World Cup of 1v1 - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing is preventing people from asking Quote to host unofficial tours of their own. It's not like the two team tours we have each year are the only moments 1v1 OMs are allowed to shine, it's just that nobody (staff and community alike) is putting forth the effort to act upon their desires.
I did ask Quote to host a 1v1OM tour and he denied me. He said that he doesn't want to focus on them yet. (it wasn't even that long ago). I even had an open discord discussion where I proposed the idea.
I'm still up to host one if he changed idea

I did ask Quote to host a 1v1OM tour and he denied me. He said that he doesn't want to focus on them yet. (it wasn't even that long ago). I even had an open discord discussion where I proposed the idea.
Still waiting for the promised Type Challenge tour zzzz.
EDIT: I’m not hosting in case that wasn’t clear.

Confirmed, I talked to deg and he said: "Won't happen this generation. The goal of tournaments is to develop the metagame, and there's no reason to develop gen71v1 OMs anymore"

Hi. African representative here. As I have been advocating since the first edition of the WC, I would wish to have our region included too.
I don't mean any disrespect here, but I think you can join with Europe or Asia for the time being, till such a time when Africa has a playerbase which can fill all required slots for WCo1v1...

~Atti

I don't mean any disrespect here, but I think you can join with Europe or Asia for the time being, till such a time when Africa has a playerbase which can fill all required slots for WCo1v1...

~Atti
Hi Atti, hope you're doing good. I agree in principle, but provided that the team is not monopolised.

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi. African representative here. As I have been advocating since the first edition of the WC, I would wish to have our region included too.
Hi african representative here, Kaif here. Africa does not have any sort of playerbase to allow for an individual team, to my knowledge it was merged with South Europe last year. (Thx dom for not making me look like a clown)
I agree in principle, but provided that the team is not monopolised.
I have no fucking idea what u mean here but I think its stupid

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Ok so I was looking into the US divisions and I would like to make a change to the map for reasons I'll explain below.
The map isn't really drawn with any discernible purpose? Central has an absurdly large area that doesn't seem to match anything as most players are on the eastern edge of it anyways.

So I decided to redraw the map the main reason I grouped regions as I did was to keep time zones together without disrupting the starting lineups from last years WC which was absurdly easy to do.

East is made entirely of states with a predominantly Eastern Time Zone. Central is predominantly Central Time Zone. West is Pacific and Mountain Time Zone.
Notable Reasons for why this map looks as it does. Kentucky and Tennessee both have a time zone change in the middle of it. However, Tennessee's major cities, Nashville and Memphis, are located in Central Time Zone, while Kentucky's major cities, Louisville and Lexington, are located in Eastern Time Zone, which is why those two states are grouped accordingly.

Player impacts.
UberLandon21, MaceMaster, Dazel, Megazard, Catalystic, Ferno, and Fertile Crescent would still all qualify for central under the new map.

BSU and Ryy would still have qualified for central under the new map last year and won't this year because they moved, but would their region would also have changed regardless using either map. (Assuming they do want to change regions).

I'm unsure of where Quantum Tesseract lives.

Ayedan and Whammerist would not have qualified for US Central last year using this map and haven't moved.

So all in all, changing this map has very little impact on old US Central players as all the starting players would still have been in central. For this year however, there is a bit of a difference. I don't believe US West gains any new players that didn't play last year that would have other qualified for Central. However, US East does gain Indiana players, including JustRav and Ayedan (assuming he switches from being a Sub on central last year).

So why is the potential US East captain making a new map to buff the Silver Medal East team?
Well it's simple really, East literally has practically no returning players.

Old Lineup
Starters: Akaxi (pqs) GreenSemicircle jfehrman2005 (James155) Osra Betathunder The Dark Alakazam Magma jrm115
Subs: Kaori TGC United (Theheheh) Ransei ZaphodBebblebrox

Pqs, James, and Magma are the only potentially returning starters, and TGC United is the only potentially returning Sub.
And then of the people who didn't play last year are Me (who didn't intend on playing), pazzaa, and Cash. So we have what, 6 players? 4 if you only count people who played competitively in a tour recently. I think we need the buff and central isn't really hurt by the nerf.

