Metagame VoltTurn Mayhem

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
The validator is currently missing the clause that limits Pokemon to only using moves obtainable and valid to the Pokemon in Gen 9.

Test Replay

This currently allows Pokemon to use moves they should not be able to; Toxapex is shown using Scald (coded into the game but not on Pex) and, while not shown in the replay, Cinderace was able to use a move not present whatsoever in Gen 9 (Blaze Kick.)

Not sure who to tag to fix this, but this is not an intended mechanic for the tier.

Hope to see this fixed soon, because I never want to see this message again.
Tagging Kris to add Min Source Gen=9 to clauses. This was a pure oversight on our part and we apologize.

Hello everyone, we have a lot of announcements!
1. Please welcome KaenSoul and AlexSaysBruh123 to the VoltTurn Mayhem Council! Both of them have been very active in the VoltTurn Mayhem community and we are happy to have them onboard!

2. Next, we have our second voting slate! We voted on a number of things, and the VoltTurn Mayhem Council has decided to ban Chien-Pao, Chi-yu, and Houndstone! List of votes: *Votes are determined by a simple majority (3/5).

Chien-Pao
Chi-Yu
Dragapult
Choice Scarf
Houndstone
Aggro
BAN​
BAN​
BAN​
DNB​
BAN​
Drampa
BAN​
BAN​
DNB​
ABS​
BAN​
Yoru97
ABS​
BAN​
ABS​
ABS​
BAN​
KaenSoul
BAN​
BAN​
ABS​
DNB​
ABS​
AlexSaysBruh
BAN​
BAN​
DNB​
DNB​
BAN​
Final
BAN
BAN
NO ACTION
NO ACTION
BAN

Reasonings:
:sv/chien-pao:
Chien-Pao already has a high 120 Attack stat, and combined with its ability Sword of Ruin and its main item in Choice Band, its power is no joke. Its speed tier outspeeds almost the entire metagame, and its STAB combo Ice/Dark is great. Given the nature of VoltTurn Mayhem, the ridiculous offensive potent already gives the player very few options to deal with Chien-Pao, limited to Bulky Physical walls like Toxapex and (tera)Garganacl, and resists like Kingambit, Azumarill, Chi-Yu, and Tinkaton, and a few faster scarfers. Scarfers, however, could not effectively deal with Chien-Pao, thanks to its access to priority moves in Ice Shard and Sucker Punch, which allowed it to move faster than the target, chip or KO them, and switch out. Also, most of these "checks" are shaky and get worn down eventually due to constant pivoting. Besides, Chien-Pao also had the option to overwhelm all these answers by teraing into a type, like Tera Fighting to deal with Kingambit, Chi-Yu, Garganacl and Tinkaton, or tera normal Giga Impact to deal with the everything else. Recently, Heavy Duty Boots sets have also popped up, and although it trades off power (it does not care much due to its initial offensive power, though), it allows Chien-Pao to avoid any form of chip from hazards, allowing it to stay longer in the game. Moreover, the HDB set could afford to run Protect, which allows Chien-Pao to avoid being checked by First Impression users like Lokix and Slither Wing, which otherwise are a problem for it. As such, the council considered Chien-Pao far too much for the VoltTurn Mayhem metagame and thus it was banned.
:sv/chi-yu:
Chi-Yu's high 135 base Special Attack, combined with its ability, Beads of Ruin, which effectively gave it an Adaptability boost to all of its special moves, as well as a solid STAB combo made it an absolute offensive monster. Its primary item in Choice Scarf and 100 base Speed allowed it to outspeed most of the metagame, and its access to moves like (no drawback) Overheat, Dark Pulse, Will-O-Wisp, and Ruination pushed it over the edge. Again, given the nature of VoltTurn Mayhem, the ridiculous offensive potent already gives the player very few options to deal with Chi-Yu, limited to specially bulky Pokemon like Assault Vest Toxapex, both Tyranitars, and Ting-Lu, among a few others. However though, all these checks, again, got worn down fairly quickly and easily, and it had the option to run Choice Specs to brute force its way past these answers. If that's not enough, Chi-Yu can also Tera past these answers, like Tera grass for the Tyranitars, without caring too much about other Teras due to its immense initial power, or crippling them with Will-O-Wisp or Ruination. All this was proven to be too much for the metagame, and thus the council banned it.
:sv/houndstone:
Last Respects. I don't think I even need to say more but... this is a move that grows stronger for each fainted party member by 50bp while it also starts at 50bp, so if your Houndstone is the last Pokemon standing, it has an unprecedented 300 BP STAB move. Even if a few Pokemon are left, it can still have a 200 or 250 BP STAB move as well. This is unmanageable unless you run a Normal type as even Ghost resists can get decimated by the raw power. Houndstone, however, also had the option to cripple these normal types, thanks to its own access to Tera (Fighting) and moves like Body Presss and Will-O-Wisp. The offensive potent of Hounstone gets better thanks to its ability, Sand Rush, which, if sand is active, gives Hounstone double its base speed, allowing it to outspeed and overwhelm faster "checks". Sand only benefits from VoltTurn Mayhem, as, you don't have to worry about manual switching to bring Houndstone in. Ultimately, Houndstone was proven to be too much for the tier, and hence was banned.

