Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a little off rail but can anyone clarify why Jellicent isn't even D Rank viability? I'm not claiming it's good or anything but I noticed it wasn't blacklisted so I thought I'd mention it as a possible D Rank addition. There are plenty of reasons for its fall from grace relative to last Gen I know but at the same time if garbage like Tornadus-I can carve up enough of a niche to be C-, there should be discussion of Jellicent as a niche but otherwise outclassed bulky water type (unique typing and access to Will o wisp to differentiate itself from other bulky water types, Taunt and reliable recovery to differentiate itself from Rotom-W, and overall it's stats are decent enough and I suppose Water Absorb is chill too.)
Tornadus-I isn't garbage at all. He's a great rain supporter with prankster rain dance, and is an excellent mixed attacker with prankster tailwind for backup support -- although Torn-T outclasses him in that role (prankster tailwind being his only niche over Torn-T).

Jellicent... just sucks. If Suicune ever caught on he could have a niche as a water absorb user, but even then he's outclassed by Vaporeon. If defensive Starmie gets more popular then he would be an okay spin blocker, but spin blocking itself is dead since most teams use defog and Excadrill can 2HKO Jelli on the switch.

To be honest, if Terrakion had the same typing benefits that Keldeo does, it'd probably be an easy S-Rank Pokemon. The main thing keeping it out of the top of the list right now is mainly the fact that Terrakion finds it difficult to switch in on anything. Seeing as how it has a whopping 7 weaknesses to fairly common types in the tier, just about everything has a super effective move for it. Here's a quick rundown of the ranks from S to B:

Azumarill - Either STAB
Charizard (Mega-X) - Earthquake, but Dragon STAB already hits super hard
Keldeo - Either STAB
Landorus - Earth Power, Focus Blast , Psychic
Thundurus - Focus Blast, Psychic

A+ Rank

Charizard (Mega-Y) - Solarbeam, Focus Blast
Clefable - Moonblast
Excadrill - Earthquake, Iron Head
Garchomp - Earthquake, Dragon STAB hits really hard
Greninja - Hydro Pump, Extrasensory, HP Grass
Gyarados (Mega) - Waterfall, Earthquake
Heatran - Earth Power, Flash Cannon
Latias - Psyshock, Surf
Latios - Psyshock, Surf
Pinsir (Mega) - Close Combat, Earthquake, Return hits really hard too
Talonflame - None, but Brave Bird hits super hard
Terrakion - Close Combat
Tyranitar (Mega) - Earthquake, Superpower
Venusaur (Mega) - Giga Drain

A Rank

Bisharp - Iron Head
Dragonite - Earthquake, Dragon STAB hits really hard
Ferrothorn - Power Whip, Gyro Ball
Gardevoir (Mega) - Hyper Voice, Focus Blast, Psyshock
Gengar - Focus Blast, Terrakion also hates Will-O-Wisp
Gliscor - Earthquake
Heracross (Mega) - Close Combat
Hippowdon - Earthquake
Landorus-T - Earthquake
Mamoswine - Earthquake
Medicham (Mega) - High Jump Kick, Drain Punch, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch
Mew - Psyshock, also threatens with Will-O-Wisp
Rotom-W - Hydro Pump, Will-O-Wisp
Scizor (Mega) - Bullet Punch, Superpower
Tyranitar - Earthquake, Superpower

A- Rank

Amoonguss - Giga Drain
Breloom - Mach Punch, Bullet Seed
Chansey - None, but paralysis really sucks
Diggersby - Earthquake
Gyarados - Waterfall, Earthquake
Kyurem-B - Earth Power
Manaphy - Surf, Scald, Grass Knot, Psychic
Mandibuzz - Terrakion actually switches in here really well!
Skarmory - Terrakion switches in easily, but threatened by Counter if it can't KO
Slowbro - Scald, Psyshock

