Weavile [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Taking this over for Ace Emerald.

Weavile

[Overview]

<p>Weavile is the textbook definition of a late-game Pokemon, as it is capable of sweeping large portions of the UU metagame, which is mostly due to its blistering 125 base Speed. This allows Weavile outspeed the majority of the unboosted metagame&mdash;only Meloetta-P and Crobat are faster. Weavile's base 120 Attack lets it tear opposing teams in two thanks to its STAB moves, Ice Punch and Night Slash. However, its super-thin 70 / 65 / 85 Defenses still hold it back. Also, Weavile's typing leaves it with a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, which prevents it from switching in and out of a match effectively, and a weakness to the most common type in UU, Fighting-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Night Slash
move 4: Low Kick
item: Life Orb
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Weavile is arguably the best late-game sweeper available to the Underused metagame, as its unique dual STAB, amazing Speed and sheer power make it difficult to beat once set up. With maximum Speed investment, Weavile is capable of outspeeding all unboosted Pokemon bar Crobat, making it one of the fastest Pokemon available to the tier. Swords Dance brings Weavile's already potent Attack stat to monstrous levels, allowing it to 2HKO and even OHKO many top defensive threats, such as Cofagrigus, Gligar, and Rhyperior. Ice Shard holds a lot of utility in the second slot, as it allows Weavile to check and OHKO Choice Scarf Flygon, which would otherwise outspeed and significantly threaten Weavile, while also allowing it to pick off weakened opponents. After a Swords Dance, Ice Shard OHKOes and 2HKOes many other opposing threats, even those using Choice Scarf. Night Slash acts as Weavile's Dark-type STAB move of choice, allowing it to tear opposing Psychic- and Ghost-types apart. Night Slash also has solid neutral coverage in UU, so it's useful for powering through the opposition mid-sweep. Low Kick occupies the fourth slot to flatten opposing Steel- and Rock-types with the former resisting Weavile's dual STAB, as their cumbersome weight means they'll be taking a lot of damage after a Swords Dance, potentially opening up the opposition for a game-clinching sweep. Low Kick is also effective at removing Snorlax, which stomachs Weavile's STAB attacks with relative ease due to its supreme bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature is a must in order to outspeed positively-natured base 115s, such as Raikou and Azelf. A bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used to give Weavile the chance to set up on stray Ice Beams or Shadow Balls, but now Weavile can only tie with opposing Crobat. If Life Orb recoil isn't your cup of tea, an Expert Belt can be used instead. However, there will be a noticeable drop of damage done to neutrally-hit opponents. Ice Punch can be used over Ice Shard in favor of more damage output, as it is Weavile's strongest physical Ice-type STAB attack, but prevents Weavile from beating the multiple Choice Scarf users that would otherwise outspeed and beat Weavile. Pokemon capable of keeping the field free of entry hazards, specifically Stealth Rock, make for excellent partners, as Weavile cannot afford to continuously switch in on them. Xatu, Blatoise, and Hitmontop all make for great choices, with the latter of the two also resisting Fire- and Rock-type attacks aimed at Weavile. Chandelure can be used to lure in Pursuit users wielding a Choice Band, such as Snorlax, and give Weavile a free turn to set up Swords Dance. The removal of bulky Water-types also makes Weavile's life easier, making Zapdos and Shaymin useful teammates, as their powerful STAB attacks will make quick work of any opposing Water-type. Powerful attackers that can freely switch in on or lure bulky Water-types, specifically Choice Specs Kingdra, Arcanine, and Choice Band Heracross, are also capable of heavily damaging them, giving Weavile room to pull off a sweep.<p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Pursuit
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Ice Punch / Night Slash
item: Choice Band / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its sky-high Speed and Attack, Weavile performs exceptionally well as a revenge killer thanks to the abundance of Ghost- and Psychic-types in the tier and access to Pursuit. Pursuit allows Weavile to put opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Chandelure and Azelf into a checkmate situation, preventing them from switching and doing heavy amounts of damage and 2HKOing both without Stealth Rock damage or the bonus damage from switching. Ice Shard is Weavile's main STAB, allowing it to bust faster opposing threats, such as Choice Scarf Flygon or Choice Scarf Zapdos, wide open. Low Kick is handy for breaking through opposing Rock-, Ice-, and Steel-type opponents that would otherwise resist Pursuit or Ice Shard, potentially opening holes throughout the opposition's defenses. The last slot is more preference-based, as both Ice Punch and Night Slash are acceptable options. Ice Punch deals more damage to slower Flying-, Grass-, and Ground-types than Ice Shard does, but Night Slash is capable of inflicting more damage against opposing Fire-types. Night Slash also guarantees the OHKO on many of the Ghost- and Psychic-types that Pursuit is designed to trap, but when the opponent decides not to switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used in order to take weaker ineffective attacks better while still maintaining the jump on positively-natured base 115s. The choice in item is a personal preference, with Choice Band allowing Weavile to deal more damage and embrace a revenge killer role while Life Orb gives Weavile free reign over its moves at the cost of HP. Do note that if you choose Choice Band, Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is mandatory. Teammates capable of keeping entry hazards away from Weavile, such as Blastoise, Hitmontop, and Xatu, all make for great partners. Depending on your choice of move in the fourth slot, Weavile will require some custom support. If you opted for Ice Punch, teammates capable of removing bulky Water- and Fire-type Pokemon are greatly appreciated. Kingdra, Zapdos, and Rhyperior are all capable of removing at least one of those two types from battle. If Night Slash was chosen, partners capable of removing Fighting-types will be desired. Cofagrigus, Slowbro, and Togekiss are all good candidates for removing Fighting-types and can help ease Weavile's need to come in and defeat the opposition.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Pickpocket can be used to possibly nab viable one-time use items, such as a Focus Sash, Dark Gem, or Lum Berry from the opponent if physical contact is made. It is recommended that the bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe is used if you opt for Pickpocket, as the extra bulk can help Weavile last longer. A set consisting of a Focus Sash, Swords Dance, and Beat Up can be used; however, it's a fairly predictable set and Weavile is usually treated as if it is already carrying a Focus Sash. Agility can be used in tandem with an Adamant nature on the Swords Dance set over Swords Dance and a Jolly nature, making Weavile the fastest thing to step foot in the tier, but it will miss out on many OHKOs that Weavile can net once it sets up with Swords Dance and it requires more support than the original Swords Dance set. Brick Break can be used to guarantee set damage against all Normal-, Rock-, Steel-, and Ice-types, allowing Weavile to do more damage against lighter foes such as Ambipom and Durant. However, Low Kick still does more damage against heavier foes, specifically Snorlax, Abomasnow, and Rhyperior, and Weavile's STAB attacks are usually enough to typically hit Pokemon harder than Brick Break.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-type Pokemon, most notably Suicune and Swampert, sponge Weavile's attacks with extreme ease and can threaten it with Scald or Roar. Beefy Steel-types, such as Bronzong and Escavalier, can all take Low Kick relatively well and threaten Weavile with their STAB move of preference. However, despite resisting both of Weavile's STABs, Registeel cannot afford to switch in on either a Low Kick or a Swords Dance. Outspeeding Weavile with a Choice Scarf user, such as Mienshao, Victini, Chandelure, Rotom-H, Heracross, or Darmanitan, is a solid way of checking Weavile, as they immediately threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, both Mienshao and Heracross take severe damage from a +2 Ice Shard, with the former being OHKOed and the latter taking about 67%. In a pinch, Intimidate users, such as Arcanine, Hitmontop, and Qwilfish, may be used to check Weavile, reducing its Attack stat. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of carrying Thunder Wave, potentially crippling Weavile for the remainder of the match. However, both Qwilfish and Arcanine must be wary of a +1 Night Slash. Hitmontop, on the other hand, carries a super effective STAB and won't be bothered much by +1 Ice Shard, as many Weavile do not carry Ice Punch. Azumarill and Sharpedo are also stable checks to Weavile, as Azumarill OHKOes with Aqua Jet and Sharpedo outspeeds Weavile after a single Speed Boost. However, Sharpedo can only switch in on variants without a Swords Dance boost, as Ice Shard may be able to knock Sharpedo out once at +4.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Nas

