Media Videogame thread

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Moékuri is truly Pokémon, I just missed an 85% and two 95% shots.

This is actually a super legit strategy game though, but more to follow as I'm only like 2/3 of the way through story mode and there's supposed to be a bunch of challenge maps to follow (not to mention multiple classes to try on the MC and a bunch of alternate characters/commanders).

Days later edit just because not posting seems to be the cool thing lately but I don't wanna look like a douche who triple posts so: I just ran into fucking Sand Veil. And boy, let me tell you how much better it is than Garchomp's shitty version...

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
It doesn't look that bad (well, cringy humor and overly generic, I guess), but I do not understand why they chose ugly 3d that doesn't look out of place for a 2007 XBLA game instead of just nice, clean sprites.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Well, the first Bubsy wasn't that bad. also in my search for old reviews apparently the first two games were bundled and released on Steam two years ago wtf

Days later edit just because not posting seems to be the cool thing lately but I don't wanna look like a douche who triple posts so: I just ran into fucking Sand Veil. And boy, let me tell you how much better it is than Garchomp's shitty version...
here I got you guys a picture

Anyone play the elder scrolls online? It's the best mmo I've ever played, crazy amount of detail and customization and it's elder scrolls. It's also been growing a ton and recently added vvardenfell for morrowind fans. Not that there aren't issues, but I'd highly recommend it. Speaking of which, any one else hyped for the Bethesda announcements at E3? Not expecting any elder scrolls news obvi, but if their supposed new rpg in space is confirmed that would be great!

Microsoft's presentation was okay. No real surprises or anything and Scorpio predictably went for the boring $500 mark, but a decent number of solid-looking games here and there (though every exclusive had a giant asterisk next to it meaning that it'll probably either be timed or on PC). Anthem was looking potentially good before I found out that it's apparently online only. Still, EA probably shouldn't have lent it to Microsoft because what I saw of their conference was pretty bad.

i like how xXboneXx is suddenly a much more appropriate name now that there's officially an X at the end too

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
So after seeing the new mario vs. rabbids stuff, I'm actually kind of interested in the game, but still really confused as to why it exists. Like the crossover itself I guess I understand, but... who thought "we have the license to put together our characters with the biggest name in video games... and we'll choose a cover shooter / RPG hybrid"? It's bizarre. Oh well; I hope we get to see more gameplay in the future, I guess.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
So after seeing the new mario vs. rabbids stuff, I'm actually kind of interested in the game, but still really confused as to why it exists. Like the crossover itself I guess I understand, but... who thought "we have the license to put together our characters with the biggest name in video games... and we'll choose a cover shooter / RPG hybrid"? It's bizarre. Oh well; I hope we get to see more gameplay in the future, I guess.
After seeing some of the gameplay I'd liken it most to the XCOM series which has me excited for what's to come. The gameplay looks pretty deeply strategic / well thought out which is a surprise given most people's first impressions of the game. I'd almost argue it looks a bit too complicated for what is presumably its target market (kids) but I don't think this is too much of a detriment honestly.

Overall I'd say Ubisoft actually did quite well at e3 this year looking at Kingdom Battle and the long awaited BGE2.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Hi! Can someone direct me to the nearest police station? I need to fill a missing items report for my wallet.

Really excited for MP4; fingers crossed that it does the original trilogy justice. Either way I'm glad to see that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about Metroid. I'm hoping Prime 4 will be to Metroid what Awakening was to Fire Emblem, in the sense of pushing the series back into the spotlight of the public eye.

I also didn't know Xenoblade 2 was in the works. The dub work was pretty cringy, and the MC rubs me the wrong way for some reason though.

Also confirmed that a new Pokémon game is in the works for the Switch after everyone got their panties in a wad over Ultra S/M being for the 3DS. Part of me hopes for it being a Colosseum/XD sequel w/ a battle & minigame mode akin to the Stadium games, though apparently it's a main series game.

