LC Vullaby

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
[OVERVIEW]

Vullaby is one of the most versatile Pokemon in LC; thanks to its rich toolset and well-rounded stats, it can provide any team with invaluable role compression, being able to function as a potent pivot, an entry hazard remover, and a wallbreaker. Its STAB coverage hits every relevant Pokemon in the tier other than Pawniard for neutral damage, making Vullaby quite difficult to switch into, especially with the added threat of item removal from Knock Off. Defog allows Vullaby to serve as one of the tier's two most reliable hazard removers, owing to its immunity to Sticky Web, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. Vullaby also brings two valuable abilities to the table in Weak Armor and Overcoat; the former allows it to punish teams for hitting it by enabling it to outrun the entire metagame, while the latter protects it from Oddish's Sleep Powder. However, despite Vullaby's offensive versatility, its offenses are not elite, and it occasionally fails to hit important OHKOs or sufficiently dent defensive Pokemon like Spritzee and Shellos.

[SET]
name: Berry Juice Pivot
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: U-turn / Heat Wave
move 4: Defog / Heat Wave
item: Berry Juice
ability: Weak Armor / Overcoat
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird deals hefty damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, including bulky defenders like Timburr and Oddish. Knock Off allows Vullaby to provide tremendous utility for its team, softening opposing teams by removing Eviolites and Berry Juices from its foes while also being a powerful STAB move. U-turn lets Vullaby take advantage of forced switches by allowing it to generate momentum. Defog provides invaluable entry hazard removal. Heat Wave is an option that threatens Ferroseed and Pawniard and can force an opponent to make difficult decisions when switching into Vullaby.

Set Details
========

Vullaby's EV spread and nature can be altered to fill a highly diverse set of roles, depending its team's needs. A Jolly nature allows Vullaby to Speed tie with opposing positive-natured Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd as well as outspeed opposing Mudbray and Mareanie. The given EV spread maximizes Vullaby's damage output and, with an Adamant nature, gives it a high chance of OHKOing standard Timburr. Other viable investments include 116 HP / 76 Def, which allows Vullaby to survive Timburr's Thunder Punch or Mudbray's Rock Slide after Stealth Rock damage as well as Adamant Vullaby's Brave Bird after a Weak Armor Defense drop and Berry Juice recovery. If you're running Heat Wave, a spread of 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpA / 196 Spe with a Serious nature is optimal; the same spread can alternatively be run with a Jolly nature at the expense of being able to 2HKO Pawniard without relying on Stealth Rock damage. Weak Armor and Berry Juice have tremendous synergy, allowing Vullaby to boost its Speed and proceed to outspeed the majority of the metagame while simultaneously recovering damage taken from certain physical hits like Timburr's Mach Punch. Weak Armor can occasionally present a hindrance, though, by making it easier for strong priority users like Corphish and Timburr to revenge kill Vullaby. Overcoat is an option for teams that need a switch-in to Oddish's Sleep Powder at the expense of Weak Armor's broader utility. Berry Juice aids Vullaby by passively healing off Stealth Rock damage, thereby helping it remove entry hazards repeatedly.

Usage Tips
========

Vullaby's EV spread of choice determines the role it fills best on a team; more offensive variants function better as attackers and wallbreakers, while bulkier variants switch into attacks and remove entry hazards more reliably. The momentum generated by U-turn can be leveraged to restrict how foes switch around, especially when Vullaby is paired with a trapper; common Flying-resistant Pokemon such as Pawniard and Onix are often doomed if they switch into a U-turn and and proceed to get trapped by Trapinch and Diglett. Weak Armor can help Vullaby keep faster foes in check on teams that lack Choice Scarf users or lack Speed otherwise. Knock Off should be used to pressure bulkier teams, softening walls like Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee for other sweepers to later break through. Defog should be used to remove hazards, especially Sticky Web, whenever possible in order to reduce opposing offensive pressure.

Team Options
========

Vullaby's ability to run a variety of different EV spreads and natures to accomplish different goals make an extremely versatile Pokemon that can be molded to support different types of teams. Vullaby pairs well with trappers like Diglett and Trapinch that can remove Onix and Pawniard, two Flying-resistant Pokemon that Vullaby can U-turn out of. Setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Spritzee and Dragon Dance Onix appreciate Vullaby weakening bulkier Pokemon that might otherwise check them, such as Pawniard, Onix, and Mudbray. Ponyta appreciates the removal of entry hazards that would slow it down or limit its ability to switch in. Timburr works well with Vullaby, as it can switch into Pawniard and Onix and can provide hazard removal for non-Defog Vullaby variants. Ferroseed and Ponyta can serve as switch-ins to Spritzee.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Dark Pulse / Roost
item: Eviolite / Berry Juice
ability: Weak Armor
nature: Modest
evs: 76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Air Slash deals considerable damage to the majority of the metagame after a Nasty Plot boost and can occasionally break through Vullaby's checks with its 30% flinch chance. Heat Wave is Vullaby's best coverage move, KOing Ferroseed and heavily damaging Pawniard. Dark Pulse lets Vullaby threaten Onix and Chinchou, which it otherwise struggles against, as well as Frillish. Roost is an option over Dark Pulse, especially paired with Eviolite, to prevent weaker Pokemon like Mareanie from averting a sweep simply by wearing Vullaby down. Substitute is an another option that allows Vullaby to more easily set up on Ferroseed. Knock Off can be used to provide greater team support and soften checks like Spritzee as they switch in, facilitating a later sweep.

Set Details
========

Eviolite provides Vullaby with opportunities to set up on harder hits such as Mudbray's Rock Slide and lets it better take hits from Knock Off. Alternatively, Berry Juice gives Vullaby more staying power against would-be priority revenge killers like Timburr and Corphish by allowing it to heal while taking hits and setting up. A Modest nature and maximum Special Attack investment are necessary due to Vullaby's middling power, maximum Speed investment lets Vullaby outspeed Corphish and most Mudbray variants before boosting, and the remainder of EVs are placed in Defense to help Vullaby better take physical hits.

Usage Tips
========

This set sacrifices Vullaby's role compression for late-game sweeping potential and functions best if it remains unrevealed for as long as possible; while it is often possible to discern Vullaby's set from Team Preview, concealing its set will grant crucial free turns to set up while being treated like a physical set. Few Pokemon in the tier can OHKO Vullaby with a physical move, meaning that it is invaluable to keep its health high and force your opponent to hit it with physical moves that will trigger Weak Armor. Vullaby is typically only afforded one chance to sweep, and unless it carries Knock Off for general team support, it should never be deployed early so long as its checks are healthy and especially if it is the only wincon on its team.

Team Options
========

Vullaby appreciates Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard and Timburr to soften opposing teams, since it cannot OHKO many bulky Pokemon, such as Eviolite Onix and Mareanie, even when at +2. Timburr in particular is invaluable for its ability to draw Spritzee in and remove its Eviolite with Knock Off and clear Stealth Rock. Trapinch and Diglett can trap and remove Onix, which can switch into unboosted Vullaby and OHKO it with Head Smash. Dewpider can provide Sticky Web support, which prevents Onix and Chinchou from forcing Vullaby out before a Weak Armor boost. Ponyta and Koffing can spread status to physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, turning them into ideal setup fodder for Vullaby.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Overcoat
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Vullaby's strongest STAB move, threatening fast and frail Pokemon and bulkier Pokemon weak to Flying like Oddish and Timburr. Knock Off softens opposing teams by removing Berry Juices and Eviolites. U-turn lets Vullaby function as a fast pivot that can scout more freely thanks to its Choice Scarf letting it outpace nearly the entire metagame. Defog, while not ideal to get Choice-locked into, provides critical entry hazard removal in a pinch. Heat Wave threatens Pawniard and Ferroseed with hefty damage. Tailwind is an alternative option to provide team support on more offensive team builds.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature make Vullaby's STAB moves as powerful as possible, allowing Vullaby to revenge kill fast threats like Galarian Ponyta as well as standard Timburr. Maximum Speed investment ensures Vullaby hits 22 Speed with Choice Scarf, letting it outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, as well as Corphish after a Dragon Dance. Vullaby can opt for a Jolly nature to tie with Choice Scarf Galarian Farfetch'd as well as positive-nature Vullaby after taking a Knock Off. Overcoat is preferred over Weak Armor because the lack of Berry Juice makes Vullaby relatively frail even without Weak Armor's Defense drops, and it allows Vullaby to negate Sleep Powder from Oddish. Alternatively, Weak Armor allows Vullaby to outspeed opposing Vullaby after a Knock Off and serve as a lesser revenge killer even without its Choice Scarf.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Vullaby trades durability for increased immediate offensive presence, so it is less effective at taking hits compared to Berry Juice sets. In contrast, this Vullaby set provides Speed to otherwise slow teams, revenge kills threats like Dragon Dance Scraggy, and pressures Sticky Web-dependent offensive teams. If paired with Diglett or Trapinch, U-turn should be used early-game to remove Flying-resistant Pokemon and allow for Brave Bird to be used more freely later in the game. U-turn should also be used to scout your opponent's preferred switch-ins to Vullaby.