:sv/dragapult: VOLTTURN MAYHEM VIABILITY LIST :sv/toxapex:
[Updated as of 03/01/2023; will eventually be replaced by VR]

:dragapult: Dragapult
:toxapex: Toxapex

HIGH
:barraskewda: Barraskewda
:cinderace: Cinderace
:dragonite: Dragonite
:garchomp: Garchomp
:gholdengo: Gholdengo
:glimmora: Glimmora
:great_tusk: Great Tusk
:hatterene: Hatterene
:iron_hands: Iron Hands
:kilowattrel: Kilowattrel
:lokix: Lokix
:meowscarada: Meowscarada
:roaring_moon: Roaring Moon
:scream_tail: Scream Tail
:skeledirge: Skeledirge
:slowking: Slowking

MID
:annihilape: Annihilape
:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:arcanine: Arcanine
:azumarill: Azumarill
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:blissey: Blissey
:breloom: Breloom
:Ceruledge: Ceruledge
:clodsire: Clodsire
:corviknight: Corviknight
:cyclizar: Cyclizar
:drednaw: Drednaw
:ditto: Ditto
:dugtrio: Dugtrio
:espathra: Espathra
:garganacl: Garganacl
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:indeedee: Indeedee
:iron_moth: Iron Moth
:iron_treads: Iron Treads
:iron_valiant: Iron Valiant
:kingambit: Kingambit
:klawf: Klawf
:maushold: Maushold
:umbreon: Umbreon
:pelipper: Pelipper
:sandy_shocks: Sandy Shocks
:scizor: Scizor
:slaking: Slaking
:slither_wing: Slither Wing
:slowbro: Slowbro
:sylveon: Sylveon
:ting-lu: Ting-Lu
:tyranitar: Tyranitar

LOW
:alomomola: Alomomola
:charizard: Charizard
:dondozo: Dondozo
:haxorus: Haxorus
:scovillain: Scovillain
:staraptor: Staraptor
:tauros-paldea-fire: Tauros-Paldea-Fire
:tinkaton: Tinkaton
:torkoal: Torkoal
We now have a Viability List! It is obviously far from complete, but it gives a general idea of how good Pokemon fares in this tier. It will be updated and replaced by a VR eventually, but until then, do not hesitate to tell us your thoughts on the ranks!

4. Sample submissions are now open! Post your submissions in this thread with a brief statement/short paragraph of why you feel it would be a great sample. And although not mandatory, posting a screenshot of your ladder peak and replays is preferred.

Yeah, that's all. Oh, and sign up for the VoltTurn Mayhem No-johns tournament if you haven't already!
Tagging Kris to implement Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, and Houndstone bans, thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I just hit top 1 on the ladder using farigiraf, which i think has a very cool niche on this tier:

Farigiraf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Armor Tail
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Twin Beam
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

To put it in context I was using a team that was strugling a lot against glimmora (even though i had a hatterene and a toxapex). So I decided I wanted to hardcountered, and farigiraf was perfect for that. Thanks to its unique move twin beam, which is a special psychic type move that hits twice, i was able to ohko sash glimmora without triggering toxic debris. Not only that, but I was also able to counter pokemon that abuse priority moves like dragonite, lokix, slither wing and scizor due to armor tail blocking priority.

Scarf is needed to outspeed non scarf glimmora (which I have run into more than I expected) and modest nature to maximize your damage since scarf timid doesnt hit very good speed thresholds. Hyperbeam is there for obvious reasons and shadow ball mainly for gholdengo and dragapult. The last move could be changed for hyper voice in order to have a more reliable but weaker version of hyper beam (the 90% accuracy of hyper beam has let me down so many times), but I like having a move that no pokemon is inmune to so I can safely click it without thinking too much.

The main weaknesses of this pokemon are its low speed tier even with the choice scarf and its lackluster 110 special atack, which forces you to tera psychic if you want to KO bulkier sets of glimmora.

Last edited:

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
First, just want to say I'm really glad to be on the council, I like VTM a lot and it's a meta that I'm proud to help lead in the right direction :) I hope with the recent bans we've passed, you all feel as confident in the state of the tier as we do. Happy laddering!

Now I'm going to talk about some ideas I've had but haven't had the chance to test extensively yet.
:indeedee: Indeedee (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Psychic
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick
- Protect

:Armarouge: Armarouge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire / Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Alternate EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Overheat
- Taunt
- Armor Cannon / Focus Blast / Filler
Psychic Terrain serves two purposes with this core: stop Priority Spam from threats like Dragonite and Lokix, and fire off powerful Psychic type moves. Scarf on Indeedee allows you to trick your scarf onto defensive pokemon, crippling them for the rest of the game, or fire off strong and fast attacks faster than threats like +1 Great Tusk. Armarouge is slower, but has the power to obliterate or cripple nearly any attempted switch-in and escape into a proper answer. I've played a few friendlies with it, and with two overbearing dark types gone, I can see a core like this performing well.

