Pokémon Xurkitree

Status
Not open for further replies.
jesus fucking christ this thing hits hard

i've seen this being run as both a wallbreaker with tail glow and a scarfed pivot with volt switch and it's probably a top threat i think
+3 252+ SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 255-301 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252+ SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 495-583 (77.1 - 90.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock <- look at this fucking shit, what are you gonna do

i've also been running alolan marowak and it seems to work pretty well to check it though

Last edited:
How about a set with Electric Terrain?
Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Electric Terrain
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam/Volt Switch/Substitute
- Grass Knot/Energy Ball

What makes this set is that Z-Electric terrain boosts speed +1. The added speed allows it to get in few more thunderbolts before getting hit, and in electric terrain Thunderbolt hits like a nuke.
This set certainly needs a lot of support-it's really best as a late-game sweeper once its checks are removed- but if it can set up properly it can blow holes in opponents.
If paired with a team that can handle ground types and Markow-A, I could even see monoattacking set of Sub/E-Terrain/Tail Glow/Thunderbolt playing a niche role.

How about a set with Electric Terrain?
Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Electric Terrain
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam/Volt Switch/Substitute
- Grass Knot/Energy Ball

What makes this set is that Z-Electric terrain boosts speed +1. The added speed allows it to get in few more thunderbolts before getting hit, and in electric terrain Thunderbolt hits like a nuke.
This set certainly needs a lot of support-it's really best as a late-game sweeper once its checks are removed- but if it can set up properly it can blow holes in opponents.
If paired with a team that can handle ground types and Markow-A, I could even see monoattacking set of Sub/E-Terrain/Tail Glow/Thunderbolt playing a niche role.
Eh, I think you're better off running Tapu koko along side a scarf'd set than relying on a terrain setter. It will rarely have a safe set up turn and if your opponent has one of its hard walls (trust me there's a lot in OU) it loses it's +1 for the rest of the match on the switch.

i've been running a z-hypnosis xurkitree in conjunction with an unaware soak pyukumuku in battle tree (which I know is no indicator of metagame potential) but the appeal imo is amazing because those switching out of being water type run the risk of encountering a switch to a max speed xurkitree with hypnosis. with 252 invested in speed he's suprisingly fast, and with a hypnosis speed boost he's a solid 400-410 speed which is stellar for something throwing t-bolts from behind a 173 sp.atk stat with the reward of beast boost (not to mention hypnosis, which i find to be fairly reliable). also xurkitree serves to switch into electric type moves aimed at pyukumuku.

the xurkitree set is:

Xurkitree w/ Psychium Z
252SPE/252SPA/4HP Modest
- Hypnosis
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
(btw anything effected by soak is either a definite switch or an unfortunate death to x2 thunderbolt, xurkitree is also 100% safe to switch in due to pyukumuku's slow baton pass. also feel free to run psych up on the pyukumuku for increased shenanigans)

is there any merit to running tail glow on xurki?

from my experience, whenever i run something that isn't scarf i get outsped and two-shot

feels like beast boost lets it snowball anyways, scarf seems like the perfect item

is there any merit to running tail glow on xurki?

from my experience, whenever i run something that isn't scarf i get outsped and two-shot

feels like beast boost lets it snowball anyways, scarf seems like the perfect item
I Guess that TG is really good against stall, it seems To KO/2KO everything on it. Can't calc cause i'm on The phone, but if This thing can KO amoogus With a +3 HP, it's definitely going to have a niche as a strong stallbreaker

I Guess that TG is really good against stall, it seems To KO/2KO everything on it. Can't calc cause i'm on The phone, but if This thing can KO amoogus With a +3 HP, it's definitely going to have a niche as a strong stallbreaker
+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 436-514 (101.1 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (current ORAS spread)
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 439-517 (101.8 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (worst-case scenario)

As we can see from this, after a single Tail Glow, Xurkitree simply demolishes slow builds and actually OHKOes what are supposed to be Electric-type checks on those builds (Amoonguss, Quagsire, SpDef Hippowdon, M-Venusaur (needs prior damage, which is frankly quite easy), Toxapex, etc.).

I'm pretty damn glad I resetted over and over again to get my own HP Ice Timid Xurkitree! Ü

Xurkitree's base speed is pretty damn disappointing. Otherwise, Xurkitree would have been a big threat to teams. I'm not a fan of the scarf set. Seems pretty mediocre with the limited coverage options it gets not to mention it's still slow for a scarfer. Z-Hypnosis + Tail Glow is the way to go. Even with Hypnosis's garbage accuracy, it can hit and put something out of commission while you gain a precious +1 Speed. Then proceed to Boost with Tail Glow and sweep while your opponent likely swaps out.

Tree is probably going to be BL or UU due to it's meh speed. Especially if Dugtrio and A-Marowak are popular enough in OU. Which are two big thorns to Xurkitree.

