Wave Goodbye (peaked #1)

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Hi Smogon! It's scorpdestroyer with my second RMT (if you count the one I made in my noobier days), and my first braggy one. It's been over a year since I last joined Smogon, and I've really grown a lot as a competitive battler. I've wandered about the tiers and lurked a fair bit before I joined, and took me a few months to finally settle down in NU. I never imagined myself getting this far, but here I am with 1k posts and a team I'm proud of. I've always dreamed back then of peaking #1 on the ladder. I'm proud to say that I've achieved it :) I'll be presenting to you one of my best teams, peaking #1 on the ladder, going on a streak of 34-1 with the solitary loss being a match when I nearly won, only to have my laptop crash :(. I peaked at 2167 ACRE before losing matches, but I picked myself up again, and after the guy above me decayed a little, I managed to get up there. Unfortunately, I have no screenshot of my 2167, but I do of my #1, which is the only thing people care about anyway. Sadly, I decided to be a smartass and decided to do one more game, before (of course) losing it to a crit, so I'm no longer number 1, but I have screenshots.

and don't listen to soulgazer or lasagne21 when they tell you ladder peaks aren't impressive, they don't know anything :)

Anyways, more on the team. This team was created shortly after I was knocked out of tennisace's mystery magical tour. I got intrigued by the Battle of the Week between Sweet Jesus and Cherub Agent, where Sweet Jesus used a really cool Simipour set which was featured in the Next Best Thing (and was largely ignored until that point). Afterwards, Othesemo made an RMT featuring the exact same Simipour set, and described it to be awesome. So, I got really interested and decided I would build a team around it, and I didn't expect much out of it, to be honest. However, it has grown to become the best team I have ever built. Recently, it has lost its effectiveness somewhat, perhaps because Simipour's luring powers are becoming more and more well-known. However, I'll say that it is still my most consistent team. Apart from the ladder peak, I also used this team in all my matches the Pokemon Showdown Premier League (it's not as impressive as other stuff but it's a tournament nonetheless), finishing with a 3-0 win-loss record. It has also beaten several good NU players, including Treecko, shnen, Soulgazer, Lasagne21, and Aladyyn.

Basically, the team's goal is to weaken opponents with a combination of Toxic Spikes and using Simipour to weaken counters for Kangaskhan and Ludicolo to sweep. Of course, it occasionally deviates from that eg. Mandibuzz is my wrecking ball vs stall teams

Teambuilding process

Simipour was the Pokemon I chose to build around, so obviously Simipour was in the team. I had to choose a Pokemon that could take advantage of Simipour's luring (more details can be found later on). Hence, the next Pokemon I chose was Ludicolo.

These two can't function properly without Stealth Rock support, so I turned to what was in my opinion the best Stealth Rock setter in the tier, Golem.

At this point, I wasn't exactly sure what to do next. Then, I saw that Ludicolo absolutely loves Spikes support. Hence, offensive Scolipede was added in to give the team the Spikes it loves, while threatening out Ludicolo and Jynx. At this point, I also chucked Pursuit into the set to remove Gardevoir, Jynx, and Kadabra, which could trouble Ludicolo.

I saw that Kangaskhan was a nice offensive Pokemon that loved Spikes support, while at the same time take down special walls and clean up late-game. It was also a much-needed check to Choice Specs Charizard, which demolishes pretty much every team that doesn't have Lunatone or Grumpig.

Finally, Mandibuzz was added as a glue to the team. Mandibuzz was added mainly because I wanted to try it out, which I haven't done at all. Mandibuzz could also check stall teams, and give me a check to a whole list of other Pokemon that I would have trouble checking otherwise.

This team is called Wave Goodbye. Wave because of my two Water-types and also because of Simipour's sprite. Goodbye means goodbye to Gen 5 NU, the best tier in gen 5. YA I KNOW I SUCK WITH TEAM NAMES. No reference to any song was intended, but if there was an accidental one being made, cool :)

The Team

Note: I run speed creep on everything when I can, so the EV spreads are somewhat lies

