DP Research Thread #6 (Even newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Repeating what I said in another thread, but I tried and failed: using a current HP of 11 (which should be easily high enough to avoid triggering the 3hp measurement), a 252 hp Breloom of around level 56-58 (I can't remember the exact value) had its current HP go up on Diamond after feeding it a Pomeg Berry, and a level 70 Lugia with around 180 HP EVs (I EV trained it in a hurry to test, so don't know the exact value) stayed at the same value, 11 HP upon feeding it a Pomeg Berry, on Heart Gold. Therefore, if a 4th gen Pomeg Glitch does exist, my feeling is that it's only on Diamond and Perl.

One obvious thing to test that I haven't yet (and probably will, at least for Diamond and HeartGold, if nobody else does first): what happens (on Emerald, Diamond/Perl, Platinum/HGSS) if one of your Pokémon is fainted, and you put all the others into the PC? What if you have there's also an egg in your party? This would seem to be a trivial way to get the same result as the Pomeg Glitch, unless the game specifically tests for and blocks it.

Score (HGSS)

One element of the game that does not have competitive bearing but has not been researched is the Score displayed on the Trainer Card, and what increases and decreases it. These are some things for which I have tested their effects on the score:

Hatching an egg: Increases by 7.
Recieving an egg: Does not increase.
Winning a wild Pokemon battle: Increases by 2.
Winning a trainer battle: Increases by 3.
Catching a Pokemon and adding an entry to the Pokedex: Increases by 22.
Catching a Pokemon and not adding an entry to the Pokedex: Increases by 2.
Fleeing a wild Pokemon battle: Does not increase.
Finding an item on the ground: Does not increase.
Picking an Apricorn: Increases by 1.
Buying an item: Does not increase.
Selling an item: Does not increase.
Recieving an item from the delivery man: Does not increase.
Exchanging a Shard for Berries: Does not increase.
Hooking a Pokemon with a rod: Does not increase.
Leveling up with a Rare Candy: Does not increase.
Using a Vitamin on a Pokemon: Does not increase.

Obviously, more research will have to be done on the mechanics of the score. This is only part of what could be tested.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm also fairly certain things about the Underground have something to do with the Score as well, while things over Wireless and WiFi don't.

Anyway, last night on IRC we were talking about Giga Impact Slaking, and three tests proved that the recharge turn coincides with the Truant turn. So it would be:
Slaking used Giga Impact
Slaking is loafing off
Slaking used Giga Impact.

just a little something.

Quick question here:

If False Swipe is used on a Pokemon with 1 HP and does not kill it and the same turn the opponent uses Counter against the user of False Swipe, does counter do 0 damage, 1 damage, 2 damage or just fail?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
Firstly, testing of the "If you have 1 fainted mon and deposit the 5 healthy ones"
result:
As you deposit the 5th Healthy one it says "That's your last Pokémon!"
I am also assuming the same happens as with an egg.

Also I failed to get any data on the Underground Score system. It's too random and sporadic. I mean, one perfect dig gave me 3 points, another perfect dig gave me 4 points. And then I had a bonus point out of nowhere.

Firstly, testing of the "If you have 1 fainted mon and deposit the 5 healthy ones"
result:
As you deposit the 5th Healthy one it says "That's your last Pokémon!"
I am also assuming the same happens as with an egg.
I've just confirmed (in HGSS) that the same happens when trying to deposit the last non-egg Pokémon. (I was doing a bunch of breeding anyway, and thought it was worth a test.)

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
no tests atm but here's some "Castform vs Acid Weather" anyway
(Sealeo = Platinum)

Sealeo was sent out
Gastly was sent out

Sealeo used Hail
Gastly used Lick.
Sealeo Paralyzed
Hail falls.

