Pokémon Weezing-Galar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Base Stats: 65 HP | 90 Atk | 120 Def | 85 SpA | 70 SpD | 60 Spe

Abilities: Levitate | Neutralizing Gas | Misty Surge (H)

[Notable Moves]
Level Up Moves:
- [00] Double Hit
- [01] Double Hit
- [01] Strange Steam
- [01] Defog
- [01] Heat Wave
- [01] Smog
- [01] Smokescreen
- [01] Haze
- [01] Poison Gas
- [01] Tackle
- [01] Fairy Wind
- [01] Aromatic Mist
- [12] Clear Smog
- [16] Assurance
- [20] Sludge
- [24] Aromatherapy
- [28] Self-Destruct
- [32] Sludge Bomb
- [38] Toxic
- [44] Belch
- [50] Explosion
- [56] Memento
- [62] Destiny Bond
- [68] Misty Terrain
TMs:
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM16] Screech
- [TM20] Self-Destruct
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM23] Thief
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM33] Rain Dance
- [TM34] Sunny Day
- [TM38] Will-O-Wisp
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM57] Payback
- [TM58] Assurance
- [TM71] Wonder Room
- [TM74] Venoshock
- [TM76] Round
- [TM89] Misty Terrain
- [TM97] Brutal Swing
TRs:
- [TR02] Flamethrower
- [TR08] Thunderbolt
- [TR09] Thunder
- [TR15] Fire Blast
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR22] Sludge Bomb
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR33] Shadow Ball
- [TR35] Uproar
- [TR36] Heat Wave
- [TR37] Taunt
- [TR43] Overheat
- [TR52] Gyro Ball
- [TR54] Toxic Spikes
- [TR58] Dark Pulse
- [TR78] Sludge Wave
- [TR90] Play Rough
- [TR91] Venom Drench
- [TR92] Dazzling Gleam
Egg Moves:
- Psybeam
- Pain Split
- Grudge
- Spite
- Curse
- Stockpile
- Swallow
- Spit Up
- Haze
- Sludge Bomb
- Memento
- Destiny Bond
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Strange Steam
- Defog
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Play Rough

[New Ability]

Neutralizing Gas
- Suppresses the effects of Abilities of all Pokémon currently in battle.

Similar to Unnerve, this will prevent an ability from activating right away. When Weezing-Galar switches out, abilities like Intimidate will trigger (see this post)

[New Moves]

Strange Steam

90 BP
95% Accuracy
10 PP
May confuse the target (20%)

[Pros]

- Galarian Weezing has a pretty solid typing with useful resistances and immunities - immunities include from being Poisoned, Dragon-type attacks, and Ground-type attacks (with Levitate).
- Neutralizing Gas can be a headache against Pokemon with Regenerator since it won't activate while Galar Weezing is on the field and the opposing Regenerator Pokemon switches out.
- Wide movepool with an okay Special Attack stat makes it not terribly passive
- Access to Defog, Aromatherapy, Haze, Toxic Spikes, Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic gives it a lot of interesting methods to be a utility Pokemon

[Cons]

- Without Levitate Galarian Weezing becomes prone to Spikes (and Ground-type attacks).
- While Misty Surge sounds great, it also shuts down Galarian Weezing's capabilities of crippling Pokemon bar that those that levitate.
- Mediocre Special bulk
- Gimped recovery in Pain Split

[Dynamaxing Potential]
- Defensive Pokemon usually aren't the prime candidates for Dynamaxing under most circumstances.
- Strange Beam can make the field into Misty Terrain, which can work against Toxic Spikes and Will-O-Wisp.
- Fire-type moves can create sun, which may be ideal under niche circumstances.

[Potential Movesets]

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate / Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Strange Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes / Defog / Aromatherapy

You could potentially slash away Pain Split if you feel confident, or slap Sludge Bomb / Flamethrower somewhere for coverage / chance of Poison. Toxic Spikes, Defog, and / or Aromatherapy are all solid choices for Galarian Weezing to use for utility. Feel free to add more utility moves if needed. Haze can prevent some Pokemon from getting too crazy with setup such as Dragon Dance Gyarados. Toxic is also a solid option since few Pokemon get the attack this time around.

Neutralizing Gas is an option that can shut down abilities like Gyarados's Moxie, Darmanitan-Galar's Gorilla Tactics and Zen Mode (though keep in mind without Levitate you're prone to Earthquake), and prevent Regenerator from activating - among other benefits. While it makes Weezing prone to Spikes, it also allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes.