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch

Golem is, in my opinion, the best Stealth Rock setter in the tier. Sturdy means that Stealth Rock is almost always guaranteed to be up. I hardly ever lead with this unless the opponent happens to be extremely with to Stealth Rock, AND doesn't have Sawk. Stealth Rock is extremely important for the team, because it allows all my Pokemon to punish constant switching and get certain KOs. It's especially important to wear down Charizard, Mandibuzz, and Golbat, which could threaten my team otherwise. Earthquake is the standard STAB move, as is Rock Blast. Sucker Punch is a standard priority move that lets Golem 2HKO Golurk, beat Gardevoir and Jynx, beat Custap Golem, and get off chip damage when I'm ready to sacrifice it. Golem's role in this team is especially important because it's the only Normal- and Electric-type resistance. This means that Golem is very helpful in pivoting into Mandibuzz, which sometimes finds trouble tanking 2 hits in a row after Stealth Rock damage. This means that when facing up a Tauros and Kangaskhan, I can switch Golem into the Normal-type move, and following that go into Mandibuzz when they Earthquake. Golem's Fire-type resistance also makes it the safest switch into Charizard before I determine whether it is Choiced. If it isn't, then I can pivot to Scolipede if I anticipate the HP Grass. Finally, the Electric immunity is really valuable on a team that relies on two Water-types and a Flying-type. It keeps VoltTurn teams from freely spamming Volt Switch, which is extremely annoying to face. Another extremely important factor is Golem's ability to switch into Thunder Wave, which nothing on my team likes. Finally, Golem allows me to beat grounded Poison-types, so that Scolipede can freely set up Toxic Spikes which are really helpful in wearing down offensive and defensive opponents alike. It's an incredibly standard, but incredibly effective set. The EVs are standard, allowing Golem to outspeed Smashkoal and hit it before it uses Rapid Spin.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail

This was originally an offensive Scolipede with Pursuit, which helped a great deal in taking down Psychic-types and Roselia if Simipour failed. However, I began to realize that Scolipede was used as my only Fighting-type resistance, and with Life Orb, Stealth Rock damage, and taking approximately 35% from Sawk's Close Combat each time, I knew I needed a more reliable Fighting-type resistance. I never liked Garbodor because it was always setup fodder when I used it, so Bulky Scolipede was the next best choice. It was amazing. I did not realize this at first, but Toxic Spikes is such an asset to the team. It allows me to punish teams that lose their grounded Poison-type by adding residual damage every turn, and lightens the burden on Mandibuzz to spread status. Offensive teams absolutely hate a single layer of Toxic Spikes because they stay in for less time, yet it cuts into their longevity especially if they carry Life Orb or a recoil move. It's extremely valuable particularly to check Serperior and Kangaskhan, as the residual damage prevents them from doing their thing effectively. The awesome thing is that my team is really well equipped to deal with grounded Poison-types so that Scolipede can set up Toxic Spikes freely: Roselia is usually killed by Simipour, Mandibuzz handles Scolipede, and Golem handles pretty much everything else. Spikes is great to punish switch-ins, and I usually spam this against stall teams before I go into Mandibuzz, because Mandibuzz just forces switches sooooo easily against stall. Spikes helps a lot for Ludicolo and Kangaskhan to sweep, and makes my opponent think twice before switching. Megahorn is STAB, but is really helpful in defeating Exeggutor, Jynx, and Gardevoir (and to an extent Musharna). Aqua Tail grants the best two move coverage with Megahorn, hitting majority of the tier for neutral, especially hitting the threatening Charizard for super effective. Another of Scolipede's role is to absorb Toxic Spikes, which