Team Options
========

Slower, bulkier teams appreciate Choice Scarf Vullaby's immediate high Speed and revenge killing capabilities. Teams that otherwise struggle with Sticky Web appreciate its Speed and offensive presence against Sticky Web teams. Vullaby is aided greatly by trappers like Diglett and Trapinch that can take care of Onix and Pawniard, especially off of a U-turn, and allow it use Brave Bird more freely. Teammates like Spritzee, Timburr, and Ferroseed can threaten Pokemon that can take advantage of Vullaby being Choice-locked into an unfavorable move to set up, such as opposing Vullaby, Onix, and Spritzee, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Vullaby can run a bulkier set with Overcoat and Eviolite to more reliably Defog and check Pokemon like Timburr, Oddish, and Bulbasaur, but it loses the advantages it gets from Weak Armor or Choice Scarf and is forced to play much more passively due to its reduced damage output and its frequent need to Roost. Vullaby can also take an alternative approach to a Nasty Plot sweep by running Overcoat together with Iron Defense and Roost, letting tank hits from Pokemon like Pawniard, Ponyta, and opposing Vullaby rather than outspeed them. However, this set requires more team support to sweep due to having difficulty breaking through Pokemon that resist Air Slash like Onix and Chinchou. Tailwind and Endure are niche options for Berry Juice Vullaby; the former provides team support by boosting its Speed, and the latter lets Vullaby survive a physical hit from Pokemon like boosted Shellder and proceed to revenge kill them after a Weak Armor Speed boost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Onix**: Onix takes little damage from any of Vullaby's moves other than boosted Dark Pulse and can KO it in return with Rock Blast or Head Smash; moreover, Weak Armor Onix variants can even outspeed Weak Armor-boosted Vullaby after taking a hit. Onix is an extremely sturdy Vullaby switch-in and often gains a free opportunity to set Stealth Rock or setup with Dragon Dance when forcing it out. It must be wary, however, of the threat of switching into a U-turn and being trapped by Trapinch or Diglett.

**Pawniard**: Pawniard is not threatened by any of Vullaby's STAB moves and can punish it for using Defog through a Defiant boost. Pawniard must beware, however, of Heat Wave in general and Nasty Plot variants in particular, as they can use it as setup fodder. Pawniard is also threatened by U-turn when Vullaby is paired with a trapper.

**Spritzee**: Spritzee's Fairy-type and tremendous bulk allows it to take any of Vullaby's moves with ease and KO it in return with Moonblast; however, it must be wary of flinches from a boosted Air Slash and becoming overwhelmed by taking too many hits, especially after its Eviolite has been removed due to Knock Off, as Brave Bird can then 2HKO it. Nasty Plot variants of Spritzee are frailer and accordingly less reliable as checks but can use Vullaby as setup bait.

**Status**: While many status-spreading Pokemon cannot beat Vullaby one-on-one, physically offensive Vullaby is greatly inhibited by paralysis or burn, and as such, status from Ferroseed, Ponyta, or Frillish can limit Vullaby's effectiveness.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[KSG, 32350]]
- Quality checked by: [[Fiend, 208173], [Stoward, 420389], [LilyAC, 423793]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronic, 240732], [The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Comment Remove Add
[OVERVIEW]
I don't like the overview for being so short and overly compressed but whatever. Add a quick note about its STAB coverage.

[SET]
Fine.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Nothing to change here.

Set Details
========
EV talk to the top.

Usage Tips
========

• Vullaby functions as a potent lead, threatening bulkier leads like Ferroseed with Knock Off and pivoting off switch-ins with U-Turn. Beware, however, lead Cutiefly and Onix.
Remove this.
Add a note about how the EV spread affects Vullaby's role (mostly attacker/sponge).

Team Options
========
Good.

[SET]
Good.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
I think Tailwind is a worthwhile mention. Often suits the more offensive stuff Scarf pairs with.

Set Details
========
Fine.

Usage Tips
========
  • Scarf Vullaby trades its durability for immediate offense, and thus should not be relied on as a first line of defense against Pokemon like Timburr. In contract, this Vullaby set is a more-effective check of speedy, frail threats like Cutiefly, Galarian Ponyta, and Drifloon.
I don't feel like this aligns with how I use Vullaby. I would remove Floon from this anyway, but maybe change the wording w/r/t Timburr? Just revisit this.

Team Options
========
  • Corphish, Timburr, and Munchlax appreciate Scarf Vullaby's ability to switch into Oddish and force it out reliably, though Vullaby must be somewhat wary of switching into a Strength Sap.
I really hate Scarf Vullaby as a primary method of beating Oddish. This isn't really advisable as Sludge 2hkos without rocks. Scarf vullaby isn't reliable for this end.
  • Scarf Vullaby requires teammates that can handle boosted Shellder and Onix, which may otherwise take advantage of a choice-locked Vullaby to set up and win.
Name some options like Timburr, Pawniard, Ferro.

[SET]
Good.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Good.

Set Details
========
Fine.

Usage Tips
========
  • Vullaby is typically only afforded one chance to sweep, so it should never be deployed early so long as its checks are healthy and especially if it is the only win condition on its team.
This seems at odds with the Knock Off mention. Might reword this and add a bit about Knock Off usage.

Team Options
========
Trappers.
Knock Off/item removal for Spritzee.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Fine.

Checks and Counters
===================
Nothing stuck out to me.
QC 1/3

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
OVERVIEW
:blobthumbsup:

WEAK ARMOR PIVOT

Moves

• U-turn also helps ease predictions.

Set Details
  • :blobthumbsup:

Usage Tips
  • I'd like to see a brief mention of how Weak Armor can be somewhat detrimental as it can take 40-50 from Timburr's Mach punch and 40-60 from Corphish's Aqua Jet (Putting in those exact calcs is unnecessary, just say it's more susceptible to being taken out by priority attacks ig.

Team Options

Sun teams appreciate Vullaby's ability to safely remove Sticky Webs and facilitate Oddish's sweep.
  • Oddish also helps deal with Spritzee and Shellder, as it can threaten them both with Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain.
  • Other teammates that can effectively check Shellder and Spritzee are worth mentioning. Talk about how its teammates appreciate hazard removal too - i.e vulpix.
  • Also on the subject of hazards, it's a bit of a no brainer but setting entry hazards are good too.

SCARF

Moves

Set Details

Usage Tips
  • Idk how I feel about talking about Vullaby as a lead. Like it's not inaccurate, but personally talking about leading mons is something that kinda depends on matchups so I always feel like you're making assumptions when you talk about leads unless you're dealing with straight up dedicated leads.

Team Options
  • Similar stuff to first set, I'd like to see more mentions of checks to Spritzee, Shellder etc and also mention other ways that these teammates can help Vullaby and vice versa, i.e appreciating hazard removal or providing hazard support.
NASTY PLOT

Moves

• I think Knock Off is OO material at best. Like the move is good, but I wouldn't wanna give up any of the other moves cos you're missing out on coverage options and it's job is to sweep really.