:Slowking: Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Future Sight
- Chilly Reception
- Surf / Chilling Water
- Slack Off

:Cetitan: Cetitan @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Band
Ability: Slush Rush
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Spinner / Icicle Crash
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam / Superpower
The idea is pretty simple here. Set up Future Sight and snow with Slowking and pivot into Cetitan to fire off strong, fast hits. Snow gives Cetitan a respectable defense stat of 249, meaning it can take a physical hit and deal back lots of damage. Slowking is generally a great mon in its own right, and pairs really well with strong hitters who can take advantage of Future Sight forcing out common defensive pokemon.

:Flamigo: Flamigo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Feint / Giga Impact
Scrappy CC is really hard to switch into off of base 115 attack. Handily beats Gholdengo, spams CC and Taunt, and can pivot in the face of Protect with the somewhat elusive priority Feint.

While pex is on most ppl's teams, I believe :alomomola: can be a viable alternative:

Its advantages over pex include better physical bulk, better attacking stats, as well as access to some utility moves that pex lacks:

Wish-passing is as easy as it gets in this metagame because its biggest drawback (Being forced to give up momentum as well as the fact that passing to a low hp poke means that said poke must take an attack first and actually survive in order for the Wish to heal it) is removed and with mola's massive HP stat, most mons are healed by at least 75% even without full HP investment

Mola's access to Aqua Jet allows it to deal chip damage in situations where other regens would be forced to hardswitch out

One of its main drawbacks, low special bulk is tough to exploit given that it's still enough to survive most special moves with partial investment, such that it still has better physical bulk than pex even with less EVs to put in HP

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 188 HP / 68 SpD Alomomola: 438-516 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gholdengo Thunderbolt vs. 80 HP / 176 SpD Alomomola: 416-490 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Cyclizar Hyper Beam vs. 160 HP / 96 SpD Alomomola: 433-510 (84.7 - 99.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(not that you necessarily need to run these EV spreads since most of these pokemon run scarf, but imo I'd run at least some spdef evs)

In a metagame where most fast-frail special attackers will be running Timid Scarf, mola will almost always survive at least one neutral STAB or non-STAB super effective special hit and can threaten an OHKO with Mirror Coat, which is also a helpful asset against other regen pivots by allowing it to go second and gain momentum for its team given that they mostly use special moves such as Chilling Water for pivoting

Note that I'm not trying to argue that mola is better than pex, just that it's not completely outclassed by it

Gumshoos @ Choice Band
Ability: Stakeout
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs/Iron Head

Stakeout now means that if you move second your attacks do double the damage. I don't know how practical it is, but I like the idea of tera normal cb stakeout giga impact being effectively 900 base power
252+ Atk Choice Band Stakeout Tera Normal Mabosstiff Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 423-498 (139.1 - 163.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Stakeout Tera Normal Gumshoos Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 354-418 (116.4 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mabosstiff would be the better choice by a long shot btw.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
252+ Atk Choice Band Stakeout Tera Normal Mabosstiff Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 423-498 (139.1 - 163.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Stakeout Tera Normal Gumshoos Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 354-418 (116.4 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mabosstiff would be the better choice by a long shot btw.
Why isn't Gumshoos Banded? Over even item boosted?

While lead Glimmoras look worse in this meta due to needing to switch back in so they can set a second layer of Toxic Spikes, pivot Glimmoras look quite a lot better - as if these Cramorant-Gorging ultra-lites weren't already looking good in the first place! Just manually switch the guy in or use a fast pivot and watch your opponent get baited into smacking a Glimmora yet again!
Since usually Pokemon will stay in for one turn, I would think 1 layer is actually better than 2. Toxic only does more damage than regular poison if you take damage for 3+ consecutive turns.

:slaking: If everyone thinks Slaking should be banned for its high stats, it's not just an unstoppable beast.

Slaking is severely limited by its Ability, Truant, and can be cheesed by anything that knows Protect or a similar move:
  • :toxapex: Baneful Bunker Toxapex
  • :cacturne: :glimmora: :chesnaught: Spiky Shield mons such as Cacturne, Glimmora, and (later) Chesnaught
  • :spidops: (less notably) Silk Trap Spidops

:greninja: Mat Block Greninja will likely return this gen too, but it's less powerful than the others in walling Slaking. The status of the move is pretty uncertain because right now, it's unable to be used. Since Greninja is already in the game's code, it's unlikely for Mat Block to be in the game, even after the Pokemon HOME update.

:glimmora: Personally, I think Glimmora is the best Slaking counter. It gets all entry hazards (except Sticky Web), Mortal Spin, and Toxic Debris (which only needs a physical move to trigger, so Earthquake can still trigger this), and the highly valuable move Toxic.

Since usually Pokemon will stay in for one turn, I would think 1 layer is actually better than 2. Toxic only does more damage than regular poison if you take damage for 3+ consecutive turns.
Oh I must have forgot in calcs lmao. 252+ Atk Choice Band Stakeout Tera Normal Gumshoos Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 530-624 (174.3 - 205.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even still, I would prefer Mabosstiff as it gets Play Rough and Outrage, while Gumshoos settles with EQ, and with Pult rampant, it wouldn't be as easy to predict IMO.

