Finals World Cup of Pokemon XI - Finals [Won by Team USA East]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
grats east, disappointing way to end it but I do think this has been one of the coolest WCOPs to watch. Greece's upsets, the 4 tiebreakers in the playoffs, the mad last minute rush to make the playoffs. One day Canada will be the champs!

Lavos

Banned deucer.
congrats east. your consistency makes us all want to work harder. better luck next time, germany.

west loses to the winner again, classic.

Well, this tournament was definitely an interesting one. After losing SPL due to people turning into down syndrome retards, I told myself that team tournaments weren't worth it. I was also a lot more hesitant to play in this tournament especially, since most of Asia was leaving and I would be left with very few friends on the team. However, then the TDs decided to implement the new IP lock, and the ability to rejoin my old team became a possibility. I originally left this team a couple of years ago because I didn't think I was going to start, and that was something really important to me. However, times have changed, and I didn't really care about that this tournament; this is also why I chose to manage in SPL instead of play. I had friends on East, and not to mention, they were obviously one of the favorites to win this year. Because of this, I decided to join East along with my fellow Asian Zamrock, the one Mongolian on planet Earth who thinks Mongolia's most famous man was named Ganggaskan.

Round 1 was interesting, and obviously proved to be more challenging than was initially thought for our team. However, I never really thought we were in danger of missing playoffs, since our team was the strongest one in my opinion and still had some breathing room left. We definitely did not play particularly well in ORAS, however, and our matchups were difficult at times. Luckily for us, RBY GOD METABEAST was here to save the team's playoff aspirations, as I somehow managed to win in RBY vs. FAFUS and help us inch closer to a playoff spot. Nevertheless, we still needed to do something to address our ORAS OU problems once we got into the playoffs, and eventually I was put into ORAS OU for the Semifinals. I really didn't play OU that much at all before this tournament, and wasn't even aware that Volcanion had Water Absorb as an ability until like the 1st week of the tournament. However, I had faith in TDK, and decided to use one of his teams vs reiku. The Scald / Steam Eruption god was not on my side, however, and I got crushed. After some amazing clutch miracles that I'll detail later on, we somehow managed to make finals.

After starting 7-0 in team tournament playoff games, I had now lost my last two, including one to xray last year. Because of this, I decided to make my own team for this round, as I had won every team tournament playoff game before that using my teams. I decided that I wanted to use HO because I mainly used balance for the entirety of XY and ORAS in every tier, so I figured that xray was more likely to prepare for that style. TDK I believe (or maybe it was FV, idr) pointed out that Breloom and Gengar seemed really threatening to xray's usual builds, so I decided to build an HO team around that. Tesung offered to help me, and that was when the creativity began overflowing.

[23:13:17] <prop_jake> gengar breloom
[23:13:25] <prop_jake> dis adv: kind of slow and weak to lots
[23:13:30] <prop_jake> adv: threatening to balance, sleeps
[23:13:48] <prop_jake> what kind of mega do we want
[23:14:24] <Sylvia> uh...
[23:14:46] <Sylvia> diancie?
[23:14:47] <Sylvia> lol
[23:15:09] <prop_jake> LO
[23:15:12] <prop_jake> this building process
[23:15:13] <Sylvia> ?
[23:15:18] <prop_jake> why diancie
[23:15:21] <Sylvia> LOL
[23:15:23] <Sylvia> cuz its like
[23:15:25] <Sylvia> one of the best ones
[23:15:26] <Sylvia> LOOL
[23:15:27] <prop_jake> LOL
[23:15:28] <Sylvia> resists fire.
[23:15:31] <Sylvia> dark.
[23:15:34] <Sylvia> its fast.
[23:15:35] <prop_jake> lemme look at viability rankings
[23:15:36] <prop_jake> idk those
[23:15:37] <Sylvia> can bounce hazards.
[23:15:39] <Sylvia> diancies like
[23:15:43] <Sylvia> the highest one

