SM OU VoltTurn Offense

I felt the need to add a volt-turn team to my collection. So I started off with a koko and landot core. I made this team off counters for basic threats in OU. Enjoy and all ratings are appreciated.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 Def / 4 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

First off, I have standard lando-t in terms of moves, but the ev’s I switched around to outspeed a mega-alakazam and one hit it with eq. U-Turn so that you could pivot out and keep the momentum of the team alive. The defense is just enough to hold a high jump kick from mega medicham on full health.

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Volt Switch

I made this Tapu-Koko to be able to slap most things that would threaten the team, torn-t, skarm, and hawlucha. With volt switch I can screw up greninja. Brave bird to get that flying damage on fighting types.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

This is my most interesting mon. I have roost for obvious recovery ability, bullet punch and u-turn need no explanation. Hidden Power [Fire] lets me switch into ferrothorn and scizor and one shot both.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

Standard cancer Jirachi. Iron Head for stab and 60% flinch, same with Heart Stamp. Healing wish to bring back whoever would be crucial to me winning the matchup. U-Turn lets me pivot out of mzam.

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Stealth rock anti-stall Heatran. Does a great job at what he does, although he does get screwed over by Mega Swampert, which threatens the whole team. Magma Storm for obvious reasons, Earth Power to hit fires on the switch and taunt/stealth rock for obvious reasons.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn took the place of my filler. I had no clue what to put here so I put the mon that covered up the most weaknesses, except mega swampert. Ferro is here to spread leech seed and stack hazards while sucking up physical hits from most things.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/5236d7ab0c8c9034

Last edited:
This is my most interesting mon. I have roost for obvious recovery ability, bullet punch and u-turn need no explanation. Hidden Power [Fire] lets me switch into ferrothorn and scizor and one shot both.
M-Scizor doesn't one shot opposing mega scizor with hp fire and he doesn't even 2shot ferrothorn. I know he may still beat them but its very different from ohkoing.
0 SpA Technician Scizor-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega: 180-216 (52.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Technician Scizor-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 124-148 (35.2 - 42%) -- 80.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

M-Scizor doesn't one shot opposing mega scizor with hp fire and he doesn't even 2shot ferrothorn. I know he may still beat them but its very different from ohkoing.
0 SpA Technician Scizor-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega: 180-216 (52.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Technician Scizor-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 124-148 (35.2 - 42%) -- 80.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Oh i might have not been so specific. I was referring to base stat lmao

Hi, I’d like to give to improve this team as it has potential to be quite successful.

Major Changes:

—->
1555612478244.png

Mega Medicham over Mega Scizor gives this team a very powerful wallbreaker that abuses the VoltTurn pivoting very well, much better than Mega Scizor in fact despite lack of U-Turn. This also gives a way to break past Toxapex and Celesteela way more easily and provides priority in the form of Fake Out. It also pressures things like Tornadus and Landorus, especially the latter since it can’t recover and gives your own Landorus-T more threat value.

—->

Ash Greninja over Tapu Koko gives Spikes to further help Mega Medicham, appriciates VoltTurn support, and can wallbreak and apply pressure well thanks to Spikes and it’s STAB options while maintaining high natural speed and granting another form of priority. It also helps pressure Ground-types like Gliscor and Fire-types like Heatran and the Mega Charizards, outspeeding Tapu Koko post transformation and outspeeding Tornadus pre transformation is also great utility.

—->

Magearna over Jirachi removes the redundancy of an unneeded 2nd scarfer while maintaining VoltTurn and giving a Dark resist, which you lacked before, and a more reliable switch-in for things like Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, and offensive Magearna as scarf Jirachi isn’t a great measure for any of these things.

—->

Rotom-W over Ferrothorn provides a 2nd ground immunity so Landorus-T isn’t so pressured to come into Ground-types, which it was before as nothing else even resisted ground, contributes to VoltTurn, and grants a good water resist all in one slot which is good role compression while being able to be a good physical wall and burn things.

Minor Changes:
The Landorus-T EVs should be the standard 244 atk / 64 def / 196 speed to do what your spread did and Defog over HP Ice lets you keep a Defog user while not wasting a moveslot on HP Ice when you don’t have to as with Ash Greninja and Mega Medicham, most stuff you put HP Ice for are pressured well enough and Defog is essential on almost every team in USM, especially VoltTurn.

Heatran can be 16 hp / 212 sp atk / 28 sp def / 252 speed to take one unboosted Focus Blast from offensive Magearna although this isn’t required and if you’d like to keep max sp atk for pressuring stall better, that’s pretty fair.

Threatlist:
Garchomp: This thing outspeeds all but 2 members of your team, can get up Stealth Rock easily and if rockium z, can nuke Landorus or Rotom with z stone edge and killIf helmet, it can Toxic Landorus and Rotom and get rocks up that way. And thanks to Rough Skin, Fake Out is deterred from Mega Medicham, especially if helmet. Try to get it into range of Ash Greninja, Landorus-T, or Mega Medicham if that’s all you have.

Kartana: Only 2 members of your team outspeed this thing while it can do major danage to anything that comes in. Just try to pivot around it’s often choice locked to the best of your ability and try to kill it early and scout for what item it is. If banded, Ash Greninja and Landorus-T can revenge kill it while if scarf, you can generally pivot around it decently easily as it’s quite a bit weaker. If all else fails, try to get up hazards and get it in range of Water Shuriken or Fake Out, mostly the former.

Tapu Fini: Although hazards can chip it a lot and it can’t switch into Medicham easily, as it takes over half from Zen Headbutt and is 2hkod by HJK after rocks, this thing is a pain for your as it takes on the rest of the team pretty well and throws off Scald, Moonblast, and or Defog super freely. Just try to lower it’s health through hazards, stray attacks from Ash Greninja and Mega Medicham, and Volt Switch from Magearna and Rotom-W.

Import: https://pokepast.es/1f2147da6d67408f

Hope you consider this and hope I helped!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)