Last edited:

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
This E3 probably had the best line-up of trailers in a long while, IMO. Not only from 1 company, more from the whole industry. Metroid is slowly being resurrected, Mario Oddessy is looking better than I could ever anticipate it to, BG&E is finally showing actual signs of exiting development hell, and tons of other games with potential, like the Mario+Rabbids game, Nino Kuni 2, Middle Earth Shadow of War, etc.

Ironically enough, one of the game I was the most hyped for before E3 is now one of the games I'm the most concerned for; the Spider-Man game from Insomniac games.
I'm a pretty big fan of Insomniac, they've made some of my favorite games that I can't stop gushing about, and I also loved Spider-Man 2 the Movie the game for the PS2 era consoles. So a combination of Spider-Man and Insomniac seemed like it would be a match made in heaven! Unfortunately, this trailer for game doesn't really put it in a good light. Arkham Asylum-like Combat and stealth is to be expected, since it's safe and could work well for Spiderman. What really concerns me is the amount of QTE's! Of course, there's not really way they could've made action scenes seem that dynamic while being interactive at the same time without using QTE's, but it still doesn't seem like a prime moment to show off at a massive event like E3!
Of course, the game could still be fun if they nailed the web-swinging and make it as open as it was in Spider-Man 2 and put a large focus on it, but if they did, I would've expected it to be the first thing they'd emphasize.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This wins e3 alone

Here we go
Off the rails
Don’t you know it’s time to raise our sails
It’s freedom like you never knew

Don’t look back
On the past
Say a word I’ll be there in a flash
You can say my hat is off to you

Oh we can zoom all the way to the moon
In this great wide wacky world
Jump with me grab coins with me
Oh yeahhhhh

It’s time to jump up in the air
Jump up don’t be scared
Jump up and your cares will soar away

And if the dark clouds start to swirl
Don’t fear, don’t shed a tear cause
I’ll be your 1-up girl

So let’s all jump up super high
High up in the sky
This whole town will look back aaaaand sing

You know that you’re my super star
No one else can take me this far
I’m pushing the switch
Get ready for this, ohhh
Let’s do the odyssey

Odyssy, ya see
Odyssey, ya see
Odyssy, ya see
Odyssey, ya see

Odyssy, ya see
Odyssey, ya see
Odyssy, ya see
Odyssey, Odyssey

Spin the wheel
Take a chance
Every journey starts a new romance
A new world’s calling out to you

Take a turn
Off the path
On a new addition to the cast
You know that any captain needs a crew

Take any star that you’ll move side to side
They’re just different points of view
Jump with me grab coins with me
Oh yeahhhhhhhh

Come on and jump up in the air
Jump without a care
Jump up ‘cause you know that I’ll be there

And if you find you’re short on joy
Don’t fret, just don’t forget that
You’re still our 1-up boy

So go on straighten out your cap
Let your toes begin to tap
This rhythm is a power shoe (??? Didn’t get this one fully)

Don’t worry you’re the super star
No one else can make it this far
Put a comb through that stache
Now you’ve got panache
Let’s do the odyssey

It’s time to jump up in the air
Jump up don’t be scared
Jump up and your cares will soar away

And if the dark clouds start to swirl
Don’t fear, don’t shed a tear cause
I’ll be your 1-up girl

Now listen all you boys and girls
All around the world
Don’t be afraid to get up and move

You know that we’re all super stars
We're the ones who made it this far
Put a smile on that face
There’s no time to waste
Oh, let’s do the odyssey

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i can't believe nintendo pulled such an amazing presentation out of their hat. there's no way anything tops that super mario odyssey trailer + metroid prime 4.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mario brainjacking enemies is the most amazing thing to happen in video games, ever. I am so fucking pumped. Theorymon how wet are you right now?
While I don't get sexually excited for video games, I am metaphorically as wet as Europa's underground ocean after seeing that trailer!

