What matters more: Great Skill or a Great Team?

You could've given a better example, such as, a team composing of Mothim, Cricketune, Luxray, Venomoth, Stantler and then Luvdisc

or something

You could've given a better example, such as, a team composing of Mothim, Cricketune, Luxray, Venomoth, Stantler and then Luvdisc

or something
No because all those pokemon are better than Luvdisc. He is the worst.

You can be the best player in the world, but If you use a team full of them you will lose.

Alright then...

So Mothim > Luvdisc, right?

Well, the 'best player in the world' with a team full of Luvdisc could beat the worst player in the world with a team full of Mothims...

I wasnt talking bout beating Mothims! and...

Ugh Nevermind. In short a team of Luvdisc will get beat by a team of say for example - Scizor. No matter who is in control of which team

faggot

Banned deucer.
Great Team hands down....A player with little to no skill can copy a successful team and get to 1550 on the ladder imo.

'Great team' should be translated to 'A 5* RMT' thread, in this topic's case >.>;

Great Skill/Average Team > Average Skill/Great Team, if only because the great skill user knows the way around his team's weaknesses, etc...

Also, why not a poll?

It is not Skill to know your way around your weaknesses, It is KNOWLEDGE

It is not Skill to know the answer to 2+2. It is KNOWLEDGE

It is not Skill to know Luvdisc is the greatest Pokemon of all time. IT IS DENIAL

It is not Skill to know your way around your weaknesses, It is KNOWLEDGE

Well, it's skill to be able to counter superior teams, by using a lesser team, and to do this, you need to know your weaknesses ;)

It is not Skill to know the answer to 2+2. It is KNOWLEDGE

What does this have to do with Mothim and/or Luvdisc

It is not Skill to know Luvdisc is the greatest Pokemon of all time. IT IS DENIAL

That's a matter of oppinion?

screw it im not stopping

If you get 10/ 10 for a maths test, you cant say your 'skilled' at Maths. You are Knowledgable at maths

If you oh I dont Know score a touchdown with your first touch of the ball in every single game you play, without being touched at all by the opponent and running from the other side of the feild, you can consider yourself to be skilled at football.

Pokemon is not about talent or skill. Sure you have to be somewhat smart to take in the information about EV's and IV's and all that stuff, but saying "Luvdisc is weak to electric Attacks! I better Switch!" does not make you skilled

You can have all the skill in the world and a team full of Luvdisc and you will still lose to someone who just started using a standard team.
This is not the kind of example we are talking about. Think more like a noob with very common OUs vs a legendary battler with UUs and one or two uncommon OUs.

This is not the kind of example we are talking about. Think more like a noob with very common OUs vs a legendary battler with UUs and one or two uncommon OUs.
This is exactly what I was trying to get at.

Pokemon is not about talent or skill. Sure you have to be somewhat smart to take in the information about EV's and IV's and all that stuff, but saying "Luvdisc is weak to electric Attacks! I better Switch!" does not make you skilled
But it sure does take skill to predict that an electric move is coming your way. Therefore, predicting that, you can switch to a more apt counter (electivire, for example). However, your opponent might be expecting you to think this, and will switch to a counter (to counter your lovedisc switch). So you keep Lovedisc in...

Predicting correctly is a game-deciding skill. Therefore, good prediction DOES make you a more skilled battler.

Where do Luvdisc and Mothim come in at?? The OP said an Average team with a great player. Not a great player with a shitty team.

I think the team matters the most, but only beats skill out by a small amount.

Great Team with an Average player vs a Great player with an average team = a tossup.

The Great Team has a slight advantage even thought the average player may not be able to us it to it's full potential. Kinda balancing it out, but not quite. It's like beating the legends like LR and such while they are testing teams. You are not better, just the matchup/team was better. Usually this is because maybe you snatched something from the RMT archive.

lol, why does everyone use luvdisc as their example...

Originally Posted by Fat Objection

-obviously, the legendary battler will win. UU's are underrated, in my opinion.

screw it im not stopping

If you get 10/ 10 for a maths test, you cant say your 'skilled' at Maths. You are Knowledgable at maths

If you oh I dont Know score a touchdown with your first touch of the ball in every single game you play, without being touched at all by the opponent and running from the other side of the feild, you can consider yourself to be skilled at football.

are you seriously using math as your example? math isn't about knowledge, history is about knowledge, math is one of the worst subjects you could have possibly picked for that example. And honestly if you think making decisions in a battle is just about knowledge then you're just hopelessly stupid. Everyone who spends a lot of time battling has a ton of knowledge about pokemon. What separates the best battlers from the average ones isn't that the top knows simply know more about pokemon, that's so ridiculous it makes me wonder if you even battle competitively.

to opokemon13: If you were talking about ubers I think you're right because team match up is so important there. If you're talking about any other tier than I think you're completely wrong. Seriously all you guys whove managed to get really high on the leaderboard before really underestimate how difficult it is for most people. It's not just a matter of stealing a team from the archives.

to phoenix wright: the reason that kind of prediction scenario doesn't take skill is because you have no idea what your opponent is going to do. Will they do the obvious move and use the electric attack, or will they attempt to outpredict you by countering your counter? No skill in the world other than esp could allow you to know the answer

screw it im not stopping

That's kind of a fail argument.
10/ 10 in a math test, your naturally skilled at math.
And prediction is skill, not knowledge, for instance, not all Gengar carry thunderbolt, but if they swicth into your suicune, (or rather, lovedisk) they probably do. So you switch to Jolteon, he use's thunderbolt,
Volt Absorb takes it in.

Skill. not knowledge.

The way I see it is that a players talent or skill could be considered their potential. A team is what allows a player to unlock their potential and use it in battle. The stronger play player would the person who unlocks his potential the best, not the person with the most potential.

My reasoning leads me to believe that a team is more important as it allows a player to realize their potential. Your skill only matters after you have a team that allows you to display it.

The way I see it is that a players talent or skill could be considered their potential. A team is what allows a player to unlock their potential and use it in battle. The stronger play player would the person who unlocks his potential the best, not the person with the most potential.

My reasoning leads me to believe that a team is more important as it allows a player to realize their potential. Your skill only matters after you have a team that allows you to display it.
I think teams have potential as well, and whether they fulfill that potential depends on the skill of the person using them

I've never heard it put this way before, but now that I think about it, I agree completely. The great Ubers players that I've played all have highly fine-tuned teams and customized sets. For example, Ike123 uses a bizarre MixDance Rayquaza as a lure/sweeper, and it works well on his team. Is it optimal? Probably not. Is it optimal for his team? Apparently.

On the downside, this means that my generic pure stall/hyperaggro teams will never get above ~1650 until I can figure out how to harness this skill...

I agree 100% with this

If I had to pick, skill matters more because ANYONE can copy + paste a great team and actually end up failing with it. The amount of battles I've had with copy + pasted RMT's and they don't have good prediction, knowledge on types, movesets or show any kind of stragety.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)