Media Your favourite albums?

Can't Stop the “Painkiller”: Judas Priest's Classic Album Dominates Metal  Thirty Years Later

Painkiller - Judas Priest

My favorite heavy metal album, ever. Every time I play this I feel like im driving in fucking hell, it just gives that "turbo" feeling, especially at high volume. Definitely recommend to any heavy metal enthusiasts, or just people who like to listen to music in general cause its fucking awesome

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
Have to post Silentroom's albums, I can't believe how good their songs are.

'Rainbow Frontier' (Album) / Silentroom - YouTube
Every one of the songs are great. Quite a diverse set of songs as well; they go past Silentroom's usual rhythm game songs.

'In My Heart' (Album) / Silentroom - YouTube
Second album, with the second disc including remixes from other artists. The song selection is still great in here, and while I think Rainbow Frontier has better individual tracks, this album feels more personal to Silentroom and feels stronger as an album.

Usually don't post in threads like this but since I have listened to some very cool albums, figured I'd share some here.

download.jpg

(Cigarettes After Sex self titled)

I listened to K. and Apocalypse beforehand and I really liked those, so figured to check the entire album and the whole thing was very nice. My favourite songs from it are K. and Sweet, but all songs are enjoyable for me. It's very relaxing for me and something I can just listen to whenever I want to chill to.

Vince-Staples-Big-Fish-Theory.jpg

(Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples)

This album was practically shoved down my throat after someone basically made me listen to this thing. I will admit though, I did enjoy it and it sounded a bit different to other stuff I usually listen to. The different sounds mixed together can seem weird at first but I've gotten to like it while listening to this. My favourites here are probably SAMO, Yeah Right, and Rain Come Down.

download.jpg

(Favourite Worst Nightmare by Arctic Monkeys)

I've been listening to Arctic Monkeys for some time, and this album contains some of my favourite songs from them. At first, I wasn't going to listen to this whole album until I saw a "turning the tables" video on it and decided I should just listen to it all. It was definitely worth it since I found new songs that I enjoyed and the experience was memorable. My favourites here are probably Fluorescent Adolescent, 505, Only Ones Who Know, and If You Were There, Beware.

download.jpg

(Gemini Rights by Steve Lacy)

I really enjoyed Dark Red, Bad Habit when it was a single, and Steve's part on 911/Mr. Lonely. I haven't listened to much of him but I decided to check his recent album and I was surprised of how it came out.. in a good way. First listen, I didn't seem to like it but I gave it a second listen and enjoyed it more. I guess this was since I haven't listened to much of his work (don't worry, I'll try to look into his older stuff), but I really enjoyed this so I look forward to see what he has in hold for the future. My favourites here are Static, Bad Habit, Sunshine, and Give You the World.

Obviously these are just a few albums I've been rocking with, but I will definitely consider posting more albums I really like whenever I can. 2022 also seems to be a really good year for music as so many popular artists are releasing singles and albums, and there are also very underrated artists releasing. Hopefully for the rest of 2022, we still get consistently good releases and you guys find something you enjoy. I'll definitely be looking forward for Arctic Monkeys, Joji, and Travis Scott's new albums (and hopefully new Frank Ocean and Nas albums). Hopefully you guys enjoyed this read and check these out if you haven't, have a good rest of 2022.

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
Spotify wrapped came out recently but they didn't show the top albums :(
So I picked my favourite albums from the past year.
Igor_-_Tyler,_the_Creator.jpg

1. Igor - Tyler the Creator (10/10)
Favourite Track - Puppet
Only album to stand the test of time in my playlist, my favourite song is always changing as well.
cover.png

2. ...jook 'til i die - Evaboy (10/10) [YT/Bandcamp only]
Favourite Track - Blue 2 (EVABOY THEME)
I'm a sucker for a Juice sample.