Submitting this team as sample:
:toxapex: :slowbro: :amoonguss: :alomomola: :tinkaton: :cyclizar: - Regen Spam Stall
After theorycrafting, I concluded that normal stall absolutely can't function here due to the nature of it making manual switching much less desirable, like one mon chips their "counter" and then goes to your mon's answer, constantly forcing chip. As such, moves need to be stopped completely for normal stall to work. So Regen spam is the only kind of stall that's viable here. Immunity spam stal might work in theory but I will leave it to someone else. Anyway, the team's goal is to set Rock with Tinkaton and then chip with Rock + Rocky Helmet. Toxic Spikes might also help but every team runs Pex these days. Take advantage of immunity, clear entry hazards with Cyclizar (Note: Don't Knock Off immediately even against Gholdengo, as Cyclizar can still clear hazards against Scarf variants due to them moving first). Tera can help flip matchups, such as Amoonguss against sun or Cyclizar to spinblock.
Edit: Replays with this team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9voltturnmayhem-1761495271
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9voltturnmayhem-1763707708
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9voltturnmayhem-1760498680-7ccb64tzk3hjqxok1g709pf1kpal14dpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9voltturnmayhem-1762460316-lk1j8g0s1iqpjc1etgo2tzfcopvntk0pw

While laddering, I also found some cool stuffs, which I will share here.
:ss/Dugtrio: :ss/alomomola:
Soak Alomomola + Tera Blast Tera Electric Dugtrio is a funny combo I saw while spectating. Dugtrio is already a pretty strong Pokemon, with things like this it can really unleash its potential.

:sv/kingambit:
Kingambit is a Pokemon that tries to ignore the OM's mechanics. The idea is you can't switch out if you are the last mon. While I tried other Pokemon like Double Dance Armor Tail Farigiraf and Houndstone, they are both meh and the latter is now also banned. That leaves Kingambit as the most potent user left, however note that other teammates should still be sufficient enough to do work, as repeated priority will still destroy it.

:sv/espathra:
In the same vein, Espathra can work, but Protect being a must and the number of Dark means running 2 attacks, which can leave it vulnerable to priority before it gets enough Speed to OHKO with Stored Power. It also is much more useless before all teammates go down, meaning Toxic Spikes can doom it immediately.

:sv/grafaiai:
Protect + Copycat surprised many opponents, and even if you see it coming it can be pretty hard to play around. Prankster helps against Scarf users, however Dark-types can be a real problem, thankfully Chien-Pao is banned.

:ss/indeedee:
I'm surprised I didn't see this more, the ability to deter priority is super valuable.

As the meta progresses, I will try to explore other playstyles, such as Trick Room since most teams are either HO or BO atm.

Last edited:
:sv/sylveon:
Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Tera Blast
- Psyshock
- Quick Attack

Just want to take a quick minute to talk about one of my favourite Pokemon of gen 9 in OMs
this thing was a beast in Full Potential with assault vest, spamming strong fairy moves
but this things power is pretty insane, specs hyper beam does work hitting slow mons and for any resists thinking they can switch in, think again

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 158-186 (51.9 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 243-287 (60.9 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 231-273 (73.3 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sylveon is honestly a beast that i think the metagame is overlooking right now, and its not just limited to specs either, I've tried a wish set and even a scarf to surprise mons thinking they could outspeed

Honestly would love to see my favourite menace get more popular

:sv/slowking: VOLTTURN MAYHEM SAMPLE TEAMS :sv/meowscarada:
[Updated as of 14/01/2023]
[Submissions Closed For Now]
[click on the mini sprites for the Pokepaste!]
:meowscarada::garchomp::dragonite::toxapex::hatterene::gholdengo:
Double Dragon Hazard Stack by KaenSoul
:lokix::great_tusk::toxapex::slowking::garchomp::dragapult:
Lokix Balance by Aggrometaile
:toxapex::dragonite::gholdengo::hatterene::cinderace::dragapult:
Double Ghost Bulky Offense by Nirvada2000

:toxapex::slowbro::amoonguss::alomomola::tinkaton::cyclizar:
Regenerator Spam Stall by longhiep341
:tinkaton::lokix::hydreigon::hatterene::iron_hands::annihilape:

Tinkaton Hazard Stack Bulky Offense by DeepFriedMagikarp
We now have sample teams! You may now use them in your Dragonite suspect run (or just for playing in general), if you don't want to/have little to no idea on how to build for the tier! Thanks to everyone for submissions. Submissions are closed for now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's about time I state my personal thoughts on the metagame.

