OU Xurkitree

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

QC 3/3 (p2, DennisEG, PK Gaming)
GP 1/1 (The Dutch Plumberjack)
[OVERVIEW]
* Xurkitree is an absurdly strong wallbreaker, capable of breaking even through the sturdiest foes, including Chansey, Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn.
* It can also sweep teams using the Z-Electric Terrain or Z-Hypnosis set.
* Because of its frailness, it doesn't like to switch into any attack and is easy to revenge kill.
* Setting up is difficult due to Xurkitree's low defensive stats, so it needs a lot of defensive support. The presence of Alolan Marowak, Ground-types and Dugtrio makes it hard to bring it in or attack.
* Xurkitree struggles to carve a niche for itself in the tier because of its lessened effectiveness against offensive teams when compared to other breakers in the tier.
[SET]
name: Tail Glow
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Tail Glow
move 3: Energy Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground
item: Electrium-Z
ability: Beast Boost
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
* +3 Gigavolt Havoc breaks past any Pokemon; Chansey has a chance to be OHKOed after Stealth Rock and a bit of prior damage, while Venusaur, Amoonguss, Unaware Clefable, and Ferrothorn get OHKOed.
* Even without Electrium-Z, Tail Glow-boosted Thunderbolt and other coverage moves will damage defensive teams heavily.
* Energy Ball hits bulky Ground-types, while being a middle ground option for Ground / Flying types and Water-types.
* Hidden Power Ice allows Xurkitree to hit Ground / Flying types like Landorus-T for a 4x super effective hit if they dare switch in predicting Thunderbolt while also damaging Grass-types and Dragon-types such as Latios.
* Hidden Power Ground allows Xurkitree to OHKO Alolan Marowak, specially defensive Excadrill (half the time), and Magnezone after a Tail Glow boost.

Set Details
========
* A Timid nature with maximum Speed investment lets Xurkitree outspeed up to base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Gyarados, Buzzwole, and neutral natured Kyurem-B.
* Maximum Special Attack investment allows Xurkitree to hit as hard as possible when breaking foes with Gigavolt Havoc, while Beast Boost increases its Special Attack by one stage if it gets a kill.

Usage Tips
========

* Try to bring Xurkitree into the battle safely on a predicted switch or through team support with U-turn or Volt Switch.
* Set up with Tail Glow when there is an opening and attack with Gigavolt Havoc to break past its checks to damage defensive teams fatally.
* Especially against stall with Dugtrio, it has to be played extremely carefully, since it will probably be the wincon.

Team Options
========
* Pokemon that share similar checks such as Tapu Koko, Keldeo, and Manaphy can be paired with it; Xurkitree breaks and then they sweep. Notable examples of foes Xurkitree can break down for them are specially defensive walls such as Chansey and Grass-types such as Venusaur and Amoonguss.
* Latios, Mantine, Landorus-T and other Pokemon that resist or are immune to Ground help deal with its only weakness in case of a misprediction with Thunderbolt.
* Xurkitree needs a lot of defensive support due to its low stats and to remedy its frailness; bulky Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Garchomp, Water-types such as Toxapex, and Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth can sponge strong attacks for it.
* Volt Switch or U-turn support from Pokemon like Rotom-W and Landorus-T is appreciated to bring Xurkitree in safely. Ideally, Xurkitree should never take a hit.
* Entry hazard support is useful; Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes bring Chansey in range of +3 Gigavolt Havoc from Timid Xurkitree. Landorus-T can set up Stealth Rock while sponging physical hits and providing a Ground immunity.
* Memento from Pokemon like Dugtrio and Latios or dual screen support makes it easier to set up or take hits while Xurkitree damages the opponent's team irreversibly.

[SET]
name: Z-move Sweeper
move 1: Electric Terrain / Hypnosis
move 2: Thunderbolt
item: Electrium Z / Psychium Z

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
* Electric Terrain turns into Z-Electric Terrain with Electrium Z, boosting Xurkitree's Speed by one stage, while also giving Electric-type attacks a +1 boost, which makes it easier for Xurkitree to sweep.
* Alternatively, Psychium Z allows Hypnosis to boost Xurkitree's Speed by one stage while potentially putting the opposing Pokemon to sleep.
* Thunderbolt is the only STAB option and hits very hard. Electrium Z can be used on this move to get off a strong one-time hit.
* Energy Ball hits Ground-types, which are immune to Electric.
* The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Ground is team dependent; Hidden Power Ice eliminates the likes of Landorus-T, Amoongus, and Latios whereas Hidden Power Ground targets Magnezone, Excadrill and Alolan Marowak, which otherwise check or counter Xurkitree.
Set Details
========
* Maximum Speed with a Timid nature is needed to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible at +1.
* The remaining EVs are put into Special Attack to hit as hard as possible, while Beast Boost raises its Special Attack by one stage after it gets a kill.