Set Details

Usage Tips

Team Options

• My opinion here is similar from the last 2 sets. Imo there's nothing wrong with repeating points from previous sets if they're still valid.

Other Options

• I like the idea of Toxic, but I've never seen Toxic Vullaby in my life, but it hits all of its switchins not named Pawniard.
  • If you're a Satan spawn like Jytcampbell then you use Iron Defense Vullaby. I wanna call it bad but it 1v1'd my Onix so I'm legally obligated to suggest it.

OO is good tbh tho so I don't really mind whether you put these in or not.

Checks and Counters

:blobthumbsup:

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[fiend,208173 ], [stoward,420389 ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

I noticed a bunch of grammar stuff, like using "Webs" and "Rocks" when it's "Sticky Web" and Stealth Rock", which I'd look into once you're writing it up to make GP's life easier

2/3 get writing

Attachments

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I have (finally) updated this analysis to QC 2. I have also taken the liberty to make some changes that I feel better reflect the state of the post-Home metagame and removed mentions of sun teams and Curse Munchlax, as neither are particularly relevant now.

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Ponya deserve a mention as a solid Vullaby check. It is able to outspeed and cripple physical variants of Vull with wisp and pressure all variants with strong Flare Blitzs. Plus, Flame Body discourages Vullaby from recklessly knocking or bbing in fear of a burn.

LilyAC

encore encore encore
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
(i checked the first few paragraphs in PM)

Team Options

Set-up sweepers such as Quiver Dance Cutiefly and Nasty Plot Spritzee appreciate Vullaby's Knock Offs as they weaken bulkier Pokemon like Pawniard, Onix, and Mudbray that might otherwise check them. Vullaby pairs well with a trapper like Diglett or Trapinch that can remove Onix and Pawniard, two Flying-resistant Pokemon that Vullaby can U-turn away from.
nitpick but i'd put the trapper sentence first

Vullaby can even work well with entry hazard setters like Onix and Ferroseed when not using Defog, as entry hazards increase the pressure Vullaby can create by forcing switches.
remove this, every team has a rock setter anyways

mention timburr as a counter to bird resists like onix and pawn, and mention fairy resists for spritzee and cutie

Choice Scarf

good

Moves

provides critical and reliable hazard removal in a pinch.
"reliable" is too much of a stretch imo

Set Details

mention that adamant ohkoes 14 def timburr

Maximum speed investment and a neutral nature ensure Vullaby hits 22 speed with Scarf
i get what you mean but i think neutral nature can be confused for no nature, you can probably just say "max speed investment ensures..."

tie at worst with opposing Vullaby after Knock Off.
say "after taking a knock off" just to be clear

Usage Tips

Scarf Vullaby trades its durability for immediate offense, and thus is less effective in absorbing hits from Pokemon like Timburr.
its less effective at absorbing hits from anything so remove the timburr mention, and say that this means you should generally try to get vullaby in via free switches

if paired with diglett or trapinch, first aim to trap bird resists so vullaby can then freely spam brave bird

use u-turn to scout for predicted switches

Team Options

mention that it fits well on teams that would otherwise struggle with web

This set requires teammates like Timburr, Pawniard, and Ferroseed that can handle boosted Vullaby, Onix, and Spritzee, which may otherwise take advantage of a choice-locked Vullaby to set up and win.
word this so that its more clear who counters who

Nasty Plot

name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
move 4: Dark Pulse
item: Berry Juice / Eviolite
evs: 116 HP / 236 SpA / 116 Spe
make the spread 76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
also in my experience eviolite has been better, so maybe slash that first unless you disagree

Moves

often breaking through Vullaby's checks through its 30% flinch chance.
imo the flinch chance isnt worth mentioning, but if you want to then i think you should use something like "occasionally" rather than "often"

Substitute is a potential option over Dark Pulse that allows Vullaby to set up on Ferroseed with impunity. Knock Off is another potential option over Dark Pulse to provide greater team support and soften checks like Spritzee as they switch in, facilitating a later sweep.
mention that these are only particularly good options when you have a reliable way to trap onix in trapinch or diglett

Set Details

116 Spe lets Vullaby hit 28 Spe after a Weak Armor boost and outspeed base even rare 19 Spe Scarfers such as Cutiefly and both Ponyta forms, and the rest of its EVs are placed in HP to maximize bulk.
the new spread outspeeds corphish and most mudbray without a weak armor boost
the defense just helps take physical hits in general

Usage Tips

great stuff

Team Options

Timburr in particular is invaluable for its ability to draw in Spritzee and knock off its Eviolite
timburr can also reliably remove rocks for vull with defog

add ponyta for its ability to burn physical attackers to make them ideal setup bait. mention koffing too if u want :3

Other Options

due to its reduced damage output.
and having to roost so often

mention tailwind and endure as fillers on the pivot set (and explain what endure is for)

Checks and Counters

Pawniard is not threatened by either of Vullaby's STABs and can punish it both for using Knock Off by then stealing Vullaby's Berry Juice with Thief, or for using Defog, which boosts Pawniard's own attack via Defiant.
the part about thief is outdated

it must, however, beware both flinch from boosted Air Slash and becoming overwhelmed by taking too many hits, especially after its Eviolite has been knocked off.
maybe mention that brave bird 2hkoes after knock off

Frailer Nasty Plot Spritzee variants are accordingly less reliable as checks.
but can use vullaby as setup bait

status from Ferroseed, Mareanie, or Frillish can limit Vullaby's effectiveness.
pony is a better example than mareanie

and finally, i suggest nasty plot is moved above scarf

qc 3/3 :D

AMGP check, implement only what you agree with
add remove comments

(there's quite a bit of fluff throughout the analysis, especially in the moves section where it's not necessary to explain what moves such as nasty plot and defog do, and there's also no need to explain stab moves most of the time. i made an effort not to cut out too much out, however, as that's generally for qc to decide.)

(also sorry for being so wordy lol)

[OVERVIEW]

Vullaby is one of the most versatile Pokemon in the Little Cup tier LC; (colon -> semicolon) thanks to its rich toolset and well-rounded stats, it can provide any team with invaluable role compression, being able to function as a potent pivot, an entry hazard remover, and a wallbreaker(remove hyphen). Vullaby's several tools and well-rounded stats can provide any team with invaluable role compression, performing several different crucial tasks and providing the glue that holds many teams together. (compressed into the first sentence) Dark- and Flying-type Its STAB coverage hits every relevant Pokemon in the tier other than Pawniard for neutral coverage damage, meaning making Vullaby can often be quite difficult to switch into for teams, especially with the added threat of item removal from Knock Off. Vullaby also brings two valuable abilities to the table in Weak Armor and Overcoat, with the former allowing it to punish teams for hitting it by boosting its speed and outrunning the entire metagame, and the latter protecting it from Oddish's Sleep Powder. However, despite Vullaby's offensive versatility, though, its offenses are not elite, and it occasionally fails to hit critical important (critical refers to critical hits) OHKOs or sufficiently dent defensive Pokemon (examples?). Vullaby is a jack of all trades and a master of some depending on the set you choose to run, and can be tailored quite well to fit a number of teams. (the overview already serves as a summary of the analysis and there's no need to summarize it)

[SET]
move 3: U-Turn U-turn / Heat Wave

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Vullaby's exceptionally powerful STAB of choice, dealing deals hefty damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, (add comma) while scoring massive hits on including bulky defenders Pokemon like Timburr and Oddish. Knock Off allows Vullaby to provide tremendous utility for its team, softening opposing teams by removing Eviolites and Berry Juices from its foes and carving a path for a teammate to serve as a win condition (subjective; fluff) while also being a powerful (remove comma) spammable STAB move. U-turn lets Vullaby takes advantage of Vullaby's ability to forced switches by allowing it to carry generate momentum. Defog allows Vullaby to serve as one of the tier's two most reliable entry hazard removers, owing to its immunity to Sticky Web, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. (this seems like something that moreso belongs in the overview) Heat Wave threatens Ferroseed and Pawniard and can force an opponent to make difficult decisions when switching into Vullaby. (i'd reframe this to say something like "and can make Vullaby difficult to switch into reliably.")

