Writers on Smogon

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
  • What do you like to write?: I could not live without writing poetry
  • Are you working on a current project?: A poem based completely around wordplay
  • What got you interested in writing?: My own humor, yet I can write some seriously deep and dark stuff :]]
  • Are you branching out?: no sorry :{
  • Do you have a method?: something sick usually pops into my head while I'm brainstorming on a topic i will most likely never finish hue
  • Favorites: Sierra DeMulder, Neil Hilborn, and Marshall Davis Jones *_*
  • Misc: I am currently living in the sunny state of Florida, I have no agent, and I haven't sold any work :[ Reading The Book Thief ATM
I swear if i hear one more person say that poetry is just for girls I will smash their face in, poetry is literally the manliest thing ftw ;_________________________________________________________;

I am an amateur writer and I'm writing something...check it!
http://pastebin.com/bBhhZEUi please give constructive criticism and don't just flame me -.-
I have seen "Three Idiots", and if you remember from the story, Farhan and Raju arent dumb, Farhan just doesnt want to become an engineer, and Raju is too afraid of failing to actually study properly. And Rancho isnt dumb at all, he's the only one of the group who manages to score high in his exams. Even their 'misadventures' are just natural for Indians and Pakistanis(come on, its not like we're Goody Two-Shoes who sit in class all day).
Aside from that, I liked it.

EV

Banned deucer.
I'm happy to report I received my first response the other day from one of my submissions. A very curt "no". More specifically,

Thank you for submitting "Your Story." We appreciate your interest in OUR WEBSITE.

Unfortunately, it is not quite right for us. Best of luck placing it elsewhere.

This tells me a few things. 1) I wasn't careful in choosing the right location for my story. My fault, not theirs. 2) I need to familiarize with the website/magazine ahead of time so I'm not waiting 2+ months to hear back with a form response saying "this isn't for us."

However, even if I do send it to a site/magazine that features stories like mine, there's still no guarantee I'll even get a response other than a form letter like I got this time. Form letters are the name of the game, especially when submitting to large publications. They just don't have the time for individual responses.

Either way, I'm still glad to finally have my first response, even though it was no (and there will be plenty more anyway.) That just means I'm one response closer to my first yes.

• What do you like to write?: Alternate history.
  • Are you working on a current project?: Kind of... If so, what? I am writing a few beginnings What's your timeline/goal? To get a good start going. Do you want to publish it? Probably not.
  • What got you interested in writing?: I was always kind of a history guru in school; I like thinking about how different things could be if WWI was won by Germany.
  • Are you branching out?: No.
  • Do you have a method?: Casual and narrative writing.
  • Favorites: I like reading mystery novels. I can't write good ones.
That's all really. Is anybody here interested in alternate history? I would appreciate an opinion from somebody via PM. If you are willing to help, please PM me.
Edit: Let me try to help:
I am an amateur writer and I'm writing something...check it!
http://pastebin.com/bBhhZEUi please give constructive criticism and don't just flame me -.-
The beginning is a little choppy, and IITian is hard to pronounce. Your writing style could use improvement, but it has a great backbone and depth. Try making the narrator a little more social with other people. I hope this helps you.
Will somebody help me with this? I stole the first conversation idea with a one-word change(You MAY to You MUST) from an author; the beginning Russian offensive is historical. Other than that, I invented the rest: http://pastebin.com/kVECF0Cp

Last edited:
  • What do you like to write?: Surprisingly, I usually write transcendental-themed pieces ranging from short stories to poems.
  • Are you working on a current project?: None really. I've been giving poem-writing and songwriting a go (mostly in an Indie Folk fashion)
  • What got you interested in writing?: Surprisingly, I'd say I'm mixed on it. I hate writing research essays (but that's just coming from me not researching in general), but I do greatly enjoy speech-writing (which stemmed from my time on the school's debate team)
  • Are you branching out?: No. I'd rather not.
  • Do you have a method?: In order to write well, you must have sources or inspirations to draw from (i.e. books, song lyrics, poets)
  • Favorites: John Steinbeck, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Bon Iver, Mumford and Sons, Ernest Hemingway, Fleet Foxes, Iron and Wine, 2Pac
  • Misc: I live near NYC, so I do have a rather large access to constructive criticism. Currently reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. A must-read American classic

thank you so much everyone...I'm going to try to improve that story! Anybody here heard of Fall from Grace? I deally i wouldm love to write like that guy!

