Walrus WALRUS - Yeti's Anti-Pandering - Won by Oddish.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
17th aka last

Steven Snype
Daft Punk - Giorgio By Moroder

...? Why does this start with this dude just talking? ...omg it's 9 minutes long KILL ME. This sounds like it should be on a Travel Channel show filming in Italy and the host is in a small town interviewing some bushy-eyebrowed old Italian guy about how they keep communal goats in the village for fresh cheese for their all-authentic pasta the matriachs make from scratch every day. He finally shuts up but by that point I'm already so far gone from this song and the synth is okay. It's buried after like 3 minutes of Papa Tony talking and the payoff isn't good and is that like elevator music starting up? Hot mess of a song. I clicked into like 5 minutes the second time I opened it to get past the bs and it was better than a .1 but the fact I have to skip 5 minutes to get a decent beat is a huge flop.

Yeti

dark saturday
16th

LightWolf
Tensei - Ascend
I mentioned I don't like instrumentals a ton right? This song feels like it was made for teenagers who have Nightmare Before Christmas everything and claim "I work alone" like they're Batman or Raven on partnered school projects, like you know what I'm saying? 20-somethings and beyond won't really jive with this turkey. LightWolf had a different song here that was much shorter than this one and it would've scored not-substantially higher, but a bit better, because at least it isn't 6 minutes of some chiptuney noise. At least it's faster and the drums are surprisingly good?

Yeti

dark saturday
15th

Walrein
2.2 (originally 1 but I relistened)
Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands
The drums kind of ruin the instrumental opening, which has some good synth otherwise. Oh ugh then the dude starts singing. Didn't these guys do Mr Roboto too how do you get from that to this? Sorry Walrein but the synth cannot carry this. I just want it to END ALREADY. Confession I closed this song with a minute to go the first time I listened, knowing I'd do a second listen to confirm my scores and I could finish it then. This wasn't as terrible as I felt it was last night when I gave it a 1 but it still super missed the mark for me, sorry.

Yeti

dark saturday
14th

atomicllamas
Electric Guest - Under The Gun
Hm the way he sings reminds me of something but I can't place it. The background track is okay. I feel like that's a piano most prominently? Or a synth trying to sound like a piano. But I'm bad @ instruments beyond the obvious synth warbles. It kinda reminds me of Electric Feel or one of the few Metric songs I skip. Overall I think it's a bit too slow and the vocals aren't really my thing. I think this was one of the few songs that adjusted down when I relistened, sorry :(

Yeti

dark saturday
13th

Blazade
Haken - 1985
This is kind of more guitary but the synth reminds me of music my mom played in my childhood so I kind of like it. I wish it had some ly- oh there they are. And now I'm not sure it's actually improved by the lyrics... FWIW you got a better score with this than what you originally sent. Overall I'm not thrilled by it but it wasn't as dire as the bottom couple songs. ...omg then it kept going and I was like "how much longer" ANOTHER NINE MINUTE SONG. HOW DO U PPL FIND THEM.

Yeti

dark saturday
12th

myzozoa
Mr. Little Jeans - The Suburbs
My initial thought is this is kinda dubsteppy and I don't really care for the WUBWUBWUB. Then her vocals are kinda slow. It just kinda drags. There are several songs in this where halfway through I check the timer on YT and go "omg there's so much left" and this is one of them. Her vocals are okay but it's a little too slowdubby for me. The outro beat is the best part of the song and it was p good. This gained some points on my relisten, it's nothing special to me but I think I like it more than those directly below it in the ranking.

Yeti

dark saturday
11th

Lord Gaius
Arcade Fire - Sprawl II
I'm a lil dubious of these vocals. This sounds like that MGMT - Electric w/e song, which has a good instrumental sure so it's okay here but feels kind of derivative. It gets better and the synth is good but that's the best thing I can say about it, y'know? Nothing is great. I've flip flopped on this a lot, there's like a full 2 point spread I could see myself placing this song in. Some moments I really like it others I'm like eh.

Yeti

dark saturday
10th

UncleSam
Tears for Fears - Shout
Shout is another of those classics that my Pandora plays but I've literally never searched on YouTube to listen to on my own. It's most similar to a weaker Depeche Mode song. It's hard for me to place this within all the other middling songs around it because I'm like this is probably a better song but do I want to listen to it as much...?