After a 15-minute discussion in which Pokemon were chosen in the manner described above, we managed to make a team. We both tested this team a lot against other people on the team, and needless to say, it performed relatively well in most of the games. However, it looked so bad on paper that pretty much the entire team was against it; even my niggas Omfuga and blunder didn't like it. However, Tesung and I had faith; I always manage to somehow get winnable matchups with bad teams in these tournaments. Once again, my wish was granted, and I managed to beat xray. I was relatively satisfied with my 2-1 record, and thought that I had a solid tournament, especially if we won the trophy. However, as fate would have it, my team had enough faith in me to let me play Conflict in a GSC tiebreak, which I found really surprising and encouraging at the same time. BKC and IFM helped me decide what to use, but I finally settled on using that super-known Marowak team upon IFM's suggestion. I figured that Conflict would bring a more defensive team to counter what I normally used, so I thought that this team would work very well. Needless to say, the matchup was definitely in my favor; unfortunately, I could not fully capitalize due to some poor plays, and the hax gods had to bail me out of yet another jam. I didn't really want to win that way...but hey, we won World Cup, so I'm not going to complain. Anyway, with that out of the way, time for individual shoutouts!!!

Thx to Omfuga for always rooting for me dash space.

Helpers: Thanks to jirachee for helping in BW and DPP, and also for giving me teams for Classic Playoffs obviously, haha. Thanks to my nigga blunder too for helping my team claim a trophy in yet another team tournament, call it SPL 6 Classiest all over again loool. You'll get one soon bro, dw. Shoutouts roscoe for hanging out in the channel as well and helping make fun of BKC's draft among other things lool. Thanks to old teammates like Peachy, Lamppost, and badass for randomly showing up at times as well!

Big thanks to uragg too for doing a shit ton of analytics and things of that nature to help scout teams. That was definitely helpful bro. gl in dfs btw i'm sure you'll optimize your program and win a lot soon :]

The Team:

Stone_Cold: You were obviously pretty busy this year, but np bro we still won LOL Thx for letting me on the team again, hope you're satisfied with the results haha. You carried us enough in the earlier years anyway :]

yondie: You somehow managed to be even less active than Dave, which is an amazing feat LOL Regardless, thx for coming on occasionally to talk about baseball dash. enjoy the trophy bro gl irl.

august: Went 2-1 in Round 1 and helped us get into the playoffs, so that definitely helped. You didn't play particularly well vs. ToF or Phil, but it happens bro. You're still a great player and I'm glad I got to be on a team with you again, haha. ik you wanted to play in the finals, but at least we didn't let you down haha. enjoy the trophy bro.

BKC: My lord. You did so much for old gens like LOL I really don't know how you haven't been that successful as an SPL manager, because your old gens knowledge is only surpassed by Smogon Classic winners like me rofl. Nah real talk though, you pretty much helped a shit ton in every single Old Gen, and the fact that we were like 12-3 in R1 in Old Gens and is just a testament to how good you are. We all had absolute faith that you would win in the tiebreak in DPP, even after you lost vs. Colchonero due to a pretty unfortunate matchup. Unfortunately, the hax gods seem to hate you, as the way you lost to both M Dragon and Fakes was heartbreaking. I'm sure you would have crushed bluri if you were able to play today, but np bro, me and bro fist got you the trophy anyway :] Hope your irl situation gets better bro, stay crushing ppl in old gens in the mean time haha. Thanks for helping with RBY teams vs. FAFUS and also for the GSC help as well :]

bro fist: Clutch god. Holy. You played pretty well in like every game you played this season, only needing luck due to some pretty sub-par matchups. Real talk, you better have fucking beat reiku after all of the niggas on this team managed to piss me off by not letting Tesung tiebreak LOOOL nah real talk though, you're a great player for sure and you played ridiculously well in the three must-win games you had to play this season vs. Trosko, reiku, and today vs xray. The game today was especially nice, as you pretty much made the game unwinnable for him (without some major luck) after your great plays in the beginning. You definitely helped give me confidence for sure, since obviously me beating Conflict wasn't very likely. However, I thought that we definitely had this tiebreak on lock due to how good you and BKC are. Maybe one day, you'll be good enough to gameplan with a stall team haha. Was fun talking basketball with you too. GJ clutching during my game, we did it bro :]

dragonuser: my nigga. prob the maddest I've been about a game I was involved in a Smogon tournament was still the game a couple years ago where you fucking dodged Play Rough and beat me after I outplayed the fuck out of you OMFG THE PSYCHIC ON THE MANEC SWITCH WAS THE BEST PLAY IVE MADE IN MY LIFE OMG!!! REGARDLESS LOL it was cool of u to randomly decide to come back. your matchups were relatively difficult and it sucks that it didnt work out but dw bro we won anyway haha considering how little you played the game over the past year+, you definitely showed that you can be a really good player again if you ever decide to come back to this site.

