Xbox 360 Kinect (and dashboard update)

AJers

Your typical e-wench
I thought it would be interesting to get general feedback on how everyone feels about the new "family friendly" direction Microsoft is taking the xbox with the kinect feature and moving in to compete with the wii. Do you think they're going to make much of a dent in the wii's market, especially considering the types of games they usually offer (Halo is the only big game that is exclusive for Xbox; as far as I know Mario is exclusive to Nintendo products and comes with a pretty big family-backing).

At first I was pretty excited about the dancing game that is coming out with kinect, but I'm still going to wait out the reviews and to see what other games are going to come out with it as well (none of the other games kinect has on display have any of my interest spiked).

As a side note: I'm not sure if I'm just super old and set in my ways and getting to a point in my life where I absolutely hate change... But does anyone else hate the new xbox dashboard that rolled out with the kinect update? I know, it really doesn't matter. I never really mess around with it that much so I can't even honestly say that it effects me THAT much, but seriously. What is up with all of the BLINDING white that has somehow puked all over my screen? [/end rant]

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Had my internet unplugged since my live ran out, and I'm just going through the tutorial now. Jesus fucking christ is it made for retards? Why did they release the whole "nxe" bullshit last year if they are just going to change it again now?

As for motion controls... meh. They are gimmicky at this point in time, so hopefully companies can realize this and do something productive.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought it would be interesting to get general feedback on how everyone feels about the new "family friendly" direction Microsoft is taking the xbox with the kinect feature and moving in to compete with the wii. Do you think they're going to make much of a dent in the wii's market, especially considering the types of games they usually offer (Halo is the only big game that is exclusive for Xbox; as far as I know Mario is exclusive to Nintendo products and comes with a pretty big family-backing).
It'll sell, but it won't sell like Microsoft would hope. The strategy with the Wii was that it could be approached by anybody. If it went any other way, it would have flopped. Microsoft has figured out the move they need to make to sell Kinects (And if they're smart enough, push the 360 Ses being compatible with Kinect out of the box) to the masses. Basically, Disney. When they clinched Disney, they clinched ABC, ESPN (Which there was already a deal with recently), and all other subsidiaries with it.

Microsoft can still deal with the hardcore based since essentially most games that aren't on XBLA are FPSes.

AJers said:
At first I was pretty excited about the dancing game that is coming out with kinect, but I'm still going to wait out the reviews and to see what other games are going to come out with it as well (none of the other games kinect has on display have any of my interest spiked).
Well, it does come with a game when it's purchased. So if reviews don't go the way you want to, you can always have that and wait things out. Boy howdy knows how much everyone wants Kinectimals. But that's not the boxed-in game.

AJers said:
As a side note: I'm not sure if I'm just super old and set in my ways and getting to a point in my life where I absolutely hate change... But does anyone else hate the new xbox dashboard that rolled out with the kinect update? I know, it really doesn't matter. I never really mess around with it that much so I can't even honestly say that it effects me THAT much, but seriously. What is up with all of the BLINDING white that has somehow puked all over my screen? [/end rant]
It's flat. I don't like this new interface, it feels like a major downgrade from the old one. Plus, I've been receiving RRoD basic errors, though not frequent. Never had them before. Plus, for some reason, my 360 S is heating up faster. I noticed this while playing Fable 3, when some of the layers of graphics started disappearing. Then again, I think the game needs another patch. Too bad I can't find anything from XBL.

VirtualKaraokeCircusAct said:
Had my internet unplugged since my live ran out, and I'm just going through the tutorial now. Jesus fucking christ is it made for retards? Why did they release the whole "nxe" bullshit last year if they are just going to change it again now?
NXE was the acronym for the previous major dashboard update. The one that was just superseded by the Kinect's dashboard update.

I'm the only person who plays games at my house. My siblings don't want to act like jackasses in front of the tv and there are no games that I want to play standing up and moving around. When I'm playing a game I want to relax. I find it weird that most of Nintendo, who is the company that introduced us to all this interactive crap, has their main games this year (SMG2, Metroid, Kirby, DK) not taking advantage of the waggle functionality.

I plan on doing a full review for Kinect on Tuesday (today is my work-week Monday so I'm SOL until then, frickin' Microsoft), so I'll hold my impressions until then. However I do want to comment on the dashboard. For the record I use the dashboard a lot. I actually like the change, it's a lot nicer and more organized. Finally the Spotlight and Inside Xbox catagories are both together beneath My Xbox, so Game Marketplace is right above it. Also, I just found out I can log into messenger without it logging out on my computer. The whiteness of the layout didn't really affect me, though this might be a result of my theme. The change in sound effects is nice, it's weird that such a subtle change can make the dashboard that much more welcoming. The guide button and its functions also respond much faster, which is great for me because I use it so much. The dashboard overall immediately felt more casual/family friendly (I do not think this is a bad thing), which was the purpose of the update so mission accomplished. My only complaint is that I get a little nauseous when fast scrolling with RB, something that didn't happen with the old dashboard.

I agree with Sonuis that Kinect won't sell like Microsoft expects but I believe it will sell better than everybody else expects (most sources I've read expect it to fail at launch).

Sonuis said:
Plus, for some reason, my 360 S is heating up faster. I noticed this while playing Fable 3, when some of the layers of graphics started disappearing. Then again, I think the game needs another patch.
I'm pretty sure this is a probem with Fable 3, the same thing happens to me when playing Fable 3 but Force Unleashed 2 runs just fine for example. Installing the game helps the console somewhat, but the graphics issue is still present.

VKCA said:
I'm just going through the tutorial now. Jesus fucking christ is it made for retards? Why did they release the whole "nxe" bullshit last year if they are just going to change it again now?
I take it you've never upgraded the operating system of a computer :/ The new OS has no way of knowing that you're experienced with an Xbox, so for all it knows you're playing on a brand new system. So yes, the tutorial is "made for retards." This happens on computers, phones, etc.

InfamousNose said:
My siblings don't want to act like jackasses in front of the tv
Comments like this bother me to no end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)