Challenge XY Giveaway Contest - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This round ends approximately 21 hours from this post. Make sure to submit something so you have a shot at the gift card!

I had the perfect timing and then everything went downhill. First I'm beaten by my rival and I'm back to Mt. Moon's Pokémon Center. Then Ivysaur tries to learn PoisonPowder and I make it forget Tackle, now it can't fight a Zubat in the Nugget Bridge! I'll have to start over -.- Let's hope I can submit something on time.

I had the perfect timing and then everything went downhill. First I'm beaten by my rival and I'm back to Mt. Moon's Pokémon Center. Then Ivysaur tries to learn PoisonPowder and I make it forget Tackle, now it can't fight a Zubat in the Nugget Bridge! I'll have to start over -.- Let's hope I can submit something on time.
Try using Squirtle, it's better for speedruns

Hmm...why not bulba? SE again first 2 gyms, resists third and Weedle/Zubat's poison stings, and learns cut. For the purpose of this challenge bulba looks like the best.
Wartortle fucks up Brock, kicks Misty's ass with Mega Punch and destroys Lt Surge with Dig,
Oh and it allows you to breeze trough certain parts of the run, like the Nugget Bridge. I usually go with Paras as a Cut user, you get him appear while travelling through Mt Moon so you don't have to waste time looking for him.

Yep Bulbasaur seems better on paper but it has problem in non-gym matches, whereas Squirtle get Bubble at lvl8 for Rock, Mega Punch in Mt.Moon, Bubblebeam from Misty, Dig from the Rocket when you move to Vermilion City

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wartortle fucks up Brock, kicks Misty's ass with Mega Punch and destroys Lt Surge with Dig,
Oh and it allows you to breeze trough certain parts of the run, like the Nugget Bridge. I usually go with Paras as a Cut user, you get him appear while travelling through Mt Moon so you don't have to waste time looking for him.
Hmm, I'll try a run with him then

I've finally got something! It's not the best (ok, it's terrible), but that's all I could do with Bulbasaur* and my rival's hax (i.e., Sand-Attack). All in all this was a fun experience. I never played the original games (Ruby was my first Pokémon game), so it's nice to try this game for the first time.

BTW, @Stellar this will make me look stupid but I can't find the PM button. Is it the same as "Start Conversation"?

*Now I know why Squirtle's a better option.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Was swamped with work all week and I'm pretty sure I don't have time to do it now. I pre-ordered X in anticipation for this anyways.

Good luck to the rest of the entrants!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This round has ended. Scores will be updated momentarily. The new round will be up shortly after that.

Only 10 minutes between first place and cut off. Damn, this really hammered home for me how the little things matter in speed running! I bet I could've gotten a better time had I kept at it, but thankfully I didn't have to :P

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Thank you to everyone who participated! The drawing for the gift card will happen in the next couple days (once I actually buy it!).

My original aim was to get under the 50 minute mark, but the last run was marvelous except for one thing. (Twelve Zubats, one Geodude, and at the last step, a Paras at Mt. Moon. If I didn't get the Paras i would've reset)

Good to see I still have a decent grasp of what counts for a good time.

For anyone interested, I put in my signature the link to the video of my run. There are "strange" thing like picking up extra items but you'll see that those choices payed off to get the run finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)