Tournament ZUPL II - Commencement Thread

hey!

it's that time, it's been a good season and it came to an unfortunate end today, but I'm really happy with how my team performed.

I'm sorry I was on the negligent side for a lot of the season. I am addicted to league of legends.

Heysup I let you down. Thank you for being as reliable as always. I wouldn't have asked you to play finals after that ridiculous game today. You deserved better for what you've provided to the flamencos for the last two seasons. Same goes for Finchinator. You and Finch have been the foundation and consistency that drove our team forward. At least we smacked the shit out of yovan together.

Ren-Chon: Thanks for playing the shit tier known as BW ZU for another season.

Kiyo, TKO, TNunes, mael, and the rest: Thanks for playing this year, you were all great.

Helpers, especially GOAO especially missangelic and GOAO Yay GOAO hs GOAO Teddeh (fuck you ted) GOAO and especially again uhuhuhu7, thanks for providing a lot of fun for the chat (also GOAO)

My main reason for making this post is so I can give the biggest shoutout I have ever given in my time on smogon: to kay. No matter what I say here, it will not be enough to describe how much kay positively impacted the Flamencos this season. No matter what I say here, it will not be sufficient to describe the close friend I have made this ZUPL.

I'll address this part of the post to you directly now.

I don't even know where to begin when describing how grateful I am for you this season. I always knew you were a good person and a good player and I was beyond happy to get you for the price I did, but I didn't anticipate you becoming the superstar player, builder, and metagame shaper that you've shown yourself to be. You put 10x the effort required and you're the only reason our team got as far as it did. Where I lacked as a manager, you stepped up in every way and went the extra mile. This was your team and this was your season, and you have shaped SS ZU through this tour in a way that you should be proud of. Your motivation and dedication despite my lack of anything of that nature this season was inspiring and I can't wait to see how you keep influencing this tier.

Thank you for being an amazing player, but also for being an amazing friend. My time on smogon has been limited as of late but I'm so excited to continue being your friend going forward and this is why ZUPL has been a wonderful experience for me. I believe that I can confidently say on the behalf of the entire ZU community that we're so happy that you decided to return to ZU, and we're so glad to have you back with us.

I can go on and on but it would be a broken record at this point. You're the real hero of the "ZUPL anime" that everybody keeps referencing.

To everybody on the Flamencos, sorry the season ended like this. I may not have deserved better but you all sure did.

We'll be back next year. And maybe I won't be addicted to a game that's less luck dependent than this shitty game we all play called Pokemon.

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Alola

ZUPL is over. We won. It's honestly still a bit hard to realize what happened but it's incredible. It was one of my objective on this website to lead a team to the victory at the biggest tournament which exists currently in zu. I'm really happy about what we have done. If we won, it's thanks to my players and I want to shoutout them correctly. They worked really hard to reach this result. This is the post where I congratulate everybody in doing namedropping to farm likes.

However, I will still talk quickly about my experience. For the first time being a manager, I couldn't hope for a better ending in seeing my team winning the trophy. It has been a wonderful experience that I advice to anyone, meeting great people is amazing and only big teamtours allow you to know players you wouldn't have met otherwise. For my part, zupl gave me the opportunity to gain a deeper approach of the teambuilding. ZUPL forces me to present several solid builds every week in optimizing the match up and in adapting eventually the team if the player doesn't like a detail or the full archetype. Outside of teambuilding, I have obviously now an experience in manager and it was a lot of fun to be honest, I liked fighting for the rights of my players.

If I had to explain our victory I would explain it due to several factors. We had a team of amazing players first of all, it was not a joke when I said that I had too much players, everyone was at high level. Anyone could play and get a win. It's not the only thing, we had good players but also good builders & helpers always ready to test and build, with ideas when people didn't know the tier. In the last weeks, kay and czim, amazing builders and flooders also joined us in discord to still help us. I had also two shadow assistant managers who were Tack and Aaronboyer so even when I was not there, I knew someone could organize stuff. The atmosphere was really good too and I think it's important to have a discord active because the experience is better for everyone. And last but not least...
lucky charm.PNG

It's Pokemon, if you win the final it's because you have been lucky or at least not being too unlucky. As I said the first day where zupl started, I'm a lucky charm. I bring luck, crits, dodges, secondary effects, golden match ups anywhere I go and to my whole team. I'm half joking (bobochan knows I'm not joking) but we have been blessed in important battles. It's Pokemon and I like saying it's a skill to haxx opponents. This game is a bit stupid sometimes and it's frustrating when haxx is not on your side so my compassion to people we outrageously haxxed during this tour even if it was the best for us. Don't worry, we will continue to haxx you next time.

