OU Volcarona

[ANGRY MOTH NOISES]

[OVERVIEW]

* An amazing setup move, Quiver Dance, allows Volcarona to serve as a potent sweeper.
* Base 100 speed allows Volcarona to outspeed most Choice Scarf users after boosting.
* It has very high Special Attack backed by a powerful STAB move in Fire Blast.
* It has poor physical bulk and only a handful of useful resistances.
* It's 4x weak to Stealth Rock and is also affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
* It's checked by many Fire-resistant Pokemon due to its poor coverage options.
* It fares poorly against rain teams.

[SET]
name: Quiver Dance Sweeper
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: HP Ground
item: Firium-Z
ability: Flame Body
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Quiver Dance is the primary reason to use Volcarona, boosting Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed.
* Fire Blast is its strongest Fire-type STAB move.
* Giga Drain hits the many Water-types that resist Fire Blast and allows Volcarona to recover its HP.
* Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran, Mega Charizard X, Alolan Marowak, and Nihilego.
* Bug Buzz is a STAB attack that hits many Fire-resistant Pokemon neutrally and hits Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias super effectively.
* Inferno Overdrive is a 185-Base Power nuke that can net surprise OHKOs on many targets when Volcarona is unboosted, such as Landorus-T and Hoopa-U after Stealth Rock damage, and allows Volcarona to blow past many Fire-resistant Pokemon that could otherwise check it such as Zygarde, Gyarados, and Garchomp after they have taken some chip damage. It is also unable to miss, which can be helpful even when the extra power isn't needed.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Special Attack is used for the most damage possible.
* Maximum Speed with a Timid nature to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Tapu Lele at +1. It also allows Volcarona to outspeed Jolly Exacadrill and other fully invested Pokemon above base 87 Speed as well as Speed tie with other base 100 Speed Pokemon.
* Flame Body is Volcarona's best ability, potentially crippling physical attackers even when Volcarona is KOed.
* Firium Z allows the use of Inferno Overdrive. Additionally, it reduces damage from Knock Off and prevents Volcarona from being given a Choice item by Trick users.
* Passho Berry allows Volcarona to set up on Water types like Rotom-W and take an Aqua Jet. It also helps Volcarona take Greninja's Water Shuriken a bit better, but only the first hit will have reduced damage.
* Lum Berry prevents it from being crippled by paralysis or put on a timer by poison.

Usage Tips
========

* Controlling entry hazards is a priority due to Volcarona's weakness to them.
* Volcarona should not boost or attempt to sweep while its checks are still healthy.
* Even unboosted, Volcarona can pose a threat and check slower Fire-weak Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu.
* Volcarona can set up on Pokemon that don't threaten it such as Mega Scizor.
* Volcarona should be wary of setting up on Pokemon that often carry Thunder Wave, such as Ferrothorn and Clefable. Toxic is also a problem, so Toxic users like Mantine should not be set up on.
* Volcarona enjoys the protection of Psychic Terrain and Misty Terrain, which protect it from two commons ways of dealing with it in priority and status, respectively. You can set up in your own Terrain or use the opponent's.

Team Options
========
* Entry Hazard removal is mandatory when using Volcarona. Tapu Fini is an excellent teammate that can not only use Defog and check some Water-types and Dragon-types but also provide Misty Terrain, which blocks the status ailments that can cripple Volcarona. Latios and Latias can also use Defog, and check Water-types. Mega Sableye provides excellent entry hazard control with its ability, Magic Bounce.
* Tapu Lele provides Psychic Terrain, which protects Volcarona from priority moves, meaning Pokemon like Mega Pinsir and Azumarill have a harder time checking Volcarona. Tapu Lele can check Dragon-types for Volcarona, and Volcarona can check Steel-types for Tapu Lele.
* Volt Switch and U-turn can get Volcarona in safely.
* Stealth Rock allows Volcarona to secure OHKOs on Pokemon such as Keldeo and Assault Vest Tornadus. Many Ground-types such as Excadrill and Garchomp, can provide Stealth Rock and switch Rock-type attacks aimed at Volcarona.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Fiery Dance is 100% accurate, has more PP, and can boost Volcarona's Special Attack, but is significantly less powerful.
* Life Orb provides a significant power increase, but induces recoil.
* A bulkier set with Roost and Leftovers can be run, but it's much easier to check.
* Hidden Power Electric allows Volcarona to 2HKO Mantine.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chansey**: Chansey has immense special bulk, meaning Volcarona is unable to break through it.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types like Mantine and Toxapex resist both of Volcarona's STAB moves, and can remove its boosts with Haze; Mantine must be cautious of Hidden Power Electric, however.

