"Worst Pokémon Ever"

Just saying, this is all my opinion. If you have a problem with my opinions, then do not reply at all. Thank you.

One of my least favorites is Exeggcute. It's just...eggs. Not even eggs, it's a bunch of seeds with faces that look like eggs. I really don't get how people can bash Vanillite and subsequently defeat Exeggcute, when Vanillite is a fucking adorable little cone made of ice and snow. Vanillish and Vanilluxe are hilarious to see, I personally never considered them bad at all, especially not in comparison to how awful Exeggcute looks, in my opinion. Vanillite at least has inspiration. Exeggcute's just horribly bland and boring.
I do like Exeggutor, however, as much as it scared me as a kid in the one episode where it hypnotized Ash... Urgh.

Time for another comparison: I really can't see how people would bash Klang and love Magneton at the same time. Magneton is literally three Magnemite stuck together. At least Klang gives the impression of it building up from Klink. Sure, it gets more gears, but I find that to be more original than tacking three individuals of one Pokémon species together and call that a Pokémon. That's not to say I dislike either: both are pretty cool and Magneton's dancing motion in Gens I-IV with the screws just cracks me up every single time.

Thirdly; Muk, Weezing and Garbodor have to be seen as some sort of triangle of pollution. Trust me, it works out perfectly: Muk is water pollution, Weezing is air pollution and Garbodor is land pollution or even a slightI hint at nuclear radiation and alteration. It's the bigger picture that counts in this triangle, all three together. Honestly, feel free to shoot me, but Trubbish is still kind of cute, as are Grimer and especially Koffing. These three could work really well as a team in the PMD series.

A design I'm really not happy with is Mega Absol. We all knew Absol as a sharp, sleek killing beast; it's a prophet of doom, which its design complements. However, I really don't think Mega Absol conveys the same message, instead sharply catering to the fanbase and making it look like a sparklething rather than keep the elements of it being a prophet of disaster. Instead of looking sharp and sleek, it suddenly looks round, fluffy and benign. Its signature element, its scythe, is actually smaller and the goddamn wing-like fur was WAY too much for me to take it seriously. Yes, sure, fallen angels, but I feel like it seriously clashes with Absol's mythos. Worst Mega Evolution design by far, IMO.

A design I'm really not happy with is Mega Absol. We all knew Absol as a sharp, sleek killing beast; it's a prophet of doom, which its design complements. However, I really don't think Mega Absol conveys the same message, instead sharply catering to the fanbase and making it look like a sparklething rather than keep the elements of it being a prophet of disaster. Instead of looking sharp and sleek, it suddenly looks round, fluffy and benign. Its signature element, its scythe, is actually smaller and the goddamn wing-like fur was WAY too much for me to take it seriously. Yes, sure, fallen angels, but I feel like it seriously clashes with Absol's mythos. Worst Mega Evolution design by far, IMO.
I personally feel it's somewhat symbolic of the whole 'bond' thing - the trainer recognizes that Absol isn't a prophet of doom and their friendship or whatever gets through and allows Absol to become pure or whatever. I dunno, something like that. I always put the trainer and Pokémon's bond into consideration when thinking of designs and other attributes of Mega Evolution.

Category: Use, I guess...

This is the Pokemon I despise worse than Luvdisc. I personally don't feel like each Wormadam is worse than Luvdisc competitive-wise, but the thing is they all suck. They ALL suck. What I mean by that is Gamefreak had three chances to make one Pokemon useful and they failed, either unintentionally or purposefully. They went through all the trouble of giving one Pokemon three forms and they are all extremely sub-par.

As I mentioned, it's not the worse Pokemon competitively, but its existence reeks of wasted time that could have been used to give better designs or sensible stats/abilities to other Pokemon. I'm not even sure if that's even a process in the Lab over at Pokemon studios, but goodness, you give me three choices and none of them do anything for me. Unlike tossing Eevee an evolutionary stone, not once did I ever make a life decision on which Wormadam I want to have.

