World Cup of 1v1 IV - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
1v1 World Cup IV
1v1wc.png

Art by AmirAlexander

While the next iteration of World Cup isn't here yet, the 1v1 Tournament Director team felt it best to make this earlier so that we can have a direct line of contact with the community that doesn't end up getting as cluttered as it would when being discussed through Discord. There are many points of interest that need to be discussed with regards to how the format of the tournament should be laid out, but the biggest one that almost all the others stem from is this:

• Team sizes. There were multiple teams last World Cup that were particularly low on 1v1 players, or even outright had to draft people who were new to 1v1, as you can see in this list of signups made into a pastebin for convenience: https://pastebin.com/raw/XJnGcNeU (people who signed up for multiple regions will be listed in each region). In particular, Asia, Canada + Oceania, Central Europe, and US Central all struggle with regards to previous players coming back this year and/or outright meeting the player minimum in general.
To see if this would be an issue for the pending WC IV, I've prepared a census that will help paint a clearer picture as to what the teams should be looking like and whether or not major changes need to be made.

Because this data is incredibly pertinent to almost every other matter involving the World Cup, I ask that you refrain from discussing matters involving team distribution until all the pertinent data has been gathered. In the meantime, feel free to discuss tiers:
Code:
SS BO7
SS BO5
SS BO5
SS BO5
SM BO5
SM BO5
ORAS BO5
ORAS BO5
BW BO5
DPP BO5
ADV BO5
Presently, these are all the plausible tiers that could be included in the World Cup, with the most expendable slots, in my opinion, being the 4th SS BO5, the 2nd ORAS BO5, and ADV BO5, for an 8 slot tournament. Alternatively, if we go for a 10 slot tournament, we could squeeze more in; thoughts on 8 slots vs 10?

Last edited by a moderator:
10 slots would be by far the preferred number of slots in my opinion as it not only helps mitigate the drop in possible participation from interested parties due to a fewer number of teams but also allows for more variety to be expressed in the tour, especially with additional old gens slots allowing for more creativity in those tiers, and with the new addition of ADV allowing for that tier to flourish and for its metagame to develop.

Also I feel it's worth noting that it might make sense in the situation where there are 10 slots for either the second ORAS slot or the ADV slot to be replaced with either 2v2 or a third SM slot, as SM has a very large playerbase that can afford to accommodate a third slot while the 2v2 community has been requesting representation in team tours for a decently long time now, and that community has been thriving as of late with good activity.

Last edited:
8 players would keep the quality higher

adv is an unviable tier that should never be played outside of classic

2 oras slots seems senseless since its not the previous gen anymore

4 ss slots is too much, you see how hard it is to make consistent teams for even 3 slots this pl

ssbo7
ssbo5 x2
smbo5x2
oras
bw
dpp

would have the same format as pl which i guess might be undesirable but its probably the optimal option to please the playerbase

1v1 World Cup IV
[art pending]​

While the next iteration of World Cup isn't here yet, the 1v1 Tournament Director team felt it best to make this earlier so that we can have a direct line of contact with the community that doesn't end up getting as cluttered as it would when being discussed through Discord. There are many points of interest that need to be discussed with regards to how the format of the tournament should be laid out, but the biggest one that almost all the others stem from is this:

• Team sizes. There were multiple teams last World Cup that were particularly low on 1v1 players, or even outright had to draft people who were new to 1v1, as you can see in this list of signups made into a pastebin for convenience: https://pastebin.com/raw/XJnGcNeU (people who signed up for multiple regions will be listed in each region). In particular, Asia, Canada + Oceania, Central Europe, and US Central all struggle with regards to previous players coming back this year and/or outright meeting the player minimum in general.
To see if this would be an issue for the pending WC IV, I've prepared a census that will help paint a clearer picture as to what the teams should be looking like and whether or not major changes need to be made.