I'm happy to report I received my first response the other day from one of my submissions. A very curt "no". More specifically,

Thank you for submitting "Your Story." We appreciate your interest in OUR WEBSITE.

Unfortunately, it is not quite right for us. Best of luck placing it elsewhere.

This tells me a few things. 1) I wasn't careful in choosing the right location for my story. My fault, not theirs. 2) I need to familiarize with the website/magazine ahead of time so I'm not waiting 2+ months to hear back with a form response saying "this isn't for us."

However, even if I do send it to a site/magazine that features stories like mine, there's still no guarantee I'll even get a response other than a form letter like I got this time. Form letters are the name of the game, especially when submitting to large publications. They just don't have the time for individual responses.

Either way, I'm still glad to finally have my first response, even though it was no (and there will be plenty more anyway.) That just means I'm one response closer to my first yes.
was this SH per chance? i submitted something there recently and this seems like the format they would use. or is this a different site and would you mind contactin me about the details of it? thanks

EV

Banned deucer.
Just a heads up, the first Writing Room contest First Battle (a joint contest) ends on the 5th! If you haven't written something already, get your pens to the page and your fingers on the keyboard!
The First Battle winners for writing are here. (Yay 3rd place!)

Also, update from me (since the thread has been quiet u.u), I received another rejection from a magazine. Oh well! But I also received a "send us a new draft w/ these edits" from a different publisher for another story. Exciting! They want me to clarify a few things, elaborate more at the ending, and tighten it up in a few other places. Does anyone else have feedback from their submitted work they'd like to share?

• What do you like to write?: Honestly, I just love producing a good story. Whether that be comics, movies, video games, novels, etc. If I had to pick a favorite of them, I think I would have to go with a good film script. I just love movies so much, I always have and always will.
  • Are you working on a current project?: I am actually currently working on a Pokemon comic with my artist friend based on the X/Y adventure, except replacing the characters with characters loosely based on some of my friends. I also am working on a game script with those friends, trying to become a cool indie studio.
  • What got you interested in writing?: Movies, but more specifically Shawshank Redemption. It is one of the greatest stories of redemption and will ever to grace a silver screen.
  • Are you branching out?: Trying to as much as I can, I have a good group of writers that I work with on the game. They are all awesome and we produce some pretty top quality shit
  • Do you have a method?: I have ADD, so I gotta pace around and sometimes think out loud. Music helps too because it kind of eliminates other background noise and helps me focus on what I am doing. Otherwise most of my ideas are very improvised, and I usually roll and bounce off other ideas really well
  • Favorites: Snatch, Shawshank Redemption, Airplane, Blazing Saddles
  • Misc: I live in Alberta, Canada, and this is one of my first posts on Smogon! I used to play a lot of Pokemon Online, then I started to switch to playing showdown. Always looking for a mathc if anyone is feeling so inclined.