Xurkitree's base speed is pretty damn disappointing.
83 base Spe is more than enough to outspeed many walls and tanks in the OU environment, so SubTG sets are crazingly good at dismantling stall or semi-stall thanks to its focused SpA. In this case even a basic LO
Offensive teams are a problem, though, but you have another 5 teammates for this.

Xurkitree's base speed is pretty damn disappointing. Otherwise, Xurkitree would have been a big threat to teams. I'm not a fan of the scarf set. Seems pretty mediocre with the limited coverage options it gets not to mention it's still slow for a scarfer. Z-Hypnosis + Tail Glow is the way to go. Even with Hypnosis's garbage accuracy, it can hit and put something out of commission while you gain a precious +1 Speed. Then proceed to Boost with Tail Glow and sweep while your opponent likely swaps out.

Tree is probably going to be BL or UU due to it's meh speed. Especially if Dugtrio and A-Marowak are popular enough in OU. Which are two big thorns to Xurkitree.
i hate people with this logic that if a pokemon speed is crap, it's not good

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Generally, if its defences are also crap, it's not good. I'm struggling to think of any exceptions really.

That said, Xurkitree is not that bad. At +1 Spe, it's quite fast. Probably not enough to run through most teams, but still.

Z-Hypnosis is absolutely ridiculous. Quite a lot of teams seem to have nothing to stop you sweeping at +3/+1. Even when there is something to stop you, putting something to sleep isn't half bad; Hypnosis helps to stop you being total dead weight. I ended up using regular Hypnosis quite a lot too.

Scarf set is also OK but it has big problems with Marowak. I think it may actually be best to run a strange Hidden Power just for Marowak. I was thinking for a second that this might be the first time to deliberately use HP Dark, but of course HP Water would actually be much better as it hits Lando/Drill:

252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Water vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 136-160 (41.9 - 49.3%)

Not bad.

I've tried playing a bit with Scarf Xurkitree and it feels really awful right now. With Dugtrio being all over and Tapu Koko forcing people to run solid electric checks, being locked into a single attack seriously hurts. I don't think it has any really good matchups, either. It's not going to be cleaning against balance or stall, or at least not to the point where something else could do it better, and if your opponent is packing a ground type you're almost entirely reliant on hitting the HP Ice / Grass Knot on the switch in order to get anything done, otherwise you're conceding all momentum and getting totally blocked. Offense is more susceptible to this sort of set but even then, Xurkitree's lack of bulk or meaningful resistances means it isn't getting far before getting revenge killed, and the fact that you can't outrun Scarf Genesect or +0 Pheromosa is just awful when they're offensive staples at this point. Scarf Xurkitree is like the Scarf Moxie Salamence of this generation. It looks really good on paper but is so reliant on getting common checks out of the way before snowballing that it's barely worth running as a wincon. At least Xurk still has access to Volt Switch in matchups where the check isn't a ground type.

I'm going to be playing with Sub Xurk next. It does cause a lot of switches, and I feel like the extra protection from status / damage / revenge killers is awesome for something like this. It actually does allow you to snowball pretty heavily, and you can even take advantage of everyone running Toxapex since it usually doesn't break your sub (and a little investment guarantees the sub's survival). TG + Sub and Sub + 3 attacks both seem interesting, though I'm thinking Sub + 3 might be the better of the two right now. Being able to bait things like Quagsire and Hippowdon into a Grass Knot is a really good way to get the ball rolling.

I really wonder why no one is running double dance with TG + Z-Ele Terrain aka Waterium Manaphy. It's makes for the same set that Manaphy is having success with, and even if it isn't as bulky as Manaphy, it is still enough to set up

Speed is the most important stat in Pokemon. I didn't say Xurk is terrible. It sits in an awkward speed tier and can't take hits well due to it's lackluster defenses and D-Typing. I can see Xurkitree destroying Stall teams that don't have a Dugtrio to trap it once the opposing team is a bit weakened. It will struggle against offense because it gets dispatched easily and has little opportunities to use Z-Hypnosis.

The choice between this 'mon and Tapu Koko depends on if you're going hyper offense or not. Xurkitree far outstrips Tapu Koko in sheer offensive power, but Tapu Koko is the fastest electric type introduced in SM and one of the fastest electric types in the game. TBH, I cannot see Xurkitree on a Trick Room team. That honor would have to go to Vikavolt. Tapu Koko doesn't have too much coverage to combat ground types, whereas Xurkitree gets access to Power Whip. He'll definitely make a dent in Pokemon that resist his moves with that terrifying base 173 Sp. Atk. I could also see a troll team with Gravity and Zap Cannon. That could work :P

The Z-hypnosis with 2 attacks setup is super disgusting late game. Just use hypnosis on a pokemon that he can oddly outspeed and just proceed to end the game easy. Or if the team is worn down then he can sweep provided he has good enough coverage in his two attacks. I opt for thunderbolt/energy ball as that coverage handles what all should be left by the time he is sent out, if the opponent is playing right. It's stupid good.