are a major threat to my team. The EVs may look weird but they're actually standard for BulkyPede. The Speed EVs allow Scolipede to outspeed base 101 Speed Pokemon and below. This means it can outspeed and KO Simisear, Simisage, Charizard, Jynx, Raichu, etc. or set up an extra layer of entry hazards. The Attack EVs allow Scolipede to 2HKO Musharna and Golurk with Megahorn and Aqua Tail respectively. The rest of the EVs go into HP and Defense. Poison Point looks strange, but it's really cool when I poison a Sawk or Primeape or something like that, and that really helps in wearing them down in case I can't get up Toxic Spikes at that point. Meanwhile Swarm doesn't really come into use very often because of fewer Attack EVs.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Trait: Big Pecks
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Def / 4 SDef / 208 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Mandibuzz has swag. It's probably my favourite Pokemon to use in NU right now. I usually lead with Mandibuzz unless the opponent's lead seems really weak to Golem / Ludicolo / Simipour, or unless I realize that I need Stealth Rock up ASAP. This is because Mandibuzz beats so many leads all by herself, such as Golem, Cradily, Misdreavus, etc. It can also live any one hit from CB Sawk, so I usually Roost turn 1 when up against Sawk and scout for its set (based on damage) and its move, before going into the right Pokemon. Even though this team was centered around Ludicolo and Kangaskhan, I find that Mandibuzz is the MVP of the team. Firstly, Mandibuzz is a major dick to stall teams. I've had Mandibuzz 6-0 stall teams all by herself (with a little help from her teammates). The reason for this is the extremely potent combo of Taunt + Toxic. Taunt prevents walls from using Toxic back, prevents walls from recovering or using Heal Bell, prevents them from setting Spikes all over her, and occasionally prevents setup as well. Afterwards, Toxic is a death sentence, slowly wearing down opponents as they are unable to heal or recover from status. Thanks to Mandibuzz's amazing bulk and Speed, almost no wall can stop Mandibuzz, apart from Lickilicky's Dragon Tail (which is rarer now!) and Misdreavus, Mandibuzz, and Golbat if they run insane Speed creep. However, it is essential that Mandibuzz doesn't switch into Toxic, so make sure of that. Mandibuzz also lets me check a plethora of Pokemon, including Scolipede, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Musharna, physical Samurott Kadabra, and Gardevoir. Roost allows Mandibuzz to stay healthy, and it is extremely helpful because I use Mandibuzz to check a whole bunch of threats. Roost, along with good Speed, allows Mandibuzz to neutralize several weaknesses, which is really helpful in stalling out opponents such as Piloswine and Golem after they've been poisoned. Brave Bird is my standard attacking move replacing Foul Play; while I leave myself much more vulnerable to Arbok and Normal-types, it does allow me to OHKO Scolipede after rocks, 2HKO Scraggy and Serperior, and 3HKO Throh (and Gurdurr, although the latter is harder to take down due to Drain Punch). It does leave me vulnerable to a different number of threats without Foul Play though, most notably Tauros but with Toxic Spikes support, Kangaskhan's priority, and Golem being able to take an Earthquake, it is usually dealt with. The EVs look weird, but credit goes to Soulgazer for it (he said FLCL gave it to him so credits as well). The Speed EVs allow me to outrun Modest max Speed Seismitoad, which is a pretty big deal as I no longer have to risk getting hit by Sludge Bomb on Ludicolo. I can now Taunt+Toxic this thing to get rid of it. The Defense EVs reach a jump point, while the HP EVs give an odd HP number to allow me to switch into Stealth Rock more. Despite a loss in bulk, I'm glad to say that it isn't really notable. The physically defensive EV spread allows me to check Kangaskhan, Tauros, and Swords Dance Samurott, but if you can convince me to switch to specially defensive, I wouldn't mind either.

