Your Top 10 Favourite Video Games of All Time

1. Half-Life
The original, the best. This game is still WAY ahead of it's time. Set the standards for first-persons shooters to come, but I don't think it's ever been beaten. Half-Life 2 came pretty close, but I just can't say it topped this timeless classic.

2. Jak & Daxter Series
The best damn trilogy next to the original Star Wars'. Jak & Daxter was one of the first PS2 games to ever come out, and I fell in love with it. I also loved how the storyline progressed form light to dark and to light again. It came before Ratchet & Clank, so you it deserves more respect.

3. Pokemon Red/Blue
Gold? Silver? You guys can't be serious. Nothing beats the original storyline, ditching mom to go on a quest to become the greatest Pokemon master of all, and kicking Team Rocket's ass along the way.

4. Resident Evil 4
Damn, this was definetly one of the most intense games I've ever played.
Tight controls, awesome boss fights, and a great story with thrills that just kept coming.

5. God of War
Ahhh, my dear Kratos, even though your a complete asshole you still have a special place in my heart. The first game defenitely had a superior story to the second one, and imo more memorable boss fights, no matter how few there were. This was the first game to really make you feel like one sick badass.

6. Super Mario Bros.
I honestly don't think this needs explanation.

7. Silent Hill 1+2
I've always been a big fan of survival horror, and these were the games that kicked off the genre for me. Only the Japenese could come up wiht subject matter so sick and twisted, and I respect them for that. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th games were made by mostly Americans, and they lost most of their luster. But the first two weren't just scary, they were disturbing on a satanic level that stays with you long after you finish the games. And who can forget everybody's favorite friendly neighborhood necropheliac from hell, Pyramid Head?

I know it's not ten, but I can't think of any others at the moment. The nostalgia has got the best of me.

th - that was also the storyline of gold and silver
Exactly my point. They fucking rehashed the same storyline for all the preceding pokemon games. That's why I love Red and Blue so much, because they were the only ones that really seemed original. I'm not hating on Gold and Silver, I just can't say as an overall game they had a more lasting effect on me than Red/Blue. Hell, they even introduced my favorite Pokemon of all time, Kingdra.

That's definitely one of the oddest list i've seen.
IMHO that is a great list. Mine would go:
10. Final Fantasy 2/4(whichever you call it by)SNES, GBA, DS
- a great game that i have been playing ever since i was 4.
9. Golden eye N64
- a great game and do not dis me i loved this game.
8. street fighter 2 SNES
- the best fighter game i have ever played
7. pokemon pearl/diamond NDS
- yeah i love this game :D
6. pokemon crystal GBC
- yeah another great game.
5. paper mario N64
- even though i never beat it, it is an fricken awesome game.
4. kirby superstars SNES
- yeah a great game with a lot of variants.
3. super mario world SNES
- yeah great game
2. Tales of Symphonia GCN
- a awesome game with a very good story line and a very long game while at it.
1. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World Wii
- again same as above but not as long

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is nothing wrong with the list it's just a very random combination of games.
How does that make any sense at all? His list includes a bunch of high quality games and it's random now?

I think the oddest list is probably TalesFan's list which includes Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World at #1.

Exactly my point. They fucking rehashed the same storyline for all the preceding pokemon games. That's why I love Red and Blue so much, because they were the only ones that really seemed original. I'm not hating on Gold and Silver, I just can't say as an overall game they had a more lasting effect on me than Red/Blue. Hell, they even introduced my favorite Pokemon of all time, Kingdra.
Original story vs superior graphics (lol, but true!), gameplay and much better online play (not supported by nintendo, but not important, we all had gsbot or netbattle..).

How does that make any sense at all? His list includes a bunch of high quality games and it's random now?

I think the oddest list is probably TalesFan's list which includes Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World at #1.
It makes sense when you don't assume things. When I say odd I mean the combination of those ten games. I not anywhere in any of my posts state that I think any of those games aren't excellent games. Odd =/= Bad. Let's leave the high school mentality in the lockers with the school books.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It makes sense when you don't assume things. When I say odd I mean the combination of those ten games. I not anywhere in any of my posts state that I think any of those games aren't excellent games. Odd =/= Bad. Let's leave the high school mentality in the lockers with the school books.
High school mentality? What? You're making less sense than his list o.o; The combination makes perfect sense considering the tastes I've seen him display on these boards. A lot of us play a diverse range of games ya know.

Firestorm

Because I've never, ever seen it mentioned as anything even close to Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Destiny Remake, or Tales of Rebirth.