HAZARD STACK
:sv/glimmora::sv/garchomp::sv/tinkaton::sv/toxapex::sv/ting-lu::sv/meowscarada:
At first, you may think that hazards not activating the switching mechanic may act as a momentum drain, when the format is all about keeping up momentum. And it's true, momentum drain in VoltTurn Mayhem is a major drawback. However, hazards are an exception to this. The metagame is not solely about momentum, it's also about switching, as the name of the metagame itself suggests. Naturally, the number of times Pokemon switch is higher in VoltTurn Mayhem than any other format. That's where hazards come into play: Hazards limits the number of times a Pokemon can switch. It is not possible to avoid the switching mechanic all the time (by using moves that have no direct affect over the foe, that is), so naturally, you are forced to take damage per switch, which makes progress making and maintaining momentum longterm infinitely easier for the hazard player. It is not surprising that hazard Stack is a dominant playstyle right now.
:glimmora: Hazards, hazard control, Spiky Shield: all in one package. Glimmora is a premier hazard setter of the tier, come in once, and you set up a million hazards. Access to Mortal Spin and Spiky Shield are also great.
:garchomp: Has access to both Rocks and Spikes. Offensively, Earthquake+Outrage provides great coverage, and Rough Skin is pretty good for chipping physical attackers.
:tinkaton: Mold Breaker Stealth Rock+Thunder Wave is one thing, Gigaton Hammer is another. A 160 BP STAB with no drawbacks at all?? It's one of the few mons with Knock Off, and has a great defensive typing.
:toxapex: best mon rn imo: Toxic Spikes, Toxic, Baneful Bunker, Regenerator: Toxapex is just the perfect defensive mon.
:ting-lu: It's Ting-Lu, you can't kill it/Stop it from setting hazards (No, I refuse to consider Taunt a real move: or just run mental herb ez)
:meowscarada: It gets Spikes (and Toxic Spikes). I do not like Scarada as a hazard setter, but it is a good mon.

Gholdengo
:sv/gholdengo:
"Wherever there's hazard stack, there's Gholdengo"- Unknown: Gholdengo is just the perfect mon for hazard stack: Not only does its ability Good as Gold let it block Defog, its Ghost typing also allows it to spinblock. Being a Ghost type also lets it act as a switch-in to Giga Impact and Hyper Beam shenanigans.

HAZARD CONTROL
Rapid Spin
:great_tusk: This thing is ridiculously bulky, physically. For more information, see this post.
:iron_treads:Iron treads is an alternate spinner to Great Tusk. Very solid both offensively and defensively, and the steel typing provides useful resistances.
:cyclizar:A spinner with Regenerator. Also has access to Knock Off.
Defog
:scizor: Scizor is an okay-ish pick as an offensive defogger, has access to priority in Bullet Punch and a steel typing. No other defogger works imo.

Hatterene
:sv/hatterene:
Probably the only thing keeping hazards from being broken, Hatterene is an absolute godsend for a tier like VoltTurn Mayhem. Its ability Magic Bounce not only keeps hazards away, but also bounces them to the opponent's side. Besides, Hatterene has access to many good moves, like Nuzzle, Psychic, Healing Wish, etc.

REGENSPAM
:sv/toxapex::sv/slowking::sv/amoonguss::sv/slowbro::sv/cyclizar::sv/alomomola:
In a metagame like VoltTurn Mayhem, it's not surprising that Regenspam has gained popularity. Regenerator mons can switch-in, sponge hits, spread status/move, and switch-out for free to heal. Lack of set-up also means it's difficult and annoying to kill fat Regen mons, unless you have very strong breakers on your team. longhiep341's sample team is an excellent example of a Regenspam team.

That's just about everything I had to say for now. I hope people are enjoying VoltTurn Mayhem, and please, keep posts coming!

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Dragonite has been banned from VoltTurn Mayhem!

Dragonite has been banned from VoltTurn Mayhem via suspect test, with 84.62% of eligible voters choosing Ban!

Dragonite was banned for a multitude of reasons, but Aggrometaile put it best in the original suspect test vote.​
Aggrometaile said:
Dragonite has cemented itself as an offensive staple in VoltTurn Mayhem due to Extreme Speed, amazing offensive stats, Multiscale, and great coverage. Extreme Speed deserves a special mention, as due to how VoltTurn Mayhem works, you have the option to strike before your opponent thanks to the move's +2 priority, KO or chip them, and switch-out and avoid getting KOed or chipped in return. This in-turn is further made better by Tera, as Tera Normal effectively gave Extreme Speed a 50% power boost. Additionally, Dragonite also has a 150 BP Normal-type move and a 120 BP Dragon-type in Giga Impact and Outrage respectively with no drawbacks like usual, and could tear apart anything that isn't a Ghost or a Fairy type respectively, not to mention both of these moves can be further bolstered by Tera and STAB. Dragonite's primary item in Choice Band gave it a blistering Attack stat, and combined with its amazing movepool, made it an absolute monster. Dragonite's 4th moveslot was usually Earthquake, which let it damage bulky resists like Tinkaton and Gholdengo. While Pokémon with immunities to its moves do exist, they often get melted by Dragonite's other coverage options, making them shaky and prediction reliant in most cases.
As per the results of the vote, Dragonite was banned yesterday!

tagging Kris for implementation on ladder

Last edited:
Hi yall, aggro here
:SV/TOXAPEX: VOLTTURN MAYHEM VIABILITY RANKINGS :SV/DRAGAPULT:
Alphabetically ordered
[Updated as of 30/01/2022]

S Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon that are absolutely meta-defining. These Pokemon are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

S
:dragapult: Dragapult [Choice Specs / Choice Scarf]

S-
:toxapex: Toxapex [Rocky Helmet / Black Sludge / Assault Vest]

A Rank:
Reserved for Pokémon that perform extremely well in the metagame. These Pokémon are typically considered excellent Pokémon let down by a few faults, thus keeping them out of S Rank. They typically require more support than an S Rank Pokémon, but nonetheless are very effective.