Simipour @ Flying Gem
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 156 Atk / 100 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Acrobatics
- Hydro Pump

This monkey is what makes the team tick. Credit goes to Sweet Jesus for inventing it, but I made a few tweaks to the original set. Fully physical with Waterfall was working pretty well for me, but soon I got a little frustrated at not being able to defeat Piloswine and Torkoal, nor was I able to OHKO things that I should, like Golurk. During that time, the Simipour set of Waterfall/Sub/Endeavor/Acro was getting more attention, and the surprise value which made this set tick was missing in many of my games. Hence, I made a few tweaks to the set.

For the benefit of whoever doesn't know how this works yet: Simipour lures in almost all of Ludicolo's counters, with the exceptions of Kangaskhan and Gardevoir, and deals with them. Substitute + Endeavor is an extremely potent combination, and I end up using it in almost every match that Simipour features in. Not only is this a way to take down bulky opponents - especially those that boost their defenses - for free, it defeats Lickilicky, Mantine, and Mandibuzz, all of which can stop Ludicolo. It's also a very powerful weapon against stall teams. After Mandibuzz has spread status or Toxic Spikes set up, Endeavor becomes a nice win condition to take down opponents to low health and be finished off by poison, or another teammate's attack. Endeavor also helps me 2HKO a lot of things that Hydro Pump or Acrobatics are unable to: if I'm behind a Substitute and on low health, I can easily use Endeavor to bring opponents into KO range of my other moves. Another nice thing is that apart from Ghost-types, which mostly prefer to stay away from standard Simipour sets, there is nothing that is immune to Endeavor, so it's a free crippled mon, and is difficult to avoid even if you know the set. Substitute helps being Simipour's health down lower so Endeavor does work. Substitute also allows Simipour to set up on Jynx that try and use Lovely Kiss; ditto for other slower status spreaders that mispredict. Acrobatics is Simipour's other ace up its sleeve. With Acrobatics, Roselia, Jynx, and Ludicolo are lured in, thinking they can switch into Hydro Pump, and cleanly OHKOed. This clears the path later on for my Ludicolo to sweep. Occasionally, it's also hilarious to see opponents that assume that Simipour is a physical attacker upon seeing Acrobatics, and send in their physical wall such as Alomomola, only to get Endeavored and allowing Kangaskhan to sweep. Finally, Hydro Pump is there for several purposes. Despite missing out on the haxy flinches of Waterfall, Hydro Pump allows me to bluff a special attacking set, leaving my opponent comfortable in sending in Jynx / Roselia / Ludicolo. Unlike Waterfall or Surf, Hydro Pump allows me to defeat Piloswine, Torkoal, and Golurk. While this is not huge, it's better than having these threats stay in on you and laugh while your Waterfall doesn't KO them. The EV spread looks strange, but of course they serve a purpose. Maximum Speed because Simipour sits in an important Speed tier, allowing me to check Charizard and Jynx. 156 Attack EVs guarantee a OHKO on Specially Defensive Ludicolo, Roselia, and Jynx 100% even without entry hazards with a Flying Gem Acrobatics. The rest of the EVs are thrown into Special Attack, which is just enough to OHKO Golurk or Torkoal or something like that, I don't remember. Hasty is -Def + Spd because I would rather be tanking Jynx's Ice Beam better than Sawk's Ice Punch, and I avoid the 2HKO from both with Hasty anyway.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

You're now looking at one of the most dangerous sweepers to ever grace the NU tier; despite its jolly face, it's a notoriously dangerous sweeper. Ludicolo is one of my two designated late-game sweepers, designed to benefit from all its counters being removed. Under the rain, Ludicolo becomes a monster. If you haven't used it yet, you should! If you didn't know how it works, it's simple: click Rain Dance and sweep. Surf is chosen because I really hate missing at a crucial moment with Hydro Pump. Although other people say that Ludicolo can afford to miss because of its bulk and Giga Drain, I find myself spamming Surf 70% of the time, and in reality I usually use its bulk to set up rain, and usually can't afford to take another hard hit. Most things that can take a Surf should've been weakened anyway, so I don't really miss the power much. Giga Drain provides coverage on Water-types, with a bonus of allowing Ludicolo to heal health and possibly give it an extra turn to continue sweeping. Finally, Ice Beam covers Dragon- and Grass-types. Most of the time though, Surf and Giga Drain are being spammed so much that you'll hardly notice Ice Beam being used, but it's there just in case. Modest is needed to make up for a slight loss in power from using Surf. Timid is an option to outspeed Scarf Electabuzz though, should I run that?

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Kangaskhan is probably the best revenge killer in the tier. It helps the team check a whole lot of threats, including Charizard, rain teams, Jynx, and Gardevoir. It also doubles up as a cleaner, because the nice thing about Simipour is that I can remove whatever I want with Endeavor, so if I notice that the opponents are weaker to Kangaskhan than Ludicolo, I won't hesitate to clear the path for Kangaskhan instead by using Endeavor on the correct Pokemon. Fake Out is essentially a free hit except against Inner Focus Golbat or something. It allows Kangaskhan to stop fast and frail threats and follow up with a Sucker Punch. Fake Out + Sucker Punch is a well-known combo already, everybody knows exactly what it does: beat fast opponents. Double-Edge is the move used most on Kanga, and it's actually pretty powerful. Earthquake provides coverage on Steel- and Rock-types. Earthquake is also a really useful move against Skuntank and Garbodor, so I can avoid triggering Aftermath. Jolly nature is used because Kangaskhan sits above the 80-something Speed tier, which is also really important because I get to outspeed a whole bucketload of threats, including CB Braviary, all variants of CB Sawk, Gardevoir (to avoid Destiny Bond), Arbok, and speed tie with Zangoose, Kangaskhan, and (lol) Pikachu. Adamant is of course a very valid alternative, and the extra power comes in real handy if you're trying to 2HKO a weakened Musharna or something.

Threatlist:

I used to have a more detailed one that lists every viable Pokemon in the tier, but I did up to Low A-rank and got lazy. So here are the biggest threats to my team, and if you can fix them, I don't mind replacing anything on my team if I feel it works better: Very threatening Mildly threatening

Serperior: Probably the biggest threat to my team. Taunt + Calm Mind variants are slightly more manageable, but Substitute + Calm Mind variants easily plough through my team if it can successfully get up a Sub and/or a boost vs my Golem, as I have a tough time switching around because I risk giving the opponent a free Sub. It's one of the few bulky sweepers that can get past Mandibuzz thanks to HP Rock.

