Yanmega

Yanmega

QC: 1/3 (Kokoloko), 2/3 (RT.), 3/3 (Pokemazter)
GP: 1/2 (jumpluff), 2/2 (GatoDelFuego), 3/2 (mikel)

[Overview]

<p>Although the transition to BW2 hasn't brought anything new for Yanmega, the truth is that it is still considered one of the best revenge killers in the tier and a very potent special sweeper. This fact is supported by its two abilities: Tinted Lens eliminates the opponent's resistances to Yanmega's moves, making its attacks even more powerful than they already were and lowering the effectiveness of its primary checks, whereas Speed Boost increases Yanmega's Speed to sky-high levels, causing Yanmega to outspeed every Pokemon in the tier after two boosts. Moreover, Yanmega's Bug- and Flying-type STAB moves are only resisted by Zapdos, Empoleon, and Registeel, and its typing lets it get relatively safe switch-ins on a lot of attacks, mainly Grass-, Ground-, Bug- , and Fighting-type moves. This makes it excellent at capitalizing on Heracross, the number one Pokemon in UU, locking itself into the wrong move.</p>

<p>However, every Pokemon has its flaws: Yanmega has a terrible quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock that limits its longevity throughout the battle unless you pack a Rapid Spinner on your team. It also has a relatively shallow movepool and is very frail on the special side, going down to any strong special move. Overall, even though one might say Yanmega is outclassed by Sharpedo, it is a very threatening Pokemon that can rip teams apart if not prepared for.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Psychic
move 4: U-turn / Sleep Talk
item: Choice Specs
ability: Tinted Lens
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega speaks for itself: backed up by base 116 Special Attack, Yanmega makes best use of its ability to hit like a truck, making its name as a wallbreaker. Steel- and Flying-types might seem like good switch-ins for Yanmega, but all but Registeel do so only to be 2HKOed by a Bug Buzz, leaving Registeel and Snorlax as the only Pokemon that can avoid a 2HKO from Bug Buzz after Stealth Rock damage. The same effect, although to a lesser degree, is seen when using Air Slash, Yanmega's secondary STAB move, which has the nifty bonus of flinching 30% of the time. Psychic is useful to hit Crobat, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking for super effective damage or any Fighting-type if you don't trust Air Slash's 95% accuracy. As Yanmega doesn't have the greatest movepool, the last slot has two decent options in the form of U-turn and Sleep Talk. The former provides Yanmega with a quick getaway move and way to gain momentum and scout your opponent's initial switch-in. Alternatively, the latter makes Yanmega a very useful sleep absorber and one of the best switch-ins to Roserade, as it can take the Sleep Powder and threaten Roserade with one of the other moves in its arsenal.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because Yanmega is in a very competitive Speed tier, a Timid nature is preferred to let it outpace Jolly Heracross, Timid Chandelure, and Timid Nidoking, while Speed tying with Jolly Darmanitan. However, if one is looking for absurd power, Modest can be chosen to hit as hard as possible.</p>

