Xurkitree Discussion

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
... forgot about Stealth Rock.

But well, it does need Tail Glow to get past Chansey, which takes the risk of finding a turn to use it.
True, but teams with Chansey are usually full stall, which makes it very easy to find turns. Stall teams simply can not afford to risk keeping in their Skarmory or whatever, so a Tail Glow is all but guaranteed.

Don't forget that eviolite is nerfed, so stall would probably use blissey.
+6 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 1328-1565 (185.9 - 219.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This thing needs to go

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
IVs: 0 or 30 Atk / 30 Def
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice
Note:
-Outspeed Scarf Adamant Landorus-T and OHKO it with HP Ice

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
True, but teams with Chansey are usually full stall, which makes it very easy to find turns. Stall teams simply can not afford to risk keeping in their Skarmory or whatever, so a Tail Glow is all but guaranteed.
With the Unaware nerf - Stall will apparently be less prominent.
Anywho - I think Tail Glow is just being greedy, especially considering this thing is just a weaker Special Electric Mega Mawile with a slightly less awkward speed tier.

Has anyone thought about a SubSalac Tail Glow set?

Xurkitree @ Salac Berry
EVs 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IV: 0 Atk / 30 Def (if using HP Ice)
- Substitute
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot

4 HP EV makes its HP stat divisible by four so that you only need three Subs instead of four to activate its Salac Berry. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Oh and speaking about Berries, will they all be available in Gen7?

Not a big fan of Xurkitree. It screams Rampardos stat wise: Monstrous Attack, meh everything else. At least Xurk's Speed isn't complete trash. Getting Tail Glow is pretty ridiculous, though it isn't doing much against offense unless you run Scarf, which means you forfeit Tail Glow which is too good to pass up. Coverage wise, very meh but with that Special Attack it can dent many Pokemon that resist electric.

If Unaware got nerfed which is starting to not be true, Xurkitree demolishes stall after one Tail Glow Boost. Even if Unaware remains viable, Xurkitree is serious threat to Stall once Clefable is out of the picture. Quag just gets blown with Energy Ball which is bound to be a staple on Xurkitree due to the lack of options.

Even with Scarf, it's a bit slow and will get outspeed by fast megas. 83/71/71 defenses are bad. It gets destroyed by strong neutral hits and being an Electric type is bah providing not very useful resistances. Ground types not weak to grass probably pose the biggest threat to Xurkitree. They block Volt Switch forcing Choiced sets to switch and can tank your coverage moves. Nidoqueen comes to mind, easily tanking non boosted neutral hits and SE Hidden Power before dispatching it with Earth Power.

An Electric-type with a Sleep-inducing move (Hypnosis)? That's so rare!
Accuracy aside, Xurkitree could catch the usual Electric-type switch-ins off guard with this move, especially considering that opponents would probably take a defensive approach to dealing with such high Sp. Attack.

Gliscor is probably the biggest issue for Xurk, it can carry HP ice of course, but Gliscor can easily switch in on an electric attack. Outspeeds all but scarf (which is likely locked into an electric move if you got in on it) and will threaten OHKO pretty much no matter what. Same with Excadrill, same with Lando and buffed Dugtrio doesn't even threaten an OHKO, it will deliver it every time. These aren't exactly niche counters. Hypnosis is a cute trick but carrying it means you're giving up coverage. You can't pass it speed in OU and it has no priority so there's no way it can actually pull off a sweep after setting up due to being slower than even many defensive pokemon. I doubt this will be banned at any stage of OU unless Dugtrio gets banned.

That all being said I think it'll have viability as a scarfed volt switch pivot in both OU (though again, Dugtrio is very capable of punishing misplays, switching into a predicted volt switch, trapping and getting a free kill) and battlespot. People will try speed passing to tail glow variants in battlespot but I still think Espeon is the king/queen of pass receiving due to magic bounce and STAB stored power.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Electric Tree God

It can do its best Hoopa impression and blow stuff up, but Electric's nowhere near as good as Dark as an offensive type and its coverage is pretty limited .

