CAP 6 Arghonaut Playtesting

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Use Stone Edge, it does more to Zapdos (who can still shrug off your hits with high physical defense, Roost, and can kill you with Thunderbolt).

hi people. ive tried SCARFgonaut and it works well.

scarfnaut
hp58/ atk200/ spd 252 /adamant
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Waterfall
Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch

decent revenge killer.this is mine. toxicrak walls water/fighting and rock so this works with zen headbutt. (not to mention flinch chance) or ice punch for bulky grasses.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
hi people. ive tried SCARFgonaut and it works well.

scarfnaut
hp58/ atk200/ spd 252 /adamant
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Waterfall
Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch

decent revenge killer.this is mine. toxicrak walls water/fighting and rock so this works with zen headbutt. (not to mention flinch chance) or ice punch for bulky grasses.
I like how you've tested this, especially since Arghonaut doesn't learn Close Combat, not to mention the fact that your EV spread is ridiculous, and that you would be better off using Thunderpunch in the last slot.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
arghonaot gets no close combat, instead use cross chop, and you should use ice punch over zen headbut, but you should really you t-punch instead

Here's my Arghonaut:

BulkyArgho/BulkyNaut/Arghobulk/whatever I'm not good with names
Arghonaut @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 196 HP/140 Def/172 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Return
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Mach Punch

He seems like to be a better Curselax IMO. Btw, I'm not really good at all with making EVs, but these EVs seem to work for me. :P

I use the following Argho:

Arghonaut @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
Cross Chop
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Thunderpunch

this seems to be the standard LO Arghonaut from what I've seen. The most common Argho seems to be Bulk Up Argho.

Bulk Up without Rest seems ineffective to me, and even with Rest, the BU sets I've encountered haven't particularly threatened me. A Chesto Berry might be something to look into if you're trying to sweep I suppose, but even with priority attacks, it doesn't seem that likely.

Offensively, I've been using Argho in place of my Poliwrath with predictably good results. It forces all the expected switches and Recover is a godsend. Yawn might be a fun tool to play around with to punish would-be counters.

I threw together another set to see if Cross Chop would be of any help. With no Attack EVs it did a decent amount to an Empoleon, but Brick Break would have been a 2hko as well, and without Recover, Argho loses his threat status fast.

So you're saying Brick Break > Cross Chop and Recover > something else? I originally had Brick Break on my set, and I was pondering Recover > TPunch.

I like how you've tested this, especially since Arghonaut doesn't learn Close Combat, not to mention the fact that your EV spread is ridiculous, and that you would be better off using Thunderpunch in the last slot.
ha oops i put close combat by mistake. oh now i remember my spread it was hp6/atk252/spd252 plus zen headbutt is for weezing and toxicroak.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You catch Celebi on the switch-in ideally.

heh. Surprisingly I found the best set is SubPunch abusing Swagger with paralysis support .-.

Bulk Up without Rest seems ineffective to me, and even with Rest, the BU sets I've encountered haven't particularly threatened me. A Chesto Berry might be something to look into if you're trying to sweep I suppose, but even with priority attacks, it doesn't seem that likely.
There is the "Croghonaut" set.

Arghonaut (Croghonaut) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk)
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. Def
- Waterfall
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

tennisace's EVs, not mine.

tennisace

ha oops i put close combat by mistake. oh now i remember my spread it was hp6/atk252/spd252 plus zen headbutt is for weezing and toxicroak.
Ok, so could you tell me the last time you saw a Weezing or a Toxicroak, especially with all the Psychic-type attacks being thrown around just for Revenankh. Scarf is a huge waste of potential in and of itself, because to be quite frank Gyarados does it much better, with Intimidate, more useful resistances, and higher attack/speed.

PS: Cronaut sounds better.

Ok, so could you tell me the last time you saw a Weezing or a Toxicroak, especially with all the Psychic-type attacks being thrown around just for Revenankh. Scarf is a huge waste of potential in and of itself, because to be quite frank Gyarados does it much better, with Intimidate, more useful resistances, and higher attack/speed.

PS: Cronaut sounds better.
dude. this is not gyarados. this is arghonaut! plus arghonaut is bulkier. it may have weakness to psychic and flying but look at gyarados! it has 4X weak to electic and a weakness to rock. arghonaut has no 4X weakness.

I'm pretty sure tennis is aware of Arghonaut's and Gyarados's weaknesses. He is just telling you that Gyarados pulls off the Scarf set better.

tennisace

dude. this is not gyarados. this is arghonaut! plus arghonaut is bulkier. it may have weakness to psychic and flying but look at gyarados! it has 4X weak to electic and a weakness to rock. arghonaut has no 4X weakness.
I never realized it wasn't Gyarados! Just because this is Arghonaut, and its a new shiny toy to play with, doesn't change the fact that Gyarados performs it's job much better, not to mention the fact that Arghonaut is a much better defensive Pokemon.

I was trying out a set similar to Swampert's Curse + RestTalk set. The only problem I've found is that Swampert resists Electric because of Ground, so this set isn't as effective. However, since BU doesn't lower speed, I've been running higher Speed, so I can out speed some threats when Sleep Talking / Waterfalling.

The only problem is since most electric attacks are Special, having BU doesn't help make me a better wall in most instances...

On the playtesting note, I've been running a defensive Stockpile set, based on Gastrodon's.

How does this sound?

Arghonaut @Leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 SpDef
Ability: Unaware (or Avast!)

~Stockpile
~Recover
~Waterfall
~Thunderpunch/HP Grass/Toxic

With great defenses, Arghonaut can definitely take some hits, but with the defense boosts from Stockpile, this thing is going to take a lot more than it normally can. Waterfall for STAB, Recover for instant recovery, Stockpile for boosts. I've been having some trouble choosing what to put for the last slot. Thunderpunch hits those bulky waters that wall you and can status back, but HP Grass helps against the Swamperts and his fellow Water/Ground types. I'm currently using Toxic because of the ability to hit both.

It's done very well, but Metal Sound Zapdos and Calm Mind Resttalking Suicune are problems. Any suggestions on this set?

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
i would run HP grass because i see more swamperts/gastrodon than suicune, and HPgrass can still hit suicune.. even though not much, but i dont think tis gonna be as good as gastrodon from the non electric immunity..

tennisace

I'm almost positive that Neutral STAB Waterfall does more than Super Effective HP Grass, considering that Arghonaut's special attack is much worse than it's physical attack, and it's attack isn't that stellar to begin with. If anything I'd run Ice Punch for Celebi/Flying-types, or Toxic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)