Yeti

dark saturday
9th

vonFiedler
5.55 (aka it belongs above 10th below 8th but 8 is a firm 5.6 to me)
Erasure - The Circus
I love a lot of Erasure songs but I've never heard The Circus. That accordian lmao. Normally I love their vocals but this suffers from a problem several other songs do in this cat where I just Don't Like how they're being sung. I do appreciate you sending me a song by a band I like I haven't heard. Unfortunately it feels off for me, compared to something a bit more, melodic?, like Stop or Chorus. I did bump this up above the 4 range upon listening to it a second time.

Yeti

dark saturday
7th

Da Letter El
Passion Pit - The Reeling
So I really like Carried Away and I just... feel like this song lacks the bouncy fun of that. Whatever the vocal effect is I don't think it works super well here. This is a song where I feel like I should like it more than I do and I feel bad clocking DLE in this low because he did discuss with me and I don't think this was a BAD submission for me and I do appreciate it, it just doesn't resound with me. Like once it ends I'd want to listen to Carried Away, not replay it, y'know? I think this is another that gains a bit upon a second listen-through.

Yeti

dark saturday
6th

Granny Pie
Jean Jacques Perrey - Mary France
Why does the opening of this sound familiar like actually I've heard this song before where oh a My Little Pony video I'm p sure LightWolf linked lmao. Fun fact this song is from 1968 which makes it from the first decade of songs with a synth. Vintage synth. Sometimes you can't mess with a classic. That said I really like the synth use but the lack of lyrics makes me think it'll be a once-in-a-blue-moon listen for me. I definitely like it.

Yeti

dark saturday
5th

RODAN
Phantogram - Fall in Love
This feels like a Phantogram x Crystal Castles song which means I SHOULD love it but for some reason it just doesn't click for me? I really don't know why and I feel like Rodan is being robbed here but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I think I should. I like it more listening to it again, though I have a hard time definitively placing this within the 7-8 range.

Yeti

dark saturday
3rd

shubaka17
I Fight Dragons – Jimmy & Sally
Listen to that synth warble at the start omg. The dude's voice is kinda meh. I don't really like how they arranged the vocals but the beat is really good. Like if you had vocals sung a different way it'd be in the 9's off the instrumental. Also at about 2:30 I was like is this ending soon and realized it had 4 minutes left... I think it suffers from the length. A song has to be really good for me to want 5+ minutes of it or just forget. BUT THAT SYNTH. And then you get to 4:20 (lel) and it's just the dude and a guitar and that's a Let Down. tl;dr love the instrumental need new vocals - vocally it sounds like a weaker Relient K but better synth than them.

Yeti

dark saturday
2nd

Oddish.
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)
This is a hard song for me to place because I've been jamming to it for years but there are other Dead or Alive songs I like notably more and this is probably their most obvious song to send so in a way I am disappointed I received this one but I also like this song lmao. I've had it on my iPod for longer than Walrein has been alive. I can see cause to cap it at 8 since it's an Old Jam but I can't penalize for a Dead or Alive song I've heard as I didn't list them. I'll prob cop a little flame for having this almost win.

Yeti

dark saturday
1st

KnightsofCydonia
CHVRCHES - Bury It
So fun fact DLE had showed me this song but couldn't submit it as a test of how I felt about it. Man this is another where the synth deserves a Grammy but the vocals and how they constructed them are not like, the best to me. I think I'm gonna boost it up a little higher than the average I initially gave it, it grew on me; my thoughts on this when DLE linked it:
champyeti - Last Tuesday at 3:10 AM
the beat is rly good its a shame the vocals are just her shouting BARRYETTE
10 beat
maybe a 6 vocals
So I feel like DLE kind of got robbed cause the beat is the main one from this cat that stuck in my head overnight and I hemmed and hawed about putting this above 2nd place or not before deciding to. If the 'bury it' part was gone this would get above a 9 alas.

Yeti

dark saturday
Pop Trash Movie, Cat 2, will reveal 5PM PST 7/6, same Discord.

Thanks guys for Cat 1, I know it scored a bit low overall and maybe I was too harsh but I do appreciate everyone's songs! There were only a couple I had heard before so I like all the new jams/bands.

Yeti

dark saturday
17th

StevenSnype
Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
I hadn't heard this song before this sub and I kind of think there may be a reason for that. Bruno Mars is found nowhere on my array of musical libraries. This song lyrically and sort of beat-wise is just a way weaker version of Glamorous. That this song makes me want to go listen to Fergie way more than I want to finish it, is not a good thing. RIP Snype I appreciate you but these songs are not my thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)