Usage Tips
========
* Sweeper Xurkitree is an effective surprise set that can catch opponents off guard; it is recommended to not reveal it until late-game if you wish to set up and sweep.
* Weaken its checks and counters with repeated whits to bring them in range of Xurkitree's attacks.
* Only take extremely weak attacks with it; instead use Volt Switch or U-turn or bait a Pokemon, that the opponent can't afford to lose to bring Xurkitree in without taking damage. On the opposing Pokemon's switch out or an attack which doesn't KO, use Z-Electric Terrain or Z-Hypnosis to boost Xurkitree's Speed. Then procees to sweep with every KO boosting its Special Attack by one stage.
* Electrium Z allows you to choose between the +1 Speed boost or a one-time Gigavolt Havoc. The Z-move can be chosen depending on the opponent's team: Gigavolt Havoc should be used to break a wall and Electric Terrain to sweep a weakened more offensive team.

Team Options
========
* Pokemon whose checks Xurkitree can set up on make for good partners; for example, Keldeo forces the opponent to keep their Water-type around.
* Latios, Mantine, and other Ground-immune and -resistant Pokemon help deal with its only weakness in case of a misprediction with Thunderbolt.
* Partners that help creating setup opportunities, for example Memento from the likes of Dugtrio and Latios or screen support makes it easier to find setup opportunities or take hits while sweeping.
* Tapu Koko sets up Electric Terrain, boosting Xurkitree's Electric STAB attacks while also having the option to run Brave Bird to dent Xurkitree's switchins.
* Entry hazard setters such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Klefki make for decent partners, as entry hazards wear down grounded Electric checks and bring them in rage of Xurkitree's coverage moves.
* Sticky Web allows Xurkitree to pressure teams that depend on fast Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp to deal with Electric-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Choice Scarf is an option as a sweeper that can potentially snowball, but early- and mid-game its use is very limited, and needs a lot of support. It also gets outsped by fast sweepers such as Mega Alakazam.
* Leftovers or Life Orb can be used on the Tail Glow set instead of a Z-crystal to boost its longevity or power, with the price of losing Gigavolt Havoc and its breaking capabilities.
* Expert Belt allows it to bluff a Choice item and may surprise the opponent.
* A Double Dance set with Hypnosis or Electric Terrain and Tail Glow with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice can be used, but it is inconsistent with Hypnosis's low accuracy. However, the Double Dance set with Electric Terrain needs two turns to be truly effective and due to Xurkitree's weak defenses it is almost impossible to get two turns to set up.
* Hidden Power Water hits Alolan Marowak, Landorus-T, and Excadrill super effectively, with the cost of not being able to damage Magnezone much.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-types can switch into Xurkitree's STAB attacks, causing a loss of momentum. Fast Landorus-T gains momentum with U-turn or just revenge kills it, Garchomp OHKOes it with Earthquake, Sand Rush Excadrill in sand and the defensive set give it trouble, and Dugtrio can trap and OHKO it.

**Special Walls**: Heavily specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Assault Vest users can switch into Xurkitree's unboosted attacks and beat it due to its bad defenses and lack of recovery options, but they still have to watch out for +3 Gigavolt Havoc.

**Grass- and Dragon-types**: Without Tail Glow boosts or the use of Gigavolt Havoc, Xurkitree is walled by Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth. Dragon-types such as Latios survive all of its attacks without a boost and can OHKO.

**Lightning Rod**: Alolan Marowak can easily take advantage of Xurkitree's Electric-type attacks.

**Strong Attacks**: Xurkitree's disappointing bulk leaves it vulnerable to even resisted attacks, especially from faster Pokemon.