<p>Snorlax and Registeel must be eliminated in order to maximize Yanmega's effectiveness. For this reason, Heracross is a very good partner for Yanmega, as it smashes both sturdy walls with Close Combat. On the other hand, Yanmega can open up massive holes in the opponent's team, which Heracross enjoys and takes advantage of. Entry hazards are absolutely necessary for Yanmega to succeed, as they enable a lot of 2HKOs, such as specially defensive Zapdos and Empoleon. Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rock and take Rock-type moves aimed at Yanmega, while Roserade and Froslass can lay down Spikes effectively throughout the game. Since it is Choice-locked, Yanmega will be switching in and out often, so Rapid Spin support is mandatory. Blastoise can take Fire- and Ice-type moves thrown at Yanmega, Hitmontop soaks up Rock-type moves incredibly easily due to its resistance and ability Intimidate, and Kabutops forms a good synergy core with Yanmega, as the fossil takes Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves and lures Grass-, Ground-, and Fighting-type moves, perfect for Yanmega to take advantage of.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 3: Protect
move 4: Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Ground
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set makes excellent use of Yanmega's ability, Speed Boost. With Protect, Yanmega receives an automatic boost at the end of the turn without incurring any harm, meaning Yanmega will most likely outspeed the opposing Pokemon after using it. As stated previously, Yanmega's STAB moves in the form of Bug Buzz and Air Slash offer good coverage in the tier and hit very hard when backed up by Life Orb. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types, such as Arcanine, Chandelure, Darmanitan, and Rotom-H, and Flying-types, such as Zapdos and Crobat, for super effective damage, while Hidden Power Ground still hits Fire-types, but also the number one check to Yanmega, Registeel, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Yanmega is boosting its Speed at the end of every turn, a Modest nature is recommended to maximize its attacking power, but Timid guarantees both that Yanmega outspeeds Jolly Choice Scarf Heracross at +1 and that it ties with Jolly Choice Scarf Darmanitan if it is not running Hidden Power Rock. Yanmega has a few viable options to run in the last slot: Psychic hits Crobat, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen for super effective damage; Shadow Ball dents Cofagrigus, Chandelure, and Froslass; and Giga Drain destroys Swampert, Rhyperior, and bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Blastoise, while also healing Yanmega. Roost is also viable to increase Yanmega's survivability, but is best used with its other ability, Tinted Lens. Heracross helps out Yanmega by removing its biggest nemeses, Snorlax and Registeel, while dealing with Empoleon, Crobat, and Zapdos accordingly after being weakened. Rapid Spin support is crucial, as Yanmega packs a quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock. Blastoise, Hitmontop, and Kabutops can perform the job easily and have good synergy with Yanmega. Finally, this set is very effective as a late-game sweeper. As such, entry hazards are required in order to weaken the opposing team. Rhyperior can lay down Stealth Rock, whereas Roserade and Froslass can put up Spikes on the opponent's field.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As previously mentioned, Yanmega has a very limited movepool. Hypnosis can be used to put one opponent to sleep, but its shaky accuracy leaves much to be desired. AncientPower and Silver Wind have a 10% chance of getting a boost in every stat, but are weaker than Hidden Power Rock and Bug Buzz. Substitute is Yanmega's only way of avoiding status conditions and can prove to be useful as Yanmega forces a lot of switches, but its severe weakness to Stealth Rock limits the use of this move.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Stealth Rock is and always will be Yanmega's worst nightmare, as it will simply remove 50% of Yanmega's health just by coming onto the battlefield. Snorlax and Registeel are Yanmega's best counters, as they can take two Choice Specs Bug Buzzes after Stealth Rock damage and strike back with Return or Fire Punch or cripple with Thunder Wave, respectively. Zapdos resists both of Yanmega's STAB moves and OHKOes with any Electric-type move. Empoleon also resists Yanmega's STAB moves and can retaliate with Scald or Ice Beam, dealing massive amounts of damage. Crobat outspeeds unboosted Yanmega and can take one hit and retaliate with Brave Bird. Bulky special attackers such as Raikou can also take one hit and KO Yanmega easily with a super effective move. If Yanmega stands at +1 Speed, a faster Choice Scarf user, such as Flygon, Victini, Mienshao, or Raikou, can easily revenge kill it. Weavile and Honchkrow can also revenge kill Yanmega with Ice Shard and Sucker Punch, respectively.</p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Choice Specs set is honestly much more effective than Life Orb. If I wanted a frail Speed Booster, Sharpedo is just better.

Sleep Talk should be an option over coverage moves on Specs Yanmega, maybe even the primary option. Yanmega can switch into almost any Sleep user in UU with complete impunity and because of Tinted Lens all of its attacks are pretty safe. Certainly better than Giga Drain, which barely hits harder than Tinted Lens Bug Buzz on its targets and shouldn't even be on the set at all. Hidden Power Rock for Zapdos and Crobat, but it's not a move you should be using very often anyway - Sleep Talk is way cooler.

I definetly agree with cim, Sleep Talk is simply better on Yanmega than Giga Drain. Oh, and please switch the order of the sets, people need to realize how much better Tinted Lens Specs is. cim gave all the reasoning for it though, why not just use Sharpedo?

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah Specs is the better set, switch the order.

Specs
Timid / Modest
Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Psychic
U-turn / Sleep Talk

LO Speed Boost
Modest / Timid
Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Protect
Hidden Power Rock / Ground

Giga Drain and Roost in AC for the second set only.

Also make sure you mention the fact that Mega can use LO with Tinted Lens with Roost as its fourth move.

Changed the skeleton and mentioned everything, I hope the changes are in the correct place.

Also, what are Psychic's main targets? Crobat, the Nidos... ?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Crobat mainly, as it's the best switch in (besides snorlax I guess) to Yanmega.

Mention Heracross as a good teammate as they have good offensive synergy (heracross takes on snorlax, while yanmega can lure and weaken some heracross checks such as crobat).