Banned deucer.
Your C&C section is a bit lacking, you need to mention Swampert, Scarf Victini/Chandelure/Rotom-H, Azumarill, Sharpedo (checks SD Weavile fine if it's at +0 when you bring Sharpedo in, otherwise you need to predict) and probably Qwilfish too, since it can take a +1 Night Slash (barring a crit) and cripple Weavile with Thunder Wave.

Also tbh I think LO should be slashed before Choice Band on the physical attacker, Weavile really enjoys the ability to switch moves.

I'd say OO mention a Sash lead set with SD (and possibly Beat Up, although if Lass is banned that'll be less useful overall). It's not amazing and it can be really predictable sometimes, but it might warrant an OO spot.

Also tbh I think LO should be slashed before Choice Band on the physical attacker, Weavile really enjoys the ability to switch moves.

I'd say OO mention a Sash lead set with SD (and possibly Beat Up, although if Lass is banned that'll be less useful overall). It's not amazing and it can be really predictable sometimes, but it might warrant an OO spot.
I'll add those then. Thanks!

Your C&C section is a bit lacking, you need to mention Swampert, Scarf Victini/Chandelure/Rotom-H, Azumarill, Sharpedo (checks SD Weavile fine if it's at +0 when you bring Sharpedo in, otherwise you need to predict) and probably Qwilfish too, since it can take a +1 Night Slash (barring a crit) and cripple Weavile with Thunder Wave.
I'll expand on that section then. Thanks!

Nas

Banned deucer.
Ice Punch functions as Weavile's strongest Ice-type STAB attack, absolutely demolishing any Ground-, Grass-, Dragon-, or Flying-type it encounters after a Swords Dance. Ice Shard, albeit significantly weaker than Ice Punch, is an acceptable option in the second slot, as it allows Weavile to check and OHKO Choice Scarf Flygon, who'd otherwise outspeed and significantly threaten Weavile, while also allowing Weavile to pick off weakened opponents.
The slash order is Ice Shard / Ice Punch, the way you're describing it is Ice Punch / Ice Shard, so make sure you fix that up. I also don't really like your description. The reason you would use Ice Shard instead of Ice Punch is because it has more utility against offensive teams that typically rely on Pokemon like Crobat, Flygon, or Choice Scarf Mienshao to check Weavile, whereas Ice Punch is more useful against defensive teams.

Outspeeding Weavile through the means of a Choice Scarf user, especially Mienshao, Victini, Chandelure, Rotom-H, Heracross, or Darmanitan, is a solid means of checking Weavile, as they immediately threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks.
I would mention that Mienshao is OHKOed by +2 Ice Shard, making it a shaky check to Swords Dance Weavile, and Heracross takes upwards of 67% which is also a KO with a few SR switchins.

The slash order is Ice Shard / Ice Punch, the way you're describing it is Ice Punch / Ice Shard, so make sure you fix that up. I also don't really like your description. The reason you would use Ice Shard instead of Ice Punch is because it has more utility against offensive teams that typically rely on Pokemon like Crobat, Flygon, or Choice Scarf Mienshao to check Weavile, whereas Ice Punch is more useful against defensive teams.

I would mention that Mienshao is OHKOed by +2 Ice Shard, making it a shaky check to Swords Dance Weavile, and Heracross takes upwards of 67% which is also a KO with a few SR switchins.
Alrighty. I'll fix these up then. Thanks!

Bumping this, but also letting you guys know that I'm gonna be gone until Sunday evening by the looks of things. Headed out camping with some friends. I was hoping this could have been through GP by now, but no worries. It'll be done by the time I get back. I would however, like to see the 3rd GP check by the time I'm back.

SD SET (Additional comments)

The removal of bulky Water-types also makes Weavile's life easier, making Zapdos and Shaymin useful teammates, as their powerful STAB attacks will make quick work of any opposing Water-type. Powerful attackers that can freely switch in on bulky Water-types, specifically Choice Specs Kingdra, are also capable of heavily damaging them, giving Weavile room to pull off a sweep.
These are all true, however I'd like you to add more realistic scenarios (sadly this has now happened to C&C where analysis are focused on the obvious counters and checks rather than focusing on a practical approach to eliminate certain Pokemon, its not your fault, just the way C&C has been heading the wrong way for a long time now, so please don't think this is aimed at you as it is not).

So please add Swords Dance or Banded Heracross (since they have guts) to lure in bulky waters such as Suicune and Blastoise and hit them for a huge amount of damage. Arcanine despite being weak to Water-type attacks can rip a chunk out of Water-type tanks bar Swampert with Wild Charge.

However, Low Kick still does more damage against heavier foes, specifically Snorlax and Rhyperior, and Weavile's STAB attacks are usually enough to do in Pokemon typically hit harder by Brick Break.
Mention Abomasnow as well as it gets wrecked by a Low Kick.