[SET]
name: Scarf Snowball
move 2: Volt Switch
item: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Thunderbolt is the main STAB move with high base power and should be spammed whenever possible.
  • Volt Switch gains momentum while still doing good damage to resists because of Xurkitree's high base SpA.
  • Energy Ball hits Ground-types, which would resist Electric, for super effective damage, while doing neutral damage to Landorus.
  • Hidden Power Ice is used for Flying/Ground like the Landorus-I, Landorus-T and Garchomp, while HP Ground hits Lightning Rod Marowak.
Set Details
========
  • Max Speed with a timid nature is recommended as it outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible including base 80+ Pokemon like Mega Gyarados even at +1.
  • Max SpA investment makes sure Thunderbolt and its coverage options hit as hard as possible.
Usage Tips
========
  • It should be used to sweep after checks and counters have been taken care of
  • for a successful sweep with Thunderbolt, make sure Ground-types, especially Dugtrio because it traps and OHKOs Xurkitree, and Alolan Marowak are removed, since they take advantage of it being locked into Thunderbolt.
  • Other Pokemon of resisting types, for example Grass-types like Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Tapu Bulu should be weakend to the point where Thunderbolt kills them.
  • If Dugtrio, Alolan Morowak, or an other Ground-type are in the game, don't spam Eletric attacks mindlessly as they can cause an unrecoverable loss of momentum, especially in a tier with such a big number of threats.
  • If all its answers are taken care of, abuse Beast Boost and spam Thunderbolt, or other coverage options getting a +1 boost in SpA after every kill.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that deal with Ground-types and Eletric immunities like Marowak are appreciated.
  • bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini can switch into Marowak and Ground-types, while threatening them out.
  • Hazard setters such as Ferrothorn and Klefki make for decent partners as hazards wear down grounded Electric checks.
  • Ground immunities, such as Latios, Mantine and Landorus-T can switch into Ground moves, for example from Landorus-I, Landorus-T and Garchomp if Xurkitree is locked into Thunderbolt.
  • Tapu Koko sets up Electric Terrain, boosting Thunderbolt even more and can damage Grass-types with Brave Bird.

Last edited:

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can I suggest HP Water as a possibility? It's similar to HP Ground in that it hits A-Marowak and Excadrill, but it also hits Landorus super-effectively. This even opens up the possibility of two-move coverage with Z-Hypnosis and Tail Glow, or possibly allows running Dazzling Gleam to hit dragons instead of the grass move. The downside is that you no longer hit Magnezone well, which seems to be quite relevant this gen.

edit: Also is it worth mentioning another item like Life Orb (or Zap Plate or Leftovers or whatever is best) on the TG breaker set? The Z-move slot won't always be available and it seems you could get by without it here.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Electric Terrain gives +1 Speed. Tbolt / HP Ice / Electric Terrain / Tail Glow seems like a viable "double dance"

For the Z-Hypnosis sweeper you may want to sash Tail Glow. Since 60% of the time you will be putting you opponent to sleep that gives you the perfect opportunity to set up a Tail Glow. Combining these two moves together is a pretty evil combination and you can muscle your way past pokemon that even resist your coverage. For example:

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 249-293 (88.6 - 104.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 121-143 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can I suggest HP Water as a possibility? It's similar to HP Ground in that it hits A-Marowak and Excadrill, but it also hits Landorus super-effectively. This even opens up the possibility of two-move coverage with Z-Hypnosis and Tail Glow, or possibly allows running Dazzling Gleam to hit dragons instead of the grass move. The downside is that you no longer hit Magnezone well, which seems to be quite relevant this gen.

edit: Also is it worth mentioning another item like Life Orb (or Zap Plate or Leftovers or whatever is best) on the TG breaker set? The Z-move slot won't always be available and it seems you could get by without it here.
I'll mention HP Water in other options. I agree, Magnezone is used pretty often and Ground types can't take Energy Ball too well anyway.
I'm not so sure about an other item instead of Electrium-Z, since that actually gets rid of any of its checks if not immune, which is a pretty big deal, especially if you use typespam or overload certain defensive types: break Venusaur with +3 Gigavolt Havoc, sweep with Keldeo or Tapu Koko.
Electric Terrain gives +1 Speed. Tbolt / HP Ice / Electric Terrain / Tail Glow seems like a viable "double dance"
Ok, this is the alternative version of Z-Hypnosis, with the advantage of +1 on Electric stab , but with the disadvantage of having a higher chance to take a hit: In the Z-Hypnosis case, you may put the opposing mon asleep if it is slower, whereas with Electric Terrain, you're statistically more likely to get hit if they don't switch (e.g by Earthquake Celesteela). Xurkitree can't take any hit well, and hits very hard for a sweeper without boosts anyway, plus you only boost Thunderbolt, that's why I think the Z-Hypnosis set has a slight mathematical advantage here. I'll mention it in other option though.
For the Z-Hypnosis sweeper you may want to sash Tail Glow. Since 60% of the time you will be putting you opponent to sleep that gives you the perfect opportunity to set up a Tail Glow. Combining these two moves together is a pretty evil combination and you can muscle your way past pokemon that even resist your coverage. For example:

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 249-293 (88.6 - 104.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 121-143 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
But we will only hit 60% of the time, which is worrysome. So worst case scenario of your set would be: we don't hit Hypnosis, but miss a coverage move. Worst Case Scenario of Hidden Power used: Hypnosis not hit, but you can still hit with the coverage move. I'll add it to the options though.

