ORAS OU Zard X/Clef/Torn-T Balance - peaked 1620, #225

Hello, this is a balanced Mega Charizard X team I built recently and has been doing alright so far.

upload_2015-5-17_15-18-9.png

I started off with this core from bludz since I like Zard X and have been trying to get it to work :/

Next I added Skarm as a fairy check and also for strong physical attackers such as Lando-T, Weavile, Mega Lop and Mega Metagross.

Rocky Helm Garchomp was next to check Talonflame and Bisharp and to rack up residual damage to make it easier for Zard to sweep.

The last member was Reflect Type Starmie as I needed a spinner or defogger but didn't want to be even weaker to Bisharp.

The Team In-depth

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Soft-Boiled

The first setup sweeper, very useful to absorb status such as paralysis, burn or toxic. Clef needs to be kept healthy to deal with Thundurus, though I haven't run into many on the ladder yet. Encore helps to check other setup sweepers like Volcarona or Manaphy. Standard spread to deal with Thundurus with 4 speed Evs to creep other clefs and encore them.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- U-turn

In my opinion, one of the best pivots in OU right now, being able to take many special attacks such as Draco from latios/latias and threaten a knock off/u-turn. Tornadus also helps with the rain matchup if you can get it in safely. Also checks non-Rock slide lando-I. HP Ice for Gliscor, Lando and Garchomp. Max speed to outrun alakazam and to get off a knock off vs other torn-t. Standard 160 spA to OHKO Keldeo and the rest in HP.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 96 HP / 220 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

The star of the show, Charizard's unique typing lets it setup on mons like Rotom-W while being immune to burns. It still hates paralysis and poison which Clef helps to absorb while Zard helps to remove steel types for clef. The spread outspeeds Scarf Lando-t at +1 while OHKOing with Flare Blitz after rocks with the remainder dumped in HP.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

Skarm acts as the main check to fairies such as Diancie and Altaria and also physical attackers like Excadrill and Weavile. Iron head was chosen to mainly hit Mega Diancie. Spikes + Rocky helmet wear down the opponents team for zard. Standard Max hp max defense.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Endure

Tankchomp is great as it checks mons like Bisharp and Lando-T while being able to set up rocks. Rocky helm gets damage on Megagross and lopunny and endure can get even more damage on those megas and also Azumarill. Endure also helps damage talonflame which is a big threat if it sets up as garchomp is my only check to it. The spread creeps jolly Bisharp, max Hp and rest in defense to tank hits better.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Reflect Type

Starmie is nice as it allows me to spin away hazards which annoy zard while keeping up my own spikes/rocks. Reflect type avoids being easily killed by Bish, also useful to be able to spin on/burn Ferrothorn without being annoyed by leech seed. Natural Cure also helps to absorb some status.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Soft-Boiled

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- U-turn

EVs: 96 HP / 220 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Reflect Type

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Endure

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

THREATS

I need to get Zard mega-evo'd early to have a switchin as to not pressure clef too much. It's still really annoying to deal with as it gets free momentum off a volt switch every time it comes in on torn or skarm. The only real counterplay is blocking the volt switch with chomp and going into zard directly after to get off some damage with dragon claw or set up a DD.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-233061898 vs Mega Gyara offense

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-233281276 vs Mega Diancie balance

Will probably add some more if I get any good ones.

Thanks for reading! :p

The team looks really solid and IMO the Clef, Char-X and Tornadus core is one of the best right now as it destroys most balance teams. The biggest nitpick I have with the team is putting encore over heal bell on Clef as heal bell gives you much more utility and most setup sweepers will either switch out or attack knowing that they cant touch Clef. Heal bell also assists in your sweeping potential as you do not fear being hit with toxic or will-o-wisp while setting up. Overall the team looks really good and endure on Chomp is really smart.