This is the type of music you would hear in the club and see the DJ cop abuse for playing it but its my guilty pleasure.
I wouldn't recommend listening to this unless your into breakbeat/house music but it deserves a mention as the
production and the samples are great. Definitely an outlier compared to all the other albums in the top 5.
Nas-magic-cover.jpg

3. Magic - Nas (9/10)
Favourite Track - Meet Joe Black
You could argue KD2/3 r better but for me this album cemented Nas' comeback.
Louie.PNG

4. Louie - Kenny Beats 9/10
Favourite Track - Family Tree
Very solid album with greats features, like Slowthai, JpegMafia, Thundercat etc.
MacMillerFaces.jpg

5. Faces - Mac miller 8/10
Favourite Track - Rain
imo Mac millers magnum opus

Honorable mentions to: WLR, SantanaWorld, Madvilliany
Enjoy =)

It's really hard for me to pinpoint my favorite albums. My favorite songs are easier to name. If I had to choose now, I think I would name the following albums

Big K.R.I.T. - 4ever is a mighty long time
There's not an album I've listened to more in my teenage years. The range of emotions and moods that this album has is just as varied as the sound, and just like the sound, it all has a particular character that is always present and tied to the charisma of K.R.I.T. Just a very beautiful and special Hip-Hop work to me

Kendrick Lamar - To pimp a butterfly
Yeah yeah I know, there's probably nothing more cliché to put here for a hip hop head of my age. But I just can't deny that this LPs message, it's writing and the emotions that come up resonate with me on a deeply personal level, whilst Kendrick is easily able to present his own struggles and his perspective on societal issues. This album is one of the most important stories ever told and tackles the topics that it covers in many ways better than other piece of art ever did - despite all of these topics being so often covered. You could say I am biased as a racial minority in saying this, but I suppose that's kinda the point.

Gorillaz - Demon Days
Picking a single favorite album from the Gorillaz is difficult, I really do love all of their LPs and they're my favorite band. However, Demon Days just makes me nostalgic of the mid 2000s and reminds me of the climate of the time - which is in strong contrast and yet very similar to our modern world, more than 15 years later.

So yeah, just three albums. As I've said, it's very hard for me to pick. I think the main reason for it is that I often look at songs as pieces of art by tehmselves, whilst neglecting their position in an album and the context that comes with it. Some other albums I really like, but wouldn't say are favorite material:

MF DOOM - MM..FOOD
Either this or Madvillainy, but I think I bumped MM..FOOD a lot more and I think it's more accessible and can be listened more on repeat.

Marvin Gaye - I want you
Marvin Gaye is my prime example of artists where I mostly just look at the songs and less at the albums - but if I had to pick a favorite, I would say I want you is just a very sweet LP. Good songs from beginning to end and a very nice vibe to it all.

Jerome Thomas - Mood Swings
Never heard of it? Me neither until recently. Just filled to the brim with very special bangers. Go listen to it, probably the album I have in rotation the most currently.

Beyond those, Bucket List Project from Saba, Satin Psicodelic from Sunni Colon, pretty much anything from BADBADNOTGOOD and Knower are also really high for me. I think you can tell that the vast majority of the music I listen to is from black people, I never knew why, I guess I just vibe with Hip Hop, R&B, Jazz, Funk and other music genres that black people have a strong presence in. I also like J-Pop from artists like Iri or Yukika. Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Kali Uchis, Jorja Smith are also among my most listened to artists

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Local Dog said:
Never heard of it? Me neither until recently. Just filled to the brim with very special bangers. Go listen to it, probably the album I have in rotation the most currently.
This album cover reminds me of Steve Lacy and Kyle Dion covers

8BB7560F-5954-488A-892E-04272A057B9E.png
834EBCF6-B092-4F5F-B0C9-FE37DF416042.jpeg

Wonder who‘s been inspiring who, wanna be part of that crew

Favorite albums revolve all the time, so I’ll drop the ones from the past 8-10 years that have really made a lasting impression; these might eventually cycle out as time goes, like I can imagine several from recent memory that are gonna knock some oldies off sooner or later