I've heard it's decent. Better than expected. But yeah, no where near the level of the above titles. I was supposed to start it a few days ago but I forgot I lent out my GCN memory card to a friend and want to get it back before I start. I also want to start in winter break so I don't have to break up my play sessions due to final projects and exams.

My Top 10 (this is a favourites topic, not best game ever):
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The impact this had on me at 12 years old or whatever age I was at the time is unbelievable. Before this game, all I'd played were very linear games that were either 2D or basically 2D. I had never played a game with an open world before. Reading about it in a Nintendo Power I'd borrowed from the library, I was absolutely amazed. I couldn't phantom how it worked. When they said you travelled from Hyrule Castle to Kokiri Village, I thought they meant there's two spots and you follow a path like in Super Mario Bros. You know, connected by a line... Yeah.

When I got a good report card, my parents took me to Zellers and I remember picking it up. My brother and I beat it together and it took us about 1.5 - 2 years. We got stuck in both Jabu Jabu's Belly and the Water Temple for months. We had no internet so the only help we got was when we looked it up at the library using the computers there. It was an amazing gaming experience.

Good thing I wasn't a fan before though. When the game launched in Canada it was $99.99. I got it for the low low Player's Choice price of $49.99.

2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Fuck you Mario. This is the greatest platformer ever made. Mario never had Blast Processing! As you can see, I was a Genesis kid. I was 4 or 5 years old when my uncle was going to come to Canada. He was staying in Seattle for a month or two before making the move. He asked me what I wanted and I asked for an SNES. He said if I wanted a "Sega". He told me it was like the same thing so I said sure. I wasn't picky. He gave me a Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog and I became an instant fan. I was obsessed with Sonic games.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was my favourite of them all. The multiple pathways, the multiple characters, the amazing level design, the awesome replay value, everything. It was just amazing to me. It even had co-op! It's what got me through my chicken pox in the 2nd grade.

3. Pokemon Red
I didn't have cable when I was in grade 4. I remember my friends always talking about Pokemon. It was the new thing and it was huge. I'd sometimes play on my friends' Game Boys and it was awesome. For my birthday my friend came over and I played his Game Boy and started a new game without saving. Used Charmander because everyone would pick the other ones and I wanted to be different. Got up to Mt. Moon and loved every minute. The next week, I took the money I'd got for my birthday and picked up Pokemon Red. My first game I bought real money and I played through it like 20 times.

Fun fact: My username comes from the nickname I gave my Charmander.

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
This is much more recent. I actually didn't think Melee was too great at first. I thought of it as overrated and boring. Then in the 10th grade, I started leaving my GCN at my friend's house across from school. We'd go after classes and play sometimes. One of my friends picked up some advanced techniques. Then we picked up on it. Then a huge number of our friends all started playing regularly again. It's an awesome, awesome multiplayer game and I've had a ton of great memories playing it. I thought Brawl would replace it for sure on this list, but a bunch of issues to do with the game and how old I am made that impossible. Harder to get together after school each day when you all go to different universities, different jobs, and different majors.

5. Tales of Symphonia
To be honest, Vesperia is a better game in every objective way, but I just really really loved Symphonia. Abyss is also probably a better game if I looked at it from an objective point of view. Symphonia was my first Tales game. It was probably my first real traditional jRPG. I mean, I'd owned a Genesis, N64, and GCN. Not the greatest RPG systems. I never had Phantasy Star on my Genesis and my NES broke down so fast it didn't even count. The real time battle system just grabbed me. I spent the entire summer of 2004 playing it I think. It was just before I started buying too many games to really keep up with my backlog. I still remember printing out a sidequest FAQ after finishing the game and just going through it all. Damn good memories.

The rest I'll just list in no particular order:
Advance Wars
Metroid Prime
Bioshock
Super Mario 64

I can't think of a tenth one that really stands out to me. Yeah, it's really Nintendo focused I know.

High school mentality? What? You're making less sense than his list o.o; The combination makes perfect sense considering the tastes I've seen him display on these boards. A lot of us play a diverse range of games ya know.
Someone thinking that my stating that the list is odd meant that I thought it was a bad list would be a high school mentality. I would really appreciate it if you stopped putting words into my mouth. If you can't read correctly then don't reply, it's that simple. And are you insinuating that I don't play a wide range of games myself? What are you basing that off of?

Firestorm

Someone thinking that my stating that the list is odd meant that I thought it was a bad list would be a high school mentality. I would really appreciate it if you stopped putting words into my mouth. If you can't read correctly then don't reply, it's that simple. And are you insinuating that I don't play a wide range of games myself? What are you basing that off of?
Nope, wasn't insinuating that. I thought you meant that it was odd because it crossed too many genres. I'd honestly like to know what was odd about his list because I see nothing out of the ordinary.