**Rock-types**: Tyaranitar can potentially take one +1 Bug Buzz and easily lakes one +1 Giga Drain, and OHKOs in return with Stone Edge. Choice Scarf Nihilego can switch in on any of Volcarona's moves, even taking an unboosted Hidden Power Ground, and reliably OHKO Volcarona.

**Fast Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users above base 100 Speed, such as Garchomp, Terrakion, and Latios, can check Volcarona if it has only accumulated one boost.

**Priority**: Mega Pinsir can revenge kill with Aerilate Quick Attack. Aqua Jet from Azumarill can also stop Volcarona's sweep. Extreme Speed users like Zygarde-10% and Dragonite as well as Sucker Punch users like Bisharp can also severely damage Volcarona before it can move. None of these attacks will work against Volcarona if it is protected by Psychic Terrain, however.

Last edited:
Personally I would say to slash Psychic somewhere or at least mention it because it lets you get past Haze Toxapex
I'll add it as an OO mention cause it only hits two targets (Tox and Tentacruel).

I can't think of anything else to add so this is ready for QC.

edit: it also hits Nihilego. Might be good enough for a slash in the set. And Z-Psychic hits most of its checks for similar damage to Z-Hyper Beam (and the base move can actually be used without disaster) so that's probably better.

Good mention dood I forgot it even gets Psychic.

NOW this is ready for QC.

Last edited:
I don't think Psychic + Psychium Z is worth slashing just for Toxapex, Psychic hits literally no other target other than Nihilego, which is easily taken care of with other teammates or HP Ground, and it leaves you walled by more things than if you had the other options, most notably the Lati twins, Heatran, etc. Lum Berry or a damage reducing berry is more useful for setting up than Psychium-Z. Put it in other options at best in my opinion.

p2

Banned deucer.

[OVERVIEW]

• An amazing set-up move in Quiver Dance allows Volcarona to serve as a potent sweeper.
  • Its 100 base speed allows outspeeding of most scarfers when boosted. list some examples
  • Has very strong STAB attacks in Fire Blast and Bug buzz. mention its coverage options too which make it difficult to reliably wall
  • Has poor physical bulk, and only a handful of useful resistance. which leaves it open to priority and fast scarfers like garchomp or psyshock latios
  • Is maximally weak to all entry hazards
  • Is checked by many fire-resistant pokemon im not a fan of this, it's really moveset dependent, i would reword this to like "Although it has many coverage options, it can't run them all and different moveset combinations can leave it walled by common Pokemon."
  • Fares very poorly against rain teams.

[SET]
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Giga Drain / HP Electric
item: Lum Berry / Passho Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Quiver Dance boosts special attack, special defense, and speed; it is the primary reason to use Volcarona.
  • Fire Blast is its strongest Fire STAB.
  • Bug Buzz is a STAB attack that hits many fire resists neutrally; it hits Tyranitar and Lati@s super effectively.
  • Other attack moves:
    • Giga Drain hits many water types that resist Fire Blast, and can allow Volcarona to recover some HP.
    • HP Electric hits Mantine, Gyarados, and Pelipper.
    • HP Ground hits Heatran, X-zard, and Nihilego.
this is fine, haven't played around with hp electric, but i feel hp ground should be slashed instead.

Set Details
========

• Max SpA is used for the most damage.
  • Max speed with Timid to outspeed scarf Lando-T and Tapu Lele at +1, outspeed Exacadrill/base 88's to 99's when unboosted, and speed tie with other base 100's
  • Flame Body is its best ability, and can potentially cripple physical attackers, even on a revenge kill.
  • Lum berry prevents it from being crippled by Paralysis, or put on a timer by Poison.
  • Passho Berry allows it to set-up on Water types like Manaphy, and survive Aqua Jets. passho also means scarf keldeo can't revenge kill

Usage Tips
========

• Controlling hazards is a priority due to Volcarona's weakness to them.
  • Volcarona should not boost/attempt to sweep while its checks are still healthy.
  • Even unboosted, Volcarona can pose a threat, and can check slower fire-weak pokemon like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu.

