what helps you fall asleep?

I have a very hard time trying to mentally relax, and I can't get good sleep if I have a lot of things stressing me out. I'm usually falling asleep because of exhaustion from my week of working 50 hours plus whatever grading and lesson planning that I have to get done, and that leaves me waking up in the morning just as tired as when I went to sleep. The only time that I really get good, restful sleep is when I've been able to catch up on everything and take some time to relax... which is a rarity as something always seems to need to be done all around me.

When I was in middle school, I got into the habit of listening to talk radio to pass the time falling asleep. It started out as being a way to both tune out my parents arguments at night as well as entertain me when I couldn't sleep. As I got older in high school and in college, and as I started to have stress induced insomnia, I'd usually lay awake listening to some sort of news or comedy or old timey radio theater to try and quiet my mind. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it wouldn't. But because I've always fallen asleep with the radio on as a distraction from my thoughts or as background noise, I have a very hard time falling asleep without something to listen to.

I go through phases in what I listen to and like I said, I listen to a whole bunch of different types of programming when falling asleep. I've recently been listening to a lot of Coast to Coast AM and Ground Zero for whatever reason. I'm not close to being a believer in the paranormal or in conspiracy theories, but it's entertaining to listen to and to expose myself to different ideas.

So yeah. The two things that help me get good sleep are having a clear mind and having the radio on. I also get weirdly calm during storms and high wind, and that helps sometimes as well.

It kind of helps to turn off all artificial lights one hour before bed for me. I also try to fill my stomach before bed since sometimes eating helps me relax and not wake up fast with a growling stomach (restless). Also, drawing or watching something before bed. Also, singing helps me have fun and just reduce stress in general.

Also, a good cry helps me reduce anything that is stressing me out a bunch. xD People should cry more and get rid of that whole "being tough" act because they're afraid of being seen as weak, it really helps reduce stress.

There is this anime called "The Prince of Tennis"
It's so boring it puts me to sleep in 10 minutes or so. Really helped me get my sleep schedule back on track.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i used to take advil before bed but i stopped cause i was dependent on it. so what i do is just sit there in bed close my eyes and keep my fan on second to last max fan speed, and i just lay there. after 15-20 min ur body will be already shutting down and before you know it you pass out. i did this a lot before for when i used to be interested in lucid dreaming but now i just fall asleep instead of trying to be awake.
Advil makes you tired? That's odd, I've never heard of it causing drowsiness. I mean unless you're taking like way over the recommended dose. Don't do that ever again btw if you did. I was heavily dependent on Advil/Ibuprofen while in the Army and now I'm riddled with duodenal ulcers. No fun. Stick to Melatonin for sleep or Tylenol for pain killers. Tylenol is like marginally less effective but doesn't tear up your stomach.

Advil makes you tired? That's odd, I've never heard of it causing drowsiness. I mean unless you're taking like way over the recommended dose. Don't do that ever again btw if you did. I was heavily dependent on Advil/Ibuprofen while in the Army and now I'm riddled with duodenal ulcers. No fun. Stick to Melatonin for sleep or Tylenol for pain killers. Tylenol is like marginally less effective but doesn't tear up your stomach.
ye advil pm only take 2 which is the recommended dose and u knock out. never liked melatonin cause it never worked. i don't do this anymore this was just a moment in time where i just couldn't sleep

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Try to keep away from screens for an hour or so before bed, I also find reading (physical books) to help a lot if I can’t fall asleep due to anxiety or whatever, it both distracts me and doesn’t wake me back up as much as other forms of distraction.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Listening to music, any kind that is in my Playlist. That's my ensured way to sleepy deeply land :3

Turning on the AC or fan helps a lot because I like the noise, or just looking at my fish tank when that doesn’t help. I don’t know why but music never really helps me go to sleep, it just hypes me up a lot more and does the opposite lmao

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Something I’ve been doing recently is a little thing sorta similar to counting sheep; hard to explain so I’ll just type out the first few and then go from there:

“The toes on my left foot are feeling very heavy
“The toes on my right foot are feeling very heavy
“The heel of my left foot is feeling very heavy
“The heel of my right foot is feeling very heavy
“My left ankle is feeling very heavy
“My right ankle is feeling very heavy
“My left shin is feeling very heavy
“My right shin is feeling very heavy”
Etc.

I say these slowly in my head, making sure I always say “very heavy” the exact same way in my head so that it’s kinda like a drone, and I slowly work my way up my body, naming each major body part as I get to it and going down each arm after I reach my upper back/shoulders before heading up my neck and around my face (jaw>nose>left ear>right ear>left eyelid>right eyelid) and finish up with a slow “I’m feeling very sleepy.” Usually I fall asleep as I’m working up my body, but when I’m having a particularly hard time sleeping I can usually get to sleep within 5 minutes of finishing this.

I normally smoke a blunt and hotbox my room and turn on family guy. I have really bad insomnia and melatonin and xans don't work anymore so I normally just try to get really mellow and try to sleep and then if I can't, I'll laugh at family guy :3

If you really have trouble sleeping, have good sleep hygeine (no screens before bed, have a nightime routine, etc), and have tried every OTC option I would honestly recommend getting a prescription for something if you can. I've had trouble sleeping since I was 12 and I only recently started taking 25mg of Trazodone every night, the difference it made in my sleep has been honestly amazing and I would encourage you all to not wait if it's something you might be interested in.

I used to often have trouble falling asleep, but once I started running/exercising during the day, I never really had that problem again. Keep in mind I don't have insomnia or anything.

Other than that, yt videos of people with silky smooth voices are pretty good at putting me to sleep, and I've used channels like kurzgesagt to help me sleep before. Music doesn't work for me, aside from very specific playlists/songs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)