• Do you have a method?: I have ADD, so I gotta pace around and sometimes think out loud. Music helps too because it kind of eliminates other background noise and helps me focus on what I am doing. Otherwise most of my ideas are very improvised, and I usually roll and bounce off other ideas really well.
*gives EvilOrange76 a pi five*

Ditto! I should probably use music more often tbh. Otherwise, I always do improvise and roll off of other ideas too :)

*gives EvilOrange76 a pi five*

Ditto! I should probably use music more often tbh. Otherwise, I always do improvise and roll off of other ideas too :)
My recommendation for music choice is something less lyric based, that way you get less distracted by what the artist is saying. I like electronic but Classical also does the same thing. But rock on ADD brotha, we'll unite and- ooooh shiny

My recommendation for music choice is something less lyric based, that way you get less distracted by what the artist is saying. I like electronic but Classical also does the same thing. But rock on ADD brotha, we'll unite and- ooooh shiny
Pfft, I'm a sucker for liquid DnB and some Gabber too. UK Hardcore makes me want to rave too much and house tempts me to get up and start shuffling, so I've stuck to subgenres that kind of melt into the background. I do like trance, but it really depends. Liking trance is like liking chips. Everyone has their favorite flavor :3

What kind of classical music do you like? One time I listened to entire Four Seasons xD Speaking of which, it's getting cold >< staccato-ass Winter...

Pfft, I'm a sucker for liquid DnB and some Gabber too. UK Hardcore makes me want to rave too much and house tempts me to get up and start shuffling, so I've stuck to subgenres that kind of melt into the background. I do like trance, but it really depends. Liking trance is like liking chips. Everyone has their favorite flavor :3

What kind of classical music do you like? One time I listened to entire Four Seasons xD Speaking of which, it's getting cold >< staccato-ass Winter...
Ahahaha I don't really listen to classical all that much, unless I'm trying to grind out an essay for like 3 hours.

Ahahaha I don't really listen to classical all that much, unless I'm trying to grind out an essay for like 3 hours.
Start yourself a thread in Smeargle's Studio and share some of your writing! Tag me in the original post and I'll be sure to follow the thread :)

• What do you like to write?: I mostly write Science-Fiction or Fantasy (for YA) but I'm slowly branching out to poetry and the occasional song :)
  • Are you working on a current project?: I'm currently writing an entire book titled "Spirit Earthen." It's coming along very well, but I'm trying to have over 200 pages (minimum) in the next few months. I've hardly gotten any work done yet though. I think I have around 100-120 pages done? I wish that I had more but I haven't gotten the time :( I don't plan on getting this published for another few years, but at one point it would be lovely to have it formally done.
  • What got you interested in writing?: This is actually kind of comical, but one of my exes that I couldn't ever get along with got me into writing. As much as I may hate him now, he gave me the right kind of exposure and I'm very grateful for that.
  • Are you branching out? I'm in a few writing classes here and there at college, but mostly I'm trying to get my degree first (Chemistry/Biology.) Writing is more of a freetime thing :)
  • Do you have a method?: I attempt to get around 4-5 pages a day done, but I'm weird so I only write outdoors. Which definitely plays a role, since it's usually bitter cold in Wales, and in England.
  • Favorites: Edgar Allen Poe is my favorite poet <3 He was a truly amazing man! My favorite type of music is hardcore rock (...) And my favorite colours are Blue and Orange :) Love them!
  • Misc: I'm from Wales, but I attend Oxford so I live in England. I've sold an article to a newspaper around my hometown, but that was when I was younger. I'm currently 19, but I'm progressing nicely with life! I'm a twin, and that totally affects my stories. I'm reading "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King at the moment! (Along with countless others..) Oh, and my name is Jædën. But just call me Jay! Nice to meet y'all :D

Last edited:
Reactions: EV
I write poetry regularly, which I share on my blog. Link here if someone wants to check out. :) Personally, this is the poem I'm closest to, emotionally (also a nostalgic Pokemon reference towards the end)

(slightly preoccupied with stuff so I'll fill out the template later if that's a necessity.)