Sealeo switch for Weavile
Gastly used Lick
Hail hits

Weavile used Pursuit!
Breloom switched to Castform.
Sun shines. Damage
Sand - damage
Rain - damage

Castform still in Normal forme.
Acid Weather does not affect Castform's Form Changing

So I was wondering, I know that Snow Cloak makes even non-Ice-type Pokemon take no damage from Hail, but I do not know if the same can be said about those Pokemon with Snow Warning. My research question is as follows:
Do Pokemon with Snow Warning take no damage from Hail even if they are not of the Ice-Type?
I expect that they wouldn't, since that makes sense, but I wouldn't put it past Gamefreak to overlook that.

Thanks in advance.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
If a Snow Warning isn't Ice type they still take Hail damage since they're not part Ice.

Hey, so Bulbapedia reports that a male holding an Everstone will pass on its nature 50% of the time as well as of Gen IV. I'm attempting to confirm this now, but has anyone tried this?

This is a DEFINITE CONFIRM: Quiet Daddy produced 3 in 5 Quiet kids when papa held an Everstone.

Note that this is on SoulSilver.

I tested to see if the Everstone Effect from a male Pokemon stacks with the Power Item Effect from a female Pokemon. It worked - When a 31-Attack-IVed female Nidoran holding a Power Band bred with a Naive Snorlax holding an Everstone, three out of five children were Naive and all had inherited the 31 Attack IV.

I tested to see if the Everstone Effect from a male Pokemon stacks with the Power Item Effect from a female Pokemon. It worked - When a 31-Attack-IVed female Nidoran holding a Power Band bred with a Naive Snorlax holding an Everstone, three out of five children were Naive and all had inherited the 31 Attack IV.
Yeah--I noticed that too and was extremely grateful.

Has anyone figured out how the inheritance formula has changed for HGSS? As in, is the Power Item stat an EXTRA stat that's passed down, or does it replace one of the three (and if so, WHICH of the three) stats passed down through the original breeding process?

I can tell from my own breeding yesterday that if both parents have a power item, they do not both pass down 100%. You definitely get one or the other but not both.

Would an Everstone on a genderless when breeding with a Ditto work the same way?

EDIT: Did some testing. Relaxed Electrode with Everstone breeding with Ditto. Of the five Voltorbs hatched, three were Relaxed.

I can tell from my own breeding yesterday that if both parents have a power item, they do not both pass down 100%. You definitely get one or the other but not both.
This has been known for a while and is rather unfortunate.

Glad to hear the Everstone trick works on Genderless breeds, too.

Has anyone delved into how exactly the Safari Zone works?

Of course, I mean mud and bait.

For one, by exactly how much is the capture/flee rate raised/reduced for their respective thrown items?

Since Mud has a chance of raising the capture rate without raising the flee rate of a pokemon (when it says "___ is beside itself with anger!" versus "___ is angry!") and the opposite is true for Bait, is it possible the game rolls a die that determine which message is read and subsequently which result results?

Is it also possible that when the game rolls this metaphorical die, that a range of rates are chosen? For example, could one ball of mud increase the capture rate by 1.1x, while the next raised it by 2x? Would it roll another die to determine whether or not the flee rate is also increased? Would it roll a third to determine by how much the flee rate is increased?

In Generation 3, at least, this is how the Safari Zone works:

Each Pokemon has a so-called "escape rate" (different from catch rate). When a wild Pokemon appears in the Safari Zone, two variables, G and E, are set as follows:

G = catchrate * 100 / 1275
E = escaperate * 100 / 1275

G and E each can't be less than 3 or greater than 20 at any time. When the player throws a rock,
both G and E are doubled. When the player throws bait, both G and E are halved.
When the player throws a ball, the initial catch rate, as used in the catch rate formula,
is set to:

catchrate = G * 1275 / 100

At the end of each turn, if a random number from 0 through 99 is less than 5 times E,
the Pokemon flees.

Each division above is rounded down.

That's how the Safari Zone works in generation 3. However, I can't say whether this remains unchanged in generation 4.