B+ Rank

Alomomola - Scald
Garchomp (Mega) - Earthquake, Dragon STAB still hurts
Kabutops - Waterfall
Politoed - Scald, Hydro Pump
Quagsire - Scald, Earthquake
Scizor - Bullet Punch, Superpower
Scolipede - Earthquake
Suicune - Scald
Tornadus-T - Focus Blast, Superpower

B Rank

Aerodactyl (Mega) - Earthquake, Aqua Tail
Alakazam (Mega) - Psyshock, Focus Blast
Kingdra - Surf, Hydro Pump
Lucario - Close Combat, Iron Tail
Magnezone - Flash Cannon
Manectric (Mega) - HP Grass is pretty rare, so Terrakion can switch in decently. Still gets 2HKOed by Thunderbolt, though.
Raikou - Extrasensory, but otherwise same as Mega Manectric.
Starmie - Hydro Pump, Scald, Psyshock
Victini - Zen Headbutt, Brick Break, CB V-Create still really hurts, Will-O-Wisp
Zapdos - None, Terrakion comes in nicely here

B- Rank
Absol (Mega) - Superpower
Ampharos (Mega) - Focus Blast
Celebi - Giga Drain, Psychic
Chesnaught - Hammer Arm, Wood Hammer
Entei - Bulldoze, Sacred Fire burns also suck
Gothitelle - Psyshock
Rhyperior - Earthquake
Sableye - Will-O-Wisp
Staraptor - Close Combat, Brave Bird still hurts
Weavile - Low Kick

I might have missed a couple of examples / included a few less relevant ones, but you get the drift. Nearly everything in those upper ranks has super effective coverage to hit Terrakion really hard with, and of those that don't, some of them still hit hard with their neutral STAB moves anyway or can cripple Terrakion with something like Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave. There are only a couple of Pokemon (such as Mandibuzz) that Terrakion can actually switch into, which makes it hard for it to come in and do its job. Compare that to Keldeo, who can switch relatively safely into some big name threats such as Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Gyarados with its equally solid bulk and superior defensive typing. However, you also have to take into account what the Pokemon can do once it gets in, and Terrakion has a very impressive resume on that front. I've talked about Terrakion in this thread many times, but basically it has several sets that it does really well. It's one of the best Stealth Rock supporters for offensive teams thanks to its access to Taunt, great speed, solid power, and good neutral coverage. The Life Orb set is sort of a wild card that can run several different variations to assist in different circumstances. It can scout switches and put many offensive teams in a bad position with Substitute, it can blow through stall later in the game with Swords Dance, it can slam Landorus-T and Gliscor with HP Ice, it can run Quick Attack to pick off weakened opponents, and it can even run one of a few niche coverage moves to more reliably hit some of the Pokemon that it would otherwise rely on Stone Edge to hit. All you can really be sure of is that it's running Close Combat and Stone Edge, and even then it 1-2HKOs most of the metagame with those two moves alone. SubSD with the Salac Berry is a great sweeper that can threaten both offensive and defensive teams alike. Choice Scarf Terrakion is a solid revenge killer than can keep a huge range of offensive threats in check. Choice Band is riskier than the Life Orb set, but it also boasts impressive amounts of power without the recoil damage of the Life Orb. There's just so many things Terrakion can do so well that the reward to getting it in safely is really high.

The decision on where to rank Terrakion ultimately comes down to the risk and rewards of using it. The risk is higher than some other top tier Pokemon since it often struggles to switch in safely and do its given role, but the reward is also very high because it's capable of doing so many things and being a generally dangerous offensive Pokemon. In my opinion, it's fine in A+ because the S Rank Pokemon are generally easier to bring in and out over the course of a match whereas Terrakion really struggles to do so when so many Pokemon hit it so hard. Meanwhile, the variety of sets that it can run and the exceptional success it has using those sets is enough to keep it from falling to A Rank.

Yzard's wallbreaking set alone bends the metagame over its knee. Lati@s can switch in on Keldeo too but that didn't stop it from going to S. You play the same way with them: wear down their (few) switch-ins until they go away and then nuke the rest of the team til it goes away. Yzard is easily A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)