Out of curiosity, do any specsmega users ever remember u-turn being worthwhile? I use specsmega a lot, and while I have u-turn as my 4th move, Im not sure Ive ever clicked it.

Specsmega's attacks (name Bug Buzz) just do so much damage, even to Snorlax, that I dont think I've ever preferred the switch advantage to simply nuking something. It is so hard to get Yanmega in some battles that using your opportunity just to u-turn seems a waste. That being said, Ive recently starting using Giga Drain and Psychic as my two filler moves, and while both are situational, more than a few times Giga Drain has provided me with the KO I needed and the extra health needed to switch back in.

Again, just curious if anyone's experience the practical benefits of u-turn consistently

edit: or sleep talk for that matter, seems more useful than u-turn tbh

Out of curiosity, do any specsmega users ever remember u-turn being worthwhile? I use specsmega a lot, and while I have u-turn as my 4th move, Im not sure Ive ever clicked it.

Specsmega's attacks (name Bug Buzz) just do so much damage, even to Snorlax, that I dont think I've ever preferred the switch advantage to simply nuking something. It is so hard to get Yanmega in some battles that using your opportunity just to u-turn seems a waste. That being said, Ive recently starting using Giga Drain and Psychic as my two filler moves, and while both are situational, more than a few times Giga Drain has provided me with the KO I needed and the extra health needed to switch back in.

Again, just curious if anyone's experience the practical benefits of u-turn consistently

edit: or sleep talk for that matter, seems more useful than u-turn tbh
In my perspective, U-turn on a choiced Pokemon is always extremely useful to make a quick getaway or to gain momentum. Even though Bug Buzz hits hard due to Tinted Lens, there are still Pokemon who take it reasonably well and U-turn lets you not only know what your opponent's first switch-in to Yanmega is but only to escape from it and pressure the opponent to switch out or take a massive hit from another Pokemon, the one you decided to send in

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
honestly u-turn isn't that great on yanmega, i agree that i have basically never intentionally used it. the choice lock is what really screws it over. think about it - the only time you'd use u-turn is when you otherwise double switch, and you never double switch with yanmega, so...

santuga, that's some nice theorymon, but the number of pokemon that can take a TL Bug Buzz can be counted on one hand and scouted with team preview. you should see the switch from a mile away.

would be fine with 3 attacks + sleep talk / uturn slashed in the 4th with a strong emphasis on how fucking great sleep talk is over how kinda shitty u-turn is

Well, QC members (kokoloko) suggested U-turn as the main slash, so, until order in contrary, I'll keep it as it is. Definetly will emphasize Sleep Talk's great role when writing it up though

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
people are underrating u-turn, but i don't feel strongly at all about slash order, so do as you please

either way, QC Approved 1/3

Nas

Banned deucer.
Don't mention Hidden Power Rock for the Choice Specs set, it's a terrible choice. Moltres is completely irrelevant in UU, and Crobat is hit harder by Psychic. It also lowers your Speed IV and is just a bad move to be locked into. The last two points you have listed under set comments for the Life Orb set should be in AC. Make sure you specifically state that Roost is only to be used with Tinted lens over Protect, and that Timid becomes the better choice of nature when you go that route.

• Timid can be used to outpace Scarf Heracross at +1 and tie with Scarf Darmanitan
The part about Darmanitan is incorrect, HP Rock lowers your Speed IV by 1 so you actually lose to Scarf Darmanitan at +1.

Changes implemented, the last two points on the Life orb set were suposed to be in AC anyway, I just missplaced them

[Overview]

<p>Although the transition to BW2 hasn't brought anything new for Yanmega, the truth is that it is still considered one of the best revenge killers in the tier and a very potent special sweeper. This fact is supported by its two abilities: Tinted Lens eliminates the opponent's resistences resistances to Yanmega's moves, making its attacks even more powerful than they already were and lowering the effectiveness of its primary checks, whereas Speed Boost increases Yanmega's Speed to sky-high (hyphen) levels, outspeeding causing Yanmega to outspeed every Pokemon in the tier after +2. Moreover, its Bug / Flying type (spaces surround the slash) STAB moves are only resisted by Zapdos, Empoleon, and Registeel, and its typing lets Yanmega get relatively safe switch-ins to a lot of attacks, mainly Grass-, Ground-, Bug, and Fighting-type moves, meaning it is one of the best abusers of having the number one Pokemon in UU, Heracross, when locked into the wrong move.. This makes it excellent at capitalising on Heracross, the number one Pokemon in UU, locking itself into the wrong move. </p> (new paragraph)