"Hmm I think Wormadam-Sandy will be a better fit in my party" - said no one ever.

Not even the highest of contrarian Pokemon fans who like to use Farfetch'd and have a love for Luvdisc and Bidoof want to touch this thing. This is seriously one of like three Pokemon I always forget to list on those Pokemon quizzes, which may be a reason for my disdain, but now I remember it ALL the time because it's like a cold sore on the entire Franchise. I really feel like Wormadam is the symbolic culmination of all the weird and stupid things Gamefreak has done over the years, which I'm happy to see less and less of. If I keep going on with the stats and design though I'll go on forever.

I personally feel it's somewhat symbolic of the whole 'bond' thing - the trainer recognizes that Absol isn't a prophet of doom and their friendship or whatever gets through and allows Absol to become pure or whatever. I dunno, something like that. I always put the trainer and Pokémon's bond into consideration when thinking of designs and other attributes of Mega Evolution.
You've brought up a good point, but there were so many other ways to expand on Absol's concept for Mega Absol. I just really feel like the design caters a bit too much to the fanbase. What I'd personally have done was give it long fur on its back that droops down that makes it look more mysterious. That's just me.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Time for another comparison: I really can't see how people would bash Klang and love Magneton at the same time. Magneton is literally three Magnemite stuck together. At least Klang gives the impression of it building up from Klink. Sure, it gets more gears, but I find that to be more original than tacking three individuals of one Pokémon species together and call that a Pokémon. That's not to say I dislike either: both are pretty cool and Magneton's dancing motion in Gens I-IV with the screws just cracks me up every single time.
I think you can compare this one with a witty pun in some sort of way. The first time, it's absolutely hilarious, but if you repeat it a couple of days later to the same audience, nobody will like it as much as the first time. This is the exact same thing. Create a mechanics-related evolutionary line where the second stage is multiple specimens of the first stage fused together? Clever. Repeat the EXACT SAME PRINCIPLE a couple of generations later? Awfully uninspired.

(At least, that's how I see it, ofc your opinion is fine as well :) )

I think you can compare this one with a witty pun in some sort of way. The first time, it's absolutely hilarious, but if you repeat it a couple of days later to the same audience, nobody will like it as much as the first time. This is the exact same thing. Create a mechanics-related evolutionary line where the second stage is multiple specimens of the first stage fused together? Clever. Repeat the EXACT SAME PRINCIPLE a couple of generations later? Awfully uninspired.

(At least, that's how I see it, ofc you're completely entitled to your own opinion :) )
Except Klang isn't multiple Klink fused together. It's basically a structure-in-progress that is built up more and more as it evolves, so it's a different concept. Besides, the Beldum line did a far better job combining units to form a stronger entity than Magnemite and Magneton could ever hope to do.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Except Klang isn't multiple Klink fused together. It's basically a structure-in-progress that is built up more and more as it evolves, so it's a different concept. Besides, the Beldum line did a far better job combining units to form a stronger entity than Magnemite and Magneton could ever hope to do.
I didn't notice that at first glance, but I can see what you mean. Guess that's something that could be said in Klang's favour then.
(I wouldn't call it a different concept though, more like an improvement of the same concept: it's still combining individual units, now they're just completing a better thought out structure, rather than being jammed together).

The same thing I mentioned earlier applies to a lot of 5th gen btw, and I think that's why that gen gets so much hate. Garbodor is a Muk ripoff, Conkeldurr is a Machamp ripoff, Ferrothorn is a Forretress ripoff, and so on. Of course all of them differentiate themselves from their earlier counterparts in some way, like (apparently) Klang does, and I've also seen some arguments in Garbodor's favour in this thread. I just think it's better to come up with something completely original (yay Chandelure) than to improve something already in existance in a way you have to actively search for in order to appreciate it. (guess you can appreciate some of these mons if you get those subtleties, but I don't like how they look like completely unimaginative ripoffs if you don't manage to see those).