Team Options
========
  • Dugtrio can trap many of its checks, namely Heatran, Tyranitar, Nihilego, Mega Charizard X, and Chansey.
  • Hazard support is mandatory when using Volcarona. Starmine pairs well with it, as Volcarona can check grasses for it and Starmine can check many water types. Tapu Fini provides can do much of the same, and also sets Misty Terrain, making it easier to use something other than Lum Berry. Latios and Latias can also defog and check water types. Mega Sableye beats most hazard setters, and provides excellent hazard control.
  • Volt-Switch and U-Turn can get Volcarona in safely.
you need to mention things for moveslot-based walls. cover things like ground/waters for hp groundless-volc, grasses / electrics for giga-less volc etc.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Fiery Dance is 100% accurate, has more PP, and can boost your SpA, but is significantly less powerful.
  • Psychic can hit Toxpaex, Tentacruel, and Nihilego; Z-Psychic can act as a surprise nuke that hits Marowak-A, Gyaraods, Pelipper, X-zard for large damage.
  • Charcoal can boost your Fire STAB.
  • Life Orb provides more power for all moves but wears you down.
  • A bulkier set with roost is possible, but is much easier to check.
firium-z is a cool option ive been playing around with, it's not the most useful option but it's a great nuke to have, an example benchmark which would have saved my ass once is being able to ohko mega aero after rocks. it also rips right through things like av torn too.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chansey**: Chansey has immense special bulk, and Volcarona is unable to break through it in any way.

**Entry hazards**: Volcarona is 4x weak to stealth rocks, and is also affected by spikes and toxic spikes.

**Bulky Waters**: Mantine and Toxapex resist both of your STABs, and can haze your boosts away. Gyarados and Volcanion can also check, but lack reliable recovery.

**Dragons**: Lati@s can check, but loses if Volcarona has Bug Buzz. Mega Charizard X can switch in to every set that doesn't have HP Ground. Dragonite is a reliable check, as Volcarona rarely carries anything to KO it.

**Fires**: Heatran is immune to Fire Blase, and takes very little from any of your other attacks, sans HP Ground. Alolan Marowak is also capable of checking Volcarona, and cannot be trapped by Dugtrio, but lacks reliable recovery.

**Fast Scarfers**: Scarfers above 100 base speed can potentially check you if you've only accumulated one boost. scarfers such as?

**Priority**: Aqua Jet users like Azumarill can check a weakened Volcarona. Mega Pinsir can also revenge kill with Aerialate quick attack. Other strong priority moves, like Extremespeed and Sucker Punch, can also pose a problem for Volcarona.

**Rain**: Pelipper can check Volcarona if it doesn't carry HP Electric. Rain sweepers like Kingdra and Kabutops can outpseed if Volcarona is only at +1.
1/3

Is there any merit in adding Hurricane and Flyinium-Z? Hurricane by itself can see use on rain, and Z-Hurricane hits a bit harder than Z-Psychic on everything except Toxapex. IIRC, it has a better chance of OHKOing things like Gyarados, Dragonite and Azumarill.

Is there any merit in adding Hurricane and Flyinium-Z? Hurricane by itself can see use on rain, and Z-Hurricane hits a bit harder than Z-Psychic on everything except Toxapex. IIRC, it has a better chance of OHKOing things like Gyarados, Dragonite and Azumarill.
no point running this over firium z. inferno overdrive blows back gyarados, azumarill (why aren't you giga draining this), and dragonite after rocks. in addition to this, inferno overdrive gives you a 1x 100% accurate fire move and it can be used without set up to surprise and ohko shit like landorus-t.

volcarona rain is bad to begin with. only reason it was used in bw was because the swift swim + drizzle ban.

i've played with psychicium z and it's completely inferior to firium z. here are the targets that people use z-psychic against:
alolan marowak - inferno overdrive does 86 min lol
pelipper - i would just get a second quiver dance on this so i can sweep the rest of the team, so no point clicking z-psychic
gyarados - inferno overdrive blows it back after rocks, and z-psychic might just end up being deadweight if it mevos
nihilego - 3 attacks volcarona should be running hp ground anyways.
tentacruel - quiver dance bait
toxapex - only notable target and volcarona will never be breaking stall anyways.

this is why psychium z is trash and i would just remove it completely and give firium z the hype in oo Sergeant Spooky

Thanks for the input, I've just kinda been waiting for people to reply to the thread.

I agree Z-[move with neutral coverage] is bad. It needs the SE coverage.