Was there for me at a time in my life when I was growing away from post-rock and into a stripped down sound, but these guys ripped rough vocals over tight, irreverent guitar riffs and for that I have so much love. Also the music vid for “Cocoon” is still one of my favorites to this day and changes meaning every year that I come back to it
Not really sure what keeps this one in my mind, but there’s some lyrical powerhouses in this duo, and I’m not even much into folk-y leaning music these days
There’s no real way to separate someone’s politics from their art, especially music, and these guys (Avan Jogia and... uh, his brother) don’t shy away from that fact for a split second. The tracks are purposely under-polished in some respects, but their political agenda raises a commanding hand over the loose strings so you barely notice while listening, also I love objectifying shirtless men on posters
Willow was just crazy experimental around this time, not that she isn’t usually but this experimentalism came with a prevailing sonic landscape that pushed her over the edge into a different place. Like this was ARIDIPTHECUS on steroids because she is doing vocal gymnastics and giving us some sexy, sultry strings like I’m entering a hookah bar with something under my tongue is dissolving as we speak lol, also she was… 17 or 18 when she made this? Unbelievable… genuinely played this for like 3 months straight
This is very very recent but I’ve already manipulated one of the tracks for a project of my own, the first 7 songs are part of a stellar, no-skip series, and the visuals in the lead-up for this were dynamic and modern and surrealistic—hard to do in mostly greyscale. There’s something about a queer Black guy vocalizing and embodying softness but singing about breaking up and fucking and being an absolute pest to his boyfriends that I just love

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I was gonna wait till the end of the year in case of any new additions (will probably make a post in main music thread naming year-end stuff / fav stuff I heard for the first time this year), but here's my topster as of now. It used to have a lot of filler, but it's starting to come together, hoping a year or two from now it'll be filled with true favorites and I'll actually start to have trouble fitting everything I love in lol (not counting video game OSTs)

1670813268326.png

Citrus is still a brilliant and miraculous record that more people need to be aware of, I'm still struggling to find anything quite like it (Kinoko Teikoku's records and maybe Celebration Rock are the closest I've gotten). It's loud, youthful happiness in sonic form, it's noisy and undeniably a shoegaze record, and yet it's still so upbeat and so catchy.

Psychopomp meanwhile is bittersweet comfort in sonic form (alongside Asobi Seksu's self-titled, although that record is a lot rougher around the edges and is maybe just me being a big Asobi Seksu fan). It singlehandedly almost made Japanese Breakfast my #1 Spotify artist. In Heaven is just...magical, and the two-track finale or Moon on the Bath and Triple 7 is so perfect for late-night walks back to my dorm after a rough night of work while I'm contemplating my existence.

Tiger Trap is a very recent entry that I also feel like a lot of people here would dig. It's basically the answer to the question "What if Alvvays made an old-school punk album?" The SourGrass EP is just as good, but I consider it an extension of the debut album and I didn't really wanna give it a whole dedicated spot

1집 and Fetch I also heard for the first time this year. All I can say is that each of these albums FUCKS. God damn.

Couldn't really name what all of my favourite albums are, but some that have truly impacted me/my life/the way I look at music/writing are;

Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves (2018)

There's a reason it won album of the year, Kacey manages to combine her country melodies, emotional, soft timbre and pull in her current emotions to create such a masterpiece. Slow Burn being a beautiful opener talking about going at your own pace, taking a step back and looking at the beauty of the world, High Horse is a fun, disco tinged pop song but still managing to fit into the country soundscape and Space Cowboy really shows the power of Kacey's writing abilities. A gorgeous album that perfectly encapsulates the highs and lows of married life, drifting apart from loved ones as you age and self acceptance. Taking acid also helped.

Folklore - Taylor Swift (2020)

Funnily enough, another AOTY winner. Taylor is a master at her craft, combining her usual storytelling, diaristic pop styled writing and then putting it into its own story, but still managing to combine her own life into it is a very hard thing to do, it can either come as too metaphorical and be nonsense, or sound like a boring fairytale but she walks the fine line and perfects her craft. Songs like My Tears Ricochet lend itself to Taylor's own narrative but also fits into the narrative of the overall story she's telling, and I stand by that "I can go anywhere I want just not home" is one of the most heartbreaking lyrics I have ever heard. She also shows that her pop melodies and sensibilities can still play apart in a Folk-led album with "August".

