World Cup of 1v1 III - Administrative Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: DPP 1v1

It has been brought up to me by xJoelituh and reaffirmed by Luigi that ties in DPP actually occur ingame whenever both Pokemon faint at the same time; this includes when a Pokemon knocks out the opponent but then faints due to recoil, Perish Song, Explosion/Self-Destruct, Destiny Bond, etc. Despite this, Pokemon Showdown was initially not built to give ties whenever battles end, so battles are presented as if they were wins or losses, which is factually incorrect from how cartridge handles it. Upon being asked for how main tournaments handle this, Luigi stated that ties are used (which means neither player gains a point towards winning the series), meaning that DPP should be treated more as a "first to X" format, as opposed to a "best of X" format.

With this understanding, we shall be using the main banlist for DPP 1v1 as presented in 1v1 Old Gens thread. While ties do not impact the outcome of the series, I still encourage players to upload replays of them, for the sake of our tournament usage stats.

Tagging all the DPP players so that they can be familiar with the new ruling: Dj Breloominati♬ alive Yami ThatCabbageGuy TogliBabineBoeuf xJoelituh Synonimous Wanonymous1616

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: Ghosting
This series had an awful amount of borderline ghosting, and is not alone in the fact that many series have had a considerable amount of set speculation or "ironic" move suggestions.

I would like to remind everyone that ghosting is a serious offense in smogon tournaments, in accordance with smogon's own tournament guidelines. I highly advise that you all give the ghosting section a read, and follow these simple guidelines in managing your behavior in the future:
Code:
Requesting that a teammate do a calculation for you to save time: Allowed
Doing a calculation that was requested by the player: Allowed.
Linking the player a RMT of the team they are facing: Allowed.
Linking the player a public replay where their opponent uses the same team they are facing: Allowed.
Pointing out that their timer is low: Allowed.
Asking about a mechanic: Allowed.
Answering an objective question about mechanics: Allowed.

Doing any calculation that was not requested by the player: Not Allowed.
Speculation of any kind, such as (this Landorus has to be scarf): Not Allowed.
Linking the player a private replay where their opponent uses the same team they are facing: Not Allowed.
Linking the player a private importable where their opponent uses the same team they are facing: Not Allowed.
Suggesting moves of any kind: Extremely Not Allowed.
If I find or am given reports of any more instances of the kind of ghosting seen in this series, and in many prior games, there will be punishments.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: pasy_g and DezShizzels

A report has come in that shows strong evidence incriminating Central Europe team members involved in ghosting 187 Fan at the same time at which he was playing his series against AltCauseImInsecure, with him very plainly being able to see the discord chat, and even responding to link the next battle in the series.
After consulting Tour Director Luigi and 1v1 Forum Moderator Quote on the matter, I have come to the conclusion that pasy_g and DezShizzels shall be banned from further participation in the tournament. They will also be banned from participating in any subsequent 1v1 tournament on Smogon for 5 months.

Central Europe Captains ggopw and Iron Crusher will pick out another 2 players from the player signups who signed up for Central Europe to replace them, as well as subbing someone in for pasy_g as soon as possible. Ferno and Whaleeeee will need to be notified of the new sub over pasy_g as soon as possible.

I would also like to give a clarification on a ruling not made abundantly clear by Smogon's tournament guidelines: if you are aware that ghosting is going on and do nothing to stop it, ie you don't report it to me or proactively discipline/reprimand your fellow team members for ghosting, then you will be held complicit. I'm letting everyone else who was present while the ghosting was occurring in this instance off free because of this lacking clarity in the guidelines, but let this post stand as your warning that if this happens again, complicit users will also be punished.

Edit: Luigi has clarified that the section I crossed out only applies to team managers, rather than everyone, or even fellow team members.

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: pazza and general chat ghosting

In this game of Jamez155's and Quote's SM 1v1 Bo7 series, pazza said "just go chomper" when there was a Garchomp present. Knowing pazza's history for shitposting, this instance was likely yet another shitpost, however, it is still definitively ghosting nonetheless, serious or not, especially with the consideration that pazza was well aware of the fact that this was against the rules. As such, pazza will be banned from further participation in the tournament, as well as any other 1v1 tournament held on smogon for the next 5 months. ayedan and Alakazam may pick out another user who signed up for US East from the player signups to replace him.

That said, there was also another instance of ghosting in another match of this series by the user Syemander, however, because Syemander has no affiliation with the World Cup of 1v1, or even smogon, there is not much that can be done about it.

With these cases, I bring an advisory to all remaining players to modchat games, especially when linked in public rooms, in the interest of not having any more chat ghosting instances.

Edit: After taking into consideration the feedback of others, as well as the circumstances of this case in comparison to the Dez/pasy_g case, I have decided that pazza's 1v1 tourban will be reduced to the minimum 3 months, thus allowing him to participate in the upcoming 1v1 Classic and Winter Seasonal.