I do like Inferno Overdrive, you highlighted most of the main points (muscle through fire resists just by raw power) but it also allows gives Volc a high chance to KO chansey after one LO Pursuit from Weavile (or bisharp or cb ttar, who are ofc stronger) and two rounds of rocks, which is pretty nifty.

I think it should be a slash in the main set but if qc wants it in OO that's fine too.

I removed Psychic from OO. It really only notably hits toxapex, who is a lot more exploitable than most of volc's other checks cause of its passivity. For this reason it might be proper to have HP Ground be slash instead of HP Electric, which only hits a couple relatively passive pokemon. I also trimmed C&C down a bit.

Last edited:
i think the set should be like this:

[SET]
name: Quiver Dance
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Hidden Power [Ground]
move 4: Quiver Dance
item: Lum Berry / Firium Z

you really can't toss up giga drain in my opinion because it works so well with quiver dance, a move that lets you boost up past +1 on bulky special water types (tapu fini, rotom-w, pelipper, suicune, and even manaphy if it decides to switch in to you) then recover most of the damage with giga drain. giga drain also capatalizes on tapu bulu since volcarona loves to set up on that shit. the last slot goes to hidden power [ground] since the lack of talonflame and the fact that inferno overdrive blows back zardy means it's the best hidden power right now with no drawbacks. bug buzz as mention in the set for hitting tyranitar, zygarde, and latis.

then other options:
- life orb only, no charcoal lol since you'll only need the power the extra power one time in the match and that's when you click inferno overdrive
- fiery dance w/ bulkier set as you mentioned
- hidden power electric and psychic don't deserve mentions for being useless in most matchups. the one time you see a mantine, they'll usually be a heatran.

^^
imo the best set and it hasn't changed at all this generation (got better in fact), want to see what you think

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Moves
HP Ground should be the first slash over Bug Buzz. It hits more relevant targets like Heatran, Alolan Marowak, Nihilego, and Charizard X.

Mention Zygarde and Garchomp over Terrakion and Dragonite when talking about Inferno Overdrive, since Giga Drain hits Terrakion and Garchomp is more common than Dragonite.

Set Details
Firium Z should be the first item I think, Passho Berry doesn't help quite as much. Ash Greninja's Water Shuriken breaks it on the first hit, and Aqua Jet users are quite rare at the moment. Manaphy's Hydro Vortex KOs through Passho even on +1 Volcarona. Inferno Overdrive is great for battering Dragon-types like Garchomp and Zygarde, and can do upwards of 70% easily if they aren't bulky. Not missing is also key for hitting certain mons in the sweep. Passho is still decent cuz it lets you set up on Tapu Fini a little more easily, but I think it should be the second slash or Lum I'm not really sure.

Thing with Lum Berry is that Volcarona is gonna be paired with Tapu Fini really frequently so you're gonna have Misty Terrain support on some of your setup opportunities anyway. Prankster Thunder Wave is also much less common this generation.

Usage Tips
Mention to set up on mons that can't threaten you, like Mega Scizor.
Be wary of setting up on mons like Ferrothorn or Clefable since they can T-Wave.
Try to set up in terrain - if you or your opponent has Tapu Fini or Tapu Lele, their respective Terrains are helpful for Volcarona sweeps.

Team Options
Tapu Lele is also a good partner; not only does Psychic Terrain aid Volcarona by making it immune to priority, but it threatens Dragon-types and Volcarona threatens Steel-types which Tapu Lele doesn't like.

Checks and Counters
Remove hazards from this section, it should be covered in the overview and usage tips.
Mention names for Fast Scarfers - Garchomp is one.
Priority - mention Pinsir first, and also add in Extreme Speed users such as Zygarde-10%.
Bulky Waters - Toxapex should be wary of Psychic, although this is quite rare
Add a section for Rock Types. This should be headlined with Tyranitar which can take +1 Bug Buzz sometimes, and Nihilego if you aren't carrying HP Ground

2/3

Implemented all of the above, thanks.

I unslashed Lum but kept it in set details, with the par nerf (volc can just boost to +3 and still potentially sweep,) Tapu Fini, and Thundy's rarity it might be OO material now.