A+
:lokix: Lokix [Choice Band / Heavy Duty Boots]
:meowscarada: Meowscarada [Choice Band / Heavy Duty Boots / Focus Sash]

A
:cinderace: Cinderace [Choice Band / Heavy Duty Boots / Choice Scarf]
:cyclizar: Cyclizar [Heavy Duty Boots / Leftovers / Assault Vest / Choice Scarf]
:garchomp: Garchomp [Focus Sash / Choice Scarf / Leftovers / Rocky Helmet]
:gholdengo: Gholdengo [Choice Scarf / Choice Specs / Air Balloon]
:great-tusk: Great Tusk [ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet / Choice Band]
:indeedee: Indeedee [Choice Scarf / Choice Specs]
:slither-wing: Slither Wing [Choice Band / Choice Scarf / Assault Vest]

A-
:glimmora: Glimmora [Focus Sash]
:hatterene: Hatterene [Leftovers / Air Balloon]
:iron-moth: Iron Moth [Choice Scarf / Heavy Duty Boots / Choice Specs]
:iron-treads: Iron Treads [Choice Scarf / Choice Band / Assault Vest]
:scizor: Scizor [Leftovers / Life Orb / Lum Bery / Choice Band]
:slowbro: Slowbro [Heavy Duty Boots / Leftovers / Rocky Helmet]
:slowking: Slowking [Assault Vest / Heavy Duty Boots / Leftovers]
:sylveon: Sylveon [Heavy Duty Boots / Choice Specs / Leftovers]

B Rank:
B Rank Pokémon are typically considered good, but overall quite niche, and require much more support than a Pokémon in A or S Rank. Their flaws are also much more prominent than Pokémon in S or A Rank, making them less effective overall

B+
:barraskewda: Barraskewda
:roaring-moon: Roaring Moon
:pelipper: Pelipper
:kingambit: Kingambit

B
:alomomola: Alomomola
:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:azumarill: Azumarill
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:ceruledge: Ceruledge
:dugtrio: Dugtrio
:floatzel: Floatzel
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:iron-hands: Iron Hands
:kilowattrel: Kilowattrel
:scovillain: Scovillain
:ting-lu: Ting-Lu
:torkoal: Torkoal

B-
:annihilape: Annihilape
:drednaw: Drednaw
:skeledirge: Skeledirge
:slaking: Slaking
:tinkaton: Tinkaton

C Rank:
C Rank Pokémon are generally mediocre in metagame. They typically require much more support than Pokémon higher up the viability rankings, although they can still be effective in the right circumstances.

C+
:clodsire: Clodsire
:ditto: Ditto
:garganacl: Garganacl
:haxorus: Haxorus
:staraptor: Staraptor
:tauros-paldea-fire: Tauros-Paldea-Fire
:umbreon: Umbreon

C
:blissey: Blissey
:breloom: Breloom
:charizard: Charizard
:corviknight: Corviknight
:dondozo: Dondozo
:espathra: Espathra
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:scream-tail: Scream Tail
:tyranitar: Tyranitar

C-
:arcanine: Arcanine
:cacturne: Cacturne
:klawf: Klawf
:maushold: Maushold
:sandy-shocks: Sandy Shocks