Nope, wasn't insinuating that. I thought you meant that it was odd because it crossed too many genres. I'd honestly like to know what was odd about his list because I see nothing out of the ordinary.
Sorry for the late reply, I had a nice long explanation game by game as to what I was thinking then lost it when we lost power in this recent ice storm. :pirate:

Basically my reasoning was the list was comprised mainly of games that are considered to be the best of the franchise, which I rarely ever see. That's why I thought it was odd.

Sorry for the late reply, I had a nice long explanation game by game as to what I was thinking then lost it when we lost power in this recent ice storm. :pirate:

Basically my reasoning was the list was comprised mainly of games that are considered to be the best of the franchise, which I rarely ever see. That's why I thought it was odd.
As opposed to the games that are considered the worst of the franchise?

Or just games that aren't considered the number one game of the franchise. For example someone liking A Link to the Past or Link's Awakening over Ocarina of Time. Not like someone liking the CD-i games over Ocarina of Time.

Firestorm

You're using Zelda as an example to illustrate his point when he has Majora's Mask listed?

Which by the way is totally inferior to Ocarina of Time :o True facts. Look it up. Wikipedia says it's true (or will once I edit it).

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
People's taste in games is almost as varied as people's taste in music, and we can get pretty defensive about our musical taste. The same seems to be true for games, but there are some games we can at least all agree deserve a top ten spot (OoT, for example, seems to be high on almost everyone's list). That said, I wont be listing my top ten, since its too hard for me to decide after about 20 years of gaming, but I'm surprised it took 5 pages before the first mention of S3&K.

I agree that making a best of all list is beyond impossible because there is simply too many good games to pick from. One could go old-schoolish while others would steer closer to what is considered epic or genre-defining. Also agree that a list by genre or console is a more palpable task.

Even then, being unbiased is almost impossible. You see, I dislike Super Metroid. While I can understand its importance, I find it boring. I am an heretic. One of my favorite games on the N64 is Mischief Makers. While some people will scream "fuck yeah" (hi CK) most will go "it is kinda innovative but no". My friend loathes Chrono Trigger. He is an heretic. But he, too, acknowledges the impact it had. You have to be open-minded to stop and think "alright, I think Mario is gay and Ryu my balls but Super Mario 64 defined 3D Platform and Street Fighter II, 2D Fighting".

You're using Zelda as an example to illustrate his point when he has Majora's Mask listed?

Which by the way is totally inferior to Ocarina of Time :o True facts. Look it up. Wikipedia says it's true (or will once I edit it).
Exactly, but I picked the two games I see picked more over OoT. MM isn't one I see picked as heavily considering WW is the same artistic style and from what I have seen picked over MM for the most part.

I personally didn't play MM, so I wouldn't know. But to be honest I'd probably disagree with you but discussing the Zelda games is hardly on topic for this thread. ;)

This really isn't a list of the "best" I guess, just my favorites. Although the top 2 I have are easily some of the best ever, if not the best.

In no particular order (except the last). My favorite games tend to be games that I've spent lots of time on or had great memories playing with friends. Replay value, multiplayer, and time are really important.

Super Smash Brothers Melee (but others great too)
-My favorite party game ever; I dont' know how many nights I've spent with friends kicking each others asses with our favorite nintendo games. I say melee because it had so much replay value with all those event matches, trophies, etc. and so many ways to play as well. So many ways to play with all the items, special rules. Simply amazing.

Halo
My favorite FPS. Sure it has some faults that makes it not as fun compared to some games (no online, only 4 players, no computers unlike a game like Timesplitters 2) but in terms of an amazing FPS, this is it. I loved the different guns being so unique, the story, the combat(grenades, shields, vehicles), it was just so great. Going legendary with my friends was great.

Pokemon GSC
-My favorite pokemon game by far. It had so many pokemon, two entire regions together, and had the magic of being...pokemon. Spent many many hours on this game training level 100 pokes and then duking out against friends (and dominating of course, that was at least half of it)

Timesplitters 2
-Call my crazy, but I loved this wacky FPS. Because it was wacky. Sure the story was pretty sucky, the guns were rigged, the AI dumb, but it was so much fun. 16 computers? Awesome! So many characters, guns, those bonus matches just made this game so fun to play. Multiplayer was amazing of course; four friends vs. an army of computers in capture the flag. Or sometimes it was get the kill count as high as you can.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
-Another game with plenty of faults, but this game just absorbed me. Airplane trips were never the same with all the extra missions, the storyline, and training the characters. It was kinda easy once I got the right items at the right time though. But kicking ass with dual masamunes at only level 20 never felt so good.

