[WIFI] The Goods

Inspired by the movie of the same name, this team is composed of standard sets that have been proven time and time again. While it is certainly unoriginal, it gets the job done. There are no gimmicks or surprises here; just awesomeness and consistency.
This team is intended for WIFI, so disregard Tyranitar and Rotom-A, because of Weather clause and the fact that the formes aren't allowed on Platinum WIFI.
Please try to use constructive criticism; if you think something sucks tell me why!
Alright, lets get on with the team.

Overview:

In-Depth:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Nature: Naive
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
~Taunt
~Stealth Rock
~Fire Blast
~Explosion

Azelf's role is primarily to set up the Stealth Rock that chips away at my opponents and makes it easier to KO them. Taunt is useful for slower leads such as Roserade, Swampert, and Bronzong. Fire Blast is a more reliable attack than Psychic in my opinion, and Explosion is used once its job is done to wipe out bulky leads or to assault the switch-in. This lead is truly hit-or-miss for me; Taunt is a bit of a tricky move, because many leads expect it and will fire off an attack, breaking Azelf's sash and wasting its turn. Additionally, Aerodactyl seems to have become extremely popular lately, and it is something that Azelf can't do much against. At other times, it plays beautifully, preventing special moves, setting up rocks, and then destroying at least one Pokemon before fainting. Overall, though, I'd have to say that I'm not entirely happy with it as my lead; I am considering trying out Scarfed Jirachi, due to it being a bit bulkier and being able to cut my opponent's momentum with Trick while maintaining my own with U-Turn.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/156 Special Attack/216 Speed
~Hydro Pump
~Thunderbolt
~Rapid Spin
~Recover

Starmie's role is to use Rapid Spin to clear out the Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes that my team hates. Hydro Pump is a bit less accurate than surf, but deals much more damage against Ghost-type switch ins than Surf. Thunderbolt is useful for killing off weakned Gyarados and delivering neutral hits to Salamence, neither of which can OHKO due to Starmie's bulk. Recover allows it to stay alive longer so that it is able to Rapid Spin when my opponent's ghosts are gone.
Overall, I believe that Starmie is the most expendable member of the team. I've got Azelf to taunt, and with all the ghosts running around, it's hard to Rapid Spin early in the game. By the time I've dealt with the ghosts, there's almost no point spinning away the rocks, because it is at those stages of the game where a more agressive style of play becomes crucial.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Attack/8 Speed
~Bullet Punch
~Pursuit
~Superpower
~U-Turn

Scizor helps to pick off frailer foes such as Latias and Gengar, but U-turn is my move of choice early on in the game, especially when I don't know if my opponent has a Gyarados that could set up on the switch or a Magnezone that could trap and demolish Scizor. I'm very happy with the CB Set; Swords Dance is a bit too slow for my playing style. I'm open to trying the SD set if somebody can give me a valid reason why, but CB U-Turn is pretty tasty.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Attack/96 Defense/184 Speed
~Taunt
~Dragon Dance
~Waterfall
~Bounce

Gyarados is probably the most dangerous member of this team. It's able to Dragon Dance against Scizor and the like, Taunt expected Roars or Thunder Waves, Dragon Dance a second time as they switch out again, and use its powerful STAB Waterfall and Bounce to eliminate 2-3 enemies.
Why Bounce? It's actually an amazing move, despite its shaky accuracy. It's got a high base power, complimented by STAB, a 30% paralysis rate, and give free Leftovers recover, as well as protection from random Explosions. While Flying may not be the best in terms of type coverage, I've never really had problems with it; It deals Neutral damage to many Pokemon in OU such as Scizor, Latias, Salamence, etc. It's super-effective against Infernape, Machamp, Celebi, and Breloom, who can't Sub to protect itself after Taunt. Gyarados is definitely the star of the show.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
~Draco Meteor
~Thunderbolt
~Surf
~Trick

Scarf Latias gives me a revenge killer to take on Gyarados and Salamence, and its Trick is great against things like Suicune, and Blissey. Draco Meteor hits hard and the defense drop isn't too detrimental due to its hit and run nature. Thunderbolt is for said Gyarados, and Surf defeats Heatran. I'm considering using Hidden Power Fire here, because Scizor is a common switch in to Draco Meteor, and wrecks with Pursuit. I'm not sure if I should take out Surf or Trick for it. Heatran isn't all that common, and Gyarados can take its hits fairly well (After a DD, it can outspeed Scarfed versions with Bounce to dodge the explosion) and Surf doesn't hit much else that Draco Meteor wouldn't. Trick, on the other hand, is a bit difficult to use, and it might be more consistent just to use another attack.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Attack/252 Special Attack/194 Speed
~Close Combat
~Fire Blast
~Hidden Power (Ice)
~Grass Knot​

Infernape's amazing coverage and wall breaking ability have been extremely useful for me. He's definitely not much of a sweeper, because a lot of things can force him to switch; still, if I predict correctly, he can score a few KOs, and with a base speed over 100, it's capable of mowing through teams that have lost their Scarfers and Latias and such. I really love him on paper, but there have also been a few times when he's been useless; it's hard to switch him in due to his frailty, and sadly enough, Grass Knot rarely seems to be able to OHKO things like Swampert. Not really sure if I should bother with Infernape, or take it out for something a bit sturdier like Heatran.