I didn't notice that at first glance, but I can see what you mean. Guess that's something that could be said in Klang's favour then.
(I wouldn't call it a different concept though, more like an improvement of the same concept: it's still combining individual units, now they're just completing a better thought out structure, rather than being jammed together).

The same thing I mentioned earlier applies to a lot of 5th gen btw, and I think that's why that gen gets so much hate. Garbodor is a Muk ripoff, Conkeldurr is a Machamp ripoff, Ferrothorn is a Forretress ripoff, and so on. Of course all of them differentiate themselves from their earlier counterparts in some way, like (apparently) Klang does, and I've also seen some arguments in Garbodor's favour in this thread. I just think it's better to come up with something completely original (yay Chandelure) than to improve something already in existance in a way you have to actively search for in order to appreciate it. (guess you can appreciate some of these mons if you get those subtleties, but I don't like how they look like completely unimaginative ripoffs if you don't manage to see those).
Conkeldurr is an homage to Machamp, actually; it's far from a ripoff. Garbodor's not a Muk ripoff, it complements Weezing and Muk as I've illustrated before. Ferrothorn and Forretress? That's a bit of a stretch, if I have to be honest, considering Forretress is a bagworm and Ferrothorn a cross between a durian and a brier plant. They're far from unimaginative.

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Conkeldurr is an homage to Machamp, actually; it's far from a ripoff. Garbodor's not a Muk ripoff, it complements Weezing and Muk as I've illustrated before. Ferrothorn and Forretress? That's a bit of a stretch, if I have to be honest, considering Forretress is a bagworm and Ferrothorn a cross between a durian and a brier plant. They're far from unimaginative.
Don't we just mean the same thing by homage and ripoff? Ripoff might've sounded a bit harsher than I intended, and I can't find any source that Conk would be a Machamp homage. If you mean by 'homage' that Conk is Machamp 'revisited' as it were, we're on the same page actually. Garbodor isn't a Muk ripoff in the literal sense, but it is Muk 'revisited', as in being a garbageous pollution mon. (As I stated, I read your explanation regarding Garbodor). As for Ferrothorn and Forretress, that might be a bit of a stretch, but in any case they're both fat, defensive utility pods, and after finding so many parallel mons I don't really mind if it's a 'stretch'. (And I like Ferro :( ) I think it's pretty generally accepted that a lot of old mons have been revisited in 5th gen (other pretty obvious examples are Gigalith for Golem, Munna for Drowzee, and Throh/Sawk for Hitmonlee/chan) so if that's what you mean by 'homage' and what I (overly) harshly referred to as 'ripoffs', we're pretty much on the same page. Apparently you can appreciate that more than I can (and that's totally fine, but I think we should stop now before we're gonna derail the thread)

You've brought up a good point, but there were so many other ways to expand on Absol's concept for Mega Absol. I just really feel like the design caters a bit too much to the fanbase. What I'd personally have done was give it long fur on its back that droops down that makes it look more mysterious. That's just me.
Aren't all MEvos fanservice anyways?

Yeah, I know, I get where you're coming from and I like Absol's mysterious motif in base form myself; I was just throwing in my two cents.
On the other hand I agree with pretty much everything else you said.