Thanks for the input guys.

There is still one thing I want to discuss, concerning the order of the sets: The scarf set is the most well-known and used, thats the reason why I put it first, but I feel like it's the worst set for it at the moment since it puts you in very uncomfortable situations where you'd rather double switch than attack, with the presence of Marowak, Ground types, Dugtrio and Protect or Baneful Bunker on Celesteela and Toxapex. So in many games useless.
So my question is: should we put the scarf set first, because it is the most used ? It's not as effective in its role as the breaker and the setup sweeper.

Last edited:
There is still one thing I want to discuss, concerning the order of the sets: The scarf set is the most well-known and used, thats the reason why I put it first, but I feel like it's the worst set for it at the moment since it puts you in very uncomfortable situations where you'd rather double switch than attack, with the presence of Marowak, Ground types, Dugtrio and Protect or Baneful Bunker on Celesteela and Toxapex. So in many games useless.
So my question is: should we put the scarf set first, because it is the most used ? It's not as effective in its role as the breaker and the setup sweeper.
Honestly I don't think that the scarf set should be the first even if its the most common. We know that choiced electric types are not the best right now as they can possibly give too much momentum to the opponent.Its as you say the advent of A-Marowak, Dugtrio, Excadrill and other ground types force it into situations that can easily end up unfavorable. I think the other sets should be promoted over it instead of us promoting a bad common set that under preforms and does not allow the Pokemon to utilize its potential to the fullest.

Last edited:
I think the scarf set is the most independent of the three sets but I think trying to use this pokemon independently is kind of bad, pokemon with extreme strengths and meh/bad everything else have always been the kind of stuff that need proper support to really flourish. Z-Hypnosis is the easiest to use of the three sets even if it has consistency issues so I'd probably say list that first. Maybe call it the Z-boost set with slashed electrium and electric terrain.

I see another potential advantage that terrain has in the potential to use a gigavolt havoc instead of getting your speed boost if the game's pace makes that prudent. It'll definitely require more support though, either screens/aurora veil or memento. The wallbreaker is a set that requires very careful use and support to be effective. Scarf doesn't need support but as you said there are some games where it's just useless.

busyguy

formerly mil
Maybe call it the Z-boost set with slashed electrium and electric terrain.
great idea, that sums it up better, implemented that.

I see another potential advantage that terrain has in the potential to use a gigavolt havoc instead of getting your speed boost if the game's pace makes that prudent.
That's also true, if you need to break a wall go for Gigavolt Havoc, if you need to sweep use Electric Terrain. Thanks ! I added that.

from my own experience I can tell that the breaker set fulfilled its role the most effctive.

I ran a team with the TG set together with Tapu Koko and scarf Keldeo (just overloading grass and SpD mons) plus a defensive core, which had problems versus defensive or stall teams, if Xurkitree wasn't there. If you bring it in savely, on slower, more defensive teams without taking damage, it breaks the opponents defensive core, making it an effective stall breaker.

That's what I observed in my tests and also while watching other people use it.
For example: Venusaur/Marowak/Mandibuzz + Water or Toxapex/Chansey/Skarm, Ferro/Toxapex + Ground immunty, Xurkitree has the ability to break past these defensive cores after the boost.

The Hypnosis/Electric Terrain set was kinda hard to pull off, you can't take many hits, while it's supposed to work against more offensive teams, but these have very fast revengers or priority in the back which makes setup even more difficult.

The order that I have in mind:

1. TG breaker, 2. Scarf, 3. Z-sweeper

or change it to

1. TG breaker, 2. Z-sweeper, 3. scarf
but I saw Scarf on many teams and people like to use it for some reason, that's why I feel like it should be in one of the first two spots

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
scarf should be the 3rd set, scarf electrics really aren't that good and i would honestly go as far as removing the set completely, but see what the others have to say

in overview mention the massive massive competition xurk faces from tapu koko and other breakers like manaphy, which means it struggles to carve a niche for itself in the tier

remove mentions of grass knot from all sets, theres really little reason to run it, you're still ruining things like hippo with eball anyway

beef up team options a bit, theres a lot more than just type overloading and ground immunities

scarf seems fine

z-hyp should have sticky webs in team options, shits amazing and really puts a lot of pressure on teams that would rely on something like scarfchomp to handle fast electrics.