Now, it's time to congratulate the true real heroes of this tour. In hoping I don't forget anyone, time for shoutouts:

:Hakamo-O: Aaronboyer
Remember when i wanted to trade you week 1 LOL. You have been a great team member since second one, notably immediately useful in telling me to buy Skysolo and avarice. You have been an amazing builder for oras and always there to give ideas of builds or to give advices of how to make line ups. You have been as well a bit my shadow assistant manager when the team needed. I really appreciated getting you in the team, especially since you weren't sure to find your place belong us at the beginning. You werent only a great team member, you are also a nice person. I always appreciated you as a person and as council member. It's a bit sad that the day where we take the trophy is also the day where you step down. Thank for you time and hopefully, see you next year in hakamo-o team.

:Hakamo-O: Alkione
Merci d'avoir transformé mon discord en un gigantesque mème durant 8 semaines. Encore un discord à ton nom que tu peux ajouter sur ta liste. Plus sérieusement, je ne te connaissais que de nom auparavant et je ne suis pas déçu de t'avoir pris et de t'avoir connu. Tu as fait une performance, comme toujours, exceptionnelle, peu importe les builds que l'on te donne et dans des tiers avec les ressources pour le moins obscures. C'est honnêtement bluffant. Et dire que tu as été acheté seulement 3K. Merci pour avoir gagné dans cet untier qu'est l'oras ZU (ça s'appelait FU à l'époque pour une bonne raison). Merci pour l'ambiance du discord aussi, c'était très cool. J'espère qu'on se recroisera dans un prochain tour. Allez, maintenant que tu es libéré de la zupl, décroche la FCL aussi comme ça tu as une seconde coupe à ramener à la maison aux côtés de madame garo.

:Hakamo-o: avarice
Cute user. Even if you have done only two games this year, you did them really in a professional way. The fact that you were volonturary when evigaro couldn't play a battle helped us a lot. We didn't have enough slots to lets everybody plays more unfort but I hope you had a great experience in the team. I didn't know you before the tour and I was happy to meet you. Grookey Gang btw. And tell Akir to unban Silvally Grass and Silvally Psychic, plz, it's for a social experience.

:Hakamo-O: Evigaro
J'espère que tu as supporté les teams que je t'ai donné chaque semaine loool. Promis, plus jamais je te ferai jouer lickitung dans un match. Sinon, je crois que c'est assez évident, merci pour ton niveau jeu qui ont bien aidé la team en terme de victoires, il est clair que ça aurait été plus difficile sinon. Je crois que ce n'est plus à démontrer mais tu es une joueuse extraordinaire. Si c'est sans doute pas le tournoi le plus prestigieux que tu aies remporté, je suis très content d'avoir obtenu la victoire alors que tu étais parmi nous. Et surtout, surtout merci d'avoir apporté un quota de dlc francophone dans l'équipe car j'aurais fini par perdre mon accent belge si je ne devais interragir en fr qu'avec yovan et alkione. J'espère que le ZU t'a plu et qu'on te reverra un de ses quatre dans un tournoi du tier. Et promis, on bannira des trucs, tkt.

:Hakamo-o: Hys
Only few people remind it but it's your second year in the Hakamo-o's team. I don't remember talking with you much last year so I could say that it was really nice to meet you this year. You are really good at Pokemon and you should seriously consider ZU as your second main tier if you have time. I'm pretty sure you could become one of the top player of the metagame. I had too much people, especially in SS to let you playing more battles but everytime there was a missing slot, I tried to send you on the battlefield. You have been an amazing teammate as well in testing when we needed. I recommand anyone buying you for the next tours you join.