Not a huge deal but you should put the line about HP Ground before the line about Bug Buzz since it is now the primary slash. It might be good to explain why HP Ground is better this gen since the Lati twins are non-existent and Tyranitar gets hit hard by Giga Drain / HP Ground already. A brief mention of Swarm and why it is vastly inferior to Flame Body would be nice to prevent people from vouching for low hp swarm bug buzz shenanigans. I know you already mentioned the effects of Flame Body, but it would also be relevant in the checks and counters section as both Mega Pinsir and Azumarill are crippled by burn, and neither can OHKO with their respective priority moves unless SR is down or the latter has a Choice Band equipped. Toxapex also isn't a great switch-in to Volcarona as HP Ground will still do a good chunk of damage, and even though it can Haze, it barely does anything to Volcarona with Scald, and can't do much else. Pelipper is another bulky water to talk about since it brings rain and doesn't fear anything except a +1 Giga Drain on the switch. Mega Charizard Y also walls Volcarona regardless of the set but it is a shaky check at best due to its inability to prevent boosts and its ability boosting Fire-type moves to the point where Volcarona can 2HKO Charizard with Fire Blast at +1. Nihilego is a better scarf mention than Latios since Latios can only OHKO with Psyshock after SR.

There was a rain set back in BW, no? I think it deserves a mention since Volc is literally the only Fire-Type that is good in Rain, and so, he can check/lure several Rain Counters(cough Ferrothorn cough Gastrodon cough).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There was a rain set back in BW, no? I think it deserves a mention since Volc is literally the only Fire-Type that is good in Rain, and so, he can check/lure several Rain Counters(cough Ferrothorn cough Gastrodon cough).
Vertex covered it above:
no point running this over firium z. inferno overdrive blows back gyarados, azumarill (why aren't you giga draining this), and dragonite after rocks. in addition to this, inferno overdrive gives you a 1x 100% accurate fire move and it can be used without set up to surprise and ohko shit like landorus-t.

volcarona rain is bad to begin with. only reason it was used in bw was because the swift swim + drizzle ban.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey man
add remove
[OVERVIEW]

* An amazing set-up move in Quiver Dance allows Volcarona to serve as a potent sweeper.
* 100 base speed allows outspeeding of most scarfers when boosted.
* Has very strong STAB attacks in Fire Blast and Bug buzz.
* Has poor physical bulk, and only a handful of useful resistance.
* Is maximally weak to all entry hazards.
* Is checked by many fire-resistant pokemon. add here mention its poor coverage options.
* Fares very poorly against rain teams.

[SET]
move 4: HP Ground / Bug Buzz
item: Firium-Z / Passho Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Quiver Dance boosts special attack, special defense, and speed; it is the primary reason to use Volcarona.
* Fire Blast is its strongest Fire STAB.
* Bug Buzz is a STAB attack that hits many fire resists neutrally, and it hits Tyranitar and Lati@s super effectively. move this below hp ground
* Giga Drain hits many water types that resist Fire Blast, and can allow Volcarona to recover some HP.
* HP Ground hits Heatran, Mega Charizard X, Alolan Marowak, and Nihilego.
* Z-Fire Blast is a 185 BP nuke that can net surprise OHKO's on many targets when Volcarona is unboosted mention at least one relevant, and allows Volcarona to blow past many fire resistant Pokemon that could otherwise check it, such as Zygarde, Gyarados, and Garchomp, after they have taken some chip damage. It is also unable to miss, which can be helpful even when the extra power isn't needed.

Set Details
========

* Max SpA is used for the most damage.
* Max speed with Timid to outspeed scarf Lando-T and Tapu Lele at +1, outspeed Exacadrill/base 88's to 99's when unboosted, and speed tie with other base 100's
* Flame Body is its best ability, and can potentially cripple physical attackers, even when Volcarona is fainted.
* Passho Berry allows it to set-up on Water types like Manaphy, mention rotom insted as manaphy can hko with hydro vortex and survive Aqua Jets.
* Firium-Z allows the use of Inferno Overdrive. It also reduces damage from Knock Off.
* Lum berry prevents it from being crippled by paralysis, or put on a timer by poison.

Usage Tips
========

* Controlling hazards is a priority due to Volcarona's weakness to them.
* Volcarona should not boost/attempt to sweep while its checks are still healthy.
* Even unboosted, Volcarona can pose a threat, and can check slower fire-weak pokemon like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu.
* Volcarona can set-up on Pokemon that don't threaten it, such as Scizor.
* Volcarona should be wary of setting up on Pokemon that often carry Thunder Wave, such as Ferrothorn and Clefable. mention toxic mons too, like mantine
* Volcarona enjoys protection from Psychic and Misty Terrain, which protect it from priority and status, respectively, which are two common ways of dealing with Volcarona. You can set-up in your own terrain, or use an opponent's.