1/3

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

QC 1/3 (p2, , )
GP .
[OVERVIEW]
  • Amazing 173 SpA stat.
  • Breaks through the sturdiest walls, including Chansey, Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn.
  • Sweeps teams using the Z-Hypnosis or Z-Electric Terrain set.
  • Scarf set sweeps teams using Beast Boost like a snowball effect, but needs a lot of support.
  • Besides SpA, other stats are below average by OU standards with speed being average.
  • Doesn't like to switch into any attack, is easy to revenge.
  • Painful to use due to weak defensive stats, presence of Alolan Marowak, Ground types and Dugtrio makes it useless in some games.
  • Struggles to carve a niche for itself in the tier, because of competition from Manaphy, which has better stats and typing, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele and other breakers.
Not QC, but it's bad practice to put stuff like "Amazing 173 SpA stat" when you can just say "absurdly strong wallbreaker" which you already have. Same goes for "other stats are below average by OU standards with speed being average." Just say it's frail and dependent on Speed boosts in order to outpace things.

A lot of users being introduced to the game don't immediately know what the numbers mean. It helps to just translate it to be as clear as possible.

not qc, but there are some things important things i want to see implemented after using this hell of a lot

[overview]
looks fine, though i would use "hard to set-up with or bring in" instead of "painful to use"

[tail glow]
  • i'd just make the name "tail glow"
  • add unaware clefable to targets gigavolt havoc ohkoes (97.7% min)
  • unslash modest. no point giving up the ability to outpace gyarados, mamoswine, buzzwole, heatran,...just for a chance to ohko chansey (it's only a 25% chance with rocks up, so you might not even get it)
  • specially defensive excadrill is a target for hidden power [ground] as it ohkoes at +3 more than half the time
[z-electric terrain]
  • aight, so you can see i changed the set name, which means i disagree with your last post of how you having to take a hit statistically. i've played around with both sets and z-hypnosis is wildly inconsistent. the power boost that thunderbolt gets in the next 4 turns is crucial to sweeping your opponent versus hypnosis since xurkitree, while powerful, needs some way to boost its stab in order to successfully clean. z-hypnosis imo should be in the set details.
    • the only time i would use z-hypnosis is for a "double dance" set since the sleep turn gives you an opportunity to tail glow.
    • also, z-hypnosis means you are running a different z-crystal. z-electric terrain uses electrium z which means you have an option to sweep a more offensive team or click gigavolt havoc against balance. psychicium z limits your utility to z-hypnosis which might not always hit and you shouldn't be playing your odds to begin with. set up when you need to and electric terrain brings much more to the table.
  • in usage tips, you are missing something very important. you need faster scarfers removed like landorus-t, excadrill, and genesect as well as pokemon that outpace you naturally (i.e. alakazam, pheremosa, aerodactyl)
  • add spikes greninja to team options
[choice scarf]
  • seconding what my man p2 said. it should be moved to oo in my opinion. it's kind of like thundurus-t in my opinion except scarf thundurus-t is better due to its superior speed tier and ability to manipulate your opponent's moves choices due to the threat of volt absorb. whenever i use this set, i frequently ask myself why am i using this when z-electric terrain just swept right off the bat.
[other options]
  • i'd move choice scarf here as i said
  • remove choice specs since xurkitree already hits hard enough and it would rather use z-crystal or life orb (which you already mentioned) anyways
  • add expert belt
[c&c]
  • looks solid
good shit otherwise :D

e: shed shell should be mentioned somewhere for the tail glow set

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
k I'll drop it. It's really bad and I was confused that people use it that much
btw what do you think about vertex' post? put electrium-z first and psychium-z in other options, or leave it as it is? I understand where he is coming from but I like the way the slashed set sums up both sets.
Eletrium-Z has more benefit in possibly using it to attack wth Gigavolt Havoc plus the stab boost from Electric Terrain . Psychium-Z puts a mon asleep 60% of the time.
Although Electrium-Z has more benefits, we could leave it like it is, but make it clearer in set details that Electrium-Z has more advantages. If the qc members think otherwise I'll change it to vertex' version.

Last edited:
On the last line of overview, remove Tapu Koko's name from the list of breaker. Tapu Koko is doing very little breaking LOL. Idk why u even thought of putting it there. A more specific and helpful description would be

• Struggles to carve a niche for itself in the tier, because of competition from Manaphy, which has much better bulk and typing to break stall but less immediate power and from competition from the likes of Tapu Lele and Hoopa-U which has much more spammable attacks.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
  • Painful to use due to weak defensive stats, needs a lot of defensive support. The presence of Alolan Marowak, Ground types and Dugtrio makes it useless in some games.
Agreeing with Vertex in that it describing it as a Pokemon that is "difficult to switch in or set up" is more useful than "painful." Additionally, there are many Ground-types that Xurkitree just flat out bodies due to HP Ice and Energy Ball, so you'll need to rephrase this.