Checks and counters:

I'd just remove Registeel from this sentence as it kind of contradicts the following statement (I'm referring to Registeel) since if it can get 2hkoed by a +2, it doesn't take it relatively well:

Beefy Steel-types, such as Bronzong, Escavalier, and Registeel, can all take Low Kick relatively well and threaten with their STAB move of preference.
Then the next sentence can be along the lines of:

'Registeel also comes to mind as it resists both of Weavile's STAB moves, however it should be wary of switching into a potential Low Kick or Swords Dance' just a rough example.

I'd add Hitmontop as a counter(infact it outclassses both Arcanine and Qwilfish in terms of beating Weaville since most variants lack Ice punch, meaning that Night Slash being its primary STAB attack is resisted); it got Intimidate, super effective STAB and good bulk to take Weaville's attacks.

Once these are made let me know and I'll stamp this, good work!

Last edited:
SD SET (Additional comments)

These are all true, however I'd like you to add more realistic scenarios (sadly this has now happened to C&C where analysis are focused on the obvious counters and checks rather than focusing on a practical approach to eliminate certain Pokemon, its not your fault, just the way C&C has been heading the wrong way for a long time now, so please don't think this is aimed at you as it is not).

So please add Swords Dance or Banded Heracross (since they have guts) to lure in bulky waters such as Suicune and Blastoise and hit them for a huge amount of damage. Arcanine despite being weak to Water-type attacks can rip a chunk out of Water-type tanks bar Swampert with Wild Charge.

Mention Abomasnow as well as it gets wrecked by a Low Kick.

Checks and counters:

I'd just remove Registeel from this sentence as it kind of contradicts the following statement (I'm referring to Registeel) since if it can get 2hkoed by a +2, it doesn't take it relatively well:

Then the next sentence can be along the lines of:

'Registeel also comes to mind as it resists both of Weavile's STAB moves, however it should be wary of switching into a potential Low Kick or Swords Dance' just a rough example.

I'd add Hitmontop as a counter(infact it outclassses both Arcanine and Qwilfish in terms of beating Weaville since most variants lack Ice punch, meaning that Night Slash being its primary STAB attack is resisted); it got Intimidate, super effective STAB and good bulk to take Weaville's attacks.

Once these are made let me know and I'll stamp this, good work!
Changes done! Thanks Somalia!

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hihi, GP Check! :)