-Items are listed for Pokemon of S and A rank. For full list of possible items, click here.
-Something being absent from or low on the viability rankings does not make it inherently bad. Experiment!
Following the Dragonite ban, we (the council) have released a brand-new VR! Yeah I know the month is about to end, but still...
Full list of votes can be found here!
On a sidenote (and as mentioned in the vr sheet), drampa's grandpa and Yoru97 have decided to abstain from this voting because of being inactive due to irl issues.
Brief reasonings (for S and A tiers):
:dragapult: It is not surprising that Dragapult has, yet again, proven itself to be a top tier threat in another OM. Its offensive profile is packed with great offenses and nearly unrivalled speed tier, and combined with its premier Dragon/Ghost typing, makes it an offensive staple. It has the flexibility to run a multitude of sets, Tera Normal Specs Hyper Beam, Tera Dragon Draco Meteor, Scarf Thunder Wave, Scarf Will-o-Wisp, Tera (Blast) Steel, etc., which makes consistent counterplay very limited, allowing Dragapult to tear apart unprepared teams.
:toxapex: Great mixed defenses, Toxic Spikes, Toxic, and access to Regenerator makes Toxapex a premier defensive pick of the tier. There's very little reason not to use it on teams other than full HO.
:Lokix: First Impression, Tinted Lens leech life. This thing has also become a top tier offensive threat, and is very annoying for unprepared teams to handle. Tera Bug Tinted Lens leech life (CB) can deal big numbers to "resists" like Toxapex, and the recovery makes it exceedingly difficult to kill.
:meowscarada: Amazing role compression mon. Revenge killer, great breaker, hazard setter, etc. all in one mon.
:Cinderace: Court change+Libero
:Cyclizar: Regenerator KnockSpin
:Garchomp: Great hazard setter and dangerous revenge killer with Scarf
:gholdengo: Gholdengo. Good as Gold is amazing, and Gholdengo has an amazing offensive profile, Make it rain, Ghost typing, etc.
:great_tusk: A (p)defensive mon packed with great offenses and rapid spin
:indeedee: Psychic terrain is extremely valuable as it blocks all forms of priority, plus indeedee is packed with good typing and speed tier
:Slither_wing: First Impression. It might seem a bit outclassed by Lokix at the start, but SWing has access to Earthquake, making MUs vs Toxapex and Tinkaton easier compared to Lokix which has to rely on tera/risk a poison
:glimmora: Best hazard setter
:hatterene: Magic Bounce
:Iron_moth: Great offenses and speed tier
:Iron_treads: Great offensive spinner, good typing
:scizor: Offensive defogger, has access to tech bullet punch and a few other good moves
:slowking::slowbro: Regen walls, fat waters
:sylveon: Inarguably the best wishpasser, sylv has access to pixilate hyper beam and quick attack, which gives it amazing offensive potential

That's it, feel free to nominate mons, and give suggestions! Also feel free to post in this thread in case you have any query! Also, SAMPLE SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN (and will always be from now on)! Please submit teams you feel should feature in the list of samples!

Also I haven't forgotten about Greninja dw, just waitin for someone to make a nom post.

Last edited:
Nomming tinkaton to A/A-
It's typing is insane for bulky offense teams as it soft checks so much, provides hard to get and very useful resistances, and provides immense support. Solid speed tier puts it above many middle speed threats. Utility in twave + knock + rocks seriously helps break defensive walls like toxapex and alomamola. These 2 are often the only things that want to switch in on you, and getting this support vs them makes breaking them far easier. Mold Breaker let's you get up guaranteed stealth rocks past Hatterene, and other neat stuff like twaving Gholdengo, breaking through multiscale, ice face, and other random stuff. Guaranteed rocks in this metagame cannot be understated, as the offensive advantage from getting early rocks + momentum played right will almost always net you a win. No other pokemon can claim to do this, not even stuff like iron head Garchomp which while extremely effective still carries an inherent risk.

Now here's the full list of Pokemon simply having a Tinkaton shores you up vs:
:Lokix:
:Meowscarada:
:Indeedee: + :gothithelle:, and other psyterrain partners
:Slither wing:
:Dragonite: (used to)
:Hatterene:
:Slyveon:
Counterleads :glimmora:, a fun play you can do is outspeed with gigaton hammer to bring it down to its sash, bounce the rocks with Hatterene, then go back to Tinkaton on mortal spin and get a free knock off, off. Then you can easily clear just tspikes (or ignore them, stealth rock/spikes are the real worry)
:Roaring moon:
:Hydreigon:
:Baxcalibur:
:Dragapult:
These 4 while it doesn't technically beat them, it resists most of their stabs and forces them to click (choice locked) eq, which can be abuseable with other immunities. Packing a dragon immunity is always very good considering how hard it is to handle these mons otherwise, and forces them to think twice. Applies as well to poison type attacks but less prevelant.
:Slaking:
:Scream tail:
:Eiscue: + :abomasnow:
And other niche things probably

The typing provides so many hard to find resistances that force your opponent to think twice and create synergistic cores. Possessing 2 immunities is very good, as I believe having any amount of immunities is by far the best thing you can be doing in VTM (besides getting up rocks, oh hey look who does that the best too). On top of that you are getting rocks chip + helmet chip (or lefties heal) which ruins mons like Choice Band Lokix. The only mu that's truly bad for it is Cinderace due to court change, but that however cannot switch in too easily. It is deceptively hard to switch into knock + especially twave when you are spamming them (rarely click gigaton btw). Therefore I think Tinkaton is a very unique and invalueable asset to bulky offense teams and deserves to be much higher in comparison to mons like slowtwins, Iron Moth, rain, sun, and all the other random mons who are all pretty mid.