• Struggles to carve a niche for itself in the tier, because of competition from Manaphy, which has better stats and typing, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele and other breakers.
Xurkitree is a different kind of breaker than the Pokemon you mentioned. Manaphy is weaker/Water-type, Tapu Lele just mindlessly spams Psychic until things die and I also would argue that Tapu Koko isn't particularly notable as a breaker either. Instead of saying it struggles to stand out due to competition, I would instead harp on Xurkitree's lessened effectiveness against offense, which is what ultimately holds it back.

EDIT: I agree with Vertex in regards to Electrium-Z > Psychium-Z, but I still think Z-Hypnosis is volatile enough to warrant being slashed after Electrium-Z. Just mention that it's the riskier scummier set.

Zap Plate might be worth a mention in the OO if you're going to mention Expert Belt. Also, you still have some mentions of Landorus-I throughout. Bulky Grass-types such as Venusaur and Ferrothorn should still be mentioned in the C&C section, as they can wall it prior to TG or if Xurkitree carries a scarf.

Last edited:

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello man !
Add
Remove
[OVERVIEW]
  • Xurkitree is an absurdly strong wallbreaker, which breaks through the sturdiest walls, including Chansey, Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn.
  • It can sweep teams using the Z-Electric Terrain or Z-Hypnosis set.
  • It doesn't like to switch into any attack; because of its frailness, it is easy to revenge.
  • Setting up is difficult due to weak defensive stats, needs a lot of defensive support. The presence of Alolan Marowak, Ground-types and Dugtrio makes it hard to bring in or attack.
  • Struggles to carve a niche for itself in the tier, because of its lessened effectiveness against offensive teams when compared to other breakers in the tier.
  • I think u should mention here that it faces competition with other electric types, koko and thundy. Also for other wallbreakers like manaphy.
[SET]
name: Tail Glow
move 2: Tail Glow
item: Electrium-Z

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • +3 Tail Glow boosted Gigavolt Havoc breaks past any Pokemon including Chansey and has a chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and a bit of prior damage, while Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn get OHKOd.also unaware clef after prior damage
  • Even without Electrium-Z, Tail Glow boosted Thunderbolt and other coverage moves will damage more defensive teams heavily.
  • Energy Ball hits bulky Grounds, while being a midground option for Ground/Flying-types and Water-types. mention quagsire here
  • Hidden Power Ice allows Xurkutree to hit Ground/Flying types like Landorus for a 4x effective hit if they dare swichting in predicting Thunderbolt, while also damaging Grass types. mention latios as a target here or dragon types in general.
  • Hidden Power Ground allows it to OHKO Alolan Marowak, specially defensive Excadrill half the time and Magnezone after a Tail Glow boost.
Set Details
========
  • Timid maximum Speed investment outspeeds up to base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Gyarados and Buzzwole. you can also mention neutral speed mons like Kyub.
  • On the other hand, a Modest nature (Modest isnt relevant, just mention with electrium Z you can HKO chansey after a tg boost and prior damage) +3 Tail Glow boosted Gigavolt Havoc on Chansey has a chance to OHKO after Rocks damage, but gets outsped by key threats.
Usage Tips
========
  • Try to bring Xurkitree into the game savely on a predicted switch or through team support with U-Turn or Volt switch.
  • Set up with Tail Glow when there is an opening and attack with Gigavolt Havoc to break past its checks to damage defensive teams unrecoverably.
  • Pokemon which have mutual checks and counters benefit from this immensely, as their main switchin will be removed.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon, which share similar checks such as Tapu Koko, Keldeo, Manaphy can be paired with it. Xurkitree breaks, they sweep. mention at least 1 common check.
  • Latios, Mantine and other Ground immunities and resists help deal with its only weakness in case of a misspredict with Thunderbolt mention how this mons also can defog hazards and maintain longevity in Xurk.
  • Xurkitree needs a lot of defensive support due to its weak stats, to remedy its frailness, other teammates should be able to take hits, bulky Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp, Water-types like Toxapex and Grass-types like Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Tangrowth can sponge strong attacks for it.
  • Volt Switch or U-Turn support is appreciated, to bring it in safely, ideally it should never take a hit give examples like landot and rotom-w
  • Hazard support is useful, Stealth Rock and a layer of Spike brings Chansey in range of +3 Gigavolt Havoc from timid Xurkitree. again lando is really good, you should mention lando as a special option because can setup rocks, slow uturn and ground immunity.
  • Memento for example from Dugtrio and Latios, support from screens make it easier to set up or take hits while Xurkitree damages the opponents team irrecoverably. dugtrio can trap mons like mega kazam so it cannot revenge xurk.
[SET]
name: Z-move sweeper
move 2: Electric Terrain / Hypnosis
item: Electrium-Z / Psychium-Z