:Hakamo-o: Orange memes
I'm so happy that you joined this tour and we end the season like this man. First tour, first victory. You have been a ladder hero during years, very quiet but also very strong and it sucked that people didn't realize how strong you were since outside of the ladder, you didn't talk to people. I think now people at least know who you are in the community. It has been a pleasure to discover again this wonderful tier which is gen7zu with you during our sessions of tests. Even if your last battles weren't that great during the tour, probably due to stress, you have done a solid run in zupl and I'm proud of you for what you have done. I hope you will continue to stay around because you are a wonderful person. Don't be shy to send messages in the chat, everybody likes you. Good luck for classic in SM too.

:Hakamo-o: Pif
You are a so cute user. I was a shadow big fan of you before you joined my team. I'm so glad to have gotten you in Humiliau Hakamo. Always kind, humble, with a golden heart, in any situation. You are one of this person who improved the quality of his website in making this community healthier and enjoyable. You have been a model for me during many years. Thank you to be how you are. I don't think I have to comment much of your result because I think you are unbeaten looool. Thank you to have accepted to play my teams during all these weeks. The ZU community would be really happy if you could stay around. We love you pif.

:Hakamo-O: RawMelon
Long live to the king. Big big big shoutout. You have been my second Tack of the tour with the incredible support you offer in testing in EVERY GEN for anyone who needed tests, whenever and even when you were at work. Thank you also for the builds you provide during the whole season and advices you made when we needed. You are an amazing player as well, I trust your skills and it's the reason why I put you almost only against good players despite it was sometimes challenging. As I already said to orange memes, it was really fun to discover again gen7 ZU with you, a tier I admit more competitive than the current gen 8. I'm glad you joined ZU classic in SM because it means you will stay around for at least few weeks. When you are down for a battle, feel free to challenge, it's always a lot of fun.

:Hakamo-O: Skysolo
And this is the man who won the final battle. Thank you to have turned my whole discord into a meme with Alkione loooool. Nah, more seriously, I didn't know you before this tournament and it has been really nice to meet you. You are a so friendly user, I would buy you only for the slot "shitposting in discord during hours" LOOOOL. Well, however, you are not only a nice flooder, you are also an incredible and skilled player. You have been amazing this season in becoming a main in this really dark tier we call dpp ZU. I'm really glad you had fun in this run, it was beautiful to see. For your first zupl, I'm happy we manage to win the trophy. I hope I will see you around in zu and otherwise, I would come in the Uber room to say hi.

:Hakamo-O: Tack
You have been my kay of the team. I don't think I can be more grateful to someone this year. I don't remember how much I bought you but compared to what you have done, it's nothing. 6-1 in black and white, always there to help people in dpp and amazing shadow assistant manager. When there were battles during the night, I could sleep peacefully because I know if there was a problem of schedule or line up you would have resolved it. People who think you are a loser are blindly mistaken. This year and the team overall would have been so much different if you weren't there that I'm not sure if we would have done playoffs without you. Big big big shoutouts and immensely thank you. And whatever people think about you, I always appreciated you as a person and for your ideas. You are a wonderful woman, Tack.

:Hakamo-O: Yovan33321 aka god
ON A RAMENE LA COUPE A LA MAISON. Gg mon gars. Je suis hyper content d'avoir gagné à tes côtés, c'était un peu notre objectif et j'en suis fier. Et en plus de ça, je crois que je suis aussi ravi que toi d'avoir battu l'équipe de finchinafort deux fois dans le tournoi lolilol. Les Hakamo-o seraient vraiment pas la même équipe sans toi, tu es la star de l'équipe, non seulement tu es volontaire pour affronter n'importe qui, non seulement tu gagnes mais en plus avec style. Je dois avouer que j'ai failli avoir une crise cardiaque quand j'ai vu Blizzi sd dans une équipe mais je sais ce que je signe quand je t'achète (la confiance comme tu dis). Tu es un joueur légendaire. Merci aussi pour le soutien affectif tout au long du tour. Et encore une fois, même si les gens te jugent pour le côté un peu drama, tu es une personne formidable et fondamentalement quelqu'un de bien. Promis, si un jour je sais récupérer un pseudo, je penserai à toi. Et c'est avec plaisir que je rejouerai avec toi Monsieur le Champion.

