Media Videogame thread

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The remaster of Shadow of the Colossus is pretty sweet, playing it atm. Also PS exclusive if you care about that kind of thing.

=====

Actually on that note, I feel like sharing my thoughts on it, as I'm 3/4 of the way through it. Atm my biggest gripe with it is that the story isn't currently as well-developed as I like- most of the time you kill the opposing colossus, wake up back at the main shrine, get told about the next one, head off to kill it and so on. This is so rarely interrupted that it feels like the story basically has a beginning and an end, with nothing in between, so I don't have that much of an emotional investment in the game. However, that's pretty much my only complaint about the game so far.

From a design standpoint the game is an absolute marvel. The environments are beautiful and they and the enemies you fight create this feeling of scale, of being so much smaller than everything around you. An open world makes a ton of sense here, rednering you just one small individual in a vast desolate landscape. I also appreciated the fact that the game lacks a lot of the features that characterise most open world games- there are a few exploration things to complete, but they in no way distract from the core focus of the game and there otherwise isn't really anything that can be called a sidequest. For the most part it's just you, your horse and the wilderness, and the game's all the better for it. As for actual combat, I fucking love the idea of giving the player just bosses to fight, completely cutting out boring, unchallenging low-stakes encounters that are prevalent in many other games/genres (RPGs for instance). The colossi are fantastically designed and present their own unique twist on using the game's existing mechanics. Furthermore, that sense of scale really ties in well with this, as each encounter feels like a david-goliath scenario, making it all the more rewarding when you defeat a colossus.

At present the barebones story limits my enjoyment of the game, but it's hard not to be impressed with how well-crafted this game is. It's a masterpiece, it's as simple as that.
That's basically the idea of the game. You are doing this tremendous task to save the princess but become this more and more horrific monster the longer the game progresses (did you notice you've grown horns?) You're slaughtering to save the one thing you hold dear but what does that make you? Also tell me later about the final boss, because I find that the most interesting of the beasts you face just due to its actions, and most of the actions of the beasts kind of lead to it.

The game is the spiritual successor of Ico, so if you enjoy this game maybe also give that a try (I think it's on PS4).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236602931/monster-crown-monster-taming-game-with-true-crossb

Just trying to spread the word on this title, which will be for PC, Vita, and Switch.

Basically a throwback to the GBC era where there was not only Pokemon, but many copycat games like Dragon Warrior Monsters and Medarot

The big thing with this game is it has true hybrids you create via breeding, you can even name the new species. It was successfully funded almost instantly and now only has 2 last-minute stretch goals to go, get it while you can. It's only $10 for the full game.

I am pretty excited for this game, having backed it with teh $40 tier. This is only the 2nd time I've backed a game after Indivisible on Indiegogo.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
just completed yakuza kiwami. im not usually the type of guy who likes story based games, or completing games in general. but i really enjoyed the hell out of it. i have to wait til freaking august to play the second one though!!! and then 3 is only on ps3, so ill have to deal with that shit. the things u do for love

I saw the video of the final two protagonists from Octopath Traveler, and I must say the game looks really good. I like a turn based RPG, and I'm really digging the "HD-2D" style they went with. Between that, Smash 5, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem Switch and possibly Pokémon Switch (heard some worrying rumours, but they haven't been confirmed yet) my wallet is going to be crying out for mercy.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Because of my computer being terrible, I wasn't able to redeem my Steam Key for a game that I backed quite a while back. However, that fact has changed significantly since then since I now have a new laptop that can run it well. So, I downloaded it yesterday and I started playing the thing like mad. And while I'm only about halfway through, if even that, consider this my working impression of a cute little 3D Platformer collect-a-thon known as Yooka Laylee (what, you thought it was gonna be A Hat in Time?)

Honestly, the first thing I can say straight out is that you really need to play it to get your impressions own of the game. The game has been thoroughly bashed by critics left and right, but also has also been equally adored by people, although they aren't as vocal as the haters. I didn't know what to expect coming into it: should I have been expect mediocrity or should have I expected something really good? I came in without many definitive thoughts in my head, and I am absolutely loving it. And while I think there is a significant consensus on certain things, like that camera, I really need a fresh mind and an honest play, because you could really be missing out on stuff you actually really love. If you love it you love it. If you hate it, then you hate it.

A lot of the criticisms I feel that were given to the game are actually fairly incorrect in a lot of cases. I have only hit the non-expanded Moodymaze Marsh, and I do have mixed feelings about Glitterglaze Glacier, but these worlds are vibrant, vary thematically, and are packed to the brim with stuff to do. The controls in this game are solid all the time, with crisp jumping, good weight, and even the supposedly hard-to-control Reptile Roll works perfectly, even against Rampo. I find the activities for Pagies incredibly varied, with small platforming challenges, shooting galleries, sculpture making, riddle solving, enemy waves, finding hats, racing, maze solving, and so much more I look forward to. And this all works great because of how crisp the movements are. You can't personally tell me that these challenges aren't fun, because they are. I find the characters varied in a lot of really interesting ways, the humor gets some good smirks outta me, and the worlds are overall on point.

