What would your life be like if smogon was never created?

Smogon has completely changed the direction of my life and I owe it far more than I will ever be able to repay

I was a lost soul back in 2005, almost a year before I actually signed up. I was going through a difficult transitory period of my life and felt more alone and unsupported than I ever have to this day

When you are depressed and completely lost things eventually reach a point where you truly feel like you have nothing and nowhere to turn to

And when that happens it is pretty natural that in your last gasps you will reach out to absolutely anyone that you think will hear you

I sincerely believe that some of the conversations that I had on irc-- conversations I held anonymously and with people who were strangers to me played a very big part in saving me from suicide

I slowly rebuilt myself and used smogon foremost as a means to occupy myself, making sure to read every post that was made every single day (to be fair the forums were a bit smaller back then). I loved firebot, I loved watching the inner circle of smogon interact, I loved the playful mockery and this group of friends that spent their time together on the internet

I never really joined in on things and was really skittish about getting involved but I have never drifted since then, and have kept the faith through the many things I have done (and will do) for the site

When you feel that a site like smogon has literally reached into your life and given you something, I don't think that's something you ever, ever forget

I have since had several very personal discussions and a handful of talks with others who I see crying out for help and with nowhere to turn to, sometimes about suicide, and it has really been all I can do to give them everything I can

Sometime last year nastyjungle was one such person, someone who placed in me an incredible amount of trust despite our not knowing each other very well, and when you feel someone like that reaching out and you've been given everything I have, you don't even think-- You just reach right back and pour in everything you can

and sometimes when you give, others are moved and things work out and you see the people and the forces in your life give right back

nastyjungle has in turn helped me get my own life in order and start seizing the reins with my own happiness, and it's something which I am very grateful for and indebted in turn

I am so very proud of you courtney (but you're still a bully)

smogon has given me life, a mission, and a best friend/hero/role model

I've had more meaningful experiences here than I would honestly care to count; saying my life wouldn't be the same without it is truly an understatement

so please don't take advantage of me for posting this, but I am most assuredly here until either the site dies or I do

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I would have probably continued to be the little shit I was in middle school, probably even locked up or doing nothing positive with my life. I discovered Smogon during that 3-day suspension I got from school and followed with a ticket I got for truancy and possession of Marijuana. I found Smogon browsing some IGN stuff, and eventually signed up. During that time Smogon literally kept me off the streets, keeping me away from bad influences, such as friends who are now somewhere I wouldn't want to be. Let's just say Smogon really "fixed" my views of how I was supposed to do things.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
I'll be stuck doing the ol' soft-reset-a-million-times to get a perfect IV spread for my poke, let alone all perfect IVs, ability, nature & shininess.

I take days off from comp. pokes every now and then and it is amazing so much time I have lol. It has tought me how to waste time like a pro.

I would'nt have met knowledgeable people like TheMantyke, JRank, and OmegaDonut (I'm guessing thats him the one with the horseshoe.) Oh, R Inanimate too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)