Team Options
========
* Dugtrio can trap many of its checks, such as Heatran, Tyranitar, Nihilego, Toxapex, and Chansey.
* Hazard support is mandatory when using Volcarona. Tapu Fini is a very good teammate that can not only defog, but also provide Misty Terrain, which blocks status and protects Volcarona from paralysis and poison, which can cripple Volcarona. Latios and Latias can also defog, and check water types. Mega Sableye provides excellent hazard control with its ability, Magic Bounce.
* Tapu Lele provides Psychic Terrain, which protects Volcarona from priority moves, meaning Pokemon like Mega Pinsir and Azumarill have a harder time checking Volcarona. Tapu Lele can check dragons for Volcarona, and Volcarona can check steel types for Tapu Lele.
* Volt-Switch and U-Turn can get Volcarona in safely.
mention sr support as are needed to hko some stuff, like keldeo after +1 and av torn t too. Hippo is good as resist rocks moves and can setup roccks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Fiery Dance is 100% accurate, has more PP, and can boost Volcarona's SpA, but is significantly less powerful.
* A bulkier set with Roost and Leftovers can be ran, but is much easier to check.
mention hp electric for toxa and mantine, as hp electric 2hko toxa after sr and a QD

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chansey**: Chansey has immense special bulk, and Volcarona is unable to break through it.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky waters like Mantine and Toxapex resist both of Volcarona's STABs, and can haze its boosts away; Mantine must be cautious of HP Electric, however. Toxpaex can be beaten with Psychic, but it's a very uncommon move on Volcarona.

**Fire-types**: Heatran is immune to Fire Blast, and takes very little from any of other attacks, sans HP Ground. Alolan Marowak and Mega Charizard X are also capable of checking Volcarona if it does not run HP Ground.

**Rock-types**: Tyaranitar can potentially live one +1 Bug Buzz, and OHKO in return with Stone Edge. Nihilego can check if Volcarona is not carrying HP Ground. mention how tar can survive easily a +1 giga too.

**Fast Scarfers**: Scarfers above 100 base speed, such as Garchomp and Latios, can check Volcarona if it has only accumulated one boost. add terrakion

**Priority**: Mega Pinsir can revenge kill with Aerialate Quick Attack. Aqua Jet from Azumarill can also stop Volcarona's Sweep. Extreme Speed users like Zygarde-10% and Dragonite, and Sucker Punch users like Bisharp, can also severely damage Volcarona before it can move. None of these attacks will work against Volcarona if it is protected by Psychic Terrain, however.
solid analysis, implement the small stuff i mention and QC 3/3:toast:

Couple of things to add before you send this to GP: Fix the point in the overview about saying it has strong STABs and say something more along the lines of it having a fantastic special attack supported by a very strong STAB in Fire Blast. Don't even mention Bug Buzz, which gets into my next point...

After testing and seeing others play with Volcarona, I can say that Bug Buzz should just be listed in moves. Hidden Power Ground is way better coverage and Inferno Overdrive already covers stuff like offensive Garchomp and DD Zygarde (after some prior damage of course). Latios is already taking 71% minimum from Inferno Overdrive so after Stealth Rock and one round of LO recoil, it's nearly guaranteed to be knocked out at +1. Even if you already used Inferno Overdrive, it's not exactly hard to cover Latios with teammates these days. That just leaves Tyranitar as the only notable target, which obviously isn't seen as much and isn't nearly as potent as last gen.

Also make sure you order the sentences for the moves in the same way they're organized on the set.

For the items listed, I'd just deslash Passho Berry and move it down to set details. Firium Z just makes Volcarona into such an efficient sweeper that it's hard to pass up in comparison to avoiding being revenge killed by stuff like Aqua Jet from Azumarill or Scarf Keldeo (both uncommon and frankly not that great in this meta). It's still nice for Ash Greninja's Water Shuriken and setting up on Rotom-W more comfortably though.

Be sure to change checks and counters accordingly to the moveset changes i.e. remove statements like this "Nihilego can check if Volcarona is not carrying HP Ground." or "Heatran is immune to Fire Blast, and takes very little from any of other attacks, sans HP Ground." In addition to fixing the line about Nihilego, add in that with Choice Scarf, it reliably revenge kills +1 Volcarona.