Don't get me wrong though, there are still a few faults so far. The camera can seriously be pretty terrible at times, and can make certain things very annoying to do. Glitterglaze Glacier is kind of ehh to me because it has the tendency to be really flat and can lack a lot of varied colors. It can look very samey and takes away from the enjoyment significantly, even when there are the fun challenges to do.

But these are not the biggest of issues in my opinion, and I think reviewers are very much expressing a lot of hyperbole in these reviews for a lot of the stuff. These should not be taken as the facts of how the game is. I really recommend you experience the game for yourself before actually getting an impression before trying it.

I still have a lot of game to complete though, so I won't be expressing my full thoughts until I finished the game.

I did enjoy Yooka Laylee, I played the Switch version and I agree it's nowhere near as bad as the critics said. Personally I would Give it a 7/10. It's no Super Mario Odyseey, but it's still a fun game.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I thought the main criticisms of Yooka-Laylee was that it was faithful to old-school collect-a-thons to a fault, rather than properly taking that classic gameplay formula and updating it with modern mechanics and conveniences like, say, Shovel Knight. YL was certainly received less poorly than Mighty No. 9.

Steam decided to double down on their walking back of the whole #waifuholocaust thing with a Steam Blog post, though they ultimately committed to absolutely nothing as per Valve's usual MO. Suffice to say they plan to continue doing as little content policing as possible. I don't think it's going to change the fact they already spooked the hell out of visual novel developers though who will continue to patronize their competitors further. I'm sure MangaGamer, for example, isn't exactly going to rescind their call to third-party devs to utilize their own storefront or undo their latest deal with GOG.

Last edited:
For everyone who wanted a Pokemon MMO, the spaniard bootleg kickstarter Temtem has been successfully funded

why it even has shinies
what do you mean the MMO market is dead? that star wars MMO was totally a success , totally

For everyone who wanted a Pokemon MMO, the spaniard bootleg kickstarter Temtem has been successfully funded

why it even has shinies
what do you mean the MMO market is dead? that star wars MMO was totally a success , totally
Honestly the fact that you get to walk with your pokemon temtem is enough to sell me on it.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
PSA for Shovel Knight fans, don't forget King of Cards expansion coming very soon. Slated for second half of 2018 and according to a bit of research it is said to have tons of content. Less of an expansion and more like a game by itself from what I've read. Yacht Club Games has yet to disappoint with this IP. Plague of Shadows and especially Specter of Torment were great expansions but I think this last one is going to blow the other two out of the water, I hope.

PSA for Shovel Knight fans, don't forget King of Cards expansion coming very soon. Slated for second half of 2018 and according to a bit of research it is said to have tons of content. Less of an expansion and more like a game by itself from what I've read. Yacht Club Games has yet to disappoint with this IP. Plague of Shadows and especially Specter of Torment were great expansions but I think this last one is going to blow the other two out of the water, I hope.
iirc they said it was the last expansion for shovel knight. be sure to get it if you've made it this far.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
iirc they said it was the last expansion for shovel knight. be sure to get it if you've made it this far.
Indeed and not only that but it is also FREE for people who picked up the game early on. This level of customer appreciation in the game industry is almost unheard of in this day and time. Yacht Club Games making big moves and will most likely have a very bright future in gaming if they can keep this up.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Oh yea! God I loved those campaigns, especially Specter. King of Cards looks really freaking good, and I can't wait to play it.

A promising trailer, this is why I love Resident Evil game they never failed to disappoint me. I am so excited to play it, it really feels nostalgic.

Despite being disappointed by another E3, I think the Switch turned out to be a plattform I want to purchase now. I am rarely at home, and if I do play video games they are usually portable games on my 3DS like Pokemon. Maybe I will finally be able to play Smash Bros, perhaps even competitively again.
The Switch also is the first console I am more excited because of ports and multiplates since you can play those big games on the go like the Crash Trilogy.

Finally got around to playing Mario Odyssey and I'm surprisingly disappointed with it. Parts of it are fun (the movement is great) but it ultimately feels pretty shallow and underdeveloped. There aren't really that many platforming challenges that make full use of the core moveset, instead the game is more of a split between platforming, challenges that rely on possessed monster abilities, minigames like the face matching, and just searching for hidden moons, a lot of them are more difficult to find than they are to actually obtain. My thought was then "well, that means that exploration is probably the core mechanic" but a good chunk of the worlds are actually pretty small so it ends up being more about hide and seek than exploration. It also screws this up by adding a bunch of new moons to every world after you complete the game, so the less you do before getting to the postgame, the better since you'll spend less time retreading.

it's not a terrible game, but nowhere near what I was expecting, I think I might put it below 3D World/Land. Joseph Anderson also has a pretty good critique of the game on youtube but it's 2 hours long.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
As I am both too cheap and too poor to afford gifting a bajillion copies to steambros, I will instead merely encourage folks here who enjoy strategery gaem to purchase Moékuri: Adorable + Tactical SRPG at 60% off during steam summer sale. (That's a whole $4.79, BTW.)

In case y'alls forgot about supergarchomp
also that said, $team $ummer $ale is here and though I've too much on my plate as it is that I don't think I'll get anything myself, looking around the discounts seem slightly less half-assed than they have been the past couple years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)