:Hakamo-o: zS
Ce fut super sympa de t'avoir en compagnon pendant tout le tour. Je suis content de t'avoir pris, ne fusse que pour avoir accélérer la memification de mon discord avec alkione. Tu as été un très bon apprenti en dpp zu , je te recommande aux managers qui voudraient t'acheter en old gen pour tes prochains tours. En plus, tu as été notre quota de francophone non français donc viva la revolucion contre l'impérialisme français. Allez, je reviendrai t'harceler dans la room pu un de ces jours pour te demander des nouvelles du meta et pour demander à akir d'unban silvallié psy et plante.

There are also some people not related to the team that I would like to shoutout quickly

Chokepic
Once his team lost, he has helped in dpp. It's also one of my best friend on showdown so I had to mention him somewhere.

czim
I had a very bad irl problem in the beginning of september with one of my close family member who had a serious health issue. Czim, manager of an other team, accepted to build teams instead of me for that week. Later, when his team lost, he came in the discord to again help building teams. Thank you very much czim. You are amazing. It doesn't change the fact that Magnemite sucks though.

kay
Moral support for the whole tour where we discussed and tested against each other. I sometimes had the impression that he was a player of my team due to the amount of help he gave. After flamenco lost, he came to discord to finally act as a real helper for my team, notably in building the final team pif and yovan used. Thank you kay, we are all so happy of your come back.

laevin
He asks me to shoutout him for... Mmmh... Hum....Well, idk. Hi laevin.

SBPC
Thank you to have helped Tack in BW and for the team you gave me in BW. Still a pleasure to have you in discord.

Tuthur
Ragoter sur les gens, c'est drôle et franchement, si on n'avait pas pu faire ça, la zupl aurait été bcp bcp bcp moins fun et ennuyante. Franchement, la seule chose qui me rend triste dans la victoire de ma team c'est que ça veut dire que ta team n'a pas gagné. Merci d'être un bon ami.

Finally, I want to be thankful to BloodAce to have allowed me to use his discord and the name of the team. It would have been really really less fun if I had to create an other discord for that. Thank you to Wigglytuff to have organized this season in good conditions and Oathkeepre to have helped him and also to be a friend who supported us. Thank you 5gen for the help in administrative issues. Finally, congratulations to every team and to every player who have made this tournament possible and also to every person who has participated in some ways in ZUPL. It has been a lot of fun.

I will post in few days the teams I built for zupl. See you around in the ZU room.

ZU later.

Last edited:
Alright so this is a little late but I still wanted to do some quick shout outs.

Thanks to the hosts for keeping the tour running mostly and especially Oathkeepre. I dont think I've ever played in a tour where match results on the OP were updated so fast.

Thanks to all the Stunkys. It was a really fun season and a bummer we couldn't pull it out in the end.

About my performance, I am proud and disappointed. Glad I was able to go positive but disappointed in myself that I played so passively in all my games. I think the nerves/rust of not playing any 6v6 in probably 4 years had me playing too reactionary and not proactive enough which really did me in a few times.

That being said I had a blast building and trying to think outside of the box to compensate for lack of battling experience. Thank you to everyone who talked ZU with me and help me test. UBERLandon21 uhuhuhu7 kay Tuthur to name a few in particular.

Lastly a special thanks to Ho3nConfirm3d . To be honestly I had very low expectations of being drafted at all with basically 0 ZU experience. I was hoping to maybe be a 3k at the end if I was lucky. Never once did I think I might actually be starting and playing every week. So thank you Ho3n for giving me the opportunity to be part of the team and actually contribute. Im sorry I couldnt pull through in the end but I appreciate your faith in me.

So thats all from me. Im really enjoying ZU and the meta development so I will be sticking around to keep experimenting and hopefully making some videos a long the way :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)