Volt-Turn (First LC Team)

This is my first LC team that I made and I enjoyed playing Volt-Turn in OU.
So I wanted to test my luck with Volt-Turn in LC. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions and changes.

The main point of this team is to be aggressive and try to predict and out play my oppnent by picking the right counter play pokemon.

Team Build Histroy

I started with a lead pokemon that would confuse my opponent and possibly bait my opponent into a bad play.

Voltorb was than added as a fun way to abuse my Zoura's ability to pretend to be a Ferroseed which I than u-turn into a voltorb and use explosion. (pretty douche move which i later dropped)

Next adding Gligar cause of how broken this sweeper he/she is and should be ran in majority of LC teams.

Chinchou was than added to hlp deal with annoying water and electric pokemon as well as the handy dandy volt turn it learns provides the possibility of out playing or misleading a player.

Needing a pokemon with fighting damage to deal with the annoying scraggys as well as being a good sweeper with U-Turn as well as the handy fake out.

Needing a pokemon to set up hazards and be a wall i picked Ferroseed who does a pretty well job in both Def and SDef as well as the annoying leech seed/protect combo.

Realizing that Voltorb was pretty douche move when it worked as well as the factor that people I play with started realizing what I was doing i decided to drop it and replace it with Ponyta as it adds fire damage into my team which it was lacking + its has pretty good Spd.

Than sadly the day came where Gligar was banned from LC. It was fun running him in my team and performing KOs left and right. So I needed to find a replacement which I found Archen to be a slightly degraded version of Gligar because of his ability "Defeatist" but with using Volt-Turn and having Oran Berry + agility on Archen gives him the needed ability to ignore his ability and out speed pokemon.

Changing lead pokemon into Meinfoo instead of Zorua just cause people are getting to me using Zorua as my lead as well as the popularity in fake out on turn one. With the changes i added in Staryu which aids in removing hazards.

Dropped Archen because he was to unstable and got owned when DoT. Added Murkrow who is a good scarf sweeper as well as being more dependable/stable than Archen.
Too be Continued when I come up with more changes

LC Volt-Turn Combo

Spot 1:

Mienfoo (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 238 Atk / 236 Spe / 36 Def
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
- Hi Jump Kick or Low Sweep or stone edge
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- U-turn
I choose Meinfoo to be my leading pokemon for the fact that he can be a really large threat to my opposing team. Being a very strong physical pokemon he can easily OHKO the majority of leads that I've seen or 2HKO walls that set up DoTs on the field that can easily shut down my Volt-Turn ability, as well as having the ability to U-turn into another pokemon to counter play what my opposing opponent has on the field makes him an amazing lead for my team.

Spot 2:

Murkrow (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Hp / 188 Spe / 20 SpD / 50 Def
Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
- Brave Bird
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
Replaces Archen who was really unstable and if Archen was DoT it basically became useless. Adding scarf Murkrow has aided in having a more stable pokemon as well as having multiple answers to pokemon that are starting to appear more often for me such as Misdreavus, Scraggy, Gastly, and etc.

Spot 3:

Chinchou (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 238 SpA / 220 Spe / 52 Def
Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
Another pokemon that can Volt-Turn combo and become a semi wall to take the electric dmg and water while being able to still deal significant amount of dmg.

Spot 4:

Staryu @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 SpA / 210 Spe / 80 HP
Timid (+Spe, -SpA)
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
I added Staryu for the rapid spin that saves me from DoT ability that can prove to be the true hazards to my team.

Spot 5:

Ponyta @ Choice Band
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 240 Atk / 233 Spd / 37 HP
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Wheel
- Return
- Double Kick
I really put this in my team just cause of its amazing speed and fire/fighting/normal dmg that I'm lacking in the team.

Spot 6:

Ferroseed (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Bards
EVs: 84 HP / 198 Def / 228 Spd
Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
- Leech Seed
- Shealth Rock
- Gyro Ball (was debating this or Explosion, cause everyone loves it when u Volt-Turn into an Explosion)
- Protect
Note: was thinking about using Voltorb in place of this pokemon so I can use Voltorb Spe to Explosion before enemy can do something.
I have this guy just as a wall to take dmg while being able to set up DoTs to make it easier for my Volt-Turn pokemon to come in and finish the enemy pokemon.

I would truly appreciate the help with the committee's guidance to improve my idea or team. Soz if my description suxs cause really the team is just an aggro team that baits and tries to confuse my opponent of which pokemon I will have out on the field. Not too knowledgeable on this game since i did start picking up pokemon again like 2 days ago after like a 1yr break lol...