Renaissance - Beyoncé (2022)

Proving that at 40 years old you can still change the game and dictate what the game is - pulling from an immense catalogue of sounds Beyoncé crafts what is her most important, fun and vocally spectacular album. She paid homage to the beautiful, strong, black queer culture that is so often swept under the rug by mainstream media (but the sound runs deep in mainstream pop music) and it was such a stunning result. She truly cements herself as a true icon and legend and the best vocalist of our, and the past generation. There's a lot more I can say about the album but this post was meant to be somewhat short and sweet and it wouldn't be that if I allowed myself to go on.

It's really hard for me to pinpoint my favorite albums. My favorite songs are easier to name. If I had to choose now, I think I would name the following albums

Big K.R.I.T. - 4ever is a mighty long time
There's not an album I've listened to more in my teenage years. The range of emotions and moods that this album has is just as varied as the sound, and just like the sound, it all has a particular character that is always present and tied to the charisma of K.R.I.T. Just a very beautiful and special Hip-Hop work to me

Kendrick Lamar - To pimp a butterfly
Yeah yeah I know, there's probably nothing more cliché to put here for a hip hop head of my age. But I just can't deny that this LPs message, it's writing and the emotions that come up resonate with me on a deeply personal level, whilst Kendrick is easily able to present his own struggles and his perspective on societal issues. This album is one of the most important stories ever told and tackles the topics that it covers in many ways better than other piece of art ever did - despite all of these topics being so often covered. You could say I am biased as a racial minority in saying this, but I suppose that's kinda the point.

Gorillaz - Demon Days
Picking a single favorite album from the Gorillaz is difficult, I really do love all of their LPs and they're my favorite band. However, Demon Days just makes me nostalgic of the mid 2000s and reminds me of the climate of the time - which is in strong contrast and yet very similar to our modern world, more than 15 years later.

So yeah, just three albums. As I've said, it's very hard for me to pick. I think the main reason for it is that I often look at songs as pieces of art by tehmselves, whilst neglecting their position in an album and the context that comes with it. Some other albums I really like, but wouldn't say are favorite material:

MF DOOM - MM..FOOD
Either this or Madvillainy, but I think I bumped MM..FOOD a lot more and I think it's more accessible and can be listened more on repeat.

Marvin Gaye - I want you
Marvin Gaye is my prime example of artists where I mostly just look at the songs and less at the albums - but if I had to pick a favorite, I would say I want you is just a very sweet LP. Good songs from beginning to end and a very nice vibe to it all.

Beyond those, Bucket List Project from Saba, Satin Psicodelic from Sunni Colon, pretty much anything from BADBADNOTGOOD and Knower are also really high for me. I think you can tell that the vast majority of the music I listen to is from black people, I never knew why, I guess I just vibe with Hip Hop, R&B, Jazz, Funk and other music genres that black people have a strong presence in. I also like J-Pop from artists like Iri or Yukika. Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Kali Uchis, Jorja Smith are also among my most listened to artists
This is perfection

It is hard to pick just one favorite album, as there are so many great ones out there! However, some of our favorite albums include: Under the Red Sky by Bob Dylan, X&Y by Coldplay, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd

just a bunch of albums I like from different artists (one per artist)

Also, any good music recommendations?
1FBCD38B-80B6-442A-BB87-F6CAFD977E6A.jpeg

July Edit: My music taste is SO MUCH BETTER THAN THIS NOW. Thank god for music reccomendations.

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bumpin makes me feel good

Been listening to a toooon of music this summer (and this year) so I should really wait a bit, but oh well, I can post again at the end of the year.
Here's a mid-year update (Any recommendations are much appreciated!!)