Gurdurr, Throh, and Scraggy: When using Foul Play, bulky Fighting-types are a huge pain. Gurdurr can defeat a large number of the team because it sets up on three team members, and has priority. Fortunately, Gurdurr can be worn down by Toxic or regular poison, and it is hit very hard by Ludicolo, however this involves my playing extremely carefully to get Ludicolo in safely. Throh isn't easy either especially because Circle Throw just owns any of my attempts to switch in, and Ludicolo can't hit it as hard as Gurdurr, but unlike Gurdurr, I can use Simipour's SubEndeavor to defeat it if it is still alive. If not, I'll be forced to sac one or two Pokemon to get rid of this thing. Sub + Bulk Up destroys this team but fortunately nobody uses it, and Toxic Spikes wear it down a lot. Scraggy is slightly easier to take down, but similarly hard to switch into. Simipour destroys Dragon Dance variants after some prior damage even at +1 Speed, but Bulk Up variants, predictably, are hard to take down. SubEndeavor can do the job though.

This problem can be alleviated with Brave Bird over Foul Play, although Gurdurr still troubles you a tiny little bit.

Status - Opponents that try to spread status are extremely annoying, because literally none of my team members appreciate status (Golem doesn't mind paralysis but everyone else does). Usually my status fodder for anything other than sleep is Mandibuzz, but if I need it to check something important like Shiftry, I turn to the next most useless member which is usually Golem. However it's perfectly fine allowing Mandibuzz to absorb a burn or regular poison if it is forced into a 1v1 against Musharna later on, so it can Toxic it without fear of Synchronize. As for sleep fodder, I fodder off the Pokemon I need the least and subsequently go into the teammate that checks the imminent threat -- Kangaskhan for Jynx and Mandibuzz for Tangela, just to name some.

Carracosta: Do not let this thing set up, because I'll then be forced into a Sucker Punch / Earthquake mindgame with Kangaskhan, and if I lose, I get swept. Toxic Spikes are of great assistance in wearing it down. Fortunately, not many things on my team allow it to set up, and I haven't really encountered it
SubKiss Jynx: Rare, but threatening, because I'm forced to revenge kill both the sub and the Pokemon, and Jynx forces lots of switches. I have two forms of priority plus a Pokemon that all can outspeed Jynx though, so that's pretty good, but it does mean I need to sac something. Other variants of Jynx aren't too worrisome especially when they all get lured in by Simipour.
Life Orb Tauros: Threatening only if Mandibuzz is severely weakened. Another problem is if it predicts my pivoting from Golem -> Mandibuzz or something -> Golem, it gets up a free Substitute. And if you've been reading my threatlist, you'll know how much I hate opponents with Substitute. The best way, like I said, is pivot your way to Mandibuzz. Otherwise, use Kangaskhan to revenge kill. Golem can take an Earthquake in desperate situations and hit back. Toxic Spikes are extremely helpful to discourage the use of Substitute.
Choice Specs Charizard: What team isn't weak to this thing??? The best way is to set up Stealth Rock ASAP, and revenge kill with Kangaskhan or Simipour (or Golem, if the Zard is weak enough) later on.

I can't think of anymore :>

Replays:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oriserver-gen5nu-55935 - me vs Treecko, probably the best match I've played with this team
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen5nu-60861976 - Wave Goodbye > Bad Blood
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen5nu-58211556 - me vs Soulgazer, I guess it illustrates how to deal with stall

I'll probably try to collect replays of how AcroPour works the next time I ladder

Conclusion:

Thank you guys for reading my RMT! It's been a wonderful 1 and a bit years on Smogon. idk what else to write here lol. Also, the obligatory shoutouts:
If I missed anybody... Apologies, let me know and I'll put you here ASAP!