If HP Ground is the only slash, should the Fire Types section just be removed? Cause nothing in it actually beats volc if it has HP Ground.

Hootie Edit: Yeah that's fine by me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also removed dugtrio from team options cause with hp ground the only thing dugtrio traps for it is toxapex, chansey and ttar; teams with the first two are better handled by some sort of stall breaker and t-tar is pretty uncommon right now (and dedicating one slot to trap one mon is kinda dumb.) Tox doesn't handle volc that well anyway with HP ground.

this should be gp ready now.

Tory

Banned deucer.
I personally use specially defensive Nihilego. LOL at the users saying Volcarona can use Psychic on it.

252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Nihilego: 122-144 (28.9 - 34.1%) -- 1.8% chance to 3HKO

Or after Volcarona use Quiver Dance:

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Nihilego: 180-214 (42.6 - 50.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

Look what happens when specially defensive Nihilego use 1 Power Gem in return:

4 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 408-484 (131.1 - 155.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Seriously, you have got to be foolish enough to use Volcarona on a Nihilego. That is suicide. If I were you, I would switch out.

Those calcs are irrelevant as no one uses Nihilego as a special wall due to its horrible defensive typing and non-existent Defense stat. Tailoring Nihilego just to counter Volcarona seems unnecessary to me, especially when there are better options for it, such as Choice Scarf, which revenge kills Volcarona at +1, and entry hazards setting since it has access to Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock. Volcarona also commonly runs Hidden Power Ground for things like Heatran and Mega Charizard X, and now this generation, Nihilego. Additionally, like you said, no one is going to set up Volcarona on Nihilego lol. If you want to propose an alternate set for Nihilego then post it in the respective analysis thread, or the analysis discussion thread should the analysis not be available (i.e. already uploaded).

GP 1/1
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]

* An amazing set-(hyphen)up move, Quiver Dance, allows Volcarona to serve as a potent sweeper.
* Base 100 base speed Speed allows Volcarona to outspeed most scarfers when boosted Choice Scarf users after boosting.
* Has It has very high special attack Special Attack backed by a powerful STAB move in Fire Blast.
* Has It has poor physical bulk, (comma) and only a handful of useful resistances.
* Is quadruple It's 4x weak to Stealth Rock and is also affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
* Is It's checked by many fire Fire-resistant Pokemon due to its poor coverage options.
* Fares It fares poorly against rain teams.

[SET]
move 4: HP Hidden Power Ground
item: Firium-(hyphen)Z

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Quiver Dance boosts special attack, special defense, and speed; it is the primary reason to use Volcarona, (comma) boosting Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed.
* Fire Blast is its strongest Fire-type STAB move.
* Giga Drain hits the many water Water-types that resist Fire Blast, (comma) and allows Volcarona to recover its HP.
* HP Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran, Mega Charizard X, Alolan Marowak, and Nihilego.
* Bug Buzz is a STAB attack that hits many fire resists Fire-resistant Pokemon neutrally, (comma) and it hits Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias super effectively.
* Z-Fire Blast Inferno Overdrive is a 185-Base Power BP nuke that can net surprise OHKO'(apostrophe)s (NEVER use an apostrophe in a plural word) on many targets when Volcarona is unboosted, such and as Landorus-T and Hoopa-U after rocks Stealth Rock damage, and allows Volcarona to blow past many fire Fire-resistant Pokemon that could otherwise check it, (comma) such as Zygarde, Gyarados, and Garchomp, (comma) after they have taken some chip damage. It is also unable to miss, which can be helpful even when the extra power isn't needed.

Set Details
========

* Maximum special attack Special Attack is used for the most damage possible.
* Maximum speed Speed with a Timid nature to outspeed scarf Lando-T outspeeds Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Tapu Lele at +1. It also allows Volcarona to outspeed Jolly Exacadrill and other max investment pokemon fully invested Pokemon above base 87 Speed, and speed as well as Speed tie with other base 100's Speed Pokemon.
* Flame Body is its Volcarona's best ability, and can potentially cripple crippling physical attackers, (comma) even when Volcarona is fainted KOed.
* Firium-(hyphen)Z allows the use of Inferno Overdrive. Additionally, it also reduces damage from Knock Off and prevents Volcarona from getting Tricked with a choice item being given a Choice item by Trick users.
* Passho Berry allows it Volcarona to set-(hyphen)(space)up on Water types like Rotom-W, (comma) and survive take an Aqua Jet. It also helps with Volcarona take Greninja's Water Shuriken a bit better, though but only the first hit will have reduced damage.
* Lum berry Berry prevents it from being crippled by paralysis, (comma) or put on a timer by poison.