Set Details
========

Vullaby's EV spread and nature can be altered to fill a highly versatile set of roles, depending on the needs of its team its team's needs; (subjective; flows better) the given EV spread maximizes Vullaby's damage output and, with an Adamant nature, allows it to gives it a high chance of OHKOing 24 HP / 14 Def Timburr most of the time. Other viable spreads include 116 HP / 76 Def (25/15), which allows Vullaby to always survive a Timburr's Thunder Punch or Mudbray's Rock Slide after rocks Stealth Rock damage, as well as an opposing Adamant Vullaby's Brave Bird after Berry Juice and a Weak Armor defense drop and Berry Juice recovery. If running Heat Wave, a spread of 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpA / 196 Spe with a Serious nature is optimal; (comma -> semicolon) though the same spread can alternatively be run with a Jolly nature at the expense of only 2HKOng being able to 2HKO Pawniard after rocks without relying on Stealth Rock damage. A Jolly nature allows Vullaby to speed tie at worst with opposing positive-nature Vullaby, as well as guaranteeing that it outspeeds opposing outspeed Mudbray and Mareanie. Weak Armor and Berry Juice have tremendous synergy, allowing Vullaby to take certain physical hits, heal back most of its health, and then threaten with its boosted speed, outpacing virtually the entire metagame boost its speed and proceed to outspeed the majority of the metagame while simultaneously recovering damage taken from certain physical hits (such as?). Weak Armor can occasionally present a hindrance, though, by making it easier for strong priority users like Corphish and Timburr to revenge kill(remove hyphen) Vullaby. (semicolon -> period) Overcoat is an option for teams that need a sleep absorber for switch-in to Oddish's Sleep Powder (remove comma) but sacrifices at the expense of Weak Armor's broader utility. Berry Juice aids Vullaby by passively healing off Stealth Rock damage, which helps thereby helping it repeatedly remove entry hazards repeatedly.

Usage Tips
========

Vullaby's EV spread of choice determines the role it best fills best on a team; (hyphen -> semicolon) more offensive variants function better as attackers and wallbreakers(remove hyphen), while bulkier variants function more as flexible damage sponges switch into attacks and remove entry hazards control more reliably. The threat of momentum generated by U-turn can be leveraged to restrict how other teams foes switch around, especially when Vullaby is paired with a trapper; common Flying-type resists such as Pawniard and Onix are often doomed if they switch into a U-turn and then are proceed to get trapped by Trapinch or Diglett. Weak Armor can be used as a form of let Vullaby function as speed control for on teams that otherwise lack speed or lack Choice Scarf users or lack speed otherwise. Vullaby Knock Off should be used to pressure bulkier teams with Knock Off, softening crippling (subjective; repetition) walls like Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee for other sweepers to later break through. Defog should be used to remove hazards, especially webs Sticky Web, whenever possible as in order to reduce opposing offensive pressure.

Team Options
========

Vullaby's ability to run a variety of different EV spreads and natures to accomplish different goals make it an extremely versatile Pokemon that can be molded to support many different types of teams. Vullaby's greatest strength is the role compression it provides. (fluff) Vullaby pairs well with a trappers like Diglett or Trapinch that can remove Onix and Pawniard, two Flying-resistant Pokemon Flying-type resists that Vullaby can U-turn away from out of. Setup(remove hyphen) sweepers such as Quiver Dance Cutiefly and Nasty Plot Spritzee appreciate Vullaby's Knock Offs as they weakening bulkier Pokemon that might otherwise check them like Pawniard, Onix, and Mudbray that might otherwise check them with Knock Off. Vullaby's ability to threaten and weaken Ferroseed in a variety of ways makes it a natural partner for to Cutiefly, which otherwise struggles to break through Ferroseed it. Cutiefly also appreciates the removal of Vullaby removing entry hazards that would slow it down or limit its switch-ins, as does Ponyta. Timburr works well with Vullaby as it can switching into the Flying-resistant Pawniard and Onix and can provide hazard removal for non-Defog Vullaby variants when it does not carry defog itself. Ferroseed and Ponyta can serve as switch-ins for to Fairy-types like Cutiefly and Spritzee that force Vullaby out.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
move 4: Dark Pulse

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot allows Vullaby to boost its mediocre special attack stat sky-high and unleash devastating sweeps on weakened teams. (no need to explain what nasty plot does) Air Slash is Vullaby's STAB of choice, dealing chunks of deals considerable damage to most the majority of the metagame after a Nasty Plot boost and can occasionally breaking through Vullaby's checks through with its 30% flinch chance to flinch. Heat Wave is Vullaby's best coverage option move, destroying KOing Ferroseed and heavily damaging Pawniard even before a boost (in the moves section you only specify a boost if it's there, otherwise there's no need). Dark Pulse is a perfectly accurate STAB with a lower flinch rate that hits Onix and Frillish hard lets Vullaby threaten Onix, which it otherwise struggles against, as well as Frillish. Substitute is a potential an option over Dark Pulse that allows Vullaby to more easily set up on Ferroseed with impunity. Knock Off is another potential option over Dark Pulse to that provides greater team support and softens checks to Vullaby like Spritzee as they switch in, facilitating a later sweep. Roost can be used, especially if paired with Eviolite, to prevent weaker Pokemon like Mareanie from preventing averting (subjective; repetition) a sweep simply by wearing Vullaby down. Beware, though, that any set that forgoes Dark Pulse requires support from Diglett or Trapinch to reliably remove Onix. (merged this into the dark pulse bullet. removed the trappers mention because team options belong, well, in team options and not here)

Set Details
========

Weak Armor allows Vullaby to take a weaker physical hit, set up a Nasty Plot, and then sweep by outpacing nearly the entire metagame. Few Pokemon can OHKO Vullaby with a physical move, meaning that if Vullaby is at full health, it can set up on Pokemon like Pawniard which are forced to trigger Weak Armor or switch out. (this portion reads out more like a usage tip than a set detail, and regardless i don't think you need to explain weak armor again as it was done in the overview and the previous set already) Eviolite provides Vullaby with opportunities to set up on harder hits such as Mudbray's Rock Slide after rocks (you survive it regardless so there's no need for this), as well as allowing it to survive a non-Life Orb Cutiefly's Moonblast from full health. (comma -> period) while Alternatively, (add comma) Berry Juice gives Vullaby more staying power against would-be priority revenge killers (examples?) by allowing it to heal while taking hits and setting up. A Modest nature and maximum SpA Special Attack investment EVs are necessary due to Vullaby's middling power, (semicolon -> comma) maximum Speed investment lets Vullaby outpseed outspeed all Corphish and most Mudbray variants before boosting, and the rest remainder of its EVs (subjective; flows better) are placed in Defense to help Vullaby better take physical hits.

Usage Tips
========

The Nasty Plot This set sacrifices Vullaby's role compression for a potentially game-ending late-game sweeping potential, and thus this Vullaby it should not be treated as the a pivot and check to certain threats that in a similar vein to the physical Berry Juice set provides. This set functions best if it remains unrevealed for as long as possible; (hyphen -> semicolon) while it is often possible to discern Vullaby's set from team preview, hiding concealing Vullaby's set will grant crucial free turns to set up while being treated like a physical set. Few Pokemon in the tier can OHKO Vullaby with a physical move, meaning that it is invaluable to keep Vullaby's health high and force your opponent to hit it with physical moves that will trigger Weak Armor. Vullaby is typically only afforded one chance to sweep, and unless it carries Knock Off for general team support, (add comma) it should never be deployed early so long as its checks are healthy and especially if it is the only win condition on its team.