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Hey man this is a very solid team and has little problems but there is just a few small things I think can help a little. It may be because I am personally biased but I'm not really a fan of jolly zard-x. Your team is not really in need of a lure for lando-t since you have fat chomp, clef, and skarm to take it on plus it is not nearly as common as it once was. With adamant zard-x essentially has no counters and the extra power on this type of team may be worth it but I guess it is up to what you prefer better really. Also I would keep encore on clef since manaphy can floor this team if it sets up so taking away as many opportunities for it to set up is much appreciated. I'l leave the zard-x spread below if you want to try it out but anyways this is a very solid team you have here congrats on peak:]

EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

try it if you want it's all preference I just like power>speed on zard

The team looks really solid and IMO the Clef, Char-X and Tornadus core is one of the best right now as it destroys most balance teams. The biggest nitpick I have with the team is putting encore over heal bell on Clef as heal bell gives you much more utility and most setup sweepers will either switch out or attack knowing that they cant touch Clef. Heal bell also assists in your sweeping potential as you do not fear being hit with toxic or will-o-wisp while setting up. Overall the team looks really good and endure on Chomp is really smart.
Thanks for the rate, I may try out an unaware clef with heal bell but I feel like clef reveals magic guard quite easily either through status or hazards and encore is more for the setup sweepers that beat clef like manaphy.
Hey man this is a very solid team and has little problems but there is just a few small things I think can help a little. It may be because I am personally biased but I'm not really a fan of jolly zard-x. Your team is not really in need of a lure for lando-t since you have fat chomp, clef, and skarm to take it on plus it is not nearly as common as it once was. With adamant zard-x essentially has no counters and the extra power on this type of team may be worth it but I guess it is up to what you prefer better really. Also I would keep encore on clef since manaphy can floor this team if it sets up so taking away as many opportunities for it to set up is much appreciated. I'l leave the zard-x spread below if you want to try it out but anyways this is a very solid team you have here congrats on peak:]

EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

try it if you want it's all preference I just like power>speed on zard
Now that you mention it I really don't need jolly since I can already deal with lando quite easily, I'll definitely change it and try it out. Thanks for the rate!

Reactions: Mur
Nice and innovative putting endure on chomp never thought about that myself. Also, I think the hazard stacking combination + whirlwind/dragon tail of Skarm and Chomp is well thought off and it could be vital to get that chip damage during a match.
However, I would change Dragon tail > roar so you can force fairies out as well.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Endure

It might be worth to add some sort of status move onto the team because this could help wearing down certain pokemon faster. Of course, you have starmie to use that nice 30% scald to inflict burns, but maybe something else will help you out as well. However, I am unsure what move on which pokemon could be added.

I'm definitely going to steal this team and test it out even more.

Last edited:
Nice and innovative putting endure on chomp never thought about that myself. Also, I think the hazard stacking combination + whirlwind/dragon tail of Skarm and Chomp is well thought off and it could be vital to get that chip damage during a match.
However, I would change whirlwind > roar so you can force fairies out as well.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Endure

It might be worth to add some sort of status move onto the team because this could help wearing down certain pokemon faster. Of course, you have starmie to use that nice 30% scald to inflict burns, but maybe something else will help you out as well. However, I am unsure what move on which pokemon could be added.

I'm definitely going to steal this team and test it out even more.
Thanks for the rate, not quite sure what you mean by whirlwind > roar? Also I can't take any credit for endure chomp, it was actually a set from TFL originally.
I think if I was to use status, maybe Twave clef, or toxic on garchomp or skarm, thanks for the suggestion though.

should try spdef skarm. still takes hits from weavile and exca but also beats annoying fairies like garde and clef and diancie that your team has trouble dealing with.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello!

Mega Charizard is such an awesome Pokemon - and not used to often either, so points to you for a bit of creativity.

There isn't too many threats that are going to give this team 100% difficulty, but due to how standard this team is set up, there isn't much surprise value to this team, making this team a bit predictable in its nature; however, this squad should be set up enough to where, assuming you play your mons well, you can surpass most challenges.

However, there are threats to be considered. Mega Gardevoir in general breaks anything that comes in (including Torn-T) and Diancie, Hidden Power [Fire] variants especially, are going to be a pain to take down. To a minor extent, Life Orb Gengar looks difficult to put down (not impossible, but Gengar is usually paired with things like MLopunny or Thundurus, the former which doesn't mind switching into Knock Off (creating a 50-50 in your only Gengar check) and the ladder can cripple with Thunder Waves and switch into Hurricanes freely). Furthermore, Scizor looks quite annoying if Charizard is taken out, and while Starmie is obviously there to prevent hazards from getting up, some hazard presence + Scizor can be hard to work out.

