"Worst Pokémon Ever"

I really hate Gumshoos and Yungoos. They both have a terrible design, i just can't stand the appearence and the cry of these pokemon, to be honest i avoid playing ultra sun during the day so i can be sure that i will not find these abominations around. Their pokedex entries also say they were introduced to alola region to reduce rattata population... that does not makes any sense, how a diurnal pokemon is supposed to hunt a nocturnal pokemon? Also, alola has many other potential predators to Rattata(Meowth line, Litten line, Ekans line, Birds, etc.). To complete, they are both practically useless in competitive, even in ZU, Gumshoos have the same viability of f*ckin CORSOLA. Indeed i think that the alola inhabitants made a terrible decision introducing yungoos to Alola.
Rattata weren't always nocturnal, but Yungoos and Gumshoos certainly encouraged them to become nocturnal.

Their pokedex entries also say they were introduced to alola region to reduce rattata population... that does not makes any sense, how a diurnal pokemon is supposed to hunt a nocturnal pokemon?
While the games state that Rattata became nocturnal precisely to avoid Yungoos... the whole "bring diurnal predator to control nocturnal species" you think makes no sense actually happened. In the place and with the species this whole matter is based on.

i hate seel. its a seal that they made white and "renamed" it seel. its stupid
So many things in Gen 1 have stupid names. And random horns. And random multiple heads just because THEY'RE MONSTERS DUDE. And a bunch of mistranslations like Shellfish Pokémon for Blastoise. Like seriously everyone loves these games but they are seriously flawed.

So many things in Gen 1 have stupid names. And random horns. And random multiple heads just because THEY'RE MONSTERS DUDE. And a bunch of mistranslations like Shellfish Pokémon for Blastoise. Like seriously everyone loves these games but they are seriously flawed.
It's more on how GameFreaks did not expect Pokemon to be such a huge success. Honestly, noone did, so can't blame them.

I wouldn't say this is THE worst Pokemon ever, but I've read through this thread some and want to be original, so here we go.
1546559954998.png

Heatmor - the Anteater Pokemon. In BW1, It's found at Victory Road, right before the end of the main game, and I'm guessing most of you who played through BW1 might not even know this Pokemon existed unless you read Durant's Pokedex entry in Black version, or if you battled the one mook in the area who has it - Veteran Tiffany (and I'm pretty sure you can walk around her too). To add insult to injury, Heatmor is only found on the outside of Victory Road at a 45% encounter rate, which is admittedly the highest of the encounter table, but why would you want literally the last (barring the version-exclusive Reshiram) Fire-type in the Unova Pokedex?

But maybe it's not all about availability. Look at Bouffalant, Durant, and Terrakion, all of which who can be found nearby and can be put to use against the endgame via typing (former two) or coverage (Bouffalant) despite how late they come. Can Heatmor overcome the lategame odds and still be formidable?

...The answer is sadly no, which is ironic because Heatmor's prey, Durant, outclasses it in pretty much every single way (even having the same BST with competent Attack, Defense and Speed and an actually good defensive Type in Bug/Steel, which is great for endgame and in general). But I digress: here are Heatmor's stats:

HP 85
Attack 97
Defense 66
Sp. Atk 105
Sp. Def 66
Speed 65

They might not seem atrocious right away, but let's compare Heatmor to the Unova Fire types. Emboar more or less hits better or about as hard on both offenses (clearly winning in Attack and only losing in Special Attack by five points) and takes hits slightly better overall. Simisear is loads faster than Heatmor in exchange for having only slightly worse mixed attacking stats and defenses (and you get it so much earlier like the others). Darmanitan pretty much outclasses Heatmor in every way save Special Attack and also hits like a locomotive (the extra 20 HP Darmanitan has make Heatmor's 11 points in both Defenses more or less moot). Chandelure loses in HP and Attack but wins in every other stat and has a Special Attack on par with Reshiram along with fantastic dual STAB. The only Pokemon this thing is really outclassing is Larvesta, but that's moot because you can still get Volcarona immediately postgame anyway, which is a monstrous Special sweeper at level 70.