Usage Tips
========

* Controlling entry hazards is a priority due to Volcarona's weakness to them.
* Volcarona should not boost/ or attempt to sweep while its checks are still healthy.
* Even unboosted, Volcarona can pose a threat, (comma) and can check slower fire Fire-weak pokemon Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu.
* Volcarona can set-(hyphen)(space)up on Pokemon that don't threaten it, (comma) such as Mega Scizor.
* Volcarona should be wary of setting up on Pokemon that often carry Thunder Wave, such as Ferrothorn and Clefable. Toxic is also a problem, and so Toxic users like Mantine should not be set-(hyphen)(space)up on.
* Volcarona enjoys the protection from of Psychic Terrain and Misty Terrain, which protect it from two common ways of dealing with it in priority and status, respectively, (comma) which are two common ways of dealing with Volcarona. You can set-(hyphen)(space)up in your own terrain, (comma) Terrain or use an the opponent's.

Team Options
========
* Hazard support Entry hazard removal is mandatory when using Volcarona. Tapu Fini is an excellent teammate that can not only defog use Defog and check some water Water- and dragon Dragon-types, (comma) but also provide Misty Terrain, which blocks the status ailments that and protects Volcarona from paralysis and poison, which can cripple Volcarona. Latios and Latias can also defog, (comma) use Defog and check water Water-types. Mega Sableye provides excellent entry hazard control with its ability, Magic Bounce.
* Tapu Lele provides Psychic Terrain, which protects Volcarona from priority moves, meaning Pokemon like Mega Pinsir and Azumarill have a harder time checking Volcarona. Tapu Lele can check dragons Dragon-types for Volcarona, and Volcarona can check steel Steel-types for Tapu Lele.
* Volt-Switch Volt Switch and U-Turn turn can get Volcarona in safely.
* Stealth Rock allows Volcarona to secure OHKOs, (comma) on Pokemon such as Keldeo and AV Assault Vest Tornadus. Many ground Ground-types Stealth Rock setters, like such as Excadrill and Garchomp, can provide Stealth Rock, (comma) and also switch in to rock into Rock-type attacks aimed at Volcarona.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Fiery Dance is 100% accurate, has more PP, and can boost Volcarona's SpA Special Attack, but is significantly less powerful.
* A bulkier set with Roost and Leftovers can be ran run, but is it's much easier to check.
* HP Hidden Power Electric allows Volcarona to 2HKO Mantine.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chansey**: Chansey has immense special bulk, and meaning Volcarona is unable to break through it.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky waters Water-types like Mantine and Toxapex resist both of Volcarona's STABs, (comma) moves and can haze its boosts away remove its boosts with Haze; Mantine must be cautious of HP Hidden Power Electric, however.

**Rock-types**: Tyaranitar can potentially live take one +1 Bug Buzz, (comma) and easily lives takes one +1 Giga drain Drain, and OHKOs in return with Stone Edge. Choice Scarf Nihilego can switch in to Volcarona on any move on any of Volcarona's moves, even living taking an unboosted HP Hidden Power Ground, and reliably OHKO Volcarona.

**Fast Scarfers Choice Scarf Users**: Scarfers Choice Scarf users above base 100 base speed Speed, such as Garchomp, Terrakion, and Latios, can check Volcarona if it has only accumulated one boost.

**Priority**: Mega Pinsir can revenge kill with Aerialate Aerilate Quick Attack. Aqua Jet from Azumarill can also stop Volcarona's Sweep sweep. Extreme Speed users like Zygarde-10% and Dragonite, (comma) and as well as Sucker Punch users like Bisharp, (comma) can also severely damage Volcarona before it can move. None of these attacks will work against Volcarona if it is protected by Psychic Terrain, however.

It's not as big of a deal here because the analysis is only one set long, but in the future, please, please, PLEASE do some proofreading yourself using the Spelling and Grammar Standards. I shouldn't have to capitalize the names of stats and types or remove such obvious slang as "dragons" and "HP" for you.

Last edited:
Alright implemented.

Sorry for the bad job of self-proofreading CryoGyro , this was my first analysis and I didn't think to put that much effort into it. I'll do better with my Slowking analysis and whatever else I might end up doing.

This is done now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)