SS OU Would like some help with my team

Hey, I'm a returning player from the BW days giving competitive another shot. After some messing around I've landed on a team that's gotten me to the 1400s but I feel like I'm constantly run over by common mons now. I did make some changes already but would like some input ^^

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

Not much to say here, Weavile seems like one of if not the strongest cleanup mons rn. Lategame wincon when its checks and counters are removed. I've considered swapping out SD since I rarely click it since by the time I start using Weavile, the enemy team is already weak enough where I can just click attacks and win.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlpool
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

One of my favourite sets rn, abuses stall mons and walls super hard. Main role is to remove Toxapex, Clefable (sometimes) and the like to enable Weavile. Also stops enemy Weaviles and Urshifus from running over my team. Cool mon.
I kinda copied the set from a thread in the SSOU subforum, I believe the EVs let you outspeed max spd heatran but since this isn't my dedicated heatran switch-in, I feel like the spread can use some work.

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Scorching Sands

The most recent change to the team. Initially I had Heatran here with the Magma Taunt trap set - Double trapping was pretty fun - but I kept getting rolled by Kartana since secret sword hits like a truck on Heatran. Moltres tanks Kartana better imo but really, really hates Knock Off so I'm still not sure. Moltres also counters Rillaboom better who could otherwise be a problem, since if he sets up an SD this team gets rolled without Moltres. Roost Turn for utility and longetivity, Flametrower STAB and Scorching Sands to kill Heatran and possibly surprise other ground-weak mons. God Bless HDB.

Not sure on the spread, stole it from the suggested sets. I like the SpA but haven't ran the calcs yet on what it needs to reliable OHKO/2HKO the things i want to kill with it.

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

One of the members I'm still torn on. On one hand, this thing tears through a lot of mons. However I feel like I barely use it and it kinda shares its role with weavile already. However its ability to soften up stuff like Corviknight, Lando-t, etc is really appreciated, and has very good late-game cleanup capability. Also I have an unreasonable obsession with FWG cores.
Aerial Ace is for dealing with Buzzwhole after he's taken a bit of chip damage.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Mandatory Lando-t I needed some role compression since I didn't want to run defog on Moltres and Lando-t seemed the most obvious choice here, Intimidate is a great ability, it stops Zeraora from dunking on Moltres and Fini, provides hazard control and can pivot really well. I can see why this guy's in the S tier, though I'm kinda tired of seeing Lando literally everywhere already and I've only been back for 2 days.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

I'm most unsure about this mon. Felt like I needed some more Special firepower in the team, and something to help deal with Koko, and another trapper for steel-types can't hurt when I rely on Kartana and Weavile as my main wincons. Thing is, I barely every swap magnezone in and even if I do, I feel like he just kinda doesnt do much. I was running SubRoost Kyurem in this slot earlier for idk why. I'm considerin running Specs Dragapult in this slot but honestly idk. Perhaps I could also run something here that can defog/set hazards to free up a slot on Lando for toxic/knock-off.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the team so far. Main issues I've run into is hard hitting special nukes like specs Dragapult, Blacephalon and Tapu Lele since they require good predictions on my part. Shadow Ball hurts no matter what tho. I've also had issues against Tapu Koko + Weavile teams before I added Magnezone since Lando-t was the only answer and he gets worn down pretty hard if he takes repeated chip damage from rocks, knock off, dazzling gleam and other stuff. Lastly so far, I've found that Melmetal is really annoying to play around, depending on what moves he carries. TPunch hits Moltres really hard, Ice Punch messes up Lando and DIB hurts on almost anyone, and it usually carries AV so Moltres and Magnezone can't stay in safely and nuke it down.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Hey your team is quite good however there are some much needed changes. First, give weavile jolly since adamant is really not good due to the fact that you must be able to outspeed mons like tornadus t and all the mons with the base speed from about 108 to 125. You can still boost attack with sd anyways. Also swap some defence with sp def for tapu fini in order to tank dragapult's shadow ball like about 44 or above. Next is magnezone. It actually is pretty good I your team as it traps steels and allows kartana and weavile to sweep. However as you said it is very matchup reliant and really does not do anything much than trapping steels. Plus, a good player can avoid their steels from being trapped by it. In my opinion, use body press over toxic since it's main job is removing steels. If it is not rendering effective, change it to zeraora or tapu kok. Good luck with your team.

Hey your team is quite good however there are some much needed changes. First, give weavile jolly since adamant is really not good due to the fact that you must be able to outspeed mons like tornadus t and all the mons with the base speed from about 108 to 125. You can still boost attack with sd anyways. Also swap some defence with sp def for tapu fini in order to tank dragapult's shadow ball like about 44 or above. Next is magnezone. It actually is pretty good I your team as it traps steels and allows kartana and weavile to sweep. However as you said it is very matchup reliant and really does not do anything much than trapping steels. Plus, a good player can avoid their steels from being trapped by it. In my opinion, use body press over toxic since it's main job is removing steels. If it is not rendering effective, change it to zeraora or tapu kok. Good luck with your team.
I think moltres should have a stab flying move tbh like hurricane

Thanks for the input! I swapped Weavile to Jolly and changed Fini's spread.

I've also changed out Kartana for SpD Ferrothorn, and Magnezone for Specs Dragapult. I did try out the changes for Zone and Kart but, although maybe it was just a skill issue, it didnt work out for me.

Ferro's spikes support is greatly appreciated, and ferro gives me a more spammable knock, in addition to checking stuff like weavile, urshifu, pult and countering koko. Currently running Knock, Spikes, Leech Seed and Body Press, though without a STAB steel move Clefable (speficially CM Thunderbolt) has become an issue. He's also a good knockoff sponge for moltres

Moltres really likes the extra hazards and knockoffs as it does a good amount of damage since Hurricane (swapped EP for Hurricane like Pixelbro suggested) is spammable, and allows for some surprise KOs

Pult is nice for breaking since Shadow Ball is more spammable than Magnezone's moves, and he also outspeeds the entire tier bar zeraora who gets stopped by Lando. I changed Lando to be full phys def specifically for Zera, since he's the major threat to the others, hitting everyone for super effective damage.

This version of the team is performing better already. Main concerns now are Nidoking who comes in for free on Ferro and Fini, and the aforementioned CM Thunderbolt Clef. Most of my other problems with the team this far have been due to user error (like saccing Moltres and then getting swept by Celesteela)

I would tell you to change magnezone for heatran because your team doesn't look like it really needs to trap the steels and also because your team struggles a lot with breakers like blacephalon or Lele. I also think you should change weavile or kartana because they have basically the same role in your team, maybe change it for an special sweeper. Finally I think your moltres needs more bulk in the physical side if not it is going to find it hard to wall grass types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)