Z-Move Discussion

I can't speak for lower tiers (although in theory, I think you are right), but my biggest concern is how much more damage is a Z-Dragon move doing compared to a LO Draco? And is avoiding the SpAtk drop (or other downsides potentially) and the one-time nuke worth losing the extra damage over the whole battle? I think its really hard to say without testing and getting an actual feel for it in-game.
Against a high-priority target, certainly. If this thing gets off the Z-Draco, and its opponent is not a Fairy, Chansey, Blissey, or a specially-defensive Steel, something dies. Period.

It's a lot like the Gems from the Gen V metagame, except the Gem can't be knocked off and there's no risk of missing or stat drops.

Do Z-Destiny Bond and Z-Grudge have any priority to allow them to work like Follow Me/Rage Powder? Or do you just need to run them on a fast mon?

Ah nice nice. That is so tempting to use on Decidueye, but I have an Alolan persian with the Dark Z cyrstal for Parting shot. If I didn't have Persian I would so do that, for easy to set up curses.
Alolan Persian doesn't get Parting Shot, only Pangoro, Pancham and Silvally :D get this move... Here's the movesets datamine: https://paste.ee/r/zYMUr u can Control+F for Parting Shot or Persian-1(-1 is for 2nd form)
Edit: Forgot about Smeargle

Alolan Persian doesn't get Parting Shot, only Pangoro, Pancham and Silvally :D get this move... Here's the movesets datamine: https://paste.ee/r/zYMUr u can Control+F for Parting Shot or Persian-1(-1 is for 2nd form)
Edit: Forgot about Smeargle
That list has errors for Alolan egg moves (for example, it has Heat Wave under Alolan Vulpix which was already confirmed to be false).

This list has Parting Shot for Alolan Persian: https://projectpokemon.org/research/sunmoon/learnsets.txt

Do we know if Z-Moves are affected by weather?
For example; does Hydro Vortex get boosted in the rain?
Sorry if this was answered before, I just couldn't find it.

One notable thing that I've recently run across is Z-Earthquake from uninvested Latios OHKO's Heatran, even through Grassy Terrain, which seems like it could make for a very effective lure, and would go a long way to dismantling what will surely be a popular core.

that seems to be the use of the offensive Z Moves in general. Lures.

Its not a bad niche to have.

Status Z Moves like Parting Shot and Splash tho, are very interesting.

Might be worth noting that Azumarill gets Splash. People already go with BD, so who knows. It seems like the only decent user of it (Gyara doesn't really have the speed, and lacks priority).

So, question.
Will Z-crystal Dragalge be viable? It seems like the Adaptability boost on top of the massive damage might work out - but is it at all better than just plain old Choice Specs Dragalge?

So, question.
Will Z-crystal Dragalge be viable? It seems like the Adaptability boost on top of the massive damage might work out - but is it at all better than just plain old Choice Specs Dragalge?
Not having a SpAtk drop, and being able to feign a Choice Set, while surprisingly switching moves could potentially make it worth it, but it will be team dependent and down to preference I think (This opinion might change once looking at some calcs).

Not having a SpAtk drop, and being able to feign a Choice Set, while surprisingly switching moves could potentially make it worth it, but it will be team dependent and down to preference I think (This opinion might change once looking at some calcs).
I'm not sure - you'd have to be able to OHKO the pokemon with an unboosted Sludge Bomb for that to work. Which granted, is possible, but still.

Z-Geomancy is going to be a problem in Ubers.
Yes, you waste one turn to get the effect but after that... you pretty much won the battle. With Dual Screen/Aurora Veil Support you can pull the strategy without problems.

Even the best check in the tier (Aegislash) gets OHKOed by Xerneas and with +1 on defense and possible screens still up, you barely lose HP to priority (ExtremeSpeed or Bullet Punch)

+3 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Blade: 307-362 (94.7 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Z-Geomancy is going to be a problem in Ubers.
Yes, you waste one turn to get the effect but after that... you pretty much won the battle. With Dual Screen/Aurora Veil Support you can pull the strategy without problems.

Even the best check in the tier (Aegislash) gets OHKOed by Xerneas and with +1 on defense and possible screens still up, you barely lose HP to priority (ExtremeSpeed or Bullet Punch)

+3 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Blade: 307-362 (94.7 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Roar.

I mean, that's how you deal with normal Geomancy, right?

You don't need to be able to use Last Resort to use Evoboost, it just needs to be on the moveset.
So hypothetically something like this could happen:

Eevee vs Pokemon
Turn 1:
Eevee uses Evoboost, +2 to All stats
Eevee uses Last Resort, it fails.
Pokemon uses idgaf or switches out to a counter.

Turn 2:
Eevee uses Baton Pass
etc. and so forth

I just want to know exactly what we're dealing with here.....

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, just going on what a friend has told me. Eevium is a postgame quest reward so I haven't tried it myself yet.

I want to be cautious mentioning this but... While illegal currently on Showdown, Bulbapedia lists that there was a Local Event recently (ended September 30th) in which you could receive a Greninja with Happy Hour... The Z-Move counterpart of the aforementioned move boosts all stats by one stage.

Goodbye?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_local_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VI#Cinema_Greninja

EDIT: Does boosting "All Stats" include evasion and accuracy? It does not.

Last edited:
Just to clarify something, and I'm sorry if someone else has asked this but I didn't feel like trawling through 7 pages, and it wasn't in the OP or the links, are the damage dealing Z moves physical or special? Does it depend on the original move? For example, if I used Leaf Blade would Bloom Doom be physical while if I used Energy Ball it would be special?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)