Work Experience

So this year we have to complete a mandatory 5 day work experience as part of our year 10 course. I still am yet to figure out what I should do, so I decided to ask you guys and girls:

Where did you do (or going to do) your high-school work experience, and was it an enjoyable experience?

I really need some feedback and ideas; hopefully in an area that utilizes my interest in arts (photography mainly) and technology. I'm also in Australia so that may be kinda difficult...

Well, nothing left to do but to start posting.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No work experience. We have to volunteering instead. Sigh, 3 hours every week. I did a few summer camps, cancer society, food banks, the usual.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I did a week at Computer for Schools. One of the worst jobs I've ever had to do. They got new students every week from all over the lower mainland and we were basically slaves. Cleaned, repackaged, and shipped computers that offices donated because they were too old and sent them to elementary and secondary schools for re-use. It wasn't enjoyable at all and like I said, they just swapped away for new students every week as cheap labour.

My second work term was at a place called Rock Computers. Great staff. Learned how to put together a computer there and helped troubleshoot for customers. The supervisor really knew his stuff. During off-times I just played with my DS. Good week.

I was supposed to complete a third but my school couldn't find me anything so I used my experience with robotics instead.

I really need some feedback and ideas; hopefully in an area that utilizes my interest in arts (photography mainly) and technology. I'm also in Australia so that may be kinda difficult...
a lot of people in my class are also interested in this sort of work and managed to get themselves into designing studios or something like that. one of my friends got put into an IT company for the week (though he was the first person the company accepted for work experience ever). since i live in the middle of nowhere and am mainly interested in jobs to do with science, i got put into retail. fun.

don't expect to go in and do a great deal, you're mainly there to assist workers and observe, especially since you're only in year 10 and if you're aiming for something in technology. the aforementioned friend who was put into the IT company told me most of the jobs he did involved getting coffee and sealing envelopes. you do get much more involved in the latter part of the week though.

but yeah if anything do not go into retail, it kills your legs and is very unsatisfying. the most i learned was how to build fans and where target keeps their beanbags.

yeah I'm in year 10 too but our school doesn't do work experience afaik, maybe coronis does

I'd go for something where you do actual work instead of office errands, but I don't have any examples...so yeah

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Do not apply to work in an office. You will make tea/coffee and file for 5 days.

Do apply for something that interests you.

Do apply for something relevant to your ambitions.

Find a local photographer and ask to shadow his/her work (follow them around basically). Send formal letters, articulate what interests you about their work, and be professional; there will always be someone willing to give you insight into their work.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
I did mine at a pharmacy last year it was pretty ok. although i mostly enjoyed it because there was a great restaurant near by and the area is pretty awesome. i reckon you might get asked to do boring stuff if you go to somewhere that does technology or photo stuff though, like filing or greeting customers ~_~

edit: if you go to a big well known clothes shop or something, they'll likely give you free stuff at the end or loads of discount on clothes, i got given tons of cosmetics stuff like colognes etc. from my work experience x.x

I worked at a school for a week being a classroom assistant.

Use your work experience to test a job or career that you are interested in, but still slightly unsure about. Back then I was thinking of becoming a teacher. If I hadn't found that it was a pain in the neck, and just how many teachers are unhappy with their jobs I might have become one. That could have just been the school I went to though. Don't let me put you off.

Oh, and don't do anything stupid in your coffee breaks. I had hell explaining why I'd developed a really bad limp. (I was playing on the kid's see-saw and got my leg jammed in it)

I went to a biological interactive centre for mine. Was quite a lot of fun as the interactive stuff I had access to when I had breaks.

I did mine in a fruit shop, mainly because i was interested in part time work there.
Grouse people there and a pretty enjoyable experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)