<p>
However, every Pokemon has its flaws: Yanmega has a terrible quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock that limits its longevity throughout the battle unless you pack a Rapid Spinner on your team. It also has a relatively shallow movepool and is very frail on the special side, going down to any strong special move. Overall, even though one might say Yanmega is outclassed by Sharpedo, it is a very threatening Pokemon which can rip teams apart with the correct support of or with the lack of proper checks or counters.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega speaks for itself: backed up by base 116 Special Attack, Yanmega makes best use of its ability Tinted Lens to hit as hard like as a truck, giving itself a recognition of making its name as a wallbreaker. Steel- and Flying-types might seem like a good option to switch in (no hyphen) on Yanmega, but they do so only to realize they will get be 2HKOed by a Bug Buzz, leaving Registeel and Snorlax as the only Pokemon which can rise up to the expectations of avoiding avoid a 2HKO from Modest Specs Bug Buzz after Stealth Rock damage. The same effect, although on a lower scale to a lesser degree, is confirmed seen when using Air Slash, Yanmega's secondary STAB move, which has a the nifty addition bonus of flinching 30% of the time. Psychic is useful to hit Crobat, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking for super effective damage, or any Poison- or Fighting-type if you don't trust Air Slash's 95% accuracy. Since Yanmega doesn't have the greatest movepool, the last slot has two decent options in the form of U-turn and Sleep Talk:. The former provides Yanmega with a quick getaway move and at the same time way to gain momentum and scout your opponent's inicial initial switch-in to Yanmega, whilst t. Alternatively, the latter makes Yanmega a very useful sleep fodder and one of the best switch-ins to Roserade, as it can take the Sleep Powder and threaten it with one of its the other moves on in its arsenal.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Timid nature is preferable to ensure Yanmega puts itself in a favorable end (try to phrase this more simply, this reads awkwardly and I don't know what to replace it with) in the very competitive Speed tier it is included in, outpacing Jolly Heracross, Timid Chandelure, and Timid Nidoking, while having a Speed tie with Jolly Darmanitan. However, if one is looking for absurd power, Modest can be chosen to hit as hard as possible.</p> (new paragraph)