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: Voice calls during games and team leaking

Regarding voice calls, there's been a recent case where users Kaif and stableprince569 were in a call whilst playing their series, in addition to multiple other participants. Normally, this would be considered a very severe case of ghosting, as defined by the tournament guidelines, however, upon receiving testimony from everyone involved, including the neutral party spectators, there doesn't seem to have been any ghosting at all, in addition to lacking awareness of the rules from both players, so for this case I have decided it's best to just leave Kaif and stableprince569, among every other player, with a warning to never join a call while playing your tournament series. If this happens again, I will be bringing down full punishment.

Regarding team leaking, I have been receiving many questions as to the detailed rulings of linking players to teams mid-series as a timesaver, and have asked Luigi for clarification, to which he states that it is fine to link players to public teams and replays, however, it is absolutely not fine to direct players to private teams (ie, those posted in your WC team's private team dump), as those are not publicly visible to everyone.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: pazza and Scraftionite

pazza and Scraftionite have been seen making clear speculations of sets while in the battle chats of other people's World Cup games, which violates the ghosting policy that has been laid out in previous posts here. In pazza's case, he stated "he's scarf, bet" in this game of BW 1v1, while in Scraftionite's case, he stated "reveal magnet rise" in this game of USUM 1v1.

pazza shall have his 1v1 tournament ban extended by another three months. Scraftionite will be tournament banned for three months, though he will not be removed from the World Cup, because I believe his instance of speculation to be less influential to the given matchup of Donphan vs Metagross than either of pazza's offenses.

At this point, I'd suggest all players begin modchatting their games from now on, since 1v1 spectators seem to lack enough self control to not blurt out suggestions, meme and otherwise.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: ThatCabbageGuy

In this game of blondesasukeuchiha's series vs plant based, ThatCabbageGuy (on his Showdown account Cabbbages) stated not to bring chomper while a Garchomp was present. Despite clarification in the room chat after the fact, that doesn't excuse the uttering of the words. Even meme ghosting is still ghosting, if the ghosting involved is actually impactful to the game at hand.

Upon digging around through smogon to see what quantifies the differing levels of ghosting and what their corresponding levels of punishment should be, I have found that there is little distinction between outright suggesting a play vs pointing out which play not to make, and as such, ThatCabbageGuy shall be removed from the World Cup of 1v1 and tournament banned* from participation in further 1v1 forum tournaments for 3 months.

Freddy Kyogre and Chickenpie2 will need to pick out a new player from the player signups to replace ThatCabbageGuy, as well as sub someone in his place for the DPP 1v1 slot ASAP.

*Regarding the now rigid definition of tournament bans from the 1v1 forum, tournament banned users will no longer be permitted to participate in any 1v1 forum tournament, official and otherwise. Signups for 1v1 tours from 1v1 tournament banned users are to be ignored by hosts. I understand that I initially did not uphold this before having laid out what being 1v1 tourbanned even means; I made up the punishment on the spot without understanding the full mechanics of how tournament bans work, for which I apologize, but now I shall uphold what a real tournament ban would be like to the best of my ability, including the addition of any other tourban mechanics that I may not have been aware of, even now.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: pazza

Pazza can be seen in this battle pretending to be 187 Fan's Finals opponent, betathunder.

Impersonating: Impersonating someone in a tournament game will get you Tournament Banned for 1 year, letting someone impersonate you in a tournament game will get both involved parties Tournament banned for 1 year.
As stated by the tournament guidelines, pazza shall be banned from participation in 1v1 tournaments for a full year. Additionally, on account of his consistent hindrance of tournament progress, he shall also be banned from the 1v1 Tournaments Discord.

With this case comes an advisory:

Identity: Pretending to be another player in relation to a tournament battle is strictly prohibited. Do not try to impersonate or play as another player. You may request that your opponent log on to their main account to confirm that they are who they claim they are, and they must comply.
As stated above, if you are ever uncertain as to the identity of your opponent (ie they're using an alt that you may not be familiar with), you can request that they change back to their main account.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Re: The Administrative Decision Process

After doing some consideration as to what warrants punishment as opposed to a simple warning, I decided that I should rethink some of the prior punishments I have given out. I have received a lot of consultation and criticism regarding my decisions, and have come to a few new conclusions:

Scraftionite's tourban, ThatCabbageGuy's tourban, and pazza's first and second tourbans will all be lifted; as all of their cases are not exactly the most egregious, going by smogon's standards of ghosting.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience I've caused to these players and their teams as a result of my rushed decisions and strive to better my decision making, especially with consideration to the lacking enforcement of and adjustment to anti-ghosting policies 1v1 tournaments have had up until now.

That said, while these bans are being lifted, this does not excuse ghosting of any sort. It's easy to believe that all of the cases mentioned above were done accidentally. Because of this, I believe a direct warning would be more fitting than going straight to tourbans. That said, this doesn't mean everyone gets a "free ghosting pass", either; users who are well aware of the rules and break them anyways won't be fortunate enough to receive a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)