Lufia: The Legend Returns
-What a fantastic game. I picked up a pirated version in China and spent the rest of the card/bus/airplane/train rides just playing this game like crazy. It was totally epic with an immersive story, awesome weapons, characters, and it was easy to play (despite being in chinese so I could barely read).

Mario Party (whatever number)
-Yes, I'm putting mario party in my list. Few games can give as much fun as this game can when you are with a bunch of friends on a Friday night. So many games and really competitive in a fun way. I don't know how many parties I've had playing this game.

Diablo II
-Diablo II is simply an amazing rpg game. Story sucks but whatever, hacking and slashing monsters with spells and abilities with awesome weapons is just too good. And like the next game, its the online play that really lets it shine. Blizzard did a great job in making playing with other people really fun. But it's the hunting for rare items and runes with a souped up character to make more souped characters really fun. I mean, having a hero that can destroy a god of evil in a couple seconds is simpy amazing. I've spent so much time playing this game with my hammerdins, blizz sorcs, zealot, and just trading with others to get items. Truly an addictive game.

Starcraft
Great. Fucking. Computer game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably my number 2 in best games, but could easily be number 1. I know not of a single computer game better than this. What other game has a country (South Korea) devoted to it? Absolutely amazing. The single player has a great storyline, it was reasonably difficult (or very fun and easy with cheats), and was fantastic. And playing against multiple computers was okay too. But of course its battle net that makes this game FUCKING ROCK! Playing against people all over the world is awesome, but starcraft is so well balanced and competitive, its amazing. No race is better than the others, and they are all completely unique. And unlike other real time strats, starcraft is fast paced and required both macro and micro to be good. Blizzard was genius in their ability to make it competitive based on skill. And of course UMS maps are great too; being able to play starcraft versions of games is amazing. Some of the games on UMS could become amazingly successful games by themselves. The possibilities are limitless; rpgs, playing against a rigged computer, dodge michael jackson, siege of gondor (my favorite UMS by far), games just on micro, defense games, -my god, there is no end to the number of great games on starcraft.

I don't think there is another game that offers what starcraft does.
Maybe it is my number 1 game. Okay, its tied for number one, since the other one is epic in a different way.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-Yep, its Zelda up there again vying for first place. It doesn't have as much replay value except for hunting for secrets, but the story mode is...the best ever. An epic adventure with an amazing story with awesome characters. No other game has a single player that can really stack up with Ocarina of time. And of course the way you play it is great; the great combat, the difficult dungeons. Man, this game just sucked my life away as I attempted to beat it w/o a guide (I cheated for water dungeon hehe). The items were ridiculously cool and most of them really unique, the music, graphics, and landscape too. Absolutely loved it. Link became my favorite character ever after I spent all that time.

Can we list MMO's also/ Do they count? If so,

1. Call Of Duty 4
Obviously, Call of duty has taken my life and turned me into a huige geek, luckily I calmed down before I got to tenth prestige. This game will be alive for decades.

2. Gears Of war 2
I just got this game today, it's really incredible. The only slight downfall is the fact the Xbox live takes forever to matchmake.

3. Ragnarok Online
Easily one of the best MMO's, loads of classes with expanisons coming out quicker and stronger than ever!

4. Shoddy Battle
As much as I hate 1337 H4x on this game, it has made me "i feel that it has" made me alot smarter and wittier. It makes you think, and I like that.

5. Guitar hero 3
Does this really need a description?

6. GunZ the Duel
Gunz is a really fun game with corruptions that make the game what it is. Kstyle, Dstyle, and spamming (the no0o0bs lol) make this game so much more fun than if it was just spam and roll.

7.Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon stadium easily outclasses battle revolution. It has minigames, gym leaders, and is pretty much what I would consider an RPG, without doing all the hard grinding and such.

8. Pokemon Diamond/ Pokemon Red
I think that this deserves a top spot. They're extremely fun, and I think that they're the best in the series out of the others.

9. Super Mario (NES)
Even though this probably deserves a higher seat on the top 10 ladder, I only played while I was 3-7, and it pretty much taught me everything about video games.

10. Finally, we've reached ten. I have to say, Ratchet and Clank, going commando. This game has huge Rpg elements, but also is a platformer. Not only a platformer, but an inituitive platformer.

That's my top 10 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)