<p>
Snorlax and Registeel must be eliminated in order to raise maximize Yanmega's effectiveness to the maximum. For this reason, Heracross is a very good partner for Yanmega, as it smashes both sturdy walls with Close Combat. On the other way, Yanmega can also open up massive holes in the opponent's team which Heracross enjoys and takes advantage of. Entry hazards are absolutely necessary for Yanmega to strike succeed, as it enables a lot of 2HKOes, such as specially defensive Zapdos, Crobat, and Empoleon. Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rock and at the same time take Rock-type moves aimed at Yanmega, while Roserade and Froslass can lay down Spikes effectively throughout the game. Since it is Choice-locked (hyphen), Yanmega might be switching in and out often, so Rapid Spin support is mandatory. Blastoise can take Fire- and Ice-type moves thrown at Yanmega, Hitmontop soaks up Rock-type moves incredibly easily due to its resistence resistance and ability Intimidate, and Kabutops forms a good synergy core with Yanmega, since the fossil takes Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves and lures Grass-, Ground-, and Fighting-type moves, perfect for Yanmega to take advantage of.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set makes excellent use of Yanmega's ability Speed Boost. When combining this ability with the move Protect, an automatic boost is given in the end of the turn to its user its user receives an automatic boost at the end of the turn without incurring any harm, meaning it is very likely for Yanmega to outspeed the opposing Pokemon in after the end of the very first turn of use. As stated previously, Yanmega's STAB moves in the form of Bug Buzz and Air Slash offer good coverage in the tier and hit very hard when backed up by Life Orb. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types, such as Arcanine, Chandelure, Darmanitan, and Rotom-H, and Flying-types, such as Zapdos and Crobat, for super effective damage, while Hidden Power Ground nets Fire-types as well, but also hitting the number one check to Yanmega, Registeel, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Yanmega is boosting its Speed in at the end of every turn, a Modest nature is recommended to maximize its attacking power, but Timid nature guarantees both that Yanmega outspeeds Jolly Scarf Heracross at +1 and a Speed tie that it ties with Jolly Scarf Darmanitan if it is not running Hidden Power Rock as the last move. Yanmega has a few viable options to run in the last slot: Psychic hits Crobat, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen for super effective damage, Shadow Ball dents Cofagrigus, Chandelure, and Froslass, and Giga Drain destroys Swampert, Rhyperior, and bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Blastoise, while also healing Yanmega from the damage inflicted by its item. Roost is also viable to increase Yanmega's survivability, and (but, maybe?) it's is best used with its other ability Tinted Lens. Heracross helps out Yanmega to remove by removing its biggest nemesis, Snorlax and Registeel, while dealing with Empoleon, Crobat, and Zapdos accordingly after being weakened. Rapid Spin support might ('might' seems a little uncertain considering it's so important, but that's just me) prove to be crucial, as Yanmega packs a quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock. Blastoise, Hitmontop, and Kabutops can perform the job easily and have good synergy with the bug. Finally, this set is very effective as a late game sweeper. As such, entry hazards are required in order to weaken the opposing team. Rhyperior can lay down Stealth Rock, whereas Roserade and Froslass can put up Spikes on the opponent's field.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As previously mentioned, Yanmega has a very limited movepool. Hypnosis can be used to put one opponent to sleep, but its shaky accuracy leaves much to be desired. AncientPower and Silver Wind have a 10% chance of getting a boost in every stat, but they are weaker than Hidden Power Rock and Bug Buzz respectively. Substitute is Yanmega's only way of avoiding status conditions and can prove to be useful since Yanmega forces a lot of switches, but its severe weakness to Stealth Rock limits the use of this move.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Stealth Rock is and always will be Yanmega's worst nightmare, since it will simply remove 50% of Yanmega's health just by coming onto the battlefield. Snorlax and Registeel are Yanmega's best counters, as they can take two Specs Bug Buzz after Stealth Rock damage and strike back with Return or Fire Punch and cripple with Thunder Wave, respectively. Zapdos resists Yanmega's both STAB moves and OHKOes with any Electric-type move. Empoleon also resists Yanmega's STAB moves and can retaliate with Scald or Ice Beam, dealing massive amounts of damage. Crobat outspeeds unboosted Yanmega, and it can take one hit and retaliate with Brave Bird. Bulky special attackers such as Raikou can also take one hit and KO Yanmega easily with a super effective move. If Yanmega stands at +1 Speed, a faster Choice Scarf user, such as Flygon, Victini, Mienshao, and Raikou, can easily revenge kill it. Weavile and Honchkrow can also revenge kill Yanmega with Ice Shard and Sucker Punch, respectively.</p>

[gp]1/2~[/gp]