Well, that's my team. I hope that I can get some advice to help with it because while I've gotten pretty decent at predicting and whatnot, I'm a pretty junk team builder (Hence why it's so standard) and so it would be great to have some experienced members give me some tips.

Borrowed from this thread.

Threat List
------------------------------------------------------------------

• Green means they are not a problem for me.
  • Orange means they can cause a bit of trouble.
  • Red means they are very difficult to take down.
Offensive Threats
Aerodactyl :
When leading, Aerodactyl is a bit of a problem. Azelf will Fire Blast on Turn 1 in anticipation of Taunt.
If Azelf is Taunted on the first turn, I switch to Scizor to U-Turn as it Stealth Rocks (Bullet Punch would KO, but I'd be wary of a switch to DDDos or Magnezone or something.)
Azelf :
Since two Azelf leads will Speed tie, this comes down to luck. I'll usually Stealth Rock on turn 1 and then Fire Blast to see if it's running Psychic or Flamethrower. If Psychic, switch to Scizor and Bullet Punch, since most expect Pursuit or U-Turn and Explode to severely wound Scizor.
Breloom :
I'll usually let something get put to sleep (Azelf or Infernape) and then switch to Gyarados to Taunt it.
Empoleon :
Latias can TBolt or Trick, Gyarados can Taunt to prevent it from using repeated Subs after Agility.
Gengar :
Usually I'll send in Scizor and try to Bullet Punch. On a protect, I switch out to Latias to take the HP Fire.
Gyarados :
Not a problem thanks to Starmie and Latias.
Heatran :
Starmie can take its hits fairly easily and threaten with Surf. Latias also outspeeds Scarfed versions. Gyarados can deal with it (barring a lucky Burn) by using Bounce as it comes in and Explodes.
Infernape :
Starmie, Latias, Gyarados.
Jirachi :
Infernape shrugs off Iron Heads and doesn't take too much from unStabbed punches. Fire Blast scares it away.
Jolteon :
This can be difficult, as it can score super effective damage to most of team, and outspeeds everything except Latias and Gyarados after two dances. Usually I'll try to be conservative with electric attacks so that I can hit it on a mispredicted switch in, or try to take it out with Latias.
Kingdra :
Latias can trick it or nail it with Draco Meteor. Starmie's Thunderbolt wears it down, while shrugging off Waterfall. Scizor resists Outrage and can deal a ton of damage with U-Turn.
Latias :
If it isn't scarfed, I can kill it with my own Latias. If it is, I can switch Scizor in and U-Turn out.
Lucario :
It can be deadly if it gets a Swords Dance in, since I don't have any ghosts to take Extreme Speed and Close Combat. Gyarados is my first switch in to drop its attack a bit and try to get a few Waterfalls in before finishing it off with Scizor.
Machamp :
Machamp is very annoying. With No Guard, I can't dodge Dynamic Punch during Bounce, which can make this guy a bitch to take out. I pretty much just have to wear him out or revenge him with Bullet Punch.
Magnezone:
Magnezone is a hater. Scizor occasionally gets lucky and U-Turns out on the switch, but more often then that it comes in on Bullet Punch. If it's scarfed, I can switch accordingly to either Infernape (If it used HP Fire) or Latias (If it used Thunderbolt) but overall this guy is pretty hard to deal with. If it isn't scarfed, on the other hand, I can pretty easily take it out with Infernape.
Metagross :
Scizor's U-turn hurts it pretty badly, and non-Agility variants can't do much to Infernape.
Porygon-Z :
It's got good coverage, but they're usually scarfed, so I can switch Scizor in on Tri Attack or Ice Beam and U-turn for the kill.
Salamence :
Scizor can come in on Outrage and Bullet Punch it, and Gyarados can weaken its attack (Although Mixed variants are becoming more and more common) Latias can revenge it with Draco Meteor if it hits Scizor with Fire Blast or Gyarados with Draco Meteor.
Scizor :
Gyarados and Starmie do a great job of eating Bullet Punch and I can switch my own Scizor in and attack with U-Turn. Not too scared of this guy.
Starmie :
This can be problematic as it outspeeds even Infernape and Gyarados after 1 DD (Defensive variants aren't OHKOd by Bounce, anyway) usually my only choice is to sacrifice something and then revenge it with Latias.

Defensive Threat List:

Blissey :

Bronzong :

Celebi :

Cresselia :

Donphan :

Forretress :

Gliscor :

Hippowdon :

Skarmory :

Snorlax :

Suicune
:

Swampert :

Tentacruel :

Vaporeon :

Zapdos :

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)