Online Competition Weakness Cup [playable on Showdown!]

To come back to the topic of TerraCotta: Does anyone has an idea how to handle TerraCotta safely? Was thinking about Fake Out Weavile but not sure about that

To come back to the topic of TerraCotta: Does anyone has an idea how to handle TerraCotta safely? Was thinking about Fake Out Weavile but not sure about that
Some kind of bulky Oblivious Slowbro set? Maybe an offensive Starmie set?

The most feasible thing I can think of is outright KOing Terrakion before it can move. Not exactly easy as you have to guess which berry it has, but a Fake Out + faster mon with super-effective STAB (Starmie, Latios, Hawlucha, Serperior, Ribombee, Greninja, etc.) can work if out of options, as you lose the risk of that Terrakion happening to carry the berry that weakens your STAB.

Terrakion is bulky enough to take a not very powerful super-effective STAB move most of the time, but Fake Out makes that point moot, and it can't take two anyways.

Issue: Terrakion uses Protect, Whimsicott uses Tailwind. Then you are screwed.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The most feasible thing I can think of is outright KOing Terrakion before it can move. Not exactly easy as you have to guess which berry it has, but a Fake Out + faster mon with super-effective STAB (Starmie, Latios, Hawlucha, Serperior, Ribombee, Greninja, etc.) can work if out of options, as you lose the risk of that Terrakion happening to carry the berry that weakens your STAB.

Terrakion is bulky enough to take a not very powerful super-effective STAB move most of the time, but Fake Out makes that point moot, and it can't take two anyways.
The problem with this play is that it doesn't account for the turn 1 Tailwind + Protect. Sure, you stop the Tailwind first turn, but then Whimsi just gets Tailwind up for free on turn 2 and the Terracott user is free to switch out their Terrakion into a resist because you can't afford to go for anything other than the super-effective attack that you've already revealed. I think that Feint is a better call for dealing with Terrakion for sure - a lead like Latios + Tsareena can double target it turn 1 and KO even if it protects with Feint + Psychic. Preferably, bring something that can use both Fake Out and Feint - Weavile comes to mind but there's likely one or two more in this format.

The problem with this play is that it doesn't account for the turn 1 Tailwind + Protect. Sure, you stop the Tailwind first turn, but then Whimsi just gets Tailwind up for free on turn 2 and the Terracott user is free to switch out their Terrakion into a resist because you can't afford to go for anything other than the super-effective attack that you've already revealed. I think that Feint is a better call for dealing with Terrakion for sure - a lead like Latios + Tsareena can double target it turn 1 and KO even if it protects with Feint + Psychic. Preferably, bring something that can use both Fake Out and Feint - Weavile comes to mind but there's likely one or two more in this format.
Yeah, I just happened to edit that post including that problem. Feint is better, yeah.

Issue: Terrakion uses Protect, Whimsicott uses Tailwind. Then you are screwed.
You can always have your Tailwind setter start with one of those faster Pokemon (and have another Pokemon faster than Terrakion in reserve) as well.

Also if you don't have a Tailwind setter you should get one (Whimsicott, Togekiss, Aerodactyl, Yanmega, etc). Speed and power seem to be key on Showdown.

hit 1400 with the team of Kommo-O Tyranitar Weavile Breloom Chandelure and Togekiss, so i can give a bit of inside to what ive seen in about 100 games.

imo Aerodactyl should be S tier on the Viability Rankings, it has nearly no answers this format when partnered with Greninja or Weavile, other than outplaying

TerraCott isnt as good as hyped up to be, due to the large amount of Togekiss denying the Beat Up and having a lot of partners for it to KO Terrakion
Since it cannot Close Combat into the Follow Me, its forced to Slide, and Charti helps Togekiss a lot in that situation.
Pokemon like Breloom and Kommo-O are good partners, since they do a good job resisting that Slide, as well as Toge taking a possible Whim Moonblast decently well.
Also i assume Aerodactyl has a decent matchup against TerraCott, being able to deny a Beat Up by simply picking up the Whimsicott with Sky Drop.
As usual though, it will still catch less experienced players without knowledge about the TerraCott combination of guard.

Kommo-O started out pretty underrated, but has picked up popularity the last 2 days, and imo seems like it should be solid A tier atm.
Uppercut+Jab has very few mons resisting both and can hit alot of mons supereffectively. Togekiss can even allow it to set up an SD and help it sweep with Tailwind.

Im seeing next to no Latias or Latios. Theres simply too many Dark types as well as Chandelure, and the occasional Fairy moves on Togekiss and Whimsicott that all give them a hard time.
In addition to that, their Dragon STAB can easily be redirected by a Togekiss and their Psychic STAB only hits Fighting types well.

Trick Room teams usually use mons such as Slowbro, Gigalith, Abomasnow and Crabominable.
None of which are on the Viability Rankings at all, where they should be considered at least B tier.