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
Honestly I'm going to do a post here because this tier's fun and I wanted to submit a couple sample teams (might edit the post with some VR noms too or just create a brand new post).
:sv/sylveon::sv/toxapex::sv/iron-treads::sv/hydreigon::sv/slither-wing::sv/cinderace: dear aggro, if you're reading this, i'm so sorry
This team's built around Sylveon + Toxapex core, as they both are sturdy defensive walls that can make decent progress by either raw power (Sylveon's Hyper Beam) or by outlasting some threats with Toxic Spikes + Regenerator combo. Iron Treads on other hand kinda compresses the hazard control + hazard setter roles into one while also being the Volt immune mon on this team (also, EQ Tera Ground hits hard as hell). Hydreigon's quite overlooked imo, as it's a solid Scarf user able to spam Draco Meteor + Dark Pulse, having few resists (and some of those ''checks'' like Amoonguss or SpD Toxapex have to watch out for Earth Power) while it also offers Ground immunity to the team, allowing it to switch-in into choice-locked Garchomp, some Iron Treads sets, among others. Slither Wing is another underrated offensive mon that can also bring some utility to the table due to its access to Will-O-Wisp and its solid typing that allows it to take hits from mons like Meowscarada or Great Tusk while also having tons of offensive utility in First Impression and Close Combat. Cinderace is a cool offensive mon that's overall a solid option for most offensive-based teams due to its raw power and access to Court Change + Sucker Punch in one, plus it also hits quite hard with Giga Impact and Pyro Ball.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9voltturnmayhem-1787540930
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9voltturnmayhem-1780796913-1hh132bb7lp4vltw7zeb7zkb43l1sxopw (old replay of an old version of this team, should still work).

I will also dump a couple of teams that I don't fully expect to be sample teams, but I'd like to dump them somewhere (plus you can use them as sample teams if they're good enough).
:sylveon::garchomp::greninja::meowscarada::great-tusk::slowking:
I honestly wanted to build around the Scarf Garchomp + SpecsVeon core (s/o Aggrometaile for the idea <3), as they have few to no resists at all. Then I threw Greninja + Meowscarada afterward to complete the offensive backbone, plus Meowscarada has Spikes too, so it allows the offensive threats to go wild. Great Tusk + AV Slowking are just two of the best defensive walls available atm, and as such, they were pretty much fitting here, plus they also bring tons of needed utility to the team while not ruining the offensive pressure it's got.

:greninja::great-tusk::hatterene::dragapult::lokix::tinkaton:
Greninja Scarf is quite an offensive powerhouse (I should also credit Aggro for the set); and as such, I wanted to build a team around it, so I went for it. Great Tusk is overall a solid utility mon that brings defensive utility to the team, it works on almost every team so I don't think it needs a heavy introduction. Air Balloon Hatterene helps against Ground-Types like the already mentioned Great Tusk or Garchomp, plus it offers the necessary extra hazard control this team needs to support Choice Band Lokix. Dragapult + Lokix are just quite powerful mons per se that can fit on offensive teams very well and Tinkaton's the obvious hazard setter, it checks tons of stuff here while it's not overly passive due to Gigantom Hammer + Knock Off.

Bye guys <3

Last edited:
there has been no activity for a long while so i thought i'd make a post about the new mons

:sv/zoroark-hisui:
Zoroark-Hisui @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Illusion
Tera Type: Normal
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Bitter Malice
zoro-h has been gifted with the undisputed best typing in voltturn mayhem, normal type which gives STAB to Hyper Beam, and ghost type which blocks hbeam / giga impact. bitter malice is also a lot better here than in regular play. illusion is a broken ability, you trick the opponent into thinking you are a defensive mon (perhaps) and click hyper beam when they stay in, or trick them into clicking hyper beam / giga impact. it's also almost unwallable and only way to beat it is to correctly predict a hyper beam into a ghost and pray they dont click sball / bmalice. most av walls (pex and sking) get folded by its stab combo. it is especially very good against the common balance / bo centered builds.

:sv/walking-wake:
Walking Wake @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water / Normal
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Steam
- Flamethrower
- Hyper Beam
although sun wasnt bad before, sun has improved a lot since walking wake's introduction. The set is simple, max spa to boost spa in sun and timid max speed with scarf to outspeed things. scarf also ensures that wake isn't totally useless once sun has been lifted. the set is simple, draco meteor is very spammable and 2hkos toxapex, hydro steam and flamethrower receive a sun boost, and hyper beam to wrap things up.

:torkoal: mentioning it as it is walking wake's best partner, sun setter and also compresses hazards and hazard removal roles on sun teams.
:typhlosion:
Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
- Blast Burn
- Solar Beam
- Hyper Beam
- Eruption / Focus Blast / Lava Plume
another sun mon. it has a good speed tier with scarf and good spa with access to blast burn.

:sv/decidueye:
Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Frenzy Plant
- Shadow Ball
deci has an interesting niche as a hazard remover that is not weak to ghold (can shadow ball on the switch) and being a ghost type means it can act as a hbeam/gimpact absorber. grass type plus access to frenzy plant also makes it good vs defensive picks like toxapex and great tusk. although its stats are not the most impressive, it definitely has potential.

:inteleon: it has good spa and spe and access to hydro cannon, but lack of secondary stab makes it kinda outclassed by greninja (also slightly slower).
:samurott: ...

It's safe to say the resources are largely outdated now. if we get another ladder / tour someday, we will definitely update them as well as take action on the broken elements (right now being zoro-h and wwake). For now, that's it. Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)