Aren't all MEvos fanservice anyways?
Mega Manectric and Mega Tyranitar certainly weren't. Manectric is rather unpopular to begin with and its Mega Evolution isn't liked all that much, either. Mega Pinsir and Heracross aren't particularly liked, either, despite Mega Heracross very well expanding on the concept of a physically strong bug that can lift many many times its own weight, being closer to its namesake, the Hercules beetle.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Don't we just mean the same thing by homage and ripoff? Ripoff might've sounded a bit harsher than I intended, and I can't find any source that Conk would be a Machamp homage. If you mean by 'homage' that Conk is Machamp 'revisited' as it were, we're on the same page actually. Garbodor isn't a Muk ripoff in the literal sense, but it is Muk 'revisited', as in being a garbageous pollution mon. (As I stated, I read your explanation regarding Garbodor). As for Ferrothorn and Forretress, that might be a bit of a stretch, but in any case they're both fat, defensive utility pods, and after finding so many parallel mons I don't really mind if it's a 'stretch'. (And I like Ferro :( ) I think it's pretty generally accepted that a lot of old mons have been revisited in 5th gen (other pretty obvious examples are Gigalith for Golem, Munna for Drowzee, and Throh/Sawk for Hitmonlee/chan) so if that's what you mean by 'homage' and what I (overly) harshly referred to as 'ripoffs', we're pretty much on the same page. Apparently you can appreciate that more than I can (and that's totally fine, but I think we should stop now before we're gonna derail the thread)
Actually, looking at the Pokédex, it seems like roughly half of Gen. V are "revisits" of older Pokémon concepts. The entire first half of the Unova dex consists of (more or less) emulated older gen Pokémon (you've provided plenty of examples already, but there are many more), whereas the second half is actually pretty original and creative. It almost looks like GameFreak had designed the Pokémon lineup for the "introductory" half of the story with old Pokémon in mind, then decided to make new ones instead, but keeping the same concepts. "Here we planned for players to meet Sandshrew, but we had to replace it, so we made Drilbur." or "In this pond, you can fish and find Poliwag Tympole and Poliwhirl Palpitoad".

Then, once the obligatory lineup was completed, and all the required Pokémon concepts were replaced, the designers were allowed to be creative. It's a little hard to tell where in the Dex the division goes, but I usually argue that mostly everything before Zorua are rehashed concepts, and mostly everything after are original ones. Early in the dex, we have familiar concepts such as "Cave-dwelling, sentient rock with two evolutions, the latest of them induced by trade" and "two-stage feline, the first of which having a disproportionally huge head", later we get original ones such as "Fire/Ghost family of eerie lamps" or "Floating, electric lampreys". Of course, there are exceptions on both sides (arguably, the elemental monkeys are an original concept, whereas the late-dex Cubchoo/Beartic basically are Ice-type Teddiursa/Ursaring), but the rule seems pretty solid overall.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I vote for florges for simply the typing how are you going to have a Pokemon that blooms like a flower when it comes out the pokeball and evolves from smaller flowers and carries different colors to resemble different flowers make it a fairy type. In what way does florges look like a fairy. In my honest opinion it should have been grass type enough said haha. It is amazing competitively though I have to give it that.
I don't see what's amazing about a Pokemon that's blacklisted from the viability thread because it literally has no niche (Sylveon > Florges in pretty much every respect).

I don't see what's amazing about a Pokemon that's blacklisted from the viability thread because it literally has no niche (Sylveon > Florges in pretty much every respect).
Florges is the best in UU that's why it's viable and slyveon is ou and it does it job well.

Karxrida

Florges is the best in UU that's why it's viable and slyveon is ou and it does it job well.
Just because something is good in UU doesn't mean it's good in OU, let alone viable. A ton of the things in BL don't do too well in OU (Staraptor is the only thing on that list with a relevant niche in OU).

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mega Manectric and Mega Tyranitar certainly weren't. Manectric is rather unpopular to begin with and its Mega Evolution isn't liked all that much, either. Mega Pinsir and Heracross aren't particularly liked, either, despite Mega Heracross very well expanding on the concept of a physically strong bug that can lift many many times its own weight, being closer to its namesake, the Hercules beetle.
Um... what? Manectric was fairly popular, Tyranitar certainly was, and most people seem to like Mega-Pinsir/Heracross.

Karxrida

Um... what? Manectric was fairly popular, Tyranitar certainly was, and most people seem to like Mega-Pinsir/Heracross.
To expand on this, Popularity was one if the requirements for a Mon to get a Mega (there are 2 others but I can't remember them). This is why Mons who didn't "deserve" a Mega have gotten them (even though like 75%+ of all Megas are for Pokemon that sucked competitively otherwise).