Team Options
========

Since Nasty Plot Vullaby usually cannot soften teams with its own Knock Off, it appreciates Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard and Timburr to soften opposing teams; even at +2, it cannot OHKO many bulky Pokemon (such as?). Timburr in particular is invaluable for its ability to draw in Spritzee in and knock off its Eviolite, as well as removing rocks to remove Stealth Rock. Trapinch and Diglett can both trap and remove Onix, which can switch into an unboosted Vullaby and OHKO it with Head Smash. Cutiefly can provide dual screens support which virtually guarantees that Vullaby can get off a Nasty Plot boost, as well as Sticky Web support that prevents opposing Cutiefly and Onix from forcing out Vullaby out before a Weak Armor boost. Ponyta and Koffing can spread burns on status to physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, making turning them into ideal setup(remove hyphen) fodder for Vullaby.

[SET]
move 3: U-Turn U-turn

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Vullaby's strongest STAB move, cleaving through threatening fast and frail threats like Cutiefly. Knock Off is a strong, spammable STAB that softens opposing teams by removing Berry Juices and Eviolites. U-turn provides a fast pivot that lets Vullaby function as a fast pivot that can more freely use to scout more freely, thanks to its Choice Scarf boosting its speed to and letting it outpace nearly the entire metagame. Defog, while not an ideal to get choice-locked move into, provides critical entry hazard removal in a pinch. Heat Wave threatens Pawniard and Ferroseed with hefty damage. Tailwind is an alternative option to provide team support on more offensive team builds.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature makes Vullaby's STABs STAB moves as powerful as possible, best allowing Vullaby to revenge kill (remove hyphen) speedy fast threats(such as?), (add comma) and freely fire off strong Brave Birds and Knock Offs, as well as allowing Vullaby to OHKO 14 Def Timburr. Maximum speed investment ensures Vullaby hits 22 Speed with Scarf, letting it outspeeding the entire unboosted metagame, (add comma) and always outspeeding as well as Corphish after a Dragon Dance boost. Vullaby can opt for a Jolly nature to speed tie with Choice Scarf Rufflet and tie at worst with opposing Vullaby after taking a Knock Off (the +2 boost from weak armor is greater than the +1 provided by scarf). Overcoat is preferable to preferred over Weak Armor because the lack of Berry Juice makes Vullaby relatively frail even without Weak Armor's defense drops, (add comma) and to it also allows Vullaby to absorb negate Sleep Powder from opposing Oddish. (comma -> period) although Alternatively, Weak Armor allows Vullaby to outspeed opposing Vullaby after a Knock Off and serve as a lesser form of speed control even without its Choice Scarf.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Vullaby trades its durability for increased immediate offense offensive presence, and thus is less effective in absorbing at taking hits than compared to Berry Juice sets. In contrast, this Vullaby set is a more effective(remove hyphen) at checking of speedy, frail threats like Cutiefly and threatening webs-dependent offensive teams dependent on Sticky Web for speed control. If paired with Diglett or Trapinch, U-turn should be used early in games during early-game to remove Flying-type resists and allow for later Brave Bird spam to be used more freely later in the game. U-turn should also be used to scout for your opponent's preferred switch-ins to Vullaby. This set can often surprise Cutiefly with a OHKO after double switches or in lead vs. lead in one-on-one scenarios.

Team Options
========

Slower, bulkier teams appreciate Choice Scarf Vullaby's immediate speed control and ability to revenge killing(remove hyphen) capabilities. Teams that otherwise struggle with webs Sticky Web appreciate Scarf Vullaby's speed and offensive presence against webs Sticky Web teams. Scarf Vullaby is aided greatly by trappers like Diglett and Trapinch which that can remove Onix and Pawniard, especially off a U-turn, (add comma) and allow it to use Brave Bird more freely(remove hyphen) spam Brave Bird. This set requires Teammates like Spritzee, Timburr, and Ferroseed that can handle boosted Vullaby, Onix, and Spritzee, respectively, which may otherwise that can take advantage of a Vullaby being choice-locked Vullaby into an unfavorable move to set up and win, (period -> comma) such as opposing Vullaby, Onix, and Spritzee, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Vullaby can run a bulkier set with Overcoat and Eviolite to more reliably Defog and check Pokemon like Timburr and Oddish, but it loses its utility as in speed control and is forced to play much more passively due to its reduced damage output and its frequent need to Roost. Vullaby can also take an alternative approach to a Nasty Plot sweep by running Overcoat and a set together with Iron Defense and Roost, choosing to letting it tank hits from Pokemon (such as?) rather than outspeed them. However, this set requires more team support to sweep due to being severely threatened by fast special attackers like Cutiefly and having difficulty breaking to break through Pokemon (such as?) that resist Air Slash. Tailwind and Endure are niche options for Berry Juice Vullaby; the former provides team support via by boosting its speed, and the latter helps lets Vullaby survive a physical hit from Pokemon like boosted Shellder and proceed to revenge kill them in return with its boosted speed after a Weak Armor speed boost.

Checks and Counters
===================

Vullaby is difficult to check without first knowing its set, and thus scouting and team awareness are critical for dealing with it before even settling on specific Pokemon. (this sentence doesn't fit this section's formatting system, i'd either cut it altogether or try to incorporate it into the overview)

**Onix**: Onix is threatened by none takes very little damage from any of Vullaby's moves other than a boosted Dark Pulse and can KO Vullaby in return with Rock Blast or Head Smash; Weak Armor Onix variants can even outspeed Weak Armor-boosted Vullaby after taking a hit. Onix is an extremely sturdy Vullaby switch-in in the tier and often gains a free opportunity to set Stealth Rock or boost with Dragon Dance when forcing it out. The Onix user It must be wary, however, of the threat of switching into a U-turn and being trapped by Trapinch or Diglett.

**Pawniard**: Pawniard is not threatened by either any of Vullaby's STABs STAB moves and can punish it for using Defog, which boosts Pawniard's own attack via Defiant. Pawniard must beware, however, of Heat Wave in general and Nasty Plot sets especially variants in particular, the latter of which as it can set up in its face and sweep use it as setup fodder. Pawniard is It also threatened by U-turn paired with a trapper fears getting trapped after Vullaby has used U-turn.

**Spritzee**: Spritzee's tremendous bulk allows it to take any of Vullaby's moves with ease and KO it in return with Moonblast; it must, however, beware of both flinch from boosted Air Slash and becoming overwhelmed by taking too many hits, especially after its Eviolite has been knocked off, as Brave Bird can then 2HKOs it knocked Spritzee. Frailer Nasty Plot Spritzee variants of Spritzee are frailer and accordingly less reliable as checks, but in turn can use Vullaby as setup(remove hyphen) bait.

**Status users**: While many status-spreading Pokemon cannot beat Vullaby one-on-one, physically offensive Vullaby is greatly inhibited by paralysis or a burn, and as such status from Ferroseed, Ponyta, or Frillish can limit Vullaby's effectiveness.

[CREDITS]

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
KSG, please implement the amcheck above. I looked over it and while it may not be perfect, it seems to have hit a good majority of the marks. Afterwards, I can officially check it for 1/2.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
LC Leader
Estronic I have implemented the am GP and made some small updates to keep current with bans and meta usage, as discussed with QC. Should be ready.

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[OVERVIEW]

Vullaby is one of the most versatile Pokemon in LC; thanks to its rich toolset and well-rounded stats, it can provide any team with invaluable role compression, being able to function as a potent pivot, an entry hazard remover, and a wallbreaker. Its STAB coverage hits every relevant Pokemon in the tier other than Pawniard for neutral damage, making Vullaby quite difficult to switch into, especially with the added threat of item removal from Knock Off. Defog allows Vullaby to serve as one of the tier's two most reliable hazard removers, owing to its immunity to Sticky Web, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. Vullaby also brings two valuable abilities to the table in Weak Armor and Overcoat, with; (semicolon) the former allowing allows it to punish teams for hitting it by boosting its speed Speed and outrunning the entire metagame, and while the latter protecting protects it from Oddish's Sleep Powder. However, despite Vullaby's offensive versatility, its offenses are not elite, and it occasionally fails to hit important OHKOs or sufficiently dent defensive Pokemon like Spritzee or and Shellos.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird deals hefty damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, including bulky defenders like Timburr and Oddish. Knock Off allows Vullaby to provide tremendous utility for its team, softening opposing teams by removing Eviolites and Berry Juices from its foes while also being a powerful STAB move. U-turn lets Vullaby take advantage of forced switches by allowing it to generate momentum. Defog provides invaluable entry hazard removal. Heat Wave threatens Ferroseed and Pawniard and can force an opponent to make difficult decisions when switching into Vullaby.