tehy

Banned deucer.
Big Yanmega fan, nice to see it working in higher tiers

Add blue remove red comments below

[Overview]
<p>Although the transition to BW2 hasn't brought anything new for Yanmega, the truth is that it is still considered one of the best revenge killers in the tier and a very potent special sweeper. This factYanmega is supported by its two abilities: Tinted Lens eliminates the opponent's resistances to Yanmega's moves, making its attacks even more powerful than they already were and lowering the effectiveness of its primary checks, whereas Speed Boost increases Yanmega's Speed to sky-high levels, causing Yanmega to outspeed every Pokemon in the tier after +2two (Turns/Boosts;Pick one). Moreover, its Bug / Flying type STAB moves are only resisted by Zapdos, Empoleon, and Registeel, and its typing lets Yanmega get relatively safe switch-ins ton a lot of attacks, mainly Grass-, Ground-, Bug-, and Fighting-type moves. This makes it excellent at capitalising on Heracross, (the number one Pokemon in UU,) locking itself into the wrong move.</p>
<p>However, every Pokemon has its flaws: Yanmega has a terrible quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock that limits its longevity throughout the battle unless you pack a Rapid Spinner on your team. It also has a relatively shallow movepool and is very frail on the special side, going down to any strong special move. Overall, even though one might say Yanmega is outclassed by Sharpedo, it is a very threatening Pokemon which can rip teams apart with the correctproper support or with the lack of proper checks or counters.</p>
[SET]
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega speaks for itself: backed up by base 116 Special Attack, Yanmega makes best use of its ability Tinted Lens to hit as hard aslike a truck, making its name as a wallbreaker. Steel- and Flying-types might seem like a good option to switch in on Yanmega, but theyall but Registeel do so only to be 2HKOed by a Bug Buzz, leaving Registeel and Snorlax as the only Pokemon which can avoid a 2HKO from Modest Specs Bug Buzz after Stealth Rock damage. The same effect, although to a lesser degree, is seen when using Air Slash, Yanmega's secondary STAB move, which has the nifty bonus of flinching 30% of the time. Psychic is useful to hit any Poison-type, such as Crobat, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking, for super effective damage or any Poison- or Fighting-type if you don't trust Air Slash's 95% accuracy. Since Yanmega doesn't have the greatest movepool, the last slot has two decent options in the form of U-turn and Sleep Talk. The former provides Yanmega with a quick getaway move and way to gain momentum and scout your opponent's initial switch-in. Alternatively, the latter makes Yanmega a very useful sleep foddabsorber and one of the best switch-ins to Roserade, as it can take the Sleep Powder and threaten it with one of the other moves in its arsenal.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Timid nature is preferable to make surBecause Yanmega stands in a favorable position in thea very competitive Sspeed tier, a Timid nature is included in,preferred to let it outpacinge Jolly Heracross, Timid Chandelure, and Timid Nidoking, while having a Speed tieying with Jolly Darmanitan. However, if one is looking for absurd power, Modest can be chosen to hit as hard as possible.</p>
<p>Snorlax and Registeel must be eliminated in order to maximize Yanmega's effectiveness. For this reason, Heracross is a very good partner for Yanmega, as it smashes both sturdy walls with Close Combat. On the other wayhand, Yanmega can also open up massive holes in the opponent's team which Heracross enjoys and takes advantage of. Entry hazards are absolutely necessary for Yanmega to succeed, as ithey enables a lot of 2HKOes, such as specially defensive Zapdos, Crobat, and Empoleon, and OHKOes, such as Crobat. Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rock and at the same time take Rock-type moves aimed at Yanmega, while Roserade and Froslass can lay down Spikes effectively throughout the game. Since it is Choice-locked, Yanmega might be switching in and out often, so Rapid Spin support is mandatory. Blastoise can take Fire- and Ice-type moves thrown at Yanmega, Hitmontop soaks up Rock-type moves incredibly easily due to its resistance and ability Intimidate, and Kabutops forms ahas good synergy core with Yanmega, since the fossil takes Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves and lures Grass-, Ground-, and Fighting-type moves, perfect for Yanmega to take advantage of.</p>
[SET]
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set makes excellent use of Yanmega's ability Speed Boost. When combining this ability with the move Protect, its userYanmega receives an automatic boost at the end of the turn without incurring any harm, meaning it is veryYanmega will most likely for Yanmega to outspeed the opposing Pokemon after the end of the very first turn of useusing it. As stated previously, Yanmega's STAB moves in the form of Bug Buzz and Air Slash offer good coverage in the tier and hit very hard when backed up by Life Orb. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types, such as Arcanine, Chandelure, Darmanitan, and Rotom-H, and Flying-types, such as Zapdos and Crobat, for super effective damage, while Hidden Power Ground nestill hits Fire-types as well, but also hittings the number one check to Yanmega, Registeel, for super effective damage.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Since Yanmega is boosting its Speed at the end of every turn, a Modest nature is recommended to maximize its attacking power, but Timid guarantees both that Yanmega outspeeds Jolly Scarf Heracross at +1 and also that it ties with Jolly Scarf Darmanitan if it is not running Hidden Power Rock as the last move. Yanmega has a few viable options to run in the last slot: Psychic hits Crobat, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen for super effective damage, Shadow Ball dents Cofagrigus, Chandelure, and Froslass, and Giga Drain destroys Swampert, Rhyperior, and bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Blastoise, while also healing Yanmega from the damage inflicted by its item. Roost is also viable to increase Yanmega's survivability, andbut it's best used with its other ability, Tinted Lens. Heracross helps out Yanmega by removing its biggest nemesies, Snorlax and Registeel, while dealing with Empoleon, and weakened Crobat, and Zapdos accordingly after being weakened. Rapid Spin support is crucial, as Yanmega packs a quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock. Blastoise, Hitmontop and Kabutops can perform the job easily and have good synergy with the bug. Finally, this set is very effective as a late game sweeper. As such, entry hazards are required in order to weaken the opposing team. Rhyperior can lay down Stealth Rock, whereas Roserade and Froslass can put up Spikes on the opponent's field.</p>
[Other Options]
<p>As previously mentioned, Yanmega has a very limited movepool. Hypnosis can be used to put one opponent to sleep, but its shaky accuracy leaves much to be desired. AncientPower and Silver Wind have a 10% chance of getting a boost in every stat, but they are weaker than Hidden Power Rock and Bug Buzz, (Add comma) respectively. Substitute is Yanmega's only way of avoiding status conditions and can prove to be useful since Yanmega forces a lot of switches, but its severe weakness to Stealth Rock limits the use of this move.</p>
[Checks and Counters]
<p>Stealth Rock is and always will be Yanmega's worst nightmare, since it will simply remove 50% of Yanmega's health just by combeing onto the battlefield. Snorlax and Registeel are Yanmega's best counters, as they can take twoare not 2HKOed by Specs Bug Buzz after Stealth Rock damage and strike back with Return or Fire Punch andor cripple with Thunder Wave, (Add Comma) respectively. Zapdos resists both of Yanmega's both STAB moves and OHKOes with any Electric-type move. Empoleon also resists Yanmega's STAB moves and can retaliate with Scald or Ice Beam, dealing massive amounts of damage. Crobat outspeeds unboosted Yanmega, and it can take one hit and retaliate with Brave Bird. Bulky special attackers such as Raikou can also take one hit and KO Yanmega easily with a super effective move. If Yanmega standsis only at +1 Speed, a faster Choice Scarf user, such as Flygon, Victini, Mienshao, andor Raikou, can easily revenge kill it. Weavile and Honchkrow can also revenge kill Yanmega with Ice Shard and Sucker Punch, respectively.</p>