Something like:

T-Bolt / HP Ice / Volt Switch / Dazzling Gem or Energy Ball

Seems pretty good. I think Scarf will be its best set, since its offensive pressure seems incredibly high (though it falls 3 points short of outspeeding Mega zam noooo). Lord help you if this lands a kill, because it's just going to clean up.

It (probably) won't be Uber due to Electric being a hard type to spam. Tail Glow sets will be there to just completely dunk on stall. And I thought Manaphy was a pain in the ass~

Last edited:
I think Dugtrio on stall will go a long way to keeping this thing in check, especially since Dugtrio seems so good this generation. Xurkitree in general seems weaker to trappers than the other Tail Glow stall destroyer, Manaphy, so it really might not be that detrimental to stall. If you lose your trapper though, prepare for pain.

I think Dugtrio on stall will go a long way to keeping this thing in check, especially since Dugtrio seems so good this generation. Xurkitree in general seems weaker to trappers than the other Tail Glow stall destroyer, Manaphy, so it really might not be that detrimental to stall. If you lose your trapper though, prepare for pain.
Yeah I think it comes down to prediction though, if rocks are out and Duggy can't rely on his focus sash to protect him from an OHKO, a predicted switch in and energy ball will annihilate him, if they choose to tail glow they will get outsped and OHKO'd and if rocks aren't up it doesn't matter, Dugtrio is just an automatic KO on him no matter what move he uses (unless you're willing to roll the dice on hypnosis).

But if you're willing to sack something to bring Dugtrio in for a revenge kill there is nothing that Xurk can really do to save itself. Lower bulk and slightly less favorable typing ensure that it should remain manageable.

Also 83 speed is actually kinda something to laugh at on an offensive pokemon with no bulk or priority in OU.

The name of its competitive set should be called Boost Mobile lmao

Xurkitree is going to be the face of Baton Pass teams too.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about a SubSalac Tail Glow set?

Xurkitree @ Salac Berry
EVs 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IV: 0 Atk / 30 Def (if using HP Ice)
- Substitute
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot

4 HP EV makes its HP stat divisible by four so that you only need three Subs instead of four to activate its Salac Berry. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Oh and speaking about Berries, will they all be available in Gen7?
I think HP no longuer is based on Ivs.

While I have no idea what tier either Xurkitree or Alolan Marowak (who I'm borderline obsessed with) will end up in, I found it mildly interesting that Alolan Marowak with Lightning Rod is basically a hard stop to any set Xurkitree will try to run, bar one with a super-effective HP. The best thing it has is Energy Ball.

Alolan Marowak can OHKO easy with Bonemarang/Earthquake (I changed the typing so lack of STAB is included):
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 460-544 (124.3 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Scarf set with +1 from Beast Boost:
+1 252+ SpA Xurkitree Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak: 120-142 (37 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Marowak could even come in and revenge kill Xurkitree after a Tail Glow

Tail Glow wallbreaker set with extra +1 from Beast Boost:
+4 252+ SpA Xurkitree Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak: 240-283 (74 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bonemarang also counters the Substitute set posted above.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
While I have no idea what tier either Xurkitree or Alolan Marowak (who I'm borderline obsessed with) will end up in, I found it mildly interesting that Alolan Marowak with Lightning Rod is basically a hard stop to any set Xurkitree will try to run, bar one with a super-effective HP. The best thing it has is Energy Ball.

Alolan Marowak can OHKO easy with Bonemarang/Earthquake (I changed the typing so lack of STAB is included):
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 460-544 (124.3 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Scarf set with +1 from Beast Boost:
+1 252+ SpA Xurkitree Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak: 120-142 (37 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Marowak could even come in and revenge kill Xurkitree after a Tail Glow

Tail Glow wallbreaker set with extra +1 from Beast Boost:
+4 252+ SpA Xurkitree Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak: 240-283 (74 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bonemarang also counters the Substitute set posted above.
Why you're firing Energy Ball at a fire type, I will never know...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)