Your Favorite Tier~

Hey!

So recently I've been wondering, "what are people's favourite tiers, and why?" I guess I started thinking about this because I got into UU lately (a few weeks ago) and I've really been loving it. It's very clear that OU is the most popular tier on the Sim, with Random Battles not far behind. I've heard people say they like Random Battles because of the surprise, the fact that you don't know what you're going to get, and that you have to work with it in the best way possible. Or you can't be bothered to teambuild, (me). Other people have said they like lower tiers (such as RU and NU) because some of their favourite Pokemon are in that tier, and they like using them. Personally, I think that OU is a bit monotonous. You see the same Pokemon over and over, and to be honest it's a little boring playing against the same team every time. UU's a little different. Ironically, it seems that you have more of a selection in UU as more Pokemon become more viable the lower the tiers fall. This gives the player more to work with, providing more difference than OU, which I really like. Also, some of my favourite Pokemon are very viable in UU, like Noivern and Nidoking.

Maybe this is me just being stupid, but I'd really like to hear your guys' thoughts - what tier do you like and why?

(Please keep in mind that this is entirely my own opinion, feel free to have your own) :).

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why don't you like to use Legendaries? I don't use Legendaries in-game, but as long as their not broken in a certain tier, I use them now an again. Habit or something?
I'm certainly not against them, I'm not one of those people who decry legendaries or Megas, but it seems really easyand simple not to have to play around them.

RU takes the cake for me. Lots of my favorite Pokemon are usable in RU like Druddigon, Kabutops and Spiritomb. RU also has alot of variety in the tier. There isn't a single playstyle in my opinion that is overcentralizing and between Stall, Rain Dance teams, balanced teams, hyper offense, Sunny Day teams, Trick Room, bulky offense and Sandstorm teams there usually is a wide variety of teams. The variety of Pokemon is also a big reason for me to like RU. With almost every Pokemon viable in RU you will almost never find 2 teams that are the same. Alot of NU Pokemon are also vaible in RU like Tauros, Kangaskhan and Torterra.

However RU is far from the only tier I play as NU, OU, UU, generation 1, 2, 4 and 5 battles, and some other metagames like STAbmons are also fun to play. Still wanna get into little cup and ubers though.

UU
OU is full of asshole pokemon but in UU you're allowed to use lower tier pokemon and get some results out of them as long as they aren't low NU.

Rohep

Banned deucer.
but seriously RU's my top rn because of the viability of a wide variety of pokemon
NU last gen was pretty whorey with like golurk's and kadabra's everywhere, but RU is settling nicely this gen
IDK bout NU this gen since i haven't been on the sim yet since NU got introduced

OU. It's the perfect blend of people giving you shit for using "standard mons" and other people making fun of you when you use lesser-used mons.

/sarcasm

I've gotten into VGC lately as a nice break from standard singles matches, but then I had an idea for a singles team and I started getting back into OU.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
I first got into RU because three of my favourite Pokemon are in it, Electivire, Magmortar, and of course Gallade. I also like how the tier uses Pokemon that don't get used at all in OU, it's a nice change, especially because OU seems overcentralized to me.

OU. I typically flock where ever the majority of the attention goes when it comes to video games because I like to be among the mix of things. OU is easily the premier tier, with Uber being a banlist before a tier. OU is where the big dogs are at (talking pokemon) and that's my favorite tier. Other tiers just feel "off" to me.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
RU. OU is centralized as all shit and that's what kept me from playing it this gen, but it was the only tier that I played last 2 gens (besides a little bit of DPP UU towards the beginning of 5th gen).. but this time, I played OU for a bit and then went straight to UU after it settled down (got official) and I've played that until RU was released, which hit the sweet spot for me. The tier is diverse and full of Pokemon that you wouldn't normally see anywhere else, and they're actually good. Many Pokemon aren't as cookie-cutter as in OU, and there's a little bit of everything, and anything can be a threat. New strategies/cores are being created rapidly and the tier is quickly growing to be the most balanced metagame (except lolbrokemoth), unlike in OU where the only 2 team archetypes that exist are HO and Stall, and that made it really, really stale.

I still play a little bit of everything, though.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OU. I've tried other tiers out of boredom of playing the same thing, but I found out that I just suck at anything that isn't OU. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)