1690242727938.png

Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today (Hardcore Punk): Big recency bias since I first heard this two weeks ago, but this record is seriously so infectious. It has absolutely INSANE manic energy, and it yet it never feels unapproachable. The songs may feel same-y if you think too hard about them, but they're still a ton of fun to listen with the constant and somehow seamless tempo changes. It's so hard to pick a favorite track on this, but it might be Competition simply because the midway tempo change is THAT fucking cool. In fact, this album has a lot of short songs and clocks in at less than 25 minutes, and then the album's pacing and frequency of tempo shifts makes it feel like a far longer and more complete album than you might expect. And somehow, the lyrics are written so well and poetically that it's kinda shocking given their high energy delivery and cadence. To go back to the second half of Competition:

1690240695889.png

Sometimes they're silly, but it's never in a snarky or cringey way, it's just legitimately entertaining somehow
1690240601303.png

Might get sick of it eventually but right now I love love LOVE this record. I still adore Slant since they're criminally underrated and, ya know, actually active, but I might like this record more than Slant's...

Tricot - T H E (Math Rock, J-Rock): Kept putting this one off until recently, but yes, it really is THAT good. Brilliant combination of crazy rhythms featuring time signature and tempo shifts with accessible J-Rock songwriting. Been growing on me more and more.

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet (Dream Pop, Indie Pop): Psychopomp is still a masterpiece in my eyes, but Soft Sounds has really been on my mind lately. It's a lot cleaner and more straightforward, but the variety of songs is definitely impressive, and I have to be honest in loving it when every track is just that good and memorable

Dabda - But, All the Shining Things Are (Math Rock, Indie Rock, Dream Pop): THE MOST UNDERRATED BAND RIGHT NOW. I beg you all, please listen to Dabda, it boggles my mind that they don't even have 2,000 listeners on Spotify (would also like to shoutout fellow band in the Korean Underground that is absurdly underrated, Soumbalgwang who are sitting at 500 listeners). Much in the way that Tricot merges Math Rock with J-Rock, Dabda merges Math Rock with pleasant Indie Rock that really borders on Dream Pop at times, but still has its moments of high energy. They've got an EP coming out in the coming weeks that I'm pretty excited for. Praying they tour the US one day....

Lil Yachty - Let's Start Here (Neo-Psychedelic, Psychdelic Rock, The Kitchen Sink): The more I kept playing tracks on this album, the more I've had to accept that this album really is one of my all-time favs despite coming out this year. I have heard a fair number of Prog and Psych albums in the past year, but I have yet to hear one that can match the incredible variety, seamless flow, and INSANE highlights that this album has. Yeah, it's got its rough spots, but I have to take a step back and recognize that I've Officially Lost Vision is one of the most insane (and yet accessible) songs I've ever heard, and the final three tracks of Should I B, The Alchemist, and Reach the Sunshine is one of the greatest three track runs I've ever heard. I'm probably overrating it on this topster, but I really would be impressed if another album ends up being my favorite for the year.

Joanna Wang - Galaxy Crisis (VGM-inspired/Kero Kero Bonito vibes): Yet another insanely underrated work. If you recognize Joanna Wang, you probably know her for her Mandopop work. Hilariously though, it turns out Joanna Wang is secretly a massive nerd, and she put out this goofy little album that predates even Kero Kero Bonito's first EP. It's hard to say what exactly makes this album work so well, but maybe it's just that the whimsicality and playfulness of it is just so addicting. For example, Pressure's On Me has this simple and catchy synth piano instrumental, lots of "bom bom bom!" onomatopoeia in the vocals, and the lyrics are about the social anxiety of ordering food at a restaurant LOL. I've described it as like an album made by Ashley from WarioWare, and if that sounds like something you'd be into, I highly highly recommend this.

Five Star Hotel - Gray Data (Power Noise, Trap EDM): WHAT THE FUCK!?
1690240426695.png

Listen to this album if you think Death Grips is boring. In all seriousness, I listened to a lot of Monstercat and other EDM in undergrad, and the final set of drops on Full Circle (around the 3:40 mark) is easily my favorite EDM drop of all-time. TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN IF YOU LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)