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Electric Terrain turns into Z-Electric Terrain with Electrium-Z and boosts Speed by one stage, while also giving Electric attacks a +1 boost, which makes it easier for Xurkitree to sweep.
  • Holding Psychium-Z, Hypnosis also boosts its Speed by one stage and may put the opposing Pokemon asleep. move this to last
  • Thunderbolt is the only STAB option and hits very hard. Electrium-Z can be used on this move to get off a strong one-time hit.
  • Energy Ball hits Ground-types which are immune to Electric.
  • The respective Hidden Power can be used team dependently, eliminating checks and counters.
Set Details
========
  • Max Speed with timid nature is needed to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible at +1.
  • The remaining IVs are put into SpA to hit as hard as possible.
Usage Tips
========
  • It is an effective surprise set which can catch opponents off guard, it is recommended to not reveal it till late game if you wish to set up and sweep.
  • Weaken its checks and countes a bit, bring them in range of Xurkitree's attacks by repeated hits.
  • Only take extremely weak attacks with it, use Volt Switch or U-Turn or bait a Pokemon, which the opponent can't afford to lose and bring Xurkitree in without taking hits. On the opponent's switch-out or an attack which doesn't KO, use Z-Electric Terrain/Z-Hypnosis boosting Speed by one stage in both cases. Electric Terrain gives Electric attacks a +1 boost whereas Z-Hypnosis has a 60% chance to put the opponents Pokemon asleep, which is risky. Every KO will boost its Special Attack by one stage.
  • Electrium-Z allows you to chose between the +1 Speed boost or a one-time Gigavolt Havoc, the Z-Cristal can be chosen depending on the opponents team: Gigavolt Havoc to break a wall and Electric Terrain to sweep a weakend more offensive team.
  • Memento for example from Dugtrio and Latios, or screen support make it easier to find setup opportunities or take hits while sweeping.move this to team options.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that share similar checks, for example Keldeo, which forces the opponent to keep their water type around leaves room for Xurkitree's setup.
  • Latios, Mantine and other Ground immunities and resists help deal with its only weakness in case of a misspredict with Thunderbolt. mention they can defog and keep xurk healthy
  • Partners that help creating setup opportunities, for example Memento Latios or even Dugtrio. try to put here the last sentence of the last section.
  • Tapu Koko sets up Electric Terrain, boosting Electric STAB while also having the option to run Brave Bird, denting Xurkitree's switchins. mention examples
  • Hazard setters such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Klefki make for decent partners as hazards wear down grounded Electric checks and bring them in rage of its coverage moves.
  • Sticky Web allows it to pressure teams which depend on fast scarfers like Lando-T or Garchomp to deal with Electrics.
[SET]
name: Scarf Snowball
move 2: Volt Switch
item: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Thunderbolt is the main STAB move with high base power and should be spammed whenever possible.
  • Volt Switch gains momentum while still doing good damage to resists because of Xurkitree's high base SpA.
  • Energy Ball hits Ground types, which would resist Electric, for super effective damage, while doing neutral damage to Landorus.
  • Hidden Power Ice is used for Flying/Ground like the Landorus-I, Landorus-T and Garchomp, while HP Ground hits Lightning Rod Marowak.
Set Details
========

• Max Speed with a timid nature is recommended as it outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible including base 80+ Pokemon like Mega Gyarados even at +1.
  • Max SpA investment makes sure Thunderbolt and its coverage options hit as hard as possible.
Usage Tips
========

• It should be used to sweep after checks and counters have been taken care of
  • for a successful sweep with Thunderbolt, make sure Ground-types, especially Dugtrio because it traps and OHKOs Xurkitree, and Alolan Marowak are removed, since they take advantage of it being locked into Thunderbolt.
  • Other Pokemon of resisting types, for example Grass-types like Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Tapu Bulu should be weakend to the point where Thunderbolt kills them.
  • If Dugtrio, Alolan Morowak, or an other Ground-type are in the game, don't spam Eletric attacks mindlessly as they can cause an unrecoverable loss of momentum, especially in a tier with such a big number of threats.
  • If all its answers are taken care of, abuse Beast Boost and spam Thunderbolt, or other coverage options getting a +1 boost in SpA after every kill.
Team Options
========