Because this data is incredibly pertinent to almost every other matter involving the World Cup, I ask that you refrain from discussing matters involving team distribution until all the pertinent data has been gathered. In the meantime, feel free to discuss tiers:
Code:
SS BO7
SS BO5
SS BO5
SS BO5
SM BO5
SM BO5
ORAS BO5
ORAS BO5
BW BO5
DPP BO5
ADV BO5
Presently, these are all the plausible tiers that could be included in the World Cup, with the most expendable slots, in my opinion, being the 4th SS BO5, the 2nd ORAS BO5, and ADV BO5, for an 8 slot tournament. Alternatively, if we go for a 10 slot tournament, we could squeeze more in; thoughts on 8 slots vs 10?
Well you listed 11...but if we're being honest here it only depends on who the captains are. They decide the line-ups and who makes the team before sign-ups. So if you manage East and have good sm but bad bw, you're gonna ask for more sm and no bw.

Yes we've had a lot more people interested in 1v1, but they are not as experienced as previous users who have left once swsh came. name value for this is a huge deal, and whoever are captains is a huge deal. for ex. dom was on the team last year for west and refused to play with me, so I didnt even get to be on the team.

But if you wanted to do 10 slots just do Bo7 swsh, 2 Bo5 swsh, 2 Bo5 sm, 2 Bo5 oras, Bo5 bw, Bo5 dpp, Bo5 adv
you get 3 of current gen, 4 of the popular gens, and 3 of the older gens

SolarflareRo

Banned deucer.
8>10 gang also we may be more popular than last year but that dosent matter when all the new players are quite bad and the only argument that can be made for why we should have 10 slots that is kinda good is that 10 slots allow some new players to play but i dont think wcup is the tour for that

4 slots for ss is silly and 8 sounds way better than 10, I'm not sure if some regions even have 10 good players. I haven't played adv and I really don't think anyone else has either also from what I've heard it's bad. I think this sounds fine:
SS Bo7
SS Bo5 x2
SM Bo5 x2
ORAS Bo5
BW Bo5
DPP Bo5
but I could really see dropping BW or DPP for 2v2/a another SM/ORAS

Sorry to sound like a broken record here, but you know this had to happen

Considering the talk for 10 slots, I feel that it would not be fair to consider 2v2 Doubles for the 10th slot over ADV or an extra slot of the most recent current gen locks. 2v2 Doubles, although not strictly 1v1 as every 1v1 submeta that has been in this forum, has a base of players that will play it in an organized team tour. This isn’t the 2v2 Doubles we were denying putting in PL. 2v2 Doubles has a subroom, a significant means of playing the tier, testing and understanding its framework. It also has its individual circuit that not only shows its interest, but refutes one of the major arguments against it; the concept of not having people that would play it, unlike the situation that was 2019 PL. On the topic of a situation like 2019 PL, ADV has no major development in the slightest when it comes to resources, no consistent base, and such a metagame would not fare well in a team tour, just like what happened to 2v2 back then. On the topic of an extra current gen lock, there's already been significant opposition to the idea of 6 SS, 3 SM, or 2 ORAS.

With this in mind, I Implore you to give 2v2 Doubles a chance at being a world cup slot.

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
I request that 2v2 Doubles is put in as a format on the base that
  • It's the 1v1 of doubles
  • It's more popular than DPP and ADV 1v1
  • It's been a format in 1v1 tournaments before
  • It needs the exposure
  • It's a nice variety / spicing things up
  • It brings in new people
  • You can use 1v1 teams and succeed

I request that 2v2 Doubles is put in as a format on the base that
  • It's the 1v1 of doubles
  • It's more popular than DPP and ADV 1v1
  • It's been a format in 1v1 tournaments before
  • It needs the exposure
  • It's a nice variety / spicing things up
  • It brings in new people
  • You can use 1v1 teams and succeed
We should still have it tho, SS sucks lol and even though I love it ADV isn't developed enough and doesn't have the resources.

Reactions: pqs
We should still have it tho, SS sucks lol and even though I love it ADV isn't developed enough and doesn't have the resources.
DLC. Also dont all Gen 8 metas suck in their own ways?

Also, on the topic of 8 slots, there was early talk around removing DPP in favor for an extra SS slot
Not that I want that, but it's something to mention.

8 slots seems nice, but if 10 I would rather see adding a ss spot and maybe adding sm/oras, adv isn’t big enough to be in wc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)