What do you want to do as a career?

I still want to be a marine biologist, even when I'm shown several times that I'm not good enough.
I know I'm now an illustrator, but I still haven't given up the science part of myself.
Science as always been cooler than art from my point of view.

Maybe I should take several year's of rest and continue college biology after I earn some money for myself.
Can I just say how cool it is that you're the one who translated the Chinese leaks?

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Chemical engineering has very little to do with the chemistry you're exposed to in high school. ChemE is more focused on things like fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and kinetics. You've probably had a little bit of kinetics and thermo if you've taken AP chem but there's not much else for reference. Take an intro to cheme class if you think it will interest you but I know a lot of people who just kind of jumped in to cheme and we all regretted it by senior year.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right now I'm a digital marketer, in a bit of a unique situation because it's big IT industry b2b. While my expertise is in programmatic display, I know a bit about everything, from SEM and paid social, to content sponsorships and video. Since it's a pretty exciting field and I'm working with the most modern tech and trends, I could definitely see myself making a long term career out of it. The only exception would be if my hobby takes off to the point where there is a market demand for me to go pro-- but even then, I'd probably be heavily involved as a content creator, SME, evangelist, so it would not be too much of a step away from marketing and media.

Last edited:
Always wanted to be a doctor but seems like I'm not good enough for that. So now I'm not really sure
Go into law. Law is a very good middle ground if you don't know what to do. (I had the same goal as you originally but I didn't make it in either.) :toast:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Legit have no fucking idea, not even studying what I originally wanted to do but I think I like this course anyway.

Go into law. Law is a very good middle ground if you don't know what to do. (I had the same goal as you originally but I didn't make it in either.) :toast:
Law is incredibly competitive if you do not specialize into a particular section of law. Being a lawyer in general can be increasingly competitive, but being something like a patent lawyer, where you understand the technicalities of the patent AND the law, can earn you a significant amount of money, as there are not many patent lawyers that fully understand the science behind what they are representing.

Law is incredibly competitive if you do not specialize into a particular section of law. Being a lawyer in general can be increasingly competitive, but being something like a patent lawyer, where you understand the technicalities of the patent AND the law, can earn you a significant amount of money, as there are not many patent lawyers that fully understand the science behind what they are representing.
As a law student, yes it can be competitive I suppose but in terms of the possibilities and fields you can enter into - that's really not the worst thing about it. You end up specializing no matter what field you head into, so I hardly see the drawback. Being a patent lawyer is very, very boring btw. You follow the same procedure for every case and there is only so much that you can deviate from.

I literally have 0 interest in law actually haha.

Tried physics and it just didn't work, went with the safe choice in biology for now

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Right now I'm a digital marketer, in a bit of a unique situation because it's big IT industry b2b. While my expertise is in programmatic display, I know a bit about everything, from SEM and paid social, to content sponsorships and video. Since it's a pretty exciting field and I'm working with the most modern tech and trends, I could definitely see myself making a long term career out of it. The only exception would be if my hobby takes off to the point where there is a market demand for me to go pro-- but even then, I'd probably be heavily involved as a content creator, SME, evangelist, so it would not be too much of a step away from marketing and media.
Cool, I always thought you studied business/ commerce.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Zookeeper, and possibly a zoo registrar when I get older, have my own place and settle down. I would like to specialize in reptiles and terrestrial invertebrates, although I am open to working with most animals starting out. Originally I wanted to be a field researcher, but I wanted to do more education and have more interaction with the public so zookeeping was a better fit.

Zookeeper, and possibly a zoo registrar when I get older, have my own place and settle down. I would like to specialize in reptiles and terrestrial invertebrates, although I am open to working with most animals starting out. Originally I wanted to be a field researcher, but I wanted to do more education and have more interaction with the public so zookeeping was a better fit.
Sounds neat

Lottery winning multimillionaire. Kick enough into the banks to live modestly off interest, invest half into securities to have a growing nest egg for the rest of my life, and enjoy life by traveling with the rest. Always wanted to do some world cruises, more time at Disney World, etc. Maybe blog life abroad and have donations set up to get more money from writing?

Or if you mean realistically...well what are some high paying jobs that are non-supervisory? I hate supervising. In my current job, that would mean moving over to budgeting, which never has any hirings going on for it >.>

Still don't know what i want to be/do, but it is nice to hear what other peoples interests are, since i should make a decision on what i want to study soon.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know that I'm probably going to wind up doing some sort of writing, I just keep waffling on exactly what I'd be writing.

Currently I'm going to school for a film/television degree. If I were to stick with that I'd probably end up writing for TV, as I've written a lot more TV episodes than feature-length films over the past few years. I wouldn't rule out writing any features if I were to pursue that path, however.

The other thing I've been interested in is game design - specifically writing game narratives, which feels like an extremely narrow field and I have no idea how I would even begin to break into the industry. At the current moment this is the one I'm leaning, but I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to go about accomplishing it.

if all else fails i have a nice cushy IKEA job waiting for me back home haha kill me

Well, YouTube and Twitch are my main plan. Gotta record/stream them battles! :]
But I'm studying graphic design. I wanna go into the video game field in the future. And I figured it would help out with the channel as well.
Keeping it simple. Especially after doing the military for 4 years. But I didn't want to make a career of that lol.

I want to go into programming when I'm older. I'm planning on trying to learn Python and C++ soon, because they're two of the most commonly used programming languages. Programming seems like it would be a pretty interesting thing to do, and it'll be very useful for creating programs for helping other people.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thought I wanted to be a vet tech but Im now learning about different options. Thinking about getting into animal nutrition or behavior. If I can do this internationally, that would be optimal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)