• Pokemon that deal with Ground types and Eletric immunities like Marowak are appreciated.
  • bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini can switch into Marowak and Ground types, while threatening them out.
  • Hazard setters such as Ferrothorn and Klefki make for decent partners as hazards wear down grounded Electric checks.
  • Ground immunities, such as Latios, Mantine and Landorus-T can switch into Ground moves, for example from Landorus-I, Landorus-T and Garchomp if Xurkitree is locked into Thunderbolt.
  • Tapu Koko sets up Electric Terrain, boosting Thunderbolt even more and can damage Grass-types with Brave Bird.
echoing my qc teammates here, move this set to OO. Its speed isnt than great for scarf set itself. Being slower than Mega Kazam for example.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Leftovers or Life Orb can be used on the Tail Glow set instead of Z-Item, to boost attacks or longevity respectively, with the price of losing Gigavolt Havoc and its breaking capabilities.
  • Expert Belt allows it to bluff a Choice item and may surprise the opponent.
  • Hypnosis/Electric Terrain + Tail Glow with BoltBeam coverage as the Double Dance set can be used, but is dangerous with only 60% chance to hit. also mention that you only have 60% chance of DD, while only losing coverage
  • HP Water hits Alolan Marowak, Landorus and Excadrill super effectively, with the cost of not being able to damage Magnezone much.
  • add scarf set and the downside of not being faster than mega kazam and being choice lock.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground types can switch into Electric attacks, causing a loss of momentum. Landorus-I [lando-i is banned]outspeeds and kills non scarfed variants, fast Landorus-T gains momentum with U-Turn or just revenges it. Excadrill in Sand and the defensive version give it trouble. Dugtrio can trap and OHKO it.

**Special Walls:** Heavily SpD Pokemon such as Chansey or Assault Vest users can swith into its unboosted attacks and beat it due to its weak defenses and no recovery options.

**Lightning Rod:** Lightning Rod Alolan Marowak can easily capitalize on Electric attacks.

**Strong Attacks**: Xurkitree's disappointing bulk leaves it vulnerable to even resisted attacks. i think rather than strong attacks this section should be call it **Faster Attackers** and add mentions of weav, exca, pheromosa.
Alright man, implement all this and QC 2/3:toast:

With Landorus being banned, is HP Ice still the best option for Xurk or is it now HP Ground? Need to know since I have a Xurkitree that's got HP Ice.

''Sticky Web allows it to pressure teams which depend on fast scarfers like Lando-T or Garchomp to deal with Electrics.''

Lando-T isn't affected by sticky web.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
  • Pokemon which have mutual checks and counters benefit from this immensely, as their main switchin will be removed.
Sorry, I missed this the first time but this really isn't much of a usage tip since it's already emphasized in the team options section. Instead, i'd mention that you should play incredibly conservatively against stall teams, especially ones using Dugtrio since Xurkitree will be your win condition.

• Latios, Mantine and other Ground immunities and resists help deal with its only weakness in case of a misspredict with Thunderbolt.
Might be best to specifically mention defensive Landorus-T, since if say a Garchomp were to switch into a predicted Thunderbolt, it would tear apart the Pokemon you've listed.

**Special Walls**: Heavily Specially Defensive Pokemon such as Chansey or Assault Vest users can swith into its unboosted attacks and beat it due to its weak defenses and no recovery options.
Don't forget to mention the threat of +2 Gigavolt Havoc nuking Chansey and Assault Vest users (honestly, Assault Vest users struggle to take Thunderbolt anyway)

3/3

Hi, I was gonna ask if Modest can be slashed on the Z-sweeper set. Neutral nature with 252 spe Xurk outspeeds up to 130 speed mons such as Tapu Koko, while faster threats like M-Lopunny and M-Manectric are not released, leaving it outsped by only Pheromosa, M-ALakazam and M-Aerodactyl. Or is it too important to outspeed base 80+ Pokémon with a positive/neutral nature that are at +1? The only ones that come to mind are Scarf Exca, which you can't really touch and get KOed back, Scarf Kyu-B has only 0,4% chance to get 2HKOed by Thunderbolt+Electric Terrain and you can't even set-up on regular ones cause you get KOed back anyways, and Mega Gyarados, if it's not boosted, gets outsped and KOed, considering that you got your +1 in speed. Please correct me if I'm wrong and/or missing an important detail here, or if Modest doesnt achieve anything much than Timid in therms of damage output, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)