When did you stop watching The Simpsons?

do you think simspsons will ever get as dark as frank grimes ever again
man, i can't find the clip on youtube, but the way lenny introduces himself to frank grimes makes me laugh every time

'i'm lenny. this is carl and homer. i'm lenny.'

I stuck until about season 17-18 or so. I think there are plenty of good episodes up past season 13, but quickly falls off after that. New episodes are just painful to watch these days. I agree with whoever said that the Simpsons tried to copy family guy on too many occasions and really failed at it.

Nothing compares to Hank Scorpio.

I got into this show pretty late after long exposure to someone who was REALLY obsessed with it. I guess that was 2002, 2003ish? I was able to find enough showtimes that I rarely bothered to catch up to the new ones intentionally. I just figured I'd get to them eventually. This way I watched every episode up to Season 15 or something. I wouldn't say I stopped because of the decline, because that's not really true and it was more outside factors like getting to university and subsequently watching a lot less TV. However, there is a point in the series where I feel like I'm just watching out of habit.

I definitely agree with Tobes on basically everything. Lisa is the most obvious one for me. She is so intolerant of people she sees as being "wrong", it's as if the series knows that Lisa is a vegetarian but doesn't actually remember the episode where she became one. It's worse that themes like that are also being repeated over and over again, beating a herd of dead horses. I feel like the characters are mere caricatures of themselves now. They've forgotten everything that used to challenge them as legitimate characters before, for the sake of remaining familiar to viewers. Ned Flanders is especially weird because he periodically becomes tolerant and and almost liberal when an episode deems him important, only to snap right back into his mold.

The thing that really gets me, though, is exactly what Kinneas said. It's like the Krusty sketches, where Krusty would make an incoming gag painfully obvious before its execution, like putting a ming vase in front of a door and making a big deal out of it. They're doing that with the show as a whole now. Obviously it's not as blatant as the Krusty sketches but it's there.

obligatory clip I guess

[youtube]1zOuxdRMJME[/youtube]

(gdi it got blocked... but ykwim)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was never into The Simpsons in the first place; I always found it to be extremely stupid. Never been a big fan of shows of its type.

I started watching it in the year 2000 - after Futurama had started airing here. In that year I caught up on the first eight seasons and some of season nine, and starting seeing new episodes regularly from 2001/2002 til sometimes in 2004/2005. It would have been season thirteen or fourteen that was airing at the time. In addition to episodes from seasons 1-8 being on repeat almost every night, I know the episodes rather well at the time from The Simpsons episode guide seasons 1-8 (a gift from my parents). It was a good show, however, I got tired of it. I moved onto Family Guy and South Park (in moderation) and found something fresh in those (but I have not seen much of either in the last two years).

I did see The Simpsons movie in 2007, which was okay, and I have caught a few newer episodes over the years but aside from one exceptional Sideshow Bob episode I can't say I would take up the show again as it is now. I am inclined to agree with the sentiments that Seasons 1-9 saw the writing at its best, if only because the more recent episodes I have seen feel far too didactic for the show I grew up with.

I don't think I've ever caught a brand new episode of the Simpsons. My exposure was mostly limited to reruns they'd play on basic Canadian cable which mostly covered the first nine or ten seasons by the time I stopped watching out of convenience. There was a huge gap between the time I stopped paying attention and when I started noticing the new episodes. The change in tone was jarring, and the occasional laugh wasn't worth the time invested in random stories about characters I now found alien.

Maybe nostalgia is up to its old tricks, making things I liked as a kid seem relatively better...but, I've yet to get tired of revisiting the older Simpsons episodes, while my ninja turtles season 1 dvd just collects dust.

Skinner had the best delivery.

I don't remember when I stopped regularly watching, around the time I was 14? So about eight years ago. Not because I thought it wasn't funny, just cause... Life. I never have the time to prioritize a show so catching it when it airs is a 50/50 thing. I've seen newer episodes and I don't think they're unfunny per say, just that maybe I (and some other people) outgrew that brand of comedy. But the episodes with celebrities really suck.

But the episodes with celebrities really suck.
All of my this. I saw an episode with Lady Gaga a month or two ago because I had nothing else to do one Sunday night, and it was one of the worst pieces of garbage I've ever seen. It was like they were taking a shit on part of my childhood.

All of my this. I saw an episode with Lady Gaga a month or two ago because I had nothing else to do one Sunday night, and it was one of the worst pieces of garbage I've ever seen. It was like they were taking a shit on part of my childhood.
I dunno, I liked some of these episodes.

Though I agree that the new episodes with celebrities have been horribly done and have taken the Simpsons well out of their element.

Yes, that Lady Gaga episode was rubbbish. I stopped watching the Simpsons around Season...17/18 I think it was. The next season after the brilliant movie. My favourite episode has to be that 24 spoof... I can't remember what it was called. 42 minutes? Something like that.

Still watching it, but the only one I've really hated in recent memory was that one where Marge and Homer met Flanders and Maude as young couples...that and pretty much any one that shits on the previously established timeline and keeps adjusting it upward.

I didn't care for the Gaga episode either, then again I don't really like Lady Gaga aside from a couple of songs anyways, so eh. Otherwise I agree any older episode is a lot better than the current offerings. As for my favorite, hands down the one with Hank Scorpio, that episode was just so damn funny and he had to be the best one-shot character in the series' existence.

I've never really stopped watching it, I just never care enough to remember when it is on. I'll watch it whenever I see it on TV though flipping through channels. Also, the longest running American television "scripted" series is WWE Monday Night Raw.

Just going to point out that The Simpsons has had celebrity guest appearances all throughout its lifetime. Good guest appearances... or at least good episodes.

also this one isn't blocked I swear

[youtube]ogaJ0CygjnI[/youtube]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)