FlamingVictini: honestly, I had no idea how good you were when the season started. Nails, stath, and pdc had said that you were a really helpful teammate aka a tryhard, so I thought that having you on the team would definitely be useful. However, you definitely surprised me with your playing ability, as you managed to get us two clutch wins vs. K-12 and then vs Cosine in the finals. The fact that you somehow had the balls to bring a fucking SubCM Cobalion to an elimination game and then proceeded to beat a full stall team with it is absolutely ludicrous LOL

[16:50:25] <&FlamingVictini> ik you guys are gonna hate me if i lose with cobalion
[16:50:33] <&FlamingVictini> so i wont lose

never fucking forget bros omg. I still don't know how the fuck you beat full stall with a Cobalion but LOL gj bro im still blown away honestly. You're definitely a really solid player and you definitely proved yourself in this tournament. Thanks for helping with other people's teams as well obviously. Continue crushing ppl my nigga haha.

idiotfrommars: This man was out here with shit Wi-Fi in random ass Spanish towns on his phone playing playoff games LOL like the fucking dedication my god. I really don't know how you did it man. You managed to somehow force a tie vs. Colchonero in the 1st tiebreak game while playing GSC on a fucking phone like jesus I can barely stall that long on a computer like even playing my game vs. Conflict today was annoying as hell. And then to beat him in the next game and propel us to the finals just shows how good of a player you are. dw about losing to Conflict bro, you clutched so hard in semis, on a phone w bad wifi after being tired as fuck too nonetheless, that we'll forgive u haha. glad the hax gods let me avenge u i suppose xD Thanks a lot for helping me in GSC as well after the team voted me to tiebreak. That team had a really solid matchup, and I definitely couldn't have won without your help in tests and the like.

Jayde: I honestly hadn't watched you play a game in fucking eons so I had no idea how good you were. But you definitely showed that you're a really good player in this tournament. You played really well vs. SoulWind, and I don't even think you misplayed once in the tournament in general tbh. Your matchup in finals vs. bluri was pretty unfortunate, and I don't really think you could have won that without having his importable. You definitely showed that you're a really good BW player and you definitely clutched when we needed you in semis. Glad you were able to play in this tour :] Was fun talking basketball too obv.

Nails: My old RU friend :] glad I could team with you again bro, was fun bop. ik you helped Tobes and we did in fact go 5-1 in RBY in this tournament, so good job bro. I really had no idea you played RBY at all until this tour began, but you definitely have a shit ton of knowledge. I did win in Classic Playoffs with your stall team too. nice work fam dash

PDC: this man rly went 0-4 what a joke LOOOL nah jk bro we all have our off tournaments...jk i dont im fucking jesus christ some1 fucking stop me. anyway, mortals like u have off tournaments, and i'm sure you'll rebound in SPL. You're definitely a really consistent player when you're playing well, and I have no doubt that you'll go at least 6-3 in SPL the team tour god is never wrong bro. Thx for staying around and helping out, you definitely know the metagame. have faith and keep playing, you'll crush next tour dw.

Stathakis: Lol I remember you were really inactive in the beginning of the tournament and it got to the point where we were gonna sub you out if u didnt come on by the time ifm's game started LOL good thing we didnt since you won in the finals haha. You managed to end the series vs. West and somehow pulled off that win vs. Quaggster god knows how LOL I know you got lucky but still that matchup was so aids holy. You're definitely a good player and have been around for ages so was nice being on a team with you since you weren't on East last time I was here.

TDK: You put in so much work for this tournament like really my god. In between your 8 billion Overwatch games, you managed to build like over 1000 teams or some ludicrous number. Even if your record wasn't great, you were ridiculously important to our team's success, and you did manage to help brofist get pretty good matchups vs. Trosko, reiku, and xray. You obviously hated the team I brought to the finals vs xray but hey, who didnt LOL at least i won bop. Thanks a lot for building for everyone, and for me in semis and for Classic obv. We did in fact go 5-1 in ORAS in the finals so gj bro.

Tesung: So, we finally ended up being teammates in an official tournament. I still think you were the best player on this team and I would still pick you to tiebreak over anyone; you've obviously shown that your ceiling in this game is ridiculously high. You managed to go 4-1 in ADV, in addition to blowing away Valentine in your lone game of ORAS OU despite having a bad matchup (granted, Val played like an autistic retard). Your finals game vs. jira was insane, and I still have no idea how you came back to win that honestly lmao. You just somehow manage to get the crucial plays right when you need to, and that's all that matters really. Thanks for helping me build in finals too LOL so glad that team won we would have been killed if i lost dude LOL too bad you were gone so I couldn't argue for you to play in tiebreak again SIGH! Well, enjoy your 3rd trophy bro I'm sure you'll definitely be the 1st to 4 soon if you keep playing.