Additions / Removed
Removes
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Weavile is the textbook definition of a late-game Pokemon, as it is capable of sweeping large portions of the UU metagame, which is mostly due thanks (couldn't red out that word for some reason, but yeah, remove it lol) to its blistering 125 base Speed stat. This allows Weavile outspeed the majority of the unboosted metagame&mdashonly Meloetta-P and Crobat are faster. Weavile's base 120 Attack lets Weavile it tear opposing teams in two thanks to its STAB moves, Ice Punch and Night Slash. However, (AC) nothing has changed for Weavile, and its super-thin 70 / 65 / 80 Ddefenses still refuse to permit any sort of abuse hold it back. Also, its Weavile typing leaves it with a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, (AC) that which prevents Weavile it from bouncing switching in and out of a match effectively, (AC) and a weakness to the most common type in UU.</p>(I added the commas because it makes it a bit easier for comprehension with a smoother flow. Also, maybe state the most common type in UU? Because this is is also for inexperienced players, some might not know.)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Weavile is Aarguably the best late-game sweeper available to the Underused metagame (So, Weavile being the best late game sweeper is suspectible to debate, a challenge, or doubt? If that if what you meant, then you can ignore this, but do you mean 'unarguably'?), as its unique dual-STAB, amazing Speed, and sheer power make it difficult to beat once it has set up. With the maximum Speed investment, Weavile is capable of outspeeding all unboosted Pokemon, (AC) bar Choice Band Crobat, making it one of the fastest Pokemon available to the tier. Swords Dance brings Weavile's already potent Attack stat to monstrous levels, allowing it to 2HKO and even OHKO many top defensive threats, such as Cofagrigus, Gligar, and Rhyperior. Ice Shard holds a lot of utility in the second slot, as it allows Weavile to check and OHKO Choice Scarf Flygon, who'd who would otherwise outspeed and significantly threaten Weavile, while also allowing Weavile it to pick off weakened opponents. After a Swords Dance, Ice Shard OHKOes and 2HKOes many other opposing threats while bypassing Choice Scarf's Speed boost. Night Slash performs acts as Weavile's Dark-type STAB move of choice, allowing it to tear opposing Psychic- and Ghost-types apart. Night Slash also has solid neutral coverage in Underused UU, so it's useful for beating powering through the opposition in mid-sweep. Low Kick occupies the fourth slot to flatten opposing Steel- and Rock-types, (AC) with the former resisting Weavile's dual STAB, as their cumbersome weight means they'll be taking a lot of damage after a Swords Dance, potentially opening up the opposition for a game-clinching sweep. Low Kick is also effective at removing Snorlax, who's whose supreme bulk stomachs Weavile's STAB attacks with relative ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread is extremely straightforward, being designed to maximize Weavile's offensive output and Speed. However, a A Jolly nature is a must in order to outspeed positively-natured base 115s, such as Raikou and Azelf. A bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used to give Weavile the chance to set up on stray Ice Beams or Shadow Balls, but now Weavile can only now Speed tie with opposing Crobat. If Life Orb recoil isn't your cup of tea, an Expert Belt may can be used instead. However, there will be a noticeable drop on of damage done to neutrally-hit opponents. Ice Punch may can be used over Ice Shard in favour of more damage output, as it is Weavile's strongest physical Ice-type STAB attack, but it prevents Weavile from beating the multiple Choice Scarf users that would otherwise outspeed and beat Weavile. Pokemon capable of keeping the field free from of entry hazards, (AC) specifically Stealth Rocks, (AC) and other entry hazards make for excellent partners for Weavile, as it simply Weavile cannot afford to continuously switch in on them. Xatu, Blatoise, and Hitmontop all make for solid partners spinners, with the latter of the two also resisting Fire- and Rock-type attacks aimed at Weavile, (AC) respectively. Chandelure can be used to lure in Choice Banded Pursuit users wielding a Choicr Band, such as Snorlax, and give Weavile a free turn to set up a Swords Dance. The removal of bulky Water-types also makes Weavile's life easier, making Zapdos and Shaymin useful teammates, as their powerful STAB attacks will make quick work of any opposing Water-type. Powerful attackers that can freely switch in on or lure bulky Water-types, specifically Choice Specs Kingdra, Arcanine, and Choice Band Heracross, are also capable of heavily damaging them, giving Weavile room to pull off a sweep.