Way of Battling: The Team-Building Process!

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Just watched the Aesoft. I can see why that is a painful loss. Sure there were some mistakes like switching out Politoed when you already controlled the weather--but some of this is just practice. I highly recommend that you save your logs if you don't already so you can analyze your losses. After each loss, note one or two pokemon that caused you trouble in a spreadsheet. For this case, Dragonite and Volcarona were issues. Once you get a series of losses and a repeated pokemon shows up, that is a good sign to make a change. The only way to get to 1050 from 900 is to practice by battling. Team building is part of the equation--the most important part--but knowing how to respond to threats improves your teambuilding skills, as well. Don't be afraid to have a few bad battles. We all started as n00bs here, even the best of us. Good luck and keep practicing :)

These type of teams are very similar to Balanced teams, but the difference is that Bulky Offense are generally more defensive, as the name would suggest. They utilize on entry hazards, such as Stealth Rocks and Spikes. They sometimes even go as far as using Toxic Spikes to prevent that Dragonite from setting up. They concentrate on wearing down the opponent's team and bringing out a sweeper and clean up late-game. These teams can also be called Semi-Stall to an extent, but yet not as "stallish" as them.
I have a doubt. Is it exactly the same Bulky Offense that Semi-Stall? I thought that they are different playstyles.

And I don't know what you mean when you talk about Dragonite.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
@NirvanaR I wouldn't get too caught up in the names of different playstyles. Technically "semistall" really isn't a playstyle; if anything, it's just bulky offense with an emphasis of putting up hazards.

In terms of simply teambuilding, I feel as if simply slapping together a team with a somewhat apparent goal in mind and then adjusting it as time goes on is the way to go for newcomers, as well as more experienced people. It has been shown many times that theorymon doesn't work out the way we want so rather than hypothesise a whole team, just play with one you threw together and adjust as you go along, filling in holes and such.

On team-building I have always inclined more for a balanced type of team, although I always put some more focus on the offensive side of my team. My teams generally consist of a lead (usually a bulky one that can be a able to set up hazards) a special and a physical sweeper, a revenge killer, and both a physically defensive and a specially defensive Pokémon. When I get a good team with this method I usually stay with it for some time adapting it as the time goes by to keep it "fresh".

This is exactly what I've been looking for! I'm very new to the competitive scene, and just tried building a 4drag2mag team with very little idea as to what I was doing. Now that you've pointed out some weaknesses, I may be able to touch it up a little bit. Thanks for doing this, keep up the great work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)