I am not a little cup player, however as a word of advice please consult the rules of the sub-forum before posting as you need to have a detailed description of what each pokemon does for the team and why it has a place on the team e.g. to support another member, break walls etc. The link to the rules is here and welcome to smogon :)

i see alright thxs, never really thought of a detailed description when i used the team... kinda just played it as an aggro team with the ability to tag out into something to try to minimize the dmg on my pokemon lol

it seems that volt turn has now reached every tier... fml.
on to the rating, i think your descriptions are too short. but in the 20 seconds it took me to read the rmt, i couldnt see any huge weaknesses.

it seems that volt turn has now reached every tier... fml.
on to the rating, i think your descriptions are too short. but in the 20 seconds it took me to read the rmt, i couldnt see any huge weaknesses.
lol i just love Volt-Turn it so much fun but umm thxs for rating and if u come up with any suggestions or changes feel free to tell me.

I also added a new pokemon that i just worked on cause I'm not sure if Gligar is banned in LC or not. If someone could inform me, I would truly appreciate it.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Occa Berry is kinda redundant on Archeops since it hasn't a fire weakness, replace it for Flight Gem, but overall this looks like a solid LC team. You might want to add Spikes on Ferro over Protect since your team will cause a lot of switches. Because of Wifi Clause Zorua's great ability gets nerfed and because 2 of you pokes are really Stealth Rock weak, maybe you want to add Eviolite Starmie over Zorua. He is a very reliable spinner, while still maintaining the offensive pressure. For the same reason I suggest changing Ferroseed for Dwebble. He sets up as much hazards as he can and he dies. He can act as your lead then. After Dwebble dies, you can spam U-turn and Volt Switch all the way.

True Archeops weak to fire but i run the Oran Berry because of his ability "Defeatist" that cuts my dmg in half if he bellow 50% hp, that way he can take a hit and use agility and have the berry heal him above 50% allowing me to basicaly outspeed majority of pokemon. Umm.. my Ferro does has Spikes lol :D unless u mean add stealth rock which i would see as too many dots since it alrdy has leech seed + spikes. I'll test out staryu since rapid spin is something i did want just didn't know where to add lol. But wat Wifi Clause hurts Zorua? Although I sill think Ferroseed is better than Dwebble just for the fact that Freeoseed has good SpD and Def rather than Dwebble with only Def.

Thank you for your feed back.

i run the Occa Berry because of his ability "Defeatist" that cuts my dmg in half if he bellow 50% hp, that way he can take a hit and use agility and have the berry heal him above 50% allowing me to basicaly outspeed majority of pokemon.
Umm Occa Berry doesn't heal (it reduces the power of super effective fire hits). I think you mean Oran Berry (which heals 10hp when eaten).

Umm Occa Berry doesn't heal (it reduces the power of super effective fire hits). I think you mean Oran Berry (which heals 10hp when eaten).
huh opps thxs for fixing that :3 lol... herp derp fails.. should edit it now (y there so many berries lol >.<)

Bump... I made some few editions to my team as well as changes.. plz comment and leave suggestions on what i can improve on ty

Well, im confused with all the mienfoo pics and all but it looks like a solid team, try scarfing the archen though, perhaps a scarf cranidos instead?

Edit: what im trying to say is dont put the same mon in multiple places as it makes it confusing, just put them in once and explain their roles there because there are currently seven pokemon on this RMT if im not mistaken

Sorry... if it looks confusing. Because I have alternative picks for when the matches reveal my pokemon team or when they don't. I added 2 Mienfoo depending on the format of if we get to view our opponent's pokemon or not, that is the reason i have alternative selections. hmm.. i will give scarf archen a try and see how it does i just like the way it is now cause if it lives with agility buff i 3 atks to take out watever treat i need rather than just 1.

Well, maybe for future reference just say which would be the lead in situation X in their description but a solid team(a fighting type issue seems to be at hand though, two weak to it and no resist, plenty of fighting types around, too)

here are the types that may cause trouble
Fighting, Weak: Zorua, Ferroseed Resist: None
Ground, Weak: Chinchou, Ponyta Immune: Archen(drilbur who most commly uses ground has rock slide)

P.s, i would use jolly archen to outspeed drilbur which ofte only run 16 speed

well i did say which would lead in different situation (hint the "(Alternative pick...)" section

ya dilbur has been a bother lol... the only way i get around him is spikes hit him and i get lucky or i am able to lukily use my Archen (so i will try getting a jolly archen and see how it does. Cause Archen does have quite a bit of atk alrdy)

I Have been thinknig of dropping Zorua and just running Meinfoo as my lead and being able to add staryu into the team and teaching my Staryu Psychic instead of Thunderbolt.