<p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its sky-high Speed and Attack, Weavile performs exceptionally well as a revenge killer thanks to the abundance of Ghost- and Psychic-types in the tier and access to Pursuit. Pursuit allows Weavile to put opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, (RC) such as Chandelure and Azelf and Chandelure, (RC) into a checkmate situation, preventing them from switching and doing heavy amounts of damage, (RC) and 2HKOing both without Stealth Rock damage or the bonus damage from switching. Ice Shard is Weavile'sSTAB, allowing Weavile it to bust faster opposing threats, such as Choice Scarf Flygon, or Choice Scarf Zapdos, wide open. Low Kick is handy for breaking through opposing Rock-, Ice-, and Steel-type opponents that would otherwise resist Pursuit or Ice Shard, potentially opening holes throughout the opposition's defencses. The last slot is more preference based, as both Ice Punch and Night Slash are acceptable options to be had. Ice Punch deals more damage to slower Flying-, Grass-, and Ground-types than Ice Shard does, but Night Slash is capable of providing inflicting more damage against opposing Fire-types. Night Slash also guarantees the an OHKO on many of the Ghost- and Psychic-types Pursuit is designed to trap, but the opponent may might not always switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are self-explanitory, allowing Weavile to hit as powerfully and quickly as possible. However, aA bulkier spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe may can be used in order to take weaker ineffective attacks better while still maintaining the jump on positively-natured base 115s. The choice in item is that of a personal preference, with Choice Band allowing Weavile to deal more damage and embrace a revenge killer role, while Life Orb gives Weavile free reign over its moves at the cost of 10% of its HP HP. Do note that if you choose Choice Band, Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is mandatory. Teammates capable of keeping entry hazards away from Weavile, such as Blastoise, Hitmontop, and Xatu, all make for great partners, as their ability to keep its side of the field free from entry hazards will keep Weavile alive for much longer. Depending on your choice of move in the fourth slot, Weavile will require some custom support. If you opted for Ice Punch, teammates capable of removing bulky Water-, (RC) and oppsoing and Fire-type Pokemon are greatly appreciated. Kingdra, Zapdos, and Rhyperior are all capable of removing at least one of those two types from battle. If Night Slash was chosen, partners capable of removing opposing Fighting-types will be desired. Cofagrigus, Slowbro, and Togekiss are all good candidates for removing Fighting-types. and can help ease Weavile's need to come in and beat defeat the opposition down.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Pickpocket can be used in tandem with to possibly nab viable one-time use items, such as a Focus Sash, Dark Gem, or Lum Berry, from the opponent if physical contact is made or any other viable item capable of being "consumed" by Weavile, as it has a chance to nab their held item upon being struck by a contact move. It is recommended that the bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe is used if you opt for Pickpocket, as the extra bulk may can help Weavile last longer make the difference between living the weaker hit or not. A set consisting of a Focus Sash, Swords Dance, and Beat Up may can be used, (RC); however, it's a fairly predictable set and many players treat many Weavile is usually treated as if they were it is already carrying a Focus Sash. Agility can be used in tandem with an Adamant nature on the Swords Dance set over Swords Dance and a Jolly nature, making Weavile the fastest thign thing to step foot in the tier, but it will miss out on many OHKOs that Weavile can net once it sets up with Swords Dance, (AC) the Swords Dance set brings to the table once set up and it requires more support than the original Swords Dance set. Brick Break can be used to guarantee set damage against all Normal-, Rock-, Steel-, and Ice-types, allowing Weavile to do more damage against the likes of Ambipom and Durant. However, Low Kick still does more damage against heavier foes, specifically Snorlax, Abomasnow, and Rhyperior, and Weavile's STAB attacks are usually enough to do in typically hit Pokemon typically hit harder by than Brick Break.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-type Pokemon, namely most notably Suicune and Swampert, sponge Weavile's attacks with extreme ease, (RC) and can threaten it with Scald or Roar. Beefy Steel-types, such as Bronzong and Escavalier, can all take Low Kick relatively well and threaten Weavile with their STAB move of preference. However, (AC) Ddespite resisting both of Weavile's STABs however, Registeel cannot afford to switch in on either a Low Kick or a Swords Dance. Outspeeding Weavile through the means of with a Choice Scarf user, whether it be such as Mienshao, Victini, Chandelure, Rotom-H, Heracross, or Darmanitan, is a solid means way of checking Weavile, as they immediately threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, both Mienshao and Heracross take severe damage from a +2 Ice Shard, with the former of the two is actually being OHKOed, while and the latter takes taking about 67%. In a pinch, Initmidate Intimidate users, such as Arcanine, Hitmontop, and Qwilfish, may can be used to check Weavile, reducing its Attack stat. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of carrying Thunder Wave, potentially crippling Weavile for the remainder of the match. However, both Qwilfish and Arcanine must be wary of a +1 Night Slash. Hitmontop, (AC) on the other hand, carries a super effective STAB, (RC) and won't be bothered much by +1 Ice Shard, as many Weavile do not carry Ice Punch. Azumarill and Sharpedo are also stable checks to Weavile, as Azumarill OHKO's OHKOes with Aqua Jet, and Sharpedo outspeeds Weavile after a single Speed Boost. However, Sharpedo can only switch in on variants without a Swords Dance boost, as Ice Shard may be able to knock Sharpedo out once at +4.</p>(Is this last sentence really necessary? Admittingly, I don't play UU often, but if it is only a possibility to OHKO Sharpedo at +4, why both mentioning it?)

1/2

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Very quick and minor edit, &mdash should be &mdash; -- that ; needs to be there.