In summary, I am biased for getting a more competitive US East considering our team last year has been mostly gutted. However, in the process I do think I have made a more cohesive map based on regional time zones that doesn't really hurt the other two regions.

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Back to back posts because I would also like to address an annoying issue regarding eligibility of players based on regions that I know is affecting at least a handful of our players this year.

So according to the opening post, we'll be switching over to WCOP's eligibility requirements. Which is bad because those rules are dumb and bad.

If a player participated in WCOP 2018, they will be locked onto their team from the previous year, barring the following exceptions:
-If the team they most recently played for no longer exists, they will be treated as a player eligible for a new team (see below).
-If a player's region has changed since last WCOP, they may choose to instead play for the region currently associated with their forum IPs. This is a one-time choice; doing so forfeits their previous eligibility. They will not be able to be grandfathered back onto their previous team in the future, and even if they return to their old region in the future, this eligibility will remain forfeited.

So these rules are just painful and backwards. For some reason it places more importance on what team you've most recently played on rather than where your physical location. In other words, WC "regions" aren't representative of physical regions but rather on ones where players had once lived. And the fact that you only get 1 switch means you're more likely to try to stay in a team where your friends are rather than the one you'd be more eligible for. It also doesn't account for growing regions very well. New regions cannot include older players even though their new region may be more accurate. This is pretty important for 1v1 especially because we have a habit of merging regions that are low on players. Overall these rules just don't account for people moving, like at all. The one time switch is extremely restrictive of where you're going to be playing.

All players are default placed into the region currently associated with their forum IPs.
If a player participated in the previous WCo1v1 and would like to play for that region again, they may be grandfathered into that team again. If they choose not to be grandfathered and play for a new team, they cannot be grandfathered into that old region in WCo1v1s unless they move to that region.

Changes/benefits with these set of rules:
This allows for a more accurate sense of where players actually live with the change of time because moving moves their region.
This allows for new regions to grow without restricting a player-base that has been locked into a different region.

Examples of old vs new rules:
A player lives in one region and doesn't change from one year to the next - Both rules place that player in the region they currently reside in

A player lives in one region and moves to a different region the next year - the old system would force that player to either choose to leave permanently into the region they currently reside or remain in the region they don't live in indefinitely. The new system would place the player in the region they currently reside in unless they choose to remain they don't live in

A player lives in one region that didn't have a team the previous year but has one now - the old system would force that player to permanently change over to their region where they currently reside or remain in the region they were once merged to indefinitely. The new system would place that player in to their new region or they could choose to play in the region where they don't live in

A player who previously moved and changed regions, moves again to a new region - the old system would force that player to stay in the region they were once in but never in the one they currently in. The new system would place that player in the region they currently reside unless they choose to remain with their old team.

A player who previously moved and changed regions to a merged region but the region now has a team - the old system would force that player to remain in the region they were once merged to forever. The new system would place that player in the region they currently reside unless they choose to remain with their old team.

Overall this allows for more regions to accurately represent where players live when they move or when regions form.

This is important, because, for the most part, we are all aged 16-22, a time period well known for most people with moving, for college early careers etc. Restricting us to certain regions where we don't belong to anymore isn't really representative of where we live. New regions will likely be added in the future. Including notable regions like US South, Canada, Oceania, any European Country that isn't currently a team.

pazza

Banned deucer.
CHIEF! THAT'S A DOUBLE GOOD MEME :blobnom::blobnom::blobnom::blobnom: CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE EARNED MORE MEME SENPAI POINTS  :blobuwu::blobuwu::blobuwu: YOU CAN REEDEEM YOUR SENPAI POINTS >///< OR KEEP EM  :swole::swole::swole: SO YOU CAN SHOWOFF TO THE GAMER GIRLS. 3 SENPAI POINTS WILL EARN YOU GAMER GIRL BATHWATER :blobpex::blobpex:KEEP UP THE GOOD OWO-RK:blobnom::blobnom:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)