Comments: If it's got sleep talk it's more of an absorber than fodder;sleep fodder is usually implied to mean a pokemon that's useless so you let it sleep, Yanmega can function all right under sleep with Sleep Talk so yeah. (Plus, it's impossible to outpredict lol.)
The Timid sentence in Specs AC was kind of overlong and a little wrong, so I decided to just kind of rearrange it.
Pretty sure specs Yanmega OHKO's Crobat.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Although the transition to BW2 hasn't brought anything new for Yanmega, the truth is that it is still considered one of the best revenge killers in the tier and a very potent special sweeper. This fact is supported by its two abilities: Tinted Lens eliminates the opponent's resistances to Yanmega's moves, making its attacks even more powerful than they already were and lowering the effectiveness of its primary checks, whereas Speed Boost increases Yanmega's Speed to sky-high levels, causing Yanmega to outspeed every Pokemon in the tier after two boosts. Moreover, its Yanmega's Bug- / Flying- type STAB moves are only resisted by Zapdos, Empoleon, and Registeel, and its typing lets it Yanmega get relatively safe switch-ins on a lot of attacks, mainly Grass-, Ground-, Bug-, and Fighting-type moves. This makes it excellent at capitalizing on Heracross, the number one Pokemon in UU, locking itself into the wrong move.</p>

<p>However, every Pokemon has its flaws: Yanmega has a terrible quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock that limits its longevity throughout the battle unless you pack a Rapid Spinner on your team. It also has a relatively shallow movepool and is very frail on the special side, going down to any strong special move. Overall, even though one might say Yanmega is outclassed by Sharpedo, it is a very threatening Pokemon which that can rip teams apart if not prepared for with the correct support or with the lack of proper checks or counters.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega speaks for itself: backed up by base 116 Special Attack, Yanmega makes best use of its ability Tinted Lens to hit like a truck, making its name as a wallbreaker. Steel- and Flying-types might seem like a good option to switch-ins for on Yanmega, but all but Registeel do so only to be 2HKOed by a Bug Buzz, leaving Registeel and Snorlax as the only Pokemon which that can avoid a 2HKO from Modest Specs Bug Buzz after Stealth Rock damage. The same effect, although to a lesser degree, is seen when using Air Slash, Yanmega's secondary STAB move, which has the nifty bonus of flinching 30% of the time. Psychic is useful to hit Crobat, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking for super effective damage or any Fighting-type if you don't trust Air Slash's 95% accuracy. Since As Yanmega doesn't have the greatest movepool, the last slot has two decent options in the form of U-turn and Sleep Talk. The former provides Yanmega with a quick getaway move and way to gain momentum and scout your opponent's initial switch-in. Alternatively, the latter makes Yanmega a very useful sleep absorber and one of the best switch-ins to Roserade, as it can take the Sleep Powder and threaten it Roserade with one of the other moves in its arsenal.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because Yanmega is in a very competitive Speed tier, a Timid nature is preferred to let it outpace Jolly Heracross, Timid Chandelure, and Timid Nidoking, while Speed tying with Jolly Darmanitan. However, if one is looking for absurd power, Modest can be chosen to hit as hard as possible.</p>