Hi, I humbly offer you this amateur check.
Add
Remove
Comments
[Overview]

<p>Weavile is the textbook definition of a late-game Pokemon, as it is capable of sweeping large portions of the UU metagame, which is mostly due to its blistering 125 base Speed stat. This allows Weavile outspeed the majority of the unboosted metagame&mdash;, as only Meloetta-P and Crobat are faster. Weavile's base 120 Attack lets it tear opposing teams in two thanks to its STAB moves, Ice Punch and Night Slash. However, nothing has changed for Weavile, and its super-thin 70 / 65 / 80 Defenses still hold it back. Also, Weavile's typing leaves it with a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, which prevents it from switching in and out of a match effectively, and a weakness to Fighting, the most common type in UU, Fighting-types.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Weavile is arguably the best late-game sweeper available to the Underused metagame, as its unique dual STAB combination, amazing Speed, and sheer power make it difficult to beat once set up. With maximum Speed investment, Weavile is capable of outspeeding all unboosted Pokemon bar Choice Band Crobat, making it one of the fastest Pokemon available to the tier. Swords Dance brings Weavile's already potent Attack stat to monstrous levels, allowing it to 2HKO and even OHKO many top defensive threats, such as Cofagrigus, Gligar, and Rhyperior. Ice Shard holds a lot of utility in the second slot, as it allows Weavile to check and OHKO Choice Scarf Flygon, who would otherwise outspeed and significantly threaten Weavile, while also allowing it to pick off weakened opponents. After a Swords Dance, Ice Shard OHKOes and 2HKOes many other opposing threats while bypassing Choice Scarfs. Night Slash acts as Weavile's Dark-type STAB move of choice, allowing it to tear opposing Psychic- and Ghost-types apart. Night Slash also has solid neutral coverage in UU, so it's useful for powering through the opposition in mid-sweep. Low Kick occupies the fourth slot to flatten opposing Steel- and Rock-types with the former resisting Weavile's dual STAB, as their cumbersome weight means they'll be taking a lot of damage after a Swords Dance, potentially opening up the opposition for a game-clinching sweep. Low Kick is also effective at removing Snorlax, whose supreme bulk stomachs Weavile's STAB attacks with relative ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature is a must in order to outspeed positively-natured base 115s, such as Raikou and Azelf. A bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used to give Weavile the chance to set up on stray Ice Beams or Shadow Balls, but now Weavile can only tie with opposing Crobat. If Life Orb recoil isn't your cup of tea, an Expert Belt can be used instead.; Hhowever, there will be a noticeable drop of damage done to neutrally-hit opponents. Ice Punch can be used over Ice Shard in favor of more damage output, as it is Weavile's strongest physical Ice-type STAB attack, but prevents Weavile from beating the multiple Choice Scarf users that would otherwise outspeed and beat Weavile. Pokemon capable of keeping the field free of hazards, specifically Stealth Rock, make for excellent partners, as Weavile cannot afford to continuously switch in on them. Xatu, Blatoise, and Hitmontop all make for great choices, with the latter of the two also resisting Fire- and Rock-type attacks aimed at Weavile respectively. Chandelure can be used to lure in Pursuit users wielding a Choice Band, such as Snorlax, and give Weavile a free turn to set up Swords Dance. The removal of bulky Water-types also makes Weavile's life easier, making Zapdos and Shaymin useful teammates, as their powerful STAB attacks will make quick work of any opposing Water-type. Powerful attackers that can freely switch in on or lure in bulky Water-types, specifically Choice Specs Kingdra, Arcanine, and Choice Band Heracross, are also capable of heavily damaging them, giving Weavile room to pull off a sweep.<p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its sky-high Speed and Attack, Weavile performs exceptionally well as a revenge killer thanks to the abundance of Ghost- and Psychic-types in the tier and its access to Pursuit. Pursuit allows Weavile to put opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, (Either add a comma here or remove the one after Azelf) such as Chandelure and Azelf, into a checkmate situation, preventing them from switching and doing heavy amounts of damage, and 2HKOing both without Stealth Rock damage or the bonus damage from switching. Ice Shard is Weavile's main STAB, allowing it to bust faster opposing threats, such as Choice Scarf Flygon, or Choice Scarf Zapdos, wide open. Low Kick is handy for breaking through opposing Rock-, Ice-, (I'm not sure if you need these in a list of types, I could be wrong, however) and Steel-type opponents that would otherwise resist Pursuit or Ice Shard, potentially opening holes throughout the opposition's defenses. The last slot is more preference based, as both Ice Punch and Night Slash are acceptable options. Ice Punch deals more damage to slower Flying-, Grass-, (Again, I'm not sure if you need these) and Ground-types than Ice Shard does, but Night Slash is capable of inflicting more damage against opposing Fire and Water-types. Night Slash also guarantees the OHKO on many of the Ghost- and Psychic-types Pursuit is designed to trap, which can be useful, as but the opponent might not always switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used in order to take weaker ineffective attacks better while still maintaining the jump on positively-natured base 115s. The choice in item is a personal preference,: with Choice Band allowings Weavile to deal more damage and embrace a revenge killer role, while Life Orb gives Weavile free reign over its moves at the cost of HP. Do note that if you choose Choice Band, Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is mandatory to keep Weavile alive throughout the course of the match. Teammates capable of keeping entry hazards away from Weavile, such as Blastoise, Hitmontop, and Xatu, all make for great partners, for that reasonas their ability to keep its side of the field free from entry hazards will keep Weavile alive much longer. (These changes are mostly personal preference, so you don't have to add it)Depending on your choice of move in the fourth slot, Weavile will require some custom support. If you opted for Ice Punch, teammates capable of removing bulky Water- and Fire-type Pokemon are greatly appreciated. Kingdra, Zapdos, and Rhyperior are all capable of removing at least one of those two types from battle. If Night Slash was chosen, partners capable of removing Fighting-types will be desired. Cofagrigus, Slowbro, and Togekiss are all good candidates for removing Fighting-types.,
(I assume this was supposed to be a comma)and can help ease Weavile's need to come in and defeat the opposition.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Pickpocket can be used to possibly nab viable one-time use items, such as a Focus Sash, Dark Gem, or Lum Berry from the opponent if physical contact is made. It is recommended that the bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe is used if you opt for Pickpocket, as the extra bulk can help Weavile last longer. A set consisting of a Focus Sash, Swords Dance, and Beat Up can be used; however, it's a fairly predictable set and Weavile is usually treated as if it is already carrying a Focus Sash. Agility can be used in tandem with an Adamant nature on the Swords Dance set over Swords Dance and a Jolly nature, making Weavile the fastest thing to step foot in the tier, but it will miss out on many OHKOs that Weavile it can net once it sets up with Swords Dance, and it requires more support than the original Swords Dance set. Brick Break can be used to guarantee set damage against all Normal-, Rock-, Steel-,(I'm marking every additional example of this in red) and Ice-types, allowing Weavile to do more damage against the likes of Ambipom and Durant. However, Low Kick still does more damage against heavier foes, specifically Snorlax, Abomasnow, and Rhyperior, and Weavile's STAB attacks are usually enough to typically hit Pokemon harder than Brick Break.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-type Pokemon, most notably Suicune and Swampert, sponge Weavile's attacks with extreme ease, and can threaten it with Scald or Roar. Beefy Steel-types that resist Fighting,(I noticed that both examples you gave resisted Fighting, so....) such as Bronzong and Escavalier, can all take Low Kick relatively well and threaten Weavile with their STAB move of preference. However, despite resisting both of Weavile's STABs, Registeel cannot afford to switch in on either a Low Kick or a Swords Dance. Outspeeding Weavile with a Choice Scarf user, such as Mienshao, Victini, Chandelure, Rotom-H, Heracross, or Darmanitan, is a solid way of checking Weavile, as they immediately threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, both Mienshao and Heracross take severe damage from a +2 Ice Shard, with the former being OHKOed, while and the latter taking about 67%. In a pinch, Intimidate users, such as Arcanine, Hitmontop, and Qwilfish, may be used to check Weavile, reducing its Attack stat. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of carrying Thunder Wave, potentially crippling Weavile for the remainder of the match. However, both Qwilfish and Arcanine must be wary of a +1 Night Slash. Hitmontop, on the other hand, carries a super effective STAB and won't be bothered much by +1 Ice Shard, as many Weavile do not carry Ice Punch. Azumarill and Sharpedo are also stable checks to Weavile, as Azumarill OHKOes Weavile (Just letting readers know who. Maybe this is unnecessary)with Aqua Jet, and Sharpedo outspeeds Weavile after a single Speed Boost. However, Sharpedo can only switch in on variants without a Swords Dance boost, as Ice Shard may be able has a chance of OHKOing to knock Sharpedo out once (This part seemed a little wordy) at +4.</p>