Tobes: I remember Anti wanted to buy you for SPL, but I didn't want to spend that much on RBY. So instead of having you, I was able to witness the legend of Agammemnon, memories that I would not trade for anything. ANYWAY, you're definitely good at this tier, and managed to get us wins in both the quarterfinals and the semifinals. Luck was obviously not on your side in the finals, but dw, we carried you anyway. Too bad we couldn't finish undefeated in RBY for the tournament after my amazing performance in R1, but that's the way the game goes sometimes bro haha. enjoy your trophy for another year fam :]

Zamrock: my nigga. LOOOL. we've come a long way since anti snaked me and tried to buy chimpact over you in the SPL auction, thank god for soulgazer LOL You're definitely a really good teammate, and your tryhard ways benefit whatever team you're on. I'm glad you finally managed to get a trophy and end the Zamrock curse. If we lost I was definitely blaming u if I'm being real rofl. Sucks that you didn't really get to play, but dw your time will come eventually. You got a trophy out of it so u cant rly complain anyway bop. Anyway, as always it's fun talking to you, and thanks for testing with me the very small amount of times I actually ask for them. #Oreimo4Life

All in all, this was a very enjoyable tournament. The playoffs were ridiculously nerve-wracking, and I thought our season was over on multiple occasions. Cobalion vs. full stall. Cloyster dying early in both of the GSC tiebreak games. BKC missing Fire Blast in both the Semis and the Finals. BKC telling bro fist he probably couldn't play the tiebreak. Starmie getting Mean Looked. All of those moments among many others made me extremely nervous, but at the end of the day, we were able to achieve. This team is ridiculously resilient, and I'm definitely glad we were able to achieve despite all of these adversities. Thanks for letting me on the team again, putting up with me pissing off the entirety of Greece, letting me start, and then having enough confidence in me to let me play a tiebreaker in GSC vs. Conflict. East Plot Armor really is entertaining, and it definitely made this tournament extremely enjoyable.

TEAM TOURNAMENT GOD METABEAST WINS AGAIN. CLASSIC.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Going to do some ramblings over my thoughts of the Semi-Finals and Finals as well as praise a couple of people on East. These aren't exactly shout outs as much as acknowledgment for players on my team and on other teams as well.

To begin, would love to just thank my team for having me a board for this roller coaster of a tournament. I contribute almost nothing outside of trying to help BKC and Bro Fist who to start in the qualifiers and I just want to express how thankful I am for you guys not staging some sort of protest to get me off the team as capt. You all always embrace me and although i'm hard headed, it's fun to watch you all evolve. As you all know by now, my time has been soaked up w/ a child and girlfriend and getting any free time outside of 2am was near impossible. I appreciate every single one of you and hope that you guys let me be a part of the tradition as long as East exists. This could have been the last year but if it's not, maybe my activity towards next year will be a bit better.

Okay, so now here we go.

East vs Spain

Holy shit. M Dragon bro, you guys came ready for this match up. I am sure after last year, you guys wanted to win badly, but furthermore put up a close series and you did exactly that. After our start, you managed to route your team to even up the score and eventually get your team into a 5-5 situation. My respect for you guys grew rapidly bringing it back like that. Reiku continues to be an up and comer who needs to compete more on the individual level. You are still as clutch and automatic as usual M Dragon being an almost automatic win on your team. To have someone like that is such an asset. You, Soulwind, Reiku, and Malekith have so many more years left in you. Keep the tradition going. This was what the finals should have been last year honestly. Was such a pleasure and you guys became the first team to take us to tiebreak since Oceania in 2012.

East vs Germany

Was an emotional series all around. In terms of luck, East outweighed Germany who probably should have won the games if Pokemon was determined on a "skill" or "fairness scale" . Tempers definitely flared on both sides. Cosine said some hurtful stuff to me :( :(. But trust me when I say, I know how you feel. Anyone on the 2012 East roster knows how you feel. It's about how you determine to come back that defines you. That's what makes a team truly special and I do believe that you have such young and integral pieces on your team that you guys could be a powerhouse for years to come. It's only the beginning. Conflict , you had a performance for the ages man and truly furthered your own legacy on the site. xray and cosine180 , you both showed why you are considered top ORAS players. You guys are only scratching the surface.