Yeah, Xurk + Tapu Koko in Doubles will be a very deadly combination. Now, there might be an argument to be made for a Timid Choice Scarf Xurkitree. It'd have around 222 Speed at Level 50 (which the VGC rules are set to) or 436 Speed at Level 100, which, while not enough to outspeed a Choice Scarf Landorus-T, is most certainly a respectable speed for Sweeping Pokemon, especially Xurkitree thanks to that sweet, sweet Beast Boost essentially giving it a Moxie but for Special Attack. Of course, there's the awkwardness of Marowak, but that's really besides the point. You can still run Energy Ball for Kantonian Marowak, and you can just use Thunderbolt as per usual for Alolan Marowak. Rather amazing, if I say so myself. Probably gonna end up in OU due to the speed not being good enough to give it that slight extra push it needs, but still gonna be an incredible force to be reckoned with.

Standard Marowak doesn't see usage in OU, and Alolan Marowak almost always uses Lightning Rod. If you're having Marowak problems, I suggest you try a Pursuit Pokemon.

The choice between this 'mon and Tapu Koko depends on if you're going hyper offense or not. Xurkitree far outstrips Tapu Koko in sheer offensive power, but Tapu Koko is the fastest electric type introduced in SM and one of the fastest electric types in the game. TBH, I cannot see Xurkitree on a Trick Room team. That honor would have to go to Vikavolt. Tapu Koko doesn't have too much coverage to combat ground types, whereas Xurkitree gets access to Power Whip. He'll definitely make a dent in Pokemon that resist his moves with that terrifying base 173 Sp. Atk. I could also see a troll team with Gravity and Zap Cannon. That could work :P
Actually this is kinda wrong in a vacuum
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 91-108 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- 91.5% chance to 4HKO
+1 252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 153-180 (40 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 45-54 (11.7 - 14.1%) -- possible 8HKO

252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 156-184 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Xurkitree Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 93-110 (24.3 - 28.7%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 70-83 (18.3 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO

Basically Xurkitree is a full 50-60% stronger than Tapu Koko, but on its own the only move that it deals a noticable amount of more damage with compared to Tapu Koko is Hidden Power. The rest, it pretty much does the same

Also Xurkitree should be "better" than Vikavolt in Trick Room. The key component of what make Trick Room team works is its worth it in Trick Room. Theres a good reason why the most dominant Trick Room Sweeper of all time have 100 Base Speed - and the reason for that is as simple as saying its strong and it learns trick room.

I was about to suggest running with a +Spe max invested set with minimal SpA investment to insure speed boosts on kills but... I didn't realize just how high its SpA actually was until I tried to do a calc >.>

Glad I actually tried that one out before I opened my big mouth and made a fool of myself in my virgin post. Even with a negative nature and absolutely zero investment, his SpA is still too high. What a hero.

Well, so that idea doesn't actually pan out, how about a Normalium-Z Hyper Beam set?

Xurkitree
Item: Normalium-Z
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Modest/Timid

-Hyper Beam
-Zap CannonDischarge/Thunder/Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
-Energy Ball/Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Ice/Dazzling Gleam

I mean, most of those moves are negotiable, and it still gets walled by A-Marowak, but what doesn't at this point, honestly? Discharge trades 10 power for potential paralyzes, potentially allowing him to outspeed pokes that he wouldn't otherwise, but you can run thunderbolt just as easily, or thunder in a rain team. Energy Ball or Grass Knot cover the same types but different pokes more or less effectively depending on weight (y'all know how it works). HP Ice and Dazzling Gleam are just bonus coverage moves.

252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 261-308 (60.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 278-328 (77.8 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 221-261 (62.7 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 276-325 (65.7 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-Therian: 289-341 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 172-203 (47.6 - 56.2%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manectric: 367-432 (130.6 - 153.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-Therian: 289-341 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

*Edit: turns out I forgot to switch to a more beneficial nature after checking to see if you could raise Spe using a negative SpA nature, whoops.

If you can get a good switch on something that doesn't want to take a STAB thunderbolt or whatever doesn't resist Xurkitree's more common coverage, you can do a pretty good chunk to anybody who tries to make a predicted switch-in to absorb an attack, effectively neutering most of the pokes that will switch in on it. This might be especially effective on pokes running Lightning Rod in the hopes of getting a boost on a scarfed/specs set.

I think there's always merit in running something unexpected, because it allows you to take advantage of complacency. Besides the Breakneck Blitz, the set is more or less the same, so even if you switch Xurkitree in an out occasionally to harass, there won't really be anyway for your opponent to know if you happen to be running this specific variant, if they're even thinking about it at all in the first place.

I mean, if you can dismantle a priority target or seriously injure a wall with no reliable way to recover, you don't even need to stay in if/when you get the Beast Boost, because Xurkitree will have already done its job at that point.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
252- SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 261-308 (60.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
It appears you did your calcs wrong, and used Jolly (which reduces special attack/raises speed) instead of Timid (which reduces attack/raises speed). I redid this one and got
252 SpA Xurkitree Breakneck Blitz vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 291-343 (67.5 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
So Breakneck Blitz does even more damage than you originally thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)