Remove
Add
Comments/Questions
Taking this over for Ace Emerald.

Weavile

[Overview]

<p>Weavile is the textbook definition of a late-game Pokemon, as it is capable of sweeping large portions of the UU metagame, which is mostly due to with its blistering 125 base Speed stat. This It allows Weavile outspeed the majority of the unboosted metagame&mdash;(Sorry, what is this lol), with only Meloetta-P and Crobat are being faster. Weavile's base 120 Attack lets it tear opposing teams in two thanks to its STAB moves, Ice Punch and Night Slash. However, nothing has changed for Weavile's, and its super-thin 70 / 65 / 85 Defenses still hold it back. Also, Weavile's Ice typing leaves it with a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, which prevents it from switching in and out of a match effectively, and also a weakness to the most common type in UU, Fighting-types.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Weavile is arguably the best late-game sweeper available to the Underused metagame, as its unique dual STAB, amazing Speed, and sheer power make it difficult to beat once set up. With maximum Speed investment, Weavile is capable of outspeeding all unboosted Pokemon bar Choice Band Crobat, making it one of the fastest Pokemon available to the tier. Swords Dance brings Weavile's already potent Attack stat to monstrous levels, allowing it to 2HKO and even OHKO many top defensive threats, such as Cofagrigus, Gligar, and Rhyperior. Ice Shard holds a lot of utility in the second slot, as it allows Weavile to check and OHKO Choice Scarf Flygon, who would otherwise outspeed and significantly threaten Weavile, while also allowing it to pick off weakened opponents. After a Swords Dance, Ice Shard OHKOes and 2HKOes many other opposing threats while bypassing Choice Scarfs. Night Slash acts as Weavile's Dark-type STAB move of choice, allowing it to tear opposing Psychic- and Ghost-types apart. Night Slash also has solid neutral coverage in UU, so it's useful for powering through the opposition in mid-sweep. Low Kick occupies the fourth slot to flatten opposing Steel- and Rock-types with the former resisting Weavile's dual STAB, as their cumbersome weight means they'll be taking a lot of damage after a Swords Dance, potentially opening up the opposition for a game-clinching sweep. Low Kick is also effective at removing Snorlax, whose supreme bulk stomachs Weavile's STAB attacks with relative ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature is a must mandatory in order to outspeed positively-natured base 115s, such as Raikou and Azelf. A bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used to give Weavile the chance to set up on stray Ice Beams or Shadow Balls, but now Weavile then can only Speed-ties with opposing Crobat. If Life Orb recoil isn't your cup of tea, an Expert Belt can be used instead. However, there will be a noticeable drop of damage done to neutrally-hit opponents. Ice Punch can be used over Ice Shard in favor of more damage output, as it is Weavile's strongest physical Ice-type STAB attack, but prevents Weavile from beating the multiple Choice Scarf users that would otherwise outspeed and beat Weavile. Pokemon capable of keeping the field free of hazards, specifically Stealth Rock, make for excellent partners, as Weavile cannot afford to continuously switch in on them. Xatu, Blatoise, and Hitmontop all make for great choices, with the latter of the two also resisting Fire- and Rock-type attacks aimed at Weavile respectively. Chandelure can be used to lure in Pursuit users wielding a Choice Band, such as Snorlax, and give Weavile a free turn to set up Swords Dance. The removal of bulky Water-types also makes Weavile's life easier, making Zapdos and Shaymin useful teammates, as their powerful STAB attacks will make quick work of any opposing Water-type. Powerful attackers that can freely switch in on or lure bulky Water-types, specifically Choice Specs Kingdra, Arcanine, and Choice Band Heracross, are also capable of heavily damaging them, giving Weavile room to pull off a sweep.<p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its sky-high Speed and Attack, Weavile performs exceptionally well as a revenge killer thanks to the abundance of Ghost- and Psychic-types in the tier and access to Pursuit. Pursuit allows Weavile to put opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Chandelure and Azelf, into a checkmate situation, preventing them from switching and doing heavy amounts of damage and 2HKOing both without Stealth Rock damage or the bonus damage from switching. Ice Shard is Weavile's main STAB, allowing it to bust faster opposing threats, such as Choice Scarf Flygon, or Choice Scarf Zapdos, wide open. Low Kick is handy for breaking through opposing Rock-, Ice-, and Steel-type opponents that would otherwise resist Pursuit or Ice Shard, potentially opening holes throughout the opposition's defenses. The last slot is more preference based, as both Ice Punch and Night Slash are acceptable options. Ice Punch deals more damage to slower Flying-, Grass-, and Ground-types than Ice Shard does, but Night Slash is capable of inflicting more damage against opposing Fire-types. Night Slash also guarantees the OHKO on many of the Ghost- and Psychic-types Pursuit is designed to trap, but the opponent might not always switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used in order to take weaker ineffective attacks better while still maintaining the jump on positively-natured base 115s. (You've mentioned this twice, once it was bad, once it was good. Which one is it?) The choice in item is a personal preference, with Choice Band allowing Weavile to deal more damage and embrace a revenge killer role, while Life Orb gives Weavile free reign over its moves at the cost of HP. Do note that if you choose Choice Band, Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is mandatory. Teammates capable of keeping entry hazards away from Weavile, such as Blastoise, Hitmontop, and Xatu, all make for great partners, as their ability to keep its side of the field free from entry hazards will keep Weavile alive much longer. Depending on your choice of move in the fourth slot, Weavile will require some custom support. If you opted for Ice Punch, teammates capable of removing bulky Water- and Fire-type Pokemon are greatly appreciated. Kingdra, Zapdos, and Rhyperior are all capable of removing at least one of those two types from battle these Pokemon. If Night Slash was chosen, partners capable of removing Fighting-types will be desired. Cofagrigus, Slowbro, and Togekiss are all good candidates for removing Fighting-types. and can help ease Weavile's need to come in and defeat the opposition.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Pickpocket can be used to possibly nab viable one-time use items, such as a Focus Sash, Dark Gem, or Lum Berry from the opponent if physical contact is made. It is recommended that the bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe is used if you opt for Pickpocket, as the extra bulk can help Weavile last longer. (Mentioned again lol, not QC, but I am pretty sure this should be moved to OO, it doesn't need to be mentioned on every set.) A set consisting of a Focus Sash, Swords Dance, and Beat Up can be used; however, it's a fairly predictable set and Weavile is usually treated as if it is already carrying a Focus Sash. Agility can be used in tandem with an Adamant nature on the Swords Dance set over Swords Dance and a Jolly nature, making Weavile the fastest thing to step foot in the tier, but it will miss out on many OHKOs that Weavile can net once it sets up with Swords Dance, and it requires more support than the original Swords Dance set. Brick Break can be used to guarantee set damage against all Normal-, Rock-, Steel-, and Ice-types, allowing Weavile to do more damage against the likes of Ambipom and Durant. However, Low Kick still does more damage against heavier foes, specifically Snorlax, Abomasnow, and Rhyperior, and Weavile's STAB attacks are usually enough to typically hit Pokemon harder than Brick Break.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-type Pokemon, most notably Suicune and Swampert sponge Weavile's attacks with extreme ease, and can threaten it with Scald or Roar. Beefy Steel-types, such as Bronzong and Escavalier, can all take Low Kick relatively well and threaten Weavile with their STAB move of preference. However, despite resisting both of Weavile's STABs, Registeel cannot afford to switch in on either a Low Kick or a Swords Dance. Outspeeding Weavile with a Choice Scarf user, such as Mienshao, Victini, Chandelure, Rotom-H, Heracross, or Darmanitan, is a solid way of checking Weavile, as they immediately threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, both Mienshao and Heracross take severe damage from a +2 Ice Shard, with the former being OHKOed, while the latter taking about 67%. In a pinch, Intimidate users, such as Arcanine, Hitmontop, and Qwilfish, may be used to check Weavile, reducing its Attack stat. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of carrying Thunder Wave, potentially crippling Weavile for the remainder of the match. However, both Qwilfish and Arcanine must be wary of a +1 Night Slash. Hitmontop, on the other hand, carries a super effective STAB and won't be bothered much by +1 Ice Shard, as many Weavile do not carry Ice Punch. Azumarill and Sharpedo are also stable checks to Weavile, as Azumarill OHKOes with Aqua Jet, and Sharpedo outspeeds Weavile after a single Speed Boost. However, Sharpedo can only switch in on variants without a Swords Dance boost, as Ice Shard may be able to knock Sharpedo out once at +4, but this is very unlikely.</p>