Does Heatmor get any moves that are different from the comparable Simisear (who gets most of the same moves)? No, not really, unless you count the glorious Bug Bite, Slash, Stockpile combo and Snatch "must-haves." What about Abilities? Flash Fire and Gluttony - each of which are had by Chandelure or Simisear respectively (Hidden Ability is White Smoke-Torkoal does it better). You can get Flamethrower at Level 51, and give it some TMs like Shadow Claw, Focus Blast, Fire Blast and Dig, but why bother when Fire STAB hits only 4 (out of 28, meaning one-seventh) of all endgame targets super-effectively?

So you've got a Pokemon at the very end of the main game with no redeeming qualities, low Speed, and one that doesn't even hit many of the few foes left super-effectively with STAB (if it gets a hit off, pretty much all of endgame will slam it). And in BW2, you can only find it postgame in Twist Mountain (at a 5% encounter rate if not Summer, in the latter of which it has a 20% encounter rate). The only other game you can find it during the main story (or heck, any game at all without transferring) in is X and Y (post-Team Flare with a worse encounter rate from 5-10% on Route 18, so availability strikes once again) where it can beat the final gym and flop against the League (hitting a whopping 4/22 targets super-effectively there, with three E4 resisting its STAB). Does anybody care about Heatmor?

...Apparently Game Freak does, because in Gen VII Heatmor actually got a signature move: Fire Lash, a 80-power, 100-accuracy Physical Fire-type move that always lowers Defense by one stage when it hits. A cool move, but nowhere near to save Heatmor from being hot garbage both in-game and competitively (it's Untiered in SM and even Eviolite Combusken outclasses it, so yeah).

So Heatmor is my original pick for Worst Pokemon Ever. It's not horrible, but worse things have already been said (Unown, Spinda, etc.) and I can't see why you would want it over any other Fire type (Unovan or otherwise) sans Magcargo (lol).

Last edited:
So Heatmor is my original pick for Worst Pokemon Ever. It's not horrible, but worse things have already been said (Unown, Spinda, etc.) and I can't see why you would want it over any other Fire type (Unovan or otherwise) sans Magcargo (lol).
Oof. Poor Heatmor. I do feel bad for it because it looks kind of cool, but you’re right, it’s trash competitively lol

Board rules. We don't want pages of threads to be clogged up with one user's post. Mods will combine multiple posts into one post and give a warning, though if the behavior keeps going they will suspend the repeat offender. Please, respect the rules.

Anyway, if we're reviving this thread I guess I can contribute.

The thing is, I think we gone through individual "worse" Pokemon. So instead I'm going to try another idea: judging a worst Pokemon within a group. Basically I look at a group of Pokemon, compare them to one another, and decide which is the worst within that group. So, let's start with an easy one: the Eeveelutions.

Yeah, there's no real investigation here, the worst Eeveelution (aside from Eevee, though that's now questionable with it able to use Extreme Evoboost) is, sadly, Flareon.

(Don't worry Flareon, you'll always be my favorite)

It all comes down to stats. Every other Eeveelution seemingly was made with a focus: Vaporeon & Sylveon are Special wall & attacker, Jolteon & Espeon are speedy Special mon, Umbreon is a wall, Leafeon is a physical mon with good speed, and Glaceon is a defensive Special attacker. While some are better than others, if set up right or in the right situation any of them can perform well at what they do.

Then we have Flareon. Very high Attack, high Special Defense, and good Special Attack. It's it focusing on both offensive stat and having low Speed that does it in, heck the Special Attack is only good (95). Had they give the 130 and 110 to the offense stats and 95 to Speed maybe they could have made Flareon a promising dual attacker with good speed, putting it on a similar level as Leafeon. But no, instead it has low Speed and a high Special Defense which I guess is alright though defensive Fire-types never really worked out due to them having too many common weaknesses (and its defense is still low, not to mention also low HP).

Also Flareon doesn't get any great Abilities and took it years to finally get Flare Blitz (which hurts it, though the next "best" Physical Fire-type move it has is 65 Power Fire Fang). :blobsad:
Now, hoping it's ok to reply old post.