This is a useful gllitch I discovered in Hg/Ss that allows you to extend the time a swarm lasts:

I just discovered a neat glitch for keeping a swarm of pokemon active for more than one day:

- Save the game on a day where the swarm of pokemon you want is active
- When it is the next day or a few days over, reset the clock on your DS backwards to before midnight.
- Turn on your game, check and the swarm of pokemon you want should still be active. However since you reset the time but not the day, the game will keep the current day yet will have that swarm from the previous day today.
- Save your game
- Change your clock back to the proper time.

I noticed this when I realized I had missed the Chansey Swarm yesterday, it was around 12:30 am so I reset my clock to 11:30 PM, turned on my game but realized that the pokegear was saying it was 11:30 PM on Friday and not Thursday since the Calendar day changes separately. Noticed I still had a swarm of Chansey, I then saved my game, set the clock correctly to 12:40 and then saw I still had a Chansey swarm as a result (instead of the Baltoy swarm that was suppose to come the next day).
I don't know if it has ever been mentioned or discovered before but I figured you guys should know.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Turns out that Liquid Ooze doesn't work on Dream Eater. I read it on Bulbapedia and decided to test it out. Tentacool and Tentacruel that drained my HP when I used Giga Drain did not do so when I used Dream Eater.

EDIT: Man, it's been so long that I can't even remember how to submit changes to the StrategyDex. Whoops.

HG/SS Breeding with EV Items

I had originally asked this in the Simple Questions thread, but I believe it deserves its own thread now due to the complexity of my additional questions.

In HG/SS, when an EV item is used to pass down an IV in breeding, do 3 additional IV's get passed down, or do only 2 more get passed down from parents?

I pretty much know that the answer is 2. However, the answer I received was this:

StarBP:

Here is how I believe IVs are inherited. The baby begins with random IVs, then receives three random IVs, each from a random stat and from a random parent. In each iteration, if the parent is holding an item like Power Anklet, it will receive the IV for the stat that corresponds to that item instead of for a random stat. Keep in mind though that this theory is untested.

Assume, for example, that the mother holds a Power Bracer and the father holds no item.
Iteration 1. The game chooses a Defense IV and the game chooses the mother. The game changes the IV inherited to an Attack IV since the mother holds Power Bracer. The baby inherits the mother's Attack IV.
Iteration 2. The game chooses a Special Attack IV and the game chooses the father. The baby inherits the father's Special Attack IV.
Iteration 3. The game chooses an Attack IV and the game chooses the father. The baby inherits the father's Attack IV.

Note that at the end, the baby inherits the father's Attack IV instead of the mother's, even though the mother holds a Power Bracer. Moreover, there is a 1/8 chance that the game won't choose the mother to inherit IVs at all. That's why Power Bracer and the like don't guarantee that the baby will inherit the holder's IVs.
Now, my question is, if the mother holds a Power Bracer, and the game chooses these three:

Mother's Special Attack
Father's Speed
Mother's Special Defense

then I know the first time the mother's Attack will be chosen (due to Power Bracer), and the second time the father's Speed will be chosen, but the third time which one will be chosen: Mother's SpDef, or Mother's Attack? In other words, does the Power Bracer take effect more than once?

Could someone answer this using their game (I have neither HG nor SS atm)? Also, could you verify poccil's claim that there is a 1/8 chance that the value would not get passed down at all? I was originally under the impression that the items replaced the first stat chosen no matter what the RNG says. However, poccil claims that it is based on which parent the RNG chooses. Basically, if the mother holds a Power Bracer, and the game chooses these three:

Father's Special Attack
Father's Speed
Father's Special Defense

will the mother's Attack be chosen in lieu of the father's SpAtk, or will the item be bypassed? Please help the community by answering these questions. It would be appreciated if the results of your research were added to X-Act's Breeding Guide.

I've never had it happen that only one parent was holding an EV Item and that stat was NOT passed down. And I've been doing a LOT of breeding as of late.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
The description is a bit odd.
Let me flow chart it for you:

To answer your question, if the Mother holds a Power Bracer, the game will always pass the Mother's Attack IV to the child, due to the existence of said Bracer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)