What were your favorite childhood shows?

I was looking through an bin full of my VHS tapes from when i was a little kid, and it got me thinking about the shows that I used to rush home from school to see, the shows that were a huge part of my childhood. I wanna know what shows were big parts of your childhood!

Man, my favorite shows were ones my mom hated. I loved Courage the cowardly dog, Billy and Mandy, Invader Zim, Pokemon (ofc :mehowth:), & Samurai Jack. I really liked The fairly odd parents, Teen Titans & Jimmy Neutron, but the werent as beloved as the others for me. uwu

So what about you guys?

ps did your parents think pokemon was devil worship stuff when you were a kid or was that just mine? :pikuh:

I liked a lot of TV shows as a kid but none of them were on the same level as ATLA. That is genuinely an amazing show and still holds up today (I actually appreciate it more as an adult).

Teen Titans was very good too but quite honestly nothing comes close to ATLA.

There was another show I remember liking as a kid on CN with really weird kids with odd shaped pointy CGI heads that would Jack in to this cyber world and fight enemies. I don't remember the name.

That sounds suspiciously like Code Lyoko.
Yup, that's it.

Last edited:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There was another show I remember liking as a kid on CN with really weird kids with odd shaped pointy CGI heads that would Jack in to this cyber world and fight enemies. I don't remember the name.
That sounds suspiciously like Code Lyoko.

I used to watch Clone Wars all the time younger, loved how it slowly got darker and more depressing. By the end I was like ohshit this is going down real fast.

Proud subscriber to r/prequelmemes

Teen Titans was very good too but quite honestly nothing comes close to ATLA.
Oh man! How could I forget about Avatar? I loved that show to death. I just recently saw a few episodes of Korra, & honestly I just wasnt able to get into it.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I liked a lot though most were there just to be there. We are talking mainly pokemon, yugioh, beyblades, duel masters, dragonball stuff.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly can't remember many great shows from my childhood but there are a few excephions. Let's get the most obvious one out of the way first:

It's been said time and time again that this is a great show. I really enjoyed it far more than any other shows, so I was surprised to see that, aside from the occasional toy-based Anime (like Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade, Bakugan etc.), very few shows went for the same form of storytelling as it. Everything had to be a comedic episodic show where almost no episodes had any relation to eachother.

Of course, that's not an inherently bad formula for a cartoon. Shows could easily make that work, like for example:

-Courage the cowardly dog
Looking back at it, I'm surprised I wasn't scarred by some of the seriously creepy stuff Courage showed in some of its episodes. I guess this show is responsible for me not being phased that much by traditional horror, it exposed me to so many creepy elements at such a young age that I couldn't even understand was meant to be absolutely horrifying. I'm guessing that for a while I've thought "if 8 year old me could watch this without being scared, then it's gonna take a lot more than some bloody abomination in a horror game to scare me!".

-Time Squad
I'm not very sure about how this show holds up. I have very fond memories of it, but I don't think it sired that much in my time. I only remember it airing st convenient times when I was like 6 years old, and only airing late at night when I was about 15. Last I saw of it, it was still pretty fun, even with the Norwegian dub.

-Bakugan Battle Brawlers
As a kid, I loved this show, it was fun seeing characters sort out their differences with ridiculus over-the-top incarnations of a childrens card+figure game. Looking back at it, it's sort of a guilty pleasure to me. I know it basically devolved to an advertisement of the card/figure game it was trying to sell and the battles eventually turned into a race to see who could spam the most cards to see how high of a number they could get, but there's something about the story that I can't quite put my finger on, that sort of makes it fun watching to me, even now as a 20-year-old man. Maybe it's just the nostalgia? I'm not sure, probably.

Other shows that I don't have as much to say about but still fondly remember: Xiaolin Showdown (thanks for reminding me about the name, Diophatine), Teen Titans, the Justice League cartoon, 90's Spider-Man cartoon and Samurai Jack.

Animated: Digimon, Pokemon, Spliced, Blinky bill, Teen Titans, American Dragon, Oggy and the cockroaches, Tom and Jerry

Non Animated: Mortified, Around the twist, The genie from down under, deadly 60

To Americans PLEASE try watching some episodes of around the twist that show is amazing and is in the collective conscious of every Australian

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Jenny the teenage robot, danny phantom, Dexter's lab, SpongeBob, Billy and Mandy, courage the cowardly dog, totally spies, Kim possible, Scooby Doo, kids next door, fairly odd parents, Jimmy neutron, teen titans

If they had cartoon Network games I played them

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(In no particular order) Dexter's Lab, Ed Edd n Eddy, Time Squad, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Scooby Doo, KND, Fairy Odd Parents, Xiaolin Showdown, Billy and Mandy, Teen Titans, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, among others I can't remember right now.

I didn't get to see many American cartoons as a child (or now, honestly), but I do have fond memories of watching Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan in my childhood.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh.
That's about it.
My mum did end up thinking that Pokemon was demonic, but that didn't occur until I was in my late teens.
She doesn't think it's demonic now.

Yeah dude, mine specificaly thought it was because she said Alakazam looks like the baphomet. She doesnt think so anymore. But lowkey he is.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Not really shocked at the lack of Johnny Bravo. I feel like the show didn't really achieve the fanfare it deserved.

Sure, it was mysoganistic and predictable but it had some pretty high brow moments, overall. The writers for this show were perfect and they poke tons of fun at the overly masculine males and the overly feminized women. They just rip common misconceptions apart and dig deep into the broad and damaging effects of stereotypes and the negative impact these stereotypes have on society. It's worth going back and watching again, for sure; at least.

Ereshkigal

Kur Kigal Irkalla !!!
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
my favorite shows back when i was a child were certainly code lyoko (damn that was soooo good), totally spies, martin mystery and street football.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
k can i take a moment to talk about The Big Knights

This excellent show, from Astley Baker Davies before they went on to produce Peppa Pig (you can tell by the animation style), only aired once on the BBC over the Christmas of 1999. No-one's ever heard of it, and I have no idea how I had the good fortune to not only catch it on that run but also remember it years later and chase it up, but I'm really glad I did. The two titular characters are voiced by David Rintoul (!) and Brian Blessed (!!!!), the theme music is epic, especially for a kid's show, and the comedy appeals to kids and adults alike and taught me a lot about irony in my formative years. There's a whole bunch of other episodes on YouTube - thank me later :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)