In its defence, as of now, thanks to its stats and the "Special" types, in Vee only matches, Flareon actually went to be the best, resisted only by its close sister Vaporeon. At least pre-Hyper Voice Sylveon (XY, iirc), I haven't seen if there was similar cup in Gen7 (And I don't know if max SpDef Flareon can survive Espeon's Z-Move as of now).
Plus, if just has too much warm fluffs, A LOT of artists love it.

I agree that the stats should be tweaked though. They seemed to only mind it being an anti-magic mon with little coherence to an actual theme. I'd think putting the 95 to HP works at least a bit better because of the much fluffs, but I suppose at the time it was created they just wanted to keep the "powerful fire" theme which then scrambled when it's split to physical-special (its siblings Vaporeon and Jolteon managed to keep theme coherence as Tank and Fragile Speedster). The only reason I can think on the SpDef is its fluffiness.
I can think of it having low Speed with its design though, so that gets a pass. But as it is now, I think Sizzly Slide or a new Fire physical move is the only way to redeem it. Maybe. Flareon is pretty much the only one whom I'd not object on getting partner-Vee's exclusive move.

Oh, it's Japanese name? Booster
Speed? 65 :psygrump:
(If I take this name note, then the Atk-SpA high stats suggestion would make even better sense)

Honestly, I think Grumpig is the worst Pokemon. It's very ugly, near useless competitively, and a boring concept. If not the worst Pokemon, it has to be the least relevant - when people discuss the least relevant mon they bring up mons like Seaking, Carnivine, etc, but the fact that no one even remembers Grumpig exists when discussing the most forgotten mons shows how truly irrelevant it is.

While I know the "hey I used this in-game once and it was great" isn't actually a compelling counter-argument, I did use a Grumpig in an Emerald run years ago and it wasn't half bad. It's decent special bulk combined with thick fat made it situationally good at countering some fights, and it has serviceable offensive stats and a movepool that's just big enough.

But let's put the cream and sugar away and get salty. Even from it's inception Grumpig had to play second fiddle to Gardevoir who is better than it in every way: stats, movepool, availability, the whole caboodle. And while it once had Magic Coat as an interesting signature move, it lost the signature status years ago and Magic Bounce the ability is better in every way.

So now all the pig has to set it apart from other psychics is Thick Fat for fire and ice sponging, which isn't that amazing a trick.

But for some reason I still really like Grumpig? I don't know why, it's like some primordial concept rooted deep in my mind that I can't explain.

Oh wait, now I remember.

Last edited:
Spoink is an adorable little thing and I really wish they kept the concept it had going with the evolution. There's still like pearls and stuff on Grumpig, but its tail is far less prominent.

Grumpig is basically Gen 3's Hypno to Gardevoir's Alakazam. Both Grumpig and Hypno attempt to be bulky Psychic-types. Both fail miserably outside of really low tiers (and both are pretty alright in-game), but still. Of course, Drowzee's line is remembered far more than Spoink's, and it's likely due to design and the creepy lore surrounding the line. (Though Spoink does have a bit of a creepy lore as well)

They tried to make a Drowzee counterpart in Gen 5 as well with Munna's line, but IMO it was done quite a bit better there. I will never forget the stuff in the Dreamyard in Black and White 1 or the time Bianca's Munna got kidnapped. Also Munna's design is a callback to Gen 1 NPC dialogue which I find a lot more appealing if you wanna appeal to nostalgia.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They tried to make a Drowzee counterpart in Gen 5 as well with Munna's line, but IMO it was done quite a bit better there. I will never forget the stuff in the Dreamyard in Black and White 1 or the time Bianca's Munna got kidnapped. Also Munna's design is a callback to Gen 1 NPC dialogue which I find a lot more appealing if you wanna appeal to nostalgia.
Looking at their stats, there's other factors which I think they did with Musharna that got it more "right" than Hypno and Grumpig:

Hypno:------85/73/70/--73/115/67
Grumpig:---80/45/65/--90/110/80
Musharna: 116/55/85/107/-95/29