Just because something is good in UU doesn't mean it's good in OU, let alone viable. A ton of the things in BL don't do too well in OU (Staraptor is the only thing on that list with a relevant niche in OU).
You're not understanding my
Point I'm saying that florges is outclassed by slyveon that's why it's uu but for being uu florges does it job which is wish pass better than any other pokemon in the tier

Karxrida

You're not understanding my
Point I'm saying that florges is outclassed by slyveon that's why it's uu but for being uu florges does it job which is wish pass better than any other pokemon in the tier
When people say something is good in the context of competitive Pokemon, they are referring to OU (the "main" tier) or VGC unless they state otherwise. Your original post implied Florges is a good OU mon, which is not true in the slightest as it is completely eclipsed by Sylveon. I can't say for certain how good it is in VGC because I have little experience in the format, but its abilities are gimmicky border-lining on useless going by theory alone.

When people say something is good in the context of competitive Pokemon, they are referring to OU (the "main" tier) or VGC unless they state otherwise. Your original post implied Florges is a good OU mon, which is not true in the slightest as it is completely eclipsed by Sylveon. I can't say for certain how good it is in VGC because I have little experience in the format, but its abilities are gimmicky border-lining on useless going by theory alone.
Not every Pokemon in context is referenced to the OU tier that's why Smogon created different tiers so non viable pokemon in ou can be viable in lower tiers.

Not every Pokemon in context is referenced to the OU tier that's why Smogon created different tiers so non viable pokemon in ou can be viable in lower tiers.
Um...every mon is referenced to the OU tier unless specified otherwise or is talked about in a UU/RU/NU subforum. Especially in OI.

I guess I'm the only one here who actually likes Florges. Not as much as Floette, but it's not nearly as bad as most people say it is. And I'm not talking about competitive (lol it's shit there), but design. I never evolved my Floette in-game because it looked adorable as fuck. Despite how hard it is to use in-game.

And then there's Sableye. Not sure what that fucker is supposed to be. Pretty much useless competitively, even with Prankster (yeah I'll be that guy), no one really used him in-game (I never even knew he had "NO WEAK" until Gen V), and then gets a Mega Evo...with Magic Bounce. There's very few reasons to use him over Xatu/Espeon or even Mega Absol (who even tries to use non-attacking moves on Sableye in the first place). Oh, and he's going to break ASB in half. Fun, right?

Kecleon is another horrible case of bad design. It's a chameleon. Chameleons change their color to match their environment. Attacks flung around by Pokemon on the battlefield are not the environment (okay, stuff like Grassy Terrain and Blizzard are, but Ice Beam is certainly not).

Oh, and did I mention that until Gen VI Kecleon couldn't learn Camouflage? And in Gen VI it became available...as an Egg move. Smooth, GameFreak.

I would have mentioned more but the bad mons are so forgettable.

And then there's Sableye. Not sure what that fucker is supposed to be. Pretty much useless competitively, even with Prankster (yeah I'll be that guy), no one really used him in-game (I never even knew he had "NO WEAK" until Gen V), and then gets a Mega Evo...with Magic Bounce. There's very few reasons to use him over Xatu/Espeon or even Mega Absol (who even tries to use non-attacking moves on Sableye in the first place). Oh, and he's going to break ASB in half. Fun, right?
...I used Sableye in my Emerald playthroughs... Granted, this was WAY before I even knew what competitive battling was or even cared about EV's, but it was fun even if it really wasn't that good despite having no weaknesses at the time. ...Don't kill me...

Not sure if he's been nominated yet, but: This motherfucker.

Zubat.

Crobat is one of my favorite mons and I use him on my singleplayer team every generation because he looks awesome and has an insane speed stat... but why do I have to go through this asshole? It's even worse with horde battles in XY, as if they weren't already annoying enough being in caves and shit, now we have to face like six of them at once in a cave?
We all know he has no competitive use thanks to his shitty movepool, even with that nice typing. His flavor is terrible as well. Where did the eyes come from from Zubat to Golbat, and why the fuck do they shrink from Golbat to Crobat?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)