I have also been trying out Dwebble again since i found out it can learn shell smash+rock blast (feel so left out lol). But I'm not sure wat to drop if i choose to run him.

well i did say which would lead in different situation (hint the "(Alternative pick...)" section

ya dilbur has been a bother lol... the only way i get around him is spikes hit him and i get lucky or i am able to lukily use my Archen (so i will try getting a jolly archen and see how it does. Cause Archen does have quite a bit of atk alrdy)

I Have been thinknig of dropping Zorua and just running Meinfoo as my lead and being able to add staryu into the team and teaching my Staryu Psychic instead of Thunderbolt.

I have also been trying out Dwebble again since i found out it can learn shell smash+rock blast (feel so left out lol). But I'm not sure wat to drop if i choose to run him.
The best pokemon to drop for Dwebble would be Archen, the dwebble's moveset should be Rock Blast, Shell Smash, Earthquake, Night Slash(>xscissor because it hits ghosts hard), With Adamant nature Max Spe and Attack for best results, Hold item Oran Berry

@thunderpick2 ya that is wat my current dwebble has at the moment and hmm i could try dropping Archen since Dwebble does over most of wat Archen covers except flying

wat are people's thoughts on dropping ponyta for porygon?

Porygon
Eviolite | Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpA
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Charge Beam or Fire Hidden Power

and i appreciate all the suggestions and help you all are giving

@thunderpick2 ya that is wat my current dwebble has at the moment and hmm i could try dropping Archen since Dwebble does over most of wat Archen covers except flying

wat are people's thoughts on dropping ponyta for porygon?

Porygon
Eviolite | Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpA
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Charge Beam or Fire Hidden Power

and i appreciate all the suggestions and help you all are giving
Porygon is not a very good poke to use in LC because the omnipresent mienfoo can ohko it with ease, as well as all the other common fighting types.
If you want a pokemon over ponyta, (which should be scarfed not even banded), you should you could use something like a scarfed mankey, which has a stab Close Combat, can U-Turn, an has seed bomb for frillish. also stealth rocks> spikes on ferro since it only requires 1 turn to set up and any smart opponent would switch to a fighting type when you pull in ferro

oh you're talking about Smogon Server. that can work, sorry i was thinking of PO, BTW it doesnt matter if you have 2 fighting types, especially since mankey is scarfed.

hmm so this is wat I am thinking about for the new changes to the team
dropping Archen for Dwebble, dropping Ponyta for Murkrow

Dwebble (F) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe / 38 HP
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
- Rock Blast
- Bug Bite or Night Slash
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash

Murkrow (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Drill Peck
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Substiute

or should i make my Murkrow go Choice Scarf or Life Orb build

EVs: 236 Atk / 38 SpA / 236 Spe
Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
- Brave Bird
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Icy Wind

I disagree with ponyta loosing to mienfoo, if it runs flame body mienfoo should be reluctant to touch it, if it doesnt ponyta can smash it with a STAB flare blitz anyways which mienfoo wont like at all since ponyta easily outspeeds. Ponyta is a solid choice in my opinion

Porygon is not a very good poke to use in LC because the omnipresent mienfoo can ohko it with ease, as well as all the other common fighting types.
This statement could not be farther from the truth. Just because Porygon has a weakness to the common fighting types of the tier does not mean its a bad pokemon.

hmm so this is wat I am thinking about for the new changes to the team
dropping Archen for Dwebble, dropping Ponyta for Murkrow

Dwebble (F) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Sturdy
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
- Rock Blast
- Bug Bite or Night Slash
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash​

Murkrow (F) @ Eviolite
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Drill Peck
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Substiute​

or should i make my Murkrow go Choice Scarf or Life Orb build​

EVs: 236 Atk / 38 SpA / 236 Spe
Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
- Brave Bird
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Icy Wind​
Murkrow is a good mon, mienfoo will have to take a tri attack to the face if it wants to switch in and as often as stone edge misses it will be met with unwanted status.

Murkrow should also be running super luck/insomnia on the scarf set since nothing there uses prankster not to mention heat wave+icy wind is illegal with prankster.

I personaly wouldnt change ponyta and try giving murkrow 24 HP to maximise roost recovery and the size of your subs or instead you could opt for 23 HP to let you take minimal damage from SR (21% as opposed to 25%) Since your running a max attack krow you might find brave bird>drill peck to be better, i believe it scores a 2HKO on ferroseed.

Edit;

By the way.... why the hell is staryu running max attack when its only physical attack is non stab rapid spin .-.

Why do all the mons have two natures? (now that something that realy confuses me... especialy since on some of them neither nature actualy fits the stats its taking away from or boosting, example is 'Timid Modest (+Spe, -SpA)' since timid boost speed and cuts attack while modest cuts attack and boost special attack, neither match up to the '(+Spe, -SpA)'

By the way, whats icy wind for now that gligar is banned? Maybe try dark pulse to beat slowpoke and as a secondary STAB which hits missy pretty hard. Personally i would be running +speed nature despite the scarf to tie with other 19 speed scarfers and beat scarf doduo and gastly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)