In Pokemon, the better player doesn't always win. ShakeItUp continues to prove that to everyone. But, cherish the fact that even if you did not win, you along with US East just put on what was possibly one of the closest and greatest WCoP finals in the history of the tournament. The sky is the limit for your team. You have veteran presence in all of the right areas as well the young pieces to make you something truly special.

Team East

(Okay I lied, some shoutouts)
Well guys, those who know me know that I wouldn't ever dare compare us to the 2009-2011 Oceania. They went three years without dropping a game and were truly one of the first great amazing teams in World Cup. I can't say much on Asia because WCoP's 1-3 was such a different format and such a different game back then. However, I will say this, I do believe that as a team, we are as close as ever to Oceania. We have made the finals for half of a decade. That is a fucking feat in itself. And we have finally tied their win total.

Tesung after declining your chance to join us last year, you were basically forced on the team and I am pretty sure you had the time of your life. Your personality is similar to mine in your care free attitude. You just wanna outplay people and style on these hood rats. You know how to have fun and don't get stressed out. You were a pleasure and a powerhouse on this team. Hope to see you around

BKC You were pretty much the only guy I interacted with this entire WCoP due to my insane time schedule and the fact that no one else would ever play and test with me! Thanks for all you do. You had a mediocre record, but your invaluable and surely you know that. Keep playing that Christian Metal with the Breadsticks.

bro fist Brother fist. This was your tournament. People will look at Conflicts incredible and inspiring performance, but you managed to go 6-1 as well as 3-0 in match play and 2-0 in tiebreakers. You were the best player on the team this tournament in my eyes. Good job being a leader and veteran presence on the team. You're awesome. :)

-Tsunami- LOL. Bop. -

FlamingVictini Great Rookie season from you. You've come a long way form me bopping you on the PokeBattle ladder. You've become an intelligent player and use some really cool shit. Look forward to your individual performances before long. I bet you wouldn't of guessed that the guy you met on the PB Ladder would one day be sharing a trophy with you!

idiotfrommars HODOR. Good performance as always :) I know you wanted to play in the finals but strategically, I told BKC that starting Shake gives that surprise factor that East may need. I wouldn't ever doubt your skills though. :) You're the best and i'm glad you've been on the wild journey with me for so long. You definitely that that tenure on East now!

Tobes Keeping it real as usual. The RBY Boss

Nails We wouldn't of gotten this far w/ out u :)

Stathakis Came in clutch and never gave up. That's the east way. I'm sure you'll be ecstatic to see we won. We couldn't of done it without you.

TDK You take this shit way too seriously. Along with BKC. But that's the kinda attitude the team needs sometimes. I was once that way too! Keep leading East. You're a lot better than your record indicates and you never let a loss shake you up. You're an amazing teammate and an amazing player.

PDC Chin up. Rough tournaments happen. Pick it back up next year. You got this.

Jayde I'm glad you got to start. And watching you get bodied by Bluri was fucking hilarious. You had a good tournament man and i'm glad you came back and i'm glad you asked me to play. You're awesome and I hope you're back next year :)

Zamrock True team player. Sorry you didn't play much but I am sure you had a fun tournament and were glad to be a part of this awesome group. You gotta work on your greetings still, say hey to niggas when they enter. I know ur ass is always awake. And work on dat music taste too. You're a project but you're also what East is all about. Selfless and we couldnt' of gotten this far without you. Glad to get you a trophy

dragonuser Well, rough tournament for you but we got you a trophy anyway. LGI

august I love you. KoalaCorp LGI. I'm sorry you never got to play in finals. You definitely woulda hit that fire blast. Hope you return next year and thanks for all your contributions. You're a good dude. :)

yondie You managed to be more potato than me this yr. It's great isn't it? Not doing shit and coming home to a trophy. Lmao.

Badass Wasn't the same without you. Hope to see you next year. :)

Go East! Thank's for the awesome World Cup guys and thanks to Germany and Spain for such amazing matches. See you all next year!
Appreciate the love to the 09-11 OCN squads I was part of, very classy touch and I wouldn't expect anything less from one of my favourite people on the site.

Congrats to East, you guys are easily the benchmark and have been for awhile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)