(Not GP, Applying for one and need practice!)

I don't know about UU and how Weavile is treated, but this sentence in OO:

A set consisting of a Focus Sash, Swords Dance, and Beat Up can be used; however, it's a fairly predictable set and Weavile is usually treated as if it is already carrying a Focus Sash.
Why? Focus Sash isn't slashed, not even AC in any of the listed sets.

unboosted metagame&mdash;(Sorry, what is this lol), with only Meloetta-P and Crobat are being faster.
the &mdash; means em dash, that is, this symbol:
it's slightly longer than a regular dash (-) and is often used interchangeably with parentheses. it's also okay to use it to add a sort of afterthought. as for the sentence that you changed, the usage of the &mdash; there is correct, but your change is fine, too

the &mdash; means em dash, that is, this symbol:
it's slightly longer than a regular dash (-) and is often used interchangeably with parentheses. it's also okay to use it to add a sort of afterthought. as for the sentence that you changed, the usage of the &mdash; there is correct, but your change is fine, too

Oh ok, thank you very much for your help!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemazter

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Weavile is the textbook definition of a late-game Pokemon, as it is capable of sweeping large portions of the UU metagame, which is mostly due to its blistering 125 base Speed stat. This allows Weavile outspeed the majority of the unboosted metagame&mdash;only Meloetta-P and Crobat are faster. Weavile's base 120 Attack lets it tear opposing teams in two thanks to its STAB moves, Ice Punch and Night Slash. However, nothing has changed for Weavile, and its super-thin 70 / 65 / 85 Defenses still hold it back. Also, Weavile's typing leaves it with a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, which prevents it from switching in and out of a match effectively, and a weakness to the most common type in UU, Fighting-types.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Weavile is arguably the best late-game sweeper available to the Underused metagame, as its unique dual STAB, amazing Speed, (RC) and sheer power make it difficult to beat once set up. With maximum Speed investment, Weavile is capable of outspeeding all unboosted Pokemon bar Choice Band Crobat, making it one of the fastest Pokemon available to the tier. Swords Dance brings Weavile's already potent Attack stat to monstrous levels, allowing it to 2HKO and even OHKO many top defensive threats, such as Cofagrigus, Gligar, and Rhyperior. Ice Shard holds a lot of utility in the second slot, as it allows Weavile to check and OHKO Choice Scarf Flygon, who which would otherwise outspeed and significantly threaten Weavile, while also allowing it to pick off weakened opponents. After a Swords Dance, Ice Shard OHKOes and 2HKOes many other opposing threats, even those using while bypassing Choice Scarfs. Night Slash acts as Weavile's Dark-type STAB move of choice, allowing it to tear opposing Psychic- and Ghost-types apart. Night Slash also has solid neutral coverage in UU, so it's useful for powering through the opposition in mid-sweep. Low Kick occupies the fourth slot to flatten opposing Steel- and Rock-types with the former resisting Weavile's dual STAB, as their cumbersome weight means they'll be taking a lot of damage after a Swords Dance, potentially opening up the opposition for a game-clinching sweep. Low Kick is also effective at removing Snorlax, whose which supreme bulk stomachs Weavile's STAB attacks with relative ease due to its supreme bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature is a must in order to outspeed positively-natured base 115s, such as Raikou and Azelf. A bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used to give Weavile the chance to set up on stray Ice Beams or Shadow Balls, but now Weavile can only tie with opposing Crobat. If Life Orb recoil isn't your cup of tea, an Expert Belt can be used instead. However, there will be a noticeable drop of damage done to neutrally-hit opponents. Ice Punch can be used over Ice Shard in favor of more damage output, as it is Weavile's strongest physical Ice-type STAB attack, but prevents Weavile from beating the multiple Choice Scarf users that would otherwise outspeed and beat Weavile. Pokemon capable of keeping the field free of entry hazards, specifically Stealth Rock, make for excellent partners, as Weavile cannot afford to continuously switch in on them. Xatu, Blatoise, and Hitmontop all make for great choices, with the latter of the two also resisting Fire- and Rock-type attacks aimed at Weavile respectively. Chandelure can be used to lure in Pursuit users wielding a Choice Band, such as Snorlax, and give Weavile a free turn to set up Swords Dance. The removal of bulky Water-types also makes Weavile's life easier, making Zapdos and Shaymin useful teammates, as their powerful STAB attacks will make quick work of any opposing Water-type. Powerful attackers that can freely switch in on or lure bulky Water-types, specifically Choice Specs Kingdra, Arcanine, and Choice Band Heracross, are also capable of heavily damaging them, giving Weavile room to pull off a sweep.<p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its sky-high Speed and Attack, Weavile performs exceptionally well as a revenge killer thanks to the abundance of Ghost- and Psychic-types in the tier and access to Pursuit. Pursuit allows Weavile to put opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Chandelure and Azelf, (RC) into a checkmate situation, preventing them from switching and doing heavy amounts of damage and 2HKOing both without Stealth Rock damage or the bonus damage from switching. Ice Shard is Weavile's main STAB, allowing it to bust faster opposing threats, such as Choice Scarf Flygon, (RC) or Choice Scarf Zapdos, wide open. Low Kick is handy for breaking through opposing Rock-, Ice-, and Steel-type opponents that would otherwise resist Pursuit or Ice Shard, potentially opening holes throughout the opposition's defenses. The last slot is more preference-based, as both Ice Punch and Night Slash are acceptable options. Ice Punch deals more damage to slower Flying-, Grass-, and Ground-types than Ice Shard does, but Night Slash is capable of inflicting more damage against opposing Fire-types. Night Slash also guarantees the OHKO on many of the Ghost- and Psychic-types that Pursuit is designed to trap, but when the opponent might not decides not to always switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe can be used in order to take weaker ineffective attacks better while still maintaining the jump on positively-natured base 115s. The choice in item is a personal preference, with Choice Band allowing Weavile to deal more damage and embrace a revenge killer role, (RC) while Life Orb gives Weavile free reign over its moves at the cost of HP. Do note that if you choose Choice Band, Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is mandatory. Teammates capable of keeping entry hazards away from Weavile, such as Blastoise, Hitmontop, and Xatu, all make for great partners, as their ability to keep its side of the field free from entry hazards will keep Weavile alive much longer. Depending on your choice of move in the fourth slot, Weavile will require some custom support. If you opted for Ice Punch, teammates capable of removing bulky Water- and Fire-type Pokemon are greatly appreciated. Kingdra, Zapdos, and Rhyperior are all capable of removing at least one of those two types from battle. If Night Slash was chosen, partners capable of removing Fighting-types will be desired. Cofagrigus, Slowbro, and Togekiss are all good candidates for removing Fighting-types and can help ease Weavile's need to come in and defeat the opposition.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Pickpocket can be used to possibly nab viable one-time use items, such as a Focus Sash, Dark Gem, or Lum Berry from the opponent if physical contact is made. It is recommended that the bulkier EV spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe is used if you opt for Pickpocket, as the extra bulk can help Weavile last longer. A set consisting of a Focus Sash, Swords Dance, and Beat Up can be used; however, it's a fairly predictable set and Weavile is usually treated as if it is already carrying a Focus Sash. Agility can be used in tandem with an Adamant nature on the Swords Dance set over Swords Dance and a Jolly nature, making Weavile the fastest thing to step foot in the tier, but it will miss out on many OHKOs that Weavile can net once it sets up with Swords Dance, (RC) and it requires more support than the original Swords Dance set. Brick Break can be used to guarantee set damage against all Normal-, Rock-, Steel-, and Ice-types, allowing Weavile to do more damage against lighter foes such as the likes of Ambipom and Durant. However, Low Kick still does more damage against heavier foes, specifically Snorlax, Abomasnow, and Rhyperior, and Weavile's STAB attacks are usually enough to typically hit Pokemon harder than Brick Break.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-type Pokemon, most notably Suicune and Swampert, (AC) sponge Weavile's attacks with extreme ease, (RC) and can threaten it with Scald or Roar. Beefy Steel-types, such as Bronzong and Escavalier, can all take Low Kick relatively well and threaten Weavile with their STAB move of preference. However, despite resisting both of Weavile's STABs, Registeel cannot afford to switch in on either a Low Kick or a Swords Dance. Outspeeding Weavile with a Choice Scarf user, such as Mienshao, Victini, Chandelure, Rotom-H, Heracross, or Darmanitan, is a solid way of checking Weavile, as they immediately threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, both Mienshao and Heracross take severe damage from a +2 Ice Shard, with the former being OHKOed, (RC) while and the latter taking about 67%. In a pinch, Intimidate users, such as Arcanine, Hitmontop, and Qwilfish, may be used to check Weavile, reducing its Attack stat. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of carrying Thunder Wave, potentially crippling Weavile for the remainder of the match. However, both Qwilfish and Arcanine must be wary of a +1 Night Slash. Hitmontop, on the other hand, carries a super effective STAB and won't be bothered much by +1 Ice Shard, as many Weavile do not carry Ice Punch. Azumarill and Sharpedo are also stable checks to Weavile, as Azumarill OHKOes with Aqua Jet, (RC) and Sharpedo outspeeds Weavile after a single Speed Boost. However, Sharpedo can only switch in on variants without a Swords Dance boost, as Ice Shard may be able to knock Sharpedo out once at +4.</p>

2/2

Last edited:
Thanks for the GP check Gato. Currently editing this in.

However, I am not removing Choice Band on Crobat, as its two sets differ in Speed, and Weavile is able to outspeed Stallbreaker Crobat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)