Other than that, looking at the viability rankings, i have barely seen any of the following mons at all in the 100 games i played (listing 0-3 encounters):
Crawdaunt (2), Drifblim (0), Marowak-A (1), Rhyperrior (3), Chesnaught (0), Decidueye (0), Delphox (2), Eggy (both) (0,0), Minior (2), Parasect (0)

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Other than that, looking at the viability rankings, i have barely seen any of the following mons at all in the 100 games i played (listing 0-3 encounters):
Marowak-A (1), Rhyperior (3), Chesnaught (0), Delphox (2)
...hmmm...

Last edited:
Do you mean foul play?
Yep, I sort of realized I made that mistake after the fact, but was too busy to care to fix it!

TerraCott isnt as good as hyped up to be, due to the large amount of Togekiss denying the Beat Up and having a lot of partners for it to KO Terrakion
Since it cannot Close Combat into the Follow Me, its forced to Slide, and Charti helps Togekiss a lot in that situation.
I'm surprised nobody has been running Poison Jab or Iron Head.

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I've noticed alot of people are having trouble with terracott and Ive been facing it alot and I dont think I've ever lost to it (if I did it was cuz they brought it in the back or something and i played dumb). With Latios and Greninja you almost force a Protect on Terrakion t1 which allows you to KO whims and set your Tailwind which gives you an early advantage as they can't bring in Beat Up user in the back either. Wide Guard Aero is also useful for helping stop Terrak and all the Rock Slide in the meta in general. Greninja and Aerodactyl are the most annoying pokemon in the meta for me as Aero is faster than everything and even if it doesntt check your mons you have to worry about Rock Slide flinches while Greninja is similar in its faster than alot of things (the mons that are faster dont beat it that easily) and it can run a ton of coverage moves.

Enjoying this meta more than Tiny Tour so I hope it should be fun on cart :D

I've seen Poison Jab in one of my most recent games.
Then I'm surprised it hasn't resulted in your Togekiss ending up with squiggly eyes. Maybe holding a Kebia Berry would be smart. It would be situational though, and STAB Rock Slides are going to hurt.

My thoughts for beating Terra-Cott teams is take out Whimsicott while he's using Tailwind (they don't like Weaviles), and hope that you can beat him later on. Maybe have your own Whimsicott on standby to use Tailwind. Having something that can switch into Weavile's place, like maybe Starmie (though I don't think he has high enough attack)? That might be a good idea? Using another Grass type is risky, due to Poison Jab.

Are people really using physical Kommo-o over special? Clanging Scales has damn near nothing to resist it beyond Togekiss and the Grass+Fairy crowd. There are no Steel types.
And Aerodactyl goes miles in that direction lol

Are people really using physical Kommo-o over special? Clanging Scales has damn near nothing to resist it beyond Togekiss and the Grass+Fairy crowd. There are no Steel types.
I am breeding a Modest Jangmo-o at the moment.

I like his special attacks coverage better than his physical.

i tried Special before i switched to Physical. Too many Focus Misses and having sandstorm on my team which gives all rock types x1.5 spdef, of which there are a lot, hurts its damage output.

i tried Special before i switched to Physical. Too many Focus Misses and having sandstorm on my team which gives all rock types x1.5 spdef, of which there are a lot, hurts its damage output.
In this format what would Focus Blast cover that Flash Cannon would not?

Although, I am wanting to use Sand as well, so I may have to switch back to Adamant or maybe try a mixed attacker.

I just dislike lowering Def or SpD.

In this format what would Focus Blast cover that Flash Cannon would not?
252+ SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar in Sand: 126-150 (71.5 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 56-68 (31.8 - 38.6%) -- 96.7% chance to 3HKO
That's one thing, I guess

Kommo-o wants Aura Sphere. What are the chances of Focus Miss hitting twice before Kommo-o gets knocked out? Add a Fairy type move to the equation. Kommo-o also has slightly better Attack.

I tend to go more for reward versus risk.

Focus Blast has the power and STAB, but Flash Cannon hits.

Might be the reason I haven't hit 1600 yet in a PGL event.

I'm still drawing a blank for a team, I thought I was building around a Modest Kommo-o, but now I am rethinking that.

Only 2 Intimidate users and I don't think WoW is going to be thrown around too much.

Quick question: Is Final Gambit Ninjask any good? With max HP, it can KO 'normal' Terrakion and Hydreigon (and others, assuming they invest in attack/special attack/speed), and after a Protect/Speed Boost it outspeeds a lot of Pokémon. It barely loses to max speed Terrakion under tailwind, which is annoying though

Call me crazy, but I'm actually having decent success with Shiftry. It's one of 3(?) Fake Out users we have access to (Weavile, Jynx) and it really does work well against Whimsicott, Aerodactyl, Slowbro and Togekiss to stop Tailwind and Trick Room and allow you to set up your own Tailwind/Taunt. 100 base attack hits pretty hard with Leaf Blade and Sucker Punch (the latter is really handy against Latios and Chandelure). You could even slap Tailwind on the set if you need another user.

It needs support, but Fake Out is REALLY useful in this meta and you can tell straight away what to use it on (Whimsicott I'm looking at you)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)