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ran the set in the OP but with 3 attacks (strange steam, sludge bomb, fire blast) + defog, levitate as the ability. probably not optimal, sludge bomb is especially easy to replace since it's only really good for spreading poison + threatening fairies better. i feel in ou fire blast is necessary though, at least if you're wanting it to be your defogger, since being able to threaten ferrothorn is huuuuuge. it also helps that it gives you a way to dent aegislash since that thing is still broken (it's hard to notice with all the dynamax craziness atm tho). the movepool + resistances make for a pretty neat defensive mon, greatly helps with certain dragons, fighting types, etc.

im also wondering if a more specially defensive set could be alright, although its natural special bulk doesnt seem good enough to justify that. still, being able to take on specially oriented dragapult sets and hydreigon must count for something.

Sadly Misty Surge actually IMPAIRS Galar Weezing rather than helping it. Having access to not just Will-O-Wisp, but the now more elusive Toxic, is kinda pointless if you set up a terrain that blocks your own status afflictions as well as the opponents. Stick to Levitate or Neutralizing Gas peeps.

I’d like to further vouch my support for Toxic on Galarian Weezing after using it in the speculative meta. It’s very nice when paired with Defog as it gives Weezing something useful to do against Stealth Rock Galarian Corsola, which would otherwise wall it to hell and back.

Worth noting that, as I understand how Neutralizing Gas works, Weezing acts as a hard-counter to Ditto in the event that you are running a set-up sweeper that can't get behind a substitute in time, as Imposter gets negated, although I'm not sure what this interaction looks like. Presumably Ditto Struggles if you hard-switch Weezing in as it doesn't have time to switch moves to Transform? Can anyone confirm this interaction?

Galarian-Weezing is also the only Pokemon in the game that can poison Galarian-Rapidash :smogthink:

Worth noting that, as I understand how Neutralizing Gas works, Weezing acts as a hard-counter to Ditto in the event that you are running a set-up sweeper that can't get behind a substitute in time, as Imposter gets negated, although I'm not sure what this interaction looks like. Presumably Ditto Struggles if you hard-switch Weezing in as it doesn't have time to switch moves to Transform? Can anyone confirm this interaction?

Galarian-Weezing is also the only Pokemon in the game that can poison Galarian-Rapidash :smogthink:
I imagine it would just nullify the ability of whatever mon Ditto turns into. Sadly I think once Ditto transforms into your +2 Gyarados you're straight fucked regardless of Weezing.

I imagine it would just nullify the ability of whatever mon Ditto turns into. Sadly I think once Ditto transforms into your +2 Gyarados you're straight fucked regardless of Weezing.
Yeah, now that you point that out, I guess Pyukumuku is still the only real solution to most of the popular Ditto transforms :blobsad: I forgot that Imposter is actually SO unbalanced that Ditto straight-up copies everything down to the ability.

Anyone cab recommend a set with Misty Surge to support Hawlucha?

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge | Terrain Extended
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
-Wonder Room
-Memento
-Protect
-Dazzling Gleam/Fire Blast/Sludge Bomb

Maybe???? Idk I just threw it together. don’t hurt me

Wouldn’t Levitate or Neutralizing Gas be better than Misty Surge?
I chose Misty Surge to make it lead mon so u lay terrain and prevent Twave and Wisp. Essentially it’s role it to prevent status and memento out so you bring the sweeper in for a free boost. The opponent is gonna be at -2 offenses so they’ll have to switch out which nets u free boost like DDance.

I threw in wonder room to mess with physical attackers like bulky corviknight. Pretty sure Knight is not gonna enjoy being weak on the defense side. The last slot is basically coverage vs stab. I didn’t know what to put there

Ema Skye

Work!
I chose Misty Surge to make it lead mon so u lay terrain and prevent Twave and Wisp. Essentially it’s role it to prevent status and memento out so you bring the sweeper in for a free boost. The opponent is gonna be at -2 offenses so they’ll have to switch out which nets u free boost like DDance.

I threw in wonder room to mess with physical attackers like bulky corviknight. Pretty sure Knight is not gonna enjoy being weak on the defense side. The last slot is basically coverage vs stab. I didn’t know what to put there
Hawlucha is not grounded so it does not get the status benefits from Misty Terrain.

Yeah, I feel out of any of the Pokemon they could have given Misty Terrain to, Galarian Weezing was definitely one of the worst options. Weezing has always been a Pokemon that performed best as a status-inducer, whether it was with Will-o-Wisp, Toxic Spikes, Toxic, or getting Poison hax with Sludge Bomb. Take that away with Misty Terrain and what are you left with? A sub-par attacker that gains a Ground-weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)