Set Details
========

Vullaby's EV spread and nature can be altered to fill a highly versatile set of roles, depending its team's needs. A Jolly nature allows Vullaby to speed Speed tie with opposing positive-nature Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd, (RC) as well as outspeed opposing Mudbray and Mareanie. The given EV spread maximizes Vullaby's damage output and, with an Adamant nature, gives it a high chance of OHKOing 24 HP / 14 Def Timburr. Other viable spreads include 116 HP / 76 Def (25/15), which allows Vullaby to survive Timburr's Thunder Punch or Mudbray's Rock Slide after Stealth Rock damage, (RC) as well as Adamant Vullaby's Brave Bird after a Weak Armor defense Defense drop and Berry Juice recovery. If running Heat Wave, a spread of 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpA / 196 Spe with a Serious nature is optimal; the same spread can alternatively be run with a Jolly nature at the expense of being able to 2HKO Pawniard after without relying on Stealth Rock damage. Weak Armor and Berry Juice have tremendous synergy, allowing Vullaby to boost its speed Speed and proceed to outspeed the majority of the metagame while simultaneously recovering damage taken from certain physical hits like Timburr's Mach Punch. Weak Armor can occasionally present a hindrance, though, by making it easier for strong priority users like Corphish and Timburr to revenge kill Vullaby. Overcoat is an option for teams that need a switch-in to Oddish's Sleep Powder, (RC) at the expense of Weak Armor's broader utility. Berry Juice aids Vullaby by passively healing off Stealth Rock damage, thereby helping it remove entry hazards repeatedly.

Usage Tips
========

Vullaby's EV spread of choice determines the role it fills best on a team; more offensive variants function better as attackers and wallbreakers, while bulkier variants switch into attacks and remove entry hazards more reliably. The momentum generated by U-turn can be leveraged to restrict how foes switch around, especially when Vullaby is paired with a trapper; common Flying-type resists Flying-resistant Pokemon such as Pawniard and Onix are often doomed if they switch into a U-turn and and proceed to get trapped by Trapinch or Diglett. Weak Armor can let Vullaby function as speed control on teams that lack Choice Scarf users or lack speed Speed otherwise. Knock Off should be used to pressure bulkier teams, softening walls like Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee for other sweepers to later break through. Defog should be used to remove hazards, especially Sticky Web, whenever possible in order to reduce opposing offensive pressure.

Team Options
========

Vullaby's ability to run a variety of different EV spreads and natures to accomplish different goals make an extremely versatile Pokemon that can be molded to support different types of teams. Vullaby pairs well with trappers like Diglett or and Trapinch that can remove Onix and Pawniard, two Flying-type resists Flying-resistant Pokemon that Vullaby can U-turn out of. Setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Spritzee and Dragon Dance Onix appreciate Vullaby weakening bulkier Pokemon that might otherwise check them, (AC) such as like Pawniard, Onix, and Mudbray. Ponyta appreciates the removal of entry hazards that would slow it down or limit its switch-ins. Timburr works well with Vullaby, (AC) as it can switch into Pawniard and Onix and can provide hazard removal for non-Defog Vullaby variants. Ferroseed and Ponyta can serve as switch-ins to Spritzee.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Air Slash deals considerable damage to the majority of the metagame after a Nasty Plot boost and can occasionally break through Vullaby's checks with its 30% flinch chance. Heat Wave is Vullaby's best coverage move, KOing Ferroseed and heavily damaging Pawniard. Dark Pulse lets Vullaby threaten Onix and Chinchou, which it otherwise struggles against, as well as Frillish. Roost is an option over Dark Pulse, especially paired with Eviolite, to prevent weaker Pokemon like Mareanie from averting a sweep simply by wearing Vullaby down. Substitute is an another option that allows Vullaby to more easily set up on Ferroseed. Knock Off can be used to provide greater team support and soften checks like Spritzee as they switch in, facilitating a later sweep.

Set Details
========

Eviolite provides Vullaby with opportunities to set up on harder hits such as Mudbray's Rock Slide, as well as letting Vullaby and lets it better take hits from Knock Off. Alternatively, Berry Juice gives Vullaby more staying power against would-be priority revenge killers like Timburr and Corphish by allowing it to heal while taking hits and setting up. A Modest nature and maximum Special Attack investment are necessary due to Vullaby's middling power, maximum Speed investment lets Vullaby outspeed Corphish and most Mudbray variants before boosting, and the remainder of EVs are placed in Defense to help Vullaby better take physical hits.

Usage Tips
========

This set sacrifices Vullaby's role compression for late-game sweeping potential, and thus so it should not be treated as a pivot and check to certain threats in a similar vein to the physical Berry Juice set. This set functions best if it remains unrevealed for as long as possible; while it is often possible to discern Vullaby's set from team preview Team Preview, concealing Vullaby's its set will grant crucial free turns to set up while being treated like a physical set. Few Pokemon in the tier can OHKO Vullaby with a physical move, meaning that it is invaluable to keep Vullaby's its health high and force your opponent to hit it with physical moves that will trigger Weak Armor. Vullaby is can typically only afforded one chance to sweep, and unless it carries Knock Off for general team support, it should never be deployed early so long as its checks are healthy and especially if it is the only win condition wincon on its team. (for future reference, "win condition" refers to a situation that will win you the game, while "wincon" refers to a pokemon whose goal is to win the game)

Team Options
========

Vullaby appreciates Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard and Timburr to soften opposing teams; even at +2, since it cannot OHKO many bulky Pokemon, (AC) such as like Eviolite Onix and Mareanie, (AC) even when at +2. Timburr in particular is invaluable for its ability to draw Spritzee in and knock off Knock Off its Eviolite, as well as and to remove Stealth Rock. Trapinch and Diglett can trap and remove Onix, which can switch into unboosted Vullaby and OHKO it with Head Smash. Dewpider can provide Sticky Web support, (AC) which that prevents Onix and Chinchou from forcing Vullaby out before a Weak Armor boost. Ponyta and Koffing can spread status to physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, turning them into ideal setup fodder for Vullaby.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Vullaby's strongest STAB move, threatening fast and frail Pokemon and threatening bulkier Flying-weak Pokemon weak to Flying like Oddish and Timburr. Knock Off softens opposing teams by removing Berry Juices and Eviolites. U-turn lets Vullaby function as a fast pivot that can scout more freely, (RC) thanks to its Choice Scarf boosting its speed and letting it outpace nearly the entire metagame. Defog, while not ideal to get choice-locked Choice-locked into, provides critical entry hazard removal in a pinch. Heat Wave threatens Pawniard and Ferroseed with hefty damage. Tailwind is an alternative option to provide team support on more offensive team builds.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature makes Vullaby's STAB moves as powerful as possible, allowing Vullaby to revenge kill fast threats like Galarian Ponyta as well as 14 Def Timburr. Maximum speed Speed investment ensures Vullaby hits 22 Speed with Choice Scarf, letting it outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, as well as Corphish after a Dragon Dance. Vullaby can opt for a Jolly nature to tie with Choice Scarf Galarian Farfetch'd as well as positive-nature Vullaby after taking a Knock Off. Overcoat is preferred over Weak Armor because the lack of Berry Juice makes Vullaby relatively frail even without Weak Armor's defense Defense drops, and it allows Vullaby to negate Sleep Powder from Oddish. Alternatively, Weak Armor allows Vullaby to outspeed opposing Vullaby after a Knock Off and serve as a lesser form of speed control even without its Choice Scarf.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Vullaby trades durability for increased immediate offensive presence, and thus so it is less effective at taking hits compared to Berry Juice sets. In contrast, this Vullaby set provides speed Speed to otherwise slow teams, revenge kills threats like Dragon Dance Scraggy, and pressures Sticky Web-dependent offensive teams. If paired with Diglett or Trapinch, U-turn should be used during early-game to remove Flying-type resists Flying-resistant Pokemon and allow for Brave Bird to be used more freely later in the game. U-turn should also be used to scout your opponent's preferred switch-ins to Vullaby.