<p>Snorlax and Registeel must be eliminated in order to maximize Yanmega's effectiveness. For this reason, Heracross is a very good partner for Yanmega, as it smashes both sturdy walls with Close Combat. On the other hand, Yanmega can open up massive holes in the opponent's team, (AC) which Heracross enjoys and takes advantage of. Entry hazards are absolutely necessary for Yanmega to succeed, as they enable a lot of 2HKOs, such as specially defensive Zapdos and Empoleon. Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rock and take Rock-type moves aimed at Yanmega, while Roserade and Froslass can lay down Spikes effectively throughout the game. Since it is Choice-locked, Yanmega might will be switching in and out often, so Rapid Spin support is mandatory. Blastoise can take Fire- and Ice-type moves thrown at Yanmega, Hitmontop soaks up Rock-type moves incredibly easily due to its resistance and ability Intimidate, and Kabutops forms a good synergy core with Yanmega, since as the fossil takes Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves and lures Grass-, Ground-, and Fighting-type moves, perfect for Yanmega to take advantage of.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set makes excellent use of Yanmega's ability, (AC) Speed Boost. With Protect, Yanmega receives an automatic boost at the end of the turn without incurring any harm, meaning Yanmega will most likely outspeed the opposing Pokemon after using it. As stated previously, Yanmega's STAB moves in the form of Bug Buzz and Air Slash offer good coverage in the tier and hit very hard when backed up by Life Orb. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types, such as Arcanine, Chandelure, Darmanitan, and Rotom-H, and Flying-types, such as Zapdos and Crobat, for super effective damage, while Hidden Power Ground still hits Fire-types as well, but also hits the number one check to Yanmega, Registeel, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since As Yanmega is boosting its Speed at the end of every turn, a Modest nature is recommended to maximize its attacking power, but Timid guarantees both that Yanmega outspeeds Jolly Choice Scarf Heracross at +1 and also that it ties with Jolly Choice Scarf Darmanitan if it is not running Hidden Power Rock. Yanmega has a few viable options to run in the last slot: Psychic hits Crobat, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen for super effective damage, Shadow Ball dents Cofagrigus, Chandelure, and Froslass, and Giga Drain destroys Swampert, Rhyperior, and bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Blastoise, (RC) while also healing Yanmega. Roost is also viable to increase Yanmega's survivability, but is best used with its other ability, Tinted Lens. Heracross helps out Yanmega by removing its biggest nemeses, Snorlax and Registeel, while dealing with Empoleon, Crobat, and Zapdos accordingly after being weakened. Rapid Spin support is crucial, (AC) as Yanmega packs a quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock. Blastoise, Hitmontop, (AC) and Kabutops can perform the job easily and have good synergy with Yanmega the bug. Finally, this set is very effective as a late-game sweeper. As such, entry hazards are required in order to weaken the opposing team. Rhyperior can lay down Stealth Rock, whereas Roserade and Froslass can put up Spikes on the opponent's field.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As previously mentioned, Yanmega has a very limited movepool. Hypnosis can be used to put one opponent to sleep, but its shaky accuracy leaves much to be desired. AncientPower and Silver Wind have a 10% chance of getting a boost in every stat, but they are weaker than Hidden Power Rock and Bug Buzz, respectively. Substitute is Yanmega's only way of avoiding status conditions and can prove to be useful since as Yanmega forces a lot of switches, but its severe weakness to Stealth Rock limits the use of this move.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Stealth Rock is and always will be Yanmega's worst nightmare, since as it will simply remove 50% of Yanmega's health just by coming onto the battlefield. Snorlax and Registeel are Yanmega's best counters, as they can take two Choice Specs Bug Buzzes after Stealth Rock damage and strike back with Return or Fire Punch or cripple with Thunder Wave, respectively. Zapdos resists both of Yanmega's STAB moves and OHKOes with any Electric-type move. Empoleon also resists Yanmega's STAB moves and can retaliate with Scald or Ice Beam, dealing massive amounts of damage. Crobat outspeeds unboosted Yanmega, (RC) and it can take one hit and retaliate with Brave Bird. Bulky special attackers such as Raikou can also take one hit and KO Yanmega easily with a super effective move. If Yanmega stands at +1 Speed, a faster Choice Scarf user, such as Flygon, Victini, Mienshao, or Raikou, can easily revenge kill it. Weavile and Honchkrow can also revenge kill Yanmega with Ice Shard and Sucker Punch, respectively.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)