Stall teams look like they're taken care of on paper, but that's not really the case - Quagsire, Slowbro, MSlowbro, etc. can give Charizard a hard time - especially considering how easy it is for them to consistently set up Stealth Rocks throughout the match, while Clefable is walled by any good steel type (opposing Iron Head Skarmory, Ferrothorns, Mega Scizors) and Unaware Clefable can Thunder Wave check Charizard, and can relatively make a CM Clefable sweep hard to pull off.

-.-.-

Gardevoir and Diancie can be relatively checked and lured through a subtle move change on Tornadus; an Iron Tail set sporting a Hasty nature can dent Gardevoir without relying on Hurricane (and I think it comes close to a KO after some hazard damage piles up) and you can bait out the Diancie and KO them. This works nicely with your Iron Head Skarmory since, together, they can stop Gardevoir from pulling off a midgame sweep, and one can recover for the other if one shall fall. As a bonus, you can dent Spec Sylveons and opposing Clefables easier (some attack investment could be used if this is desirable; I believe 72 was the number to hit, but my memory is scrambled off 0 hours sleep right now - no exaggeration, either).

Endure looks quite unnecessary on Garchomp. Fire Blast is better; yes, I know you typically want to set up on Scizors and Ferrothorns, but removing them makes Clefable's sweep easier, and most players will expect you to soley rely on Charizard for their removal; having other ways to dispatch them could be the difference between a win and a loss; as for losing damage on Azumaril, you have a Skarmory. Why bother staying in with Garchomp when you have freakin' Skarmory?

While Encore looks interesting on Clefable indeed, I feel like it could be running a Wish and Protect set instead, which supports the Rocky Helmet spamming going on and increase the longevity of your spinner and win condition in Charizard. Of course, this is probably more of a preference change, but I do think it could be a beneficial one. Another good change is Heal Bell, and while I know you have Clefable and Starmie to eat up status, you could opt for a Unaware / Analytic sets instead and use Heal Bell; it's utility would allow you to freely use Charizard to defeat Thundurus without worry for Thunder Wave, and setting up on stall and denting threats without fearing Toxics (which would certainly help with the stalls).

Speaking of Rocky Helmets, I'm not sure it is wish to have one on Skarmory. On one hand, the chip damage is beneficial - on the other hand, there's Magnezone. Magnezone + Diancie / Gardevoir could be the end (thankfully, an Iron Tail switch could make these easier - but even still, I would consider...) using a Shed Shell. I don't use Skarmory much, but I was thinking a Specially Defensive set would help against Gardevoir and Hidden Power Diancies more, and it could offer a check to the over-so-present Landorus-I as well, but the defensive set works just fine (although it's role is also being done by Garchomp to an extent). It also assists against Gengar and has a but of surprise factor about it you might wish to consider.

That's all I have for you. Best of luck.

Last edited:

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man nice team, i like to suggest a couple of change to improve ur team, first i think Thunder Wave > Encore help u more on clef cuz u still stop certains threats as u mention and then u can set up calm mind. Second thing is u should make Skarm Spedef > Def because u dont have safe switch in for Diancie, and still being spedef u take care of Metagross and othe Physical type atacker as well u have Tank Chomp that eat hits like a monster, and last u should put Psyshock > Reflect Type on Starmie to deal with sub cm Keldeo. Here the set
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet / Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful
Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

Shed Shell is an option too over Rocky to avoid being trapped by Magnet Pull Users
hope i help u man

Last edited:
Hey there,

i think Serperior over Garchomp may help your team a bit, because it adds some more offensive power and speed. If you make the change, Skarmory can run Stealth Rock, which should be fine since you don't really need Spikes anyway. Counter over Whirlwind on Skarm looks like a good way to punish Lopunny-M, Bisharp, Metagross-M etc., so you may consider that as well.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Glare

Have a nice day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)