Team Options
========

Slower, bulkier teams appreciate Choice Scarf Vullaby's immediate speed control high Speed and revenge killing capabilities. Teams that also otherwise struggle with Sticky Web appreciate Scarf Vullaby's speed its Speed and offensive presence against Sticky Web teams. Scarf Vullaby is aided greatly by trappers like Diglett and Trapinch that can take care of Onix and Pawniard, especially off of a U-turn, and allow it use Brave Bird more freely. Teammates like Spritzee, Timburr, and Ferroseed threats can threaten Pokemon that can take advantage of Vullaby being choice-locked Choice-locked into an unfavorable move to set up, such as opposing Vullaby, Onix, and Spritzee, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Vullaby can run a bulkier set with Overcoat and Eviolite to more reliably Defog and check Pokemon like Timburr and Oddish, but it loses its utility in speed control advantages it gets from Weak Armor or Choice Scarf (assuming this is what you meant) and is forced to play much more passively due to its reduced damage output and its frequent need to Roost. Vullaby can also take an alternative approach to a Nasty Plot sweep by running Overcoat together with Iron Defense and Roost, letting tank hits from Pokemon like Pawniard, Ponyta, and opposing Vullaby rather than outspeed them. However, this set requires more team support to sweep due to having difficulty breaking through Pokemon that resist Air Slash like Onix and Chinchou. Tailwind and Endure are niche options for Berry Juice Vullaby; the former provides team support by boosting its speed Speed, and the latter lets Vullaby survive a physical hit from Pokemon like boosted Shellder and proceed to revenge kill them after a Weak Armor speed Speed boost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Onix**: Onix is takes little damage from any of Vullaby's moves other than boosted Dark Pulse and can KO Vullaby it in return with Rock Blast or Head Smash; moreover, (AC) Weak Armor Onix variants can even outspeed Weak Armor-boosted Vullaby after taking a hit. Onix is an extremely sturdy Vullaby switch-in in the tier and often gains a free opportunity to set Stealth Rock or boost set up with Dragon Dance when forcing it out. It must be wary, however, of the threat of switching into a U-turn and being trapped by Trapinch or Diglett.

**Pawniard**: Pawniard is not threatened by any of Vullaby's STAB moves and can punish it for using Defog, which boosts Pawniard's Attack via Defiant. Pawniard must beware, however, of Heat Wave in general and Nasty Plot variants in particular, as it can use it as setup (no space) fodder. Pawniard is also threatened by U-turn when Vullaby is paired with a trapper.

**Spritzee**: Spritzee's Fairy-type and tremendous bulk allows it to take any of Vullaby's moves with ease and KO it in return with Moonblast; it must, however, it must be beware of being flinched from a boosted Air Slash and becoming overwhelmed by taking too many hits, especially after its Eviolite has been knocked off removed due to Knock Off, as Brave Bird can then 2HKO it. Nasty Plot variants of Spritzee are frailer and accordingly less reliable as checks, (RC) but in turn can use Vullaby as setup bait.

**Status**: While many status-spreading Pokemon cannot beat Vullaby one-on-one, physically offensive Vullaby is greatly inhibited by paralysis or burn, and as such, (AC) status from Ferroseed, Ponyta, or Frillish can limit Vullaby's effectiveness.

[CREDITS]
1/2 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Vullaby is one of the most versatile Pokemon in LC; thanks to its rich toolset and well-rounded stats, it can provide any team with invaluable role compression, being able to function as a potent pivot, an entry hazard remover, and a wallbreaker. Its STAB coverage hits every relevant Pokemon in the tier other than Pawniard for neutral damage, making Vullaby quite difficult to switch into, especially with the added threat of item removal from Knock Off. Defog allows Vullaby to serve as one of the tier's two most reliable hazard removers, owing to its immunity to Sticky Web, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. Vullaby also brings two valuable abilities to the table in Weak Armor and Overcoat; the former allows it to punish teams for hitting it by boosting its Speed and enabling it to outrun the entire metagame, while the latter protects it from Oddish's Sleep Powder. However, despite Vullaby's offensive versatility, its offenses are not elite, and it occasionally fails to hit important OHKOs or sufficiently dent defensive Pokemon like Spritzee and Shellos.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird deals hefty damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, including bulky defenders like Timburr and Oddish. Knock Off allows Vullaby to provide tremendous utility for its team, softening opposing teams by removing Eviolites and Berry Juices from its foes while also being a powerful STAB move. U-turn lets Vullaby take advantage of forced switches by allowing it to generate momentum. Defog provides invaluable entry hazard removal. Heat Wave is an option that threatens Ferroseed and Pawniard and can force an opponent to make difficult decisions when switching into Vullaby.

Set Details
========

Vullaby's EV spread and nature can be altered to fill a highly versatile diverse set of roles, depending its team's needs. A Jolly nature allows Vullaby to Speed tie with opposing positive-natured Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd as well as outspeed opposing Mudbray and Mareanie. The given EV spread maximizes Vullaby's damage output and, with an Adamant nature, gives it a high chance of OHKOing 24 HP / 14 Def (make this actual EVs probably bc that's what ppl will assume so rn it reads confusing, or "standard" or "bulky" or w/e if applicable) Timburr. Other viable spreads investments include 116 HP / 76 Def (25/15), which allows Vullaby to survive Timburr's Thunder Punch or Mudbray's Rock Slide after Stealth Rock damage as well as Adamant Vullaby's Brave Bird after a Weak Armor Defense drop and Berry Juice recovery. If you're running Heat Wave, a spread of 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpA / 196 Spe with a Serious nature is optimal; the same spread can alternatively be run with a Jolly nature at the expense of being able to 2HKO Pawniard without relying on Stealth Rock damage. Weak Armor and Berry Juice have tremendous synergy, allowing Vullaby to boost its Speed and proceed to outspeed the majority of the metagame while simultaneously recovering damage taken from certain physical hits like Timburr's Mach Punch. Weak Armor can occasionally present a hindrance, though, by making it easier for strong priority users like Corphish and Timburr to revenge kill Vullaby. Overcoat is an option for teams that need a switch-in to Oddish's Sleep Powder at the expense of Weak Armor's broader utility. Berry Juice aids Vullaby by passively healing off Stealth Rock damage, thereby helping it remove entry hazards repeatedly.

Usage Tips
========

Vullaby's EV spread of choice determines the role it fills best on a team; more offensive variants function better as attackers and wallbreakers, while bulkier variants switch into attacks and remove entry hazards more reliably. The momentum generated by U-turn can be leveraged to restrict how foes switch around, especially when Vullaby is paired with a trapper; common Flying-resistant Pokemon such as Pawniard and Onix are often doomed if they switch into a U-turn and and proceed to get trapped by Trapinch and Diglett. Weak Armor can let help Vullaby function as speed control keep faster foes in check on teams that lack Choice Scarf users or lack Speed otherwise. Knock Off should be used to pressure bulkier teams, softening walls like Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee for other sweepers to later break through. Defog should be used to remove hazards, especially Sticky Web, whenever possible in order to reduce opposing offensive pressure.