Hypno has the highest Special Defense but every other stat is average between 70 and 85; also its Speed is middling which is bad as it's not likely to outspeed many Pokemon either normally or against a Trick Room team. Also passive Abilities which either come down to not falling asleep or not flinching.
Grumpig I would say is a bit better. Not only does it have high Special Defense but a good Special Attack; Speed is average and the low Defense doesn't help with it being bulky. More passive Abilities but a bit more useful as one is Thick Fat and the other is Own Tempo preventing the more common confusion (at least compared to sleep and flinching).
Musharna knows what it wants to be. High HP and Special Attack, good defenses, and low Speed. It can tank hits, hits like a tank, and if used on a Trick Room team it would be very fast. Synchronize is also a useful Ability making opponents think twice about afflicting it with a status ailment lest they also gotta deal with it. Actually looking at all the Psychic-types in Gen V (Reuniclus, Gothitelle, Beheeyem, Swoobat, & Sigilyph) all of them have their advantages and disadvantages and I'd say the only overshadows are Sigilyph over Swoobat and Reuniclus over Beheeyem.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Eiscue - #875 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Eiscue is an interesting case for me. It's one of two Pokemon along with Stantler where I genuinely have no idea how it got out of Beta in the state it was in. And yet there are a couple of things that for me set Eiscue below even that thing.

Stantler is not a good design, far from it. And yet it (sort of) works for what it was trying to be. What it was trying to be was boring and extremely flawed, but it did the job... serviceably. Eiscue - and I do not say stuff like this lightly - feels unfinished. It's such a literal, disjointed-looking interpretation of its basic idea that it seems almost like a super duper basic concept doodle that was fast-tracked through 3-4 more stages of Game Freak's internal Pokemon design process and brought to life without any revisions or tweaking that would've occurred in those hypothetical stages.

The second and far more grievous sin is the competition it has. Stantler was certainly not the only ill-conceived, extremely weak Pokemon introduced in Gen 2, certainly not when things like Dunsparce, Sunflora, Ledian and Misdreavus, Murkrow, Gligar and Togetic prior to getting their gen 4 evolutions were among its competition. Even compared to them it is on the lower rung, but it's not so horrible relatively speaking. Eiscue, on the other hand, is a putrid blemish on an absolutely fantastic generation of Pokemon design that managed to mold even some of the most far-out concepts in the series into generally strong and very visually appealing creatures, from Appletun and Flapple to Dragapult to Falinks to Toxtricity to even more "conventional" seeming designs like SIrfetch'd, Rillaboom, Cursola, Corviknight and Runerigus. How did trash like Eiscue slip through the cracks when there were so many other cool and creative designs, some of the best ever even???

Wanted to try it in battle? Don't bother. Forget in-game where it comes far too late and at too low of an encounter rate (2% lol) to serve a real use in any playthrough, and as for competitive it's so far one of only two fully evolved Gen 8 Pokemon along with bloody GREEDENT to make it all the way to ZU, and unless the DLCs introduce something huge for it (I'm talking V-Create level huge) the slew of new Pokemon raising the average power level will only further grind it into paste.

And to top it all off? Unlike Stantler, it's so recent that there is no hope of it gaining any significant new forms aside from maybe a Gigantamax form. Meanwhile it's 100% feasable for Stantler to get something, whether it be a regional variant (galarian stantler for dlcs pls), an evolution or even a Mega Evolution in the future. For the time being, meanwhile, there is no hope for Eiscue.

So congratulations, trash penguin. You will be remembered now and forever as one of, if not the greatest failure of Pokemon design in what is otherwise a peak generation for it.

Last edited:

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor
i quite like eiscue in both forms. i do not know why, do not ask me to explain. maybe aquatic creature bias? i do love them
:ss/eiscue:
hes just such a good boy

edit: pokemon i personally dislike that also are useless in competitive, as far as i know
:ariados: its just a spider and it sucks
:carbink: an excuse for diancie to exist, but did we really need one?
:chimecho: what
:dedenne: the worst pikaclone
:wormadam: i dont get it

Last edited:

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Bro I fucking love every pokemon from Gen 1 don't @ me.