scorpdestroyer: For being the best guy I've ever known. Credit for drawing using his great MS Paint skills and creating the nice Golem picture as well as the badass banner
Acklow: For the really nice picture of a Scolipede
Prankster: For the swag picture of Mandibuzz
Lasagne21: For the incredibly jolly Ludicolo picture, and being a nice guy in general. And being a pile of shit squashed between toilet paper.
Blue Frog : For the Mega Kangaskhan-disguised Kangaskhan :)
FLCL: For the great picture of Ludicolo getting licked by Simipour. Nice guy too
Sweet Jesus: For creating the original Simipour set, being a great battler and a really nice guy. NU will miss you!
Soulgazer: Good battler, and being awesome and stuff
GatoDelFuego: For being a nice guy and GPing probably 80% of my analyses
sandshrewz, Level 51, Metal Sonic and cxinlee: Fellow countrymen, cool people that I've talked to :)
Scene: For drafting me in for PSPL, and being a nice manager. Also sugarhigh even though I don't have any impression of you, you're still manager of the Assassins so I feel obliged to shoutout you :) and Vinc2612 cause you're probably the team's best asset
cbt: really nice guy, forced me to try mirc and ditch mibbit, and fruitlessly trying to force me to use colloquy :>
Raseri: Friendliest tier leader
Treecko: nice guy, also someone I used to talk to a lot
Robert Alfons: good ol' Fagtron, still sorry that your Rampy had screwed up EVs :'( but it's good for me i guess
Kingler12345: for doing uh nothing, but also being a nice guy :)
andrew3391: one of the best, if not the best artist on Smogon imo
atomicllamas: you told me to shout out everyone. i don't have time for that so i'll shoutout you
The entire NU community: best community ever

Importable:
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch

Simipour @ Flying Gem
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 156 Atk / 100 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Hydro Pump
- Endeavor

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Def / 4 SDef / 208 Spd
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail

Last edited:
Hey scorpdestroyer this is a hella strong team. Looking at the team, I can only identify one or two threats. The first is Scarf Rotom-S, as you really have nothing to switch into it if Golem is taken down, which in many games will happen early game, giving you a harder time beating Rotom. Serperior can also be a big problem for your team, as after 2-3 calm minds the combination of Giga Drain and HP Rock OHKO's just about every member of your team bar Golem's sturdy.

Firstly, have you looked into Specially Defensive Roselia? I do realize how Extremely Redundant it's typing is on your team, but I do feel that it is your best chance at beating Serperior and Solidly Checking Rotom's Volt Switch Shenanigans, and Air Slash will only 3HKO. It still allows you to set up spikes, but it also gives you a very solid special wall.

I would also consider SD Samurott over Simipour, as it tends to open holes better for ludicolo than AcroPour, but it honestly is your choice.

Outside of that, there really isn't much I can do. The team is fine the way it is imo. Nice work!

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
Thanks for the rate Brawlfest! tbh i think Specially Defensive Roselia is going to open up more holes than it would patch, because if I use it over Scolipede I'd have no solid Fighting resist because Roselia's defense kinda sucks. I'm also a bit iffy on losing Scolipede because I'd lose the ability to revenge kill weakened special Samurott and Charizard, and Roselia can't provide both entry hazards without sacrificing an important move. If I were to use it, I'll definitely have to change up a few members to patch up on the weaknesses it opens. Usually if I see a Rotom-S, I try to save Golem as much as possible until I'm confident that the rest of the team can deal with it without its help, and with Golem alive, Rotom can't do much apart from Trick it, unless it runs HP Grass which is rare. SD Samurott is an interesting suggestion since it gives me enough bulk to take a few hits, but Simipour's blazing Speed, Endeavor, and luring powers are things I'm not very willing to give up, especially when Endeavor allows me to take down whatever the hell I want as long as I outspeed it. Thanks for the rate though!

hey scorp, great team! so while you've already touched on this a bit, whirlwind on mandibuzz would be a recommendation imo. sooooo i would use it over toxic. why? you can utilize tspikes from scoli. while toxic is really convenient, many times you can just use that. now if you want instant toxic(esp imp since annoying rose garb etc absorb tspikes) a suggestion would be toxic on scolipede. ofc it is usually an inferior move but something to think about
not in shoutouts even though i did uhh nothing :(

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
That's an interesting suggestion. My only qualm is that Mandibuzz can't deal with bulky opponents or stall as easily without Toxic because against bulkier teams I don't set up Toxic Spikes because they always have a grounded Poison-type with them. I'll try that one out though, and see about the results. thanks for the suggestion

Edit: I've been testing it out and it's been pretty good so far, I'll test it some more before I make a decision

Edit2: I tested it a bit more but I'm not very comfortable without Toxic because without it I have to rely on Foul Play to wear down opponents which is too slow. I'll try out Brave Bird over Foul Play with Toxic and see how it goes

Edit3: I like Brave Bird

Edit4: fuk Foul Play

Last edited:
Great team here, really good to watch a teambuilding process, I'm curious if you adjusted it for the post G6 bans or left it altogether?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)