Team Options
========

Vullaby's ability to run a variety of different EV spreads and natures to accomplish different goals make an extremely versatile Pokemon that can be molded to support different types of teams. Vullaby pairs well with trappers like Diglett or and Trapinch that can remove Onix and Pawniard, two Flying-resistant Pokemon that Vullaby can U-turn out of. Setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Spritzee and Dragon Dance Onix appreciate Vullaby weakening bulkier Pokemon that might otherwise check them, such as Pawniard, Onix, and Mudbray. Ponyta appreciates the removal of entry hazards that would slow it down or limit its switch-ins ability to switch in. Timburr works well with Vullaby, as it can switch into Pawniard and Onix and can provide hazard removal for non-Defog Vullaby variants. Ferroseed and Ponyta can serve as switch-ins to Spritzee.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Air Slash deals considerable damage to the majority of the metagame after a Nasty Plot boost and can occasionally break through Vullaby's checks with its 30% flinch chance. Heat Wave is Vullaby's best coverage move, KOing Ferroseed and heavily damaging Pawniard. Dark Pulse lets (<- remove bold) Vullaby threaten Onix and Chinchou, which it otherwise struggles against, as well as Frillish. Roost is an option over Dark Pulse, especially paired with Eviolite, to prevent weaker Pokemon like Mareanie from averting a sweep simply by wearing Vullaby down. Substitute is an another option that allows Vullaby to more easily set up on Ferroseed. Knock Off can be used to provide greater team support and soften checks like Spritzee as they switch in, facilitating a later sweep.

Set Details
========

Eviolite provides Vullaby with opportunities to set up on harder hits such as Mudbray's Rock Slide and lets it better take hits from Knock Off. Alternatively, Berry Juice gives Vullaby more staying power against would-be priority revenge killers like Timburr and Corphish by allowing it to heal while taking hits and setting up. A Modest nature and maximum Special Attack investment are necessary due to Vullaby's middling power, maximum Speed investment lets Vullaby outspeed Corphish and most Mudbray variants before boosting, and the remainder of EVs are placed in Defense to help Vullaby better take physical hits.

Usage Tips
========

This set sacrifices Vullaby's role compression for late-game sweeping potential, so it should not be treated as a pivot and check to certain threats in a similar vein to the physical Berry Juice set. (no cross-set referencing + p much extraneous afaict? if not reword it in a more general way without referring to a specific set) This set functions best if it remains unrevealed for as long as possible; while it is often possible to discern Vullaby's set from Team Preview, concealing its set will grant crucial free turns to set up while being treated like a physical set. Few Pokemon in the tier can OHKO Vullaby with a physical move, meaning that it is invaluable to keep its health high and force your opponent to hit it with physical moves that will trigger Weak Armor. Vullaby is typically only afforded one chance to sweep, and unless it carries Knock Off for general team support, it should never be deployed early so long as its checks are healthy and especially if it is the only wincon on its team.

Team Options
========

Vullaby appreciates Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard and Timburr to soften opposing teams, since it cannot OHKO many bulky Pokemon, such as Eviolite Onix and Mareanie, even when at +2. Timburr in particular is invaluable for its ability to draw Spritzee in and Knock Off remove its its Eviolite with Knock Off and remove clear Stealth Rock. Trapinch and Diglett can trap and remove Onix, which can switch into unboosted Vullaby and OHKO it with Head Smash. Dewpider can provide Sticky Web support, which prevents Onix and Chinchou from forcing Vullaby out before a Weak Armor boost. Ponyta and Koffing can spread status to physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, turning them into ideal setup fodder for Vullaby.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Vullaby's strongest STAB move, threatening fast and frail Pokemon and threatening bulkier Pokemon weak to Flying like Oddish and Timburr. Knock Off softens opposing teams by removing Berry Juices and Eviolites. U-turn lets Vullaby function as a fast pivot that can scout more freely thanks to its Choice Scarf letting it outpace nearly the entire metagame. Defog, while not ideal to get Choice-locked into, provides critical entry hazard removal in a pinch. Heat Wave threatens Pawniard and Ferroseed with hefty damage. Tailwind is an alternative option to provide team support on more offensive team builds.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature make Vullaby's STAB moves as powerful as possible, allowing Vullaby to revenge kill fast threats like Galarian Ponyta as well as 14 Def (see prior note) Timburr. Maximum Speed investment ensures Vullaby hits 22 Speed with Choice Scarf, letting it outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, as well as Corphish after a Dragon Dance. Vullaby can opt for a Jolly nature to tie with Choice Scarf Galarian Farfetch'd as well as positive-nature Vullaby after taking a Knock Off. Overcoat is preferred over Weak Armor because the lack of Berry Juice makes Vullaby relatively frail even without Weak Armor's Defense drops, and it allows Vullaby to negate Sleep Powder from Oddish. Alternatively, Weak Armor allows Vullaby to outspeed opposing Vullaby after a Knock Off and serve as a lesser form of speed control revenge killer (or w/e that doesn't say speed control) even without its Choice Scarf.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Vullaby trades durability for increased immediate offensive presence, so it is less effective at taking hits compared to Berry Juice sets. In contrast, this Vullaby set provides Speed to otherwise slow teams, revenge kills threats like Dragon Dance Scraggy, and pressures Sticky Web-dependent offensive teams. If paired with Diglett or Trapinch, U-turn should be used early-game to remove Flying-resistant Pokemon and allow for Brave Bird to be used more freely later in the game. U-turn should also be used to scout your opponent's preferred switch-ins to Vullaby.

Team Options
========

Slower, bulkier teams appreciate Choice Scarf Vullaby's immediate high Speed and revenge killing capabilities. Teams that otherwise struggle with Sticky Web appreciate its Speed and offensive presence against Sticky Web teams. Vullaby is aided greatly by trappers like Diglett and Trapinch that can take care of Onix and Pawniard, especially off of a U-turn, and allow it use Brave Bird more freely. Teammates like Spritzee, Timburr, and Ferroseed can threaten Pokemon that can take advantage of Vullaby being Choice-locked into an unfavorable move to set up, such as opposing Vullaby, Onix, and Spritzee, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Vullaby can run a bulkier set with Overcoat and Eviolite to more reliably Defog and check Pokemon like Timburr, Oddish, and Bulbasaur, but it loses the advantages it gets from Weak Armor or Choice Scarf and is forced to play much more passively due to its reduced damage output and its frequent need to Roost. Vullaby can also take an alternative approach to a Nasty Plot sweep by running Overcoat together with Iron Defense and Roost, letting tank hits from Pokemon like Pawniard, Ponyta, and opposing Vullaby rather than outspeed them. However, this set requires more team support to sweep due to having difficulty breaking through Pokemon that resist Air Slash like Onix and Chinchou. Tailwind and Endure are niche options for Berry Juice Vullaby; the former provides team support by boosting its Speed, and the latter lets Vullaby survive a physical hit from Pokemon like boosted Shellder and proceed to revenge kill them after a Weak Armor Speed boost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Onix**: Onix is takes little damage from any of Vullaby's moves other than boosted Dark Pulse and can KO it in return with Rock Blast or Head Smash; moreover, Weak Armor Onix variants can even outspeed Weak Armor-boosted Vullaby after taking a hit. Onix is an extremely sturdy Vullaby switch-in and often gains a free opportunity to set Stealth Rock or setup with Dragon Dance when forcing it out. It must be wary, however, of the threat of switching into a U-turn and being trapped by Trapinch or Diglett.

**Pawniard**: Pawniard is not threatened by any of Vullaby's STAB moves and can punish it for using Defog, which boosts Pawniard's Attack via through a Defiant boost. Pawniard must beware, however, of Heat Wave in general and Nasty Plot variants in particular, as it they can use it as setup fodder. Pawniard is also threatened by U-turn when Vullaby is paired with a trapper.

**Spritzee**: Spritzee's Fairy-type and tremendous bulk allows it to take any of Vullaby's moves with ease and KO it in return with Moonblast; however, it must be wary of being flinched by flinches from a boosted Air Slash and becoming overwhelmed by taking too many hits, especially after its Eviolite has been removed due to Knock Off, as Brave Bird can then 2HKO it. Nasty Plot variants of Spritzee are frailer and accordingly less reliable as checks but can use Vullaby as setup bait.

**Status**: While many status-spreading Pokemon cannot beat Vullaby one-on-one, physically offensive Vullaby is greatly inhibited by paralysis or burn, and as such, status from Ferroseed, Ponyta, or Frillish can limit Vullaby's effectiveness.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronic, 240732], [, ]]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)