Its not easy for me to dislike a pokemon but like I really hate this Monstrosity.
1586152733736.png

Let me tell you why this is the worst thing ever. First off look at his face, he looks so unfazed. He could of just watched his and family be murdered by a pack of Raichu because he ate their son and he's just like completely stone cold unfazed. It's Game Freaks equivalent to a dodo bird. Secondly, who the fuck at Game Freak decided it was a good idea to have a mon that has Pikachu in its mouth. This pokemon is the embodiment of vore.

#CancelCramorant

1586153647957.png

i am about to say something perhaps controversial.

i fucking hate ferrothorn.

like i know that it's Good competitively. however. it is literally the ugliest motherfucker i think i've ever seen. i refuse to use it because i hate looking at it and i hate playing against it not even cause it's that hard to beat or anything i just HATE LOOKING AT IT.

i don't know what it is exactly that is so viscerally repellent to me. i hate the colors. like the particular shade of like pure green combined with like the totally neutral gray..... it's bad. i hate its weird eyes. it's got no expression, no character. it's like somebody drew its eyes on with some markers. soulless. but not even in a creepy way, which would at least compel me to feel Something while looking at it besides Rage.

ferroseed is (slightly) more tolerable to look at because at least ferroseed is.... something, you know? like oh, it's a little cockleburr. yeah, whatever. what the FUCK is ferrothorn!!! its like arms are supposed to be vines i guess but there's no leaves on em or anything?? it's just like. green.... arms. with spikes. all spikes. imagine being a real life pokemon trainer and having this thing around as like, a pet. what if it tries to cuddle you, huh? course i doubt that would happen because i don't think ferrothorn has feelings, or thoughts. brainless metal plant motherfucker. it is incapable of love. which is just as well, because it should never BE loved.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
i am about to say something perhaps controversial.

i fucking hate ferrothorn.

like i know that it's Good competitively. however. it is literally the ugliest motherfucker i think i've ever seen. i refuse to use it because i hate looking at it and i hate playing against it not even cause it's that hard to beat or anything i just HATE LOOKING AT IT.

i don't know what it is exactly that is so viscerally repellent to me. i hate the colors. like the particular shade of like pure green combined with like the totally neutral gray..... it's bad. i hate its weird eyes. it's got no expression, no character. it's like somebody drew its eyes on with some markers. soulless. but not even in a creepy way, which would at least compel me to feel Something while looking at it besides Rage.
While it's not towards Ferrothorn, I can understand being viscerally repellent toward a Pokemon that everyone else seem to love partly because its good competitively *side glances at Dracovish*.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Dracovish has the extra Woobie factor in that it's in a constantly-suffering state.
More like "proof it shouldn't exist" factor.

It's a fish head attached to a tail, and not even the end of the tail that would make (somewhat) sense! It's not suffocating because it's not in water it's suffocating because there's no windpipe for it to breath! It also would starve to death because there's no throat either! Meanwhile what organs are in the side of the tail that should normally be sealed off should be spilling out! It's such a STUPID design when they could have made actual cool if not just good looking Fossil Pokemon. And yes, I know the reference, the Fossil Wars. Maybe instead of wasting Pokemon slots they could instead have had a museum where we see recognizable fossil Pokemon having their remains mixed around. It would have gotten the laughs they had about learning about the Fossil War out and more importantly gave us better Fossil Pokemon that looked, you know, like prehistoric (or at the very least extinct) animals. Not abominations that not only were able to be revived but didn't immediately die from combining two mismatched fossils together from a lady who wears two different colored shoes!

I’m on the Dracovish is beautiful train haha in like a messed up “perpetual anguish is poetic” kind of way. I love his stupid face.

I am also of the opinion that Ferrothorn is one of the single worst designs to ever come out of Pokémon. Nevermind competitive use, it looks like one of those things you stuck on your toilet to make it smell good but like... hostile. It looks like some kind of disappointing kid’s meal toy that would ruin your child’s whole day. I hate it.

While I’m on a bit of a tangent, Mudsdale’s feet look like toilet plungers. Roggenrola’s face is a bootyhole and Alcremie has tiddies in its head.
And resolute Keldeo’s horn looks like an adult toy

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)