• What do you like to write?: I haven't had much of a chance to write as much as I'd like to lately (*cough, cough* school *cough, cough*), but I'm big on poetry. For me, it's incredibly satisfying to be able to express an infinite emotion in a concise, yet artful guise. I'm also a fan of persuasive essays and editorial work, as I enjoy an opportunity to vent my opinions (who doesn't?) and put my thoughts down in a clear prose. As a person who has substantial difficulty explaining my thoughts satisfactorily off the top of my head, or in spontaneous, verbal communication rather, writing aids tremendously in flushing the clutter out of my mind and keeping my stresses at bay.
  • Are you working on a current project?: My projects are typically small and quick to complete. Usually these include individual poems, essays, or stories. I rarely share my work because of a lack of similarly interested friends combined with the highly personal nature of most of my writing, so I hope to be able to share more of it.
  • What got you interested in writing?: Uhh, this is a really difficult question for me to answer. I've been writing for basically as long as I can remember. I do know that I was a sedulous and enthusiastic reader as a child; my dad used to sit me up in his lap in his recliner and read to me, and I apparently learned to read by memorizing verbatim the Disney classics he would read to me and eventually associating markings on a page with words, sounds, phrases, etc. At least, that's how the story goes. I'm unsure of the degree of linguistic skills that I learned in this way, but I do remember being terribly bored in preschool, and begging my cross kindergarten teacher every day from the first day of school to let me read. And ever since I've been able to read, I've enjoyed writing.
  • Are you branching out?: I'm currently in high school, so it's difficult for me to a) locate opportunities and b) manage school among extracurricular pursuits; consequently, I have not found myself involved in any writers' circles or cool clubs or anything like that. I do sometimes entertain my friends with my work. I am in the process of entering a couple of national writing contests presently in the hopes of winning some moolah from the lucrative top cash prizes as well as personal pride (and maybe a good thing to put on a college app).
  • Do you have a method?: I really try to avoid confining myself to a specific 'method' or 'standard' of writing; for some people this may help with the creative process, but for me it only hinders it. I try to leave my opportunities at writing as open-ended as possible, and I figure out what my work is going to be as it comes along. I do have a couple of ways to help me process my thoughts, though. One thing that always helps me is to be alone and listen to some EDM or acoustic music. I then write down what comes to my head first, sort of like brain-spilling, and refine it as I see it take shape.
  • Favorites: I love Robert Frost. He writes in a way that reminds me of myself.
  • Misc: I live in the continental US. I haven't tried to make money off of my work yet-- I'm more casual-- but I hope to start a blog soon and possibly publish a piece on an event I attended with a community service campaign in the local paper.

• What do you like to write?: All manor of things, i'm a very relaxed person, I will never go into a "non-fiction" phase, that stuff is dull and boring.
  • Are you working on a current project?: I'm working on a personal project on the name of one of the owners from the "Writing Room" in Showdown. (XTheElegantShadowX) when coming up with ideas I was thinking about the sweet Pokemon Lilligant and how it was Elegant and even sounded like TES' name. When I was still trying to connect I thought it would be awesome to note that Shadow is a part of the name and how this Lilligant could have two personality's and so the whole story will be based on juxtaposition!
  • What got you interested in writing?: Literally, one day, I turned round and said, "I'm going to write a book!" and I did and forever have I loved writing!
  • Are you branching out?: I am unfortunately not going any further than little projects for writing since when I leave school in a few years time I want to train to become an R.E. Teacher (RE = Religious Education). I do however try my best at helping out in the "Writing Room" over at PS!
  • Do you have a method?: I'm a very relaxed and casual writer, I write when I want however I want.
  • Favorites: My favorite type of books would have to be Sci-Fi, since being a massive Doctor Who fan can lead me to love the universe we live in and it also drags in many mystery's!
  • Misc: I live in England on the North East coast (Norfolk), I will never want to become official purely because I want a quiet life. I don't wish to become famous or rich. I just want to do what I love and that is to share my knowledge with others, and the best way is to teach. Right now I am reading the "Chaos Walking" book series by Patrick Ness. The series is three books long and i'm on the final book. The books include; The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask of an Answer and Monsters of Men
I look forward to reading what others have to say and so on, so. Yeah! HIII! n-n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)