Believe it or not though, while I'm super hyped for Super Mario Odyssey, I'm not sure if it'll be my fave Mario game just because I tend to prefer linear Mario games to sandbox Mario games. Still, I said that about 2D vs 3D when Super Mario Galaxy came out, and the wizards at EAD Tokyo proved me wrong there!

Regardless, I think it's about time we got a new sandbox Mario game. Linear Mario has been nearly perfected with New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D World, while Super Mario 64 is a brilliant but sorta janky game, and Super Mario Sunshine was... disapointing to say the least! Super Mario Odyssey looks like a MASSIVE improvement compared to the other sandbox Marios, and I really like the fact that it seems to have a lot of hidden mini linear levels as well!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
While the $team $ummer $ale has lost its luster of years prior, Transistor is still 85% off and you should play it if you still haven't.

Can't decide whether to keep my 3DS XL or to get a 2DS. Please help me decide.

I own a 3DS XL. I never use the 3D function. I never really experience lag or frame drops. Even if I do (when Primal Groudon enters the battlefield for instance) I don't mind. I really like the size of the screens. But I hate the fact that the top screen feels so loose. That's why I'm hesitating to buy a 2DS.

I play a lot when lying in bed. That's when the 3DS XL feels stupid. The top screen keeps tilting back and forth and it annoys me to death. But the 3DS XL feels just nice when just sitting on the couch.

I've never used a 2DS before. But I can imagine it feels way more solid and sturdy, because it's simply just a solid console. I'm sure it'll be way more comfortable playing in bed than it is with my 3DS XL. And since I never use the 3D function anyway, I don't care that the 2DS doesn't have it. I'm only still concerned about the size of the screens. When playing in bed the console will be close to my eyes anyway, so then the size of the screens don't really matter. But when just sitting or hanging on the couch (when the console is way further from my eyes) the small size of the screens might become a problem...

Any advice from people who have a (New) 3DS XL and/or a 2DS? I'm asking because Metroid is coming out soon and I just know I'm going to play it till death. Hence I need the console that's most comfortable for me. If my final verdict is going to be 2DS, I'd obviously also like to know if it can run Metroid.

Can't decide whether to keep my 3DS XL or to get a 2DS. Please help me decide.

I own a 3DS XL. I never use the 3D function. I never really experience lag or frame drops. Even if I do (when Primal Groudon enters the battlefield for instance) I don't mind. I really like the size of the screens. But I hate the fact that the top screen feels so loose. That's why I'm hesitating to buy a 2DS.

I play a lot when lying in bed. That's when the 3DS XL feels stupid. The top screen keeps tilting back and forth and it annoys me to death. But the 3DS XL feels just nice when just sitting on the couch.

I've never used a 2DS before. But I can imagine it feels way more solid and sturdy, because it's simply just a solid console. I'm sure it'll be way more comfortable playing in bed than it is with my 3DS XL. And since I never use the 3D function anyway, I don't care that the 2DS doesn't have it. I'm only still concerned about the size of the screens. When playing in bed the console will be close to my eyes anyway, so then the size of the screens don't really matter. But when just sitting or hanging on the couch (when the console is way further from my eyes) the small size of the screens might become a problem...

Any advice from people who have a (New) 3DS XL and/or a 2DS? I'm asking because Metroid is coming out soon and I just know I'm going to play it till death. Hence I need the console that's most comfortable for me. If my final verdict is going to be 2DS, I'd obviously also like to know if it can run Metroid.
I've never had tilting problems with my 3DS XL, but regardless I think you should maybe look into the 2DS XL that's coming out in the near future. While it does have the tilt screen, it's also more robust and doesn't cost as much.

I've never had tilting problems with my 3DS XL, but regardless I think you should maybe look into the 2DS XL that's coming out in the near future. While it does have the tilt screen, it's also more robust and doesn't cost as much.
I see, that's one of my options as well. But the fact that it has a tilting screen already thrives me away.

Wish they'd make a 2DS XL without a tilting top screen separated from the bottom screen. Then I'd instantly buy it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)