Reuniclus

Imagine an image of Teddy Bear Rotom here, because I got none!
Rankurusu, AKA Teddy Bear Rotom

In a world full of new threats...in a world with Ononokusu, Sazanado, Hihidurama, Warubiaru and Doryuuzu, there will be that which flies under the radar. Before you, I present a candidate that could do major damage, an underrated threat!

Beware the Teddy Bear!

Code:
[B]#579 Rankurusu[/B]
Typing: Psychic
Ability 1: 
   Dust-Proof
    This pokemon is unaffected by weather,
Ability 2: 
   Magic Guard
    Prevents indirect damage. More in-depth information [url=http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/magic_guard]here.[/url]

Ability 3: 
   Regeneration
    This ability heals 1/3rd of this pokemons HP when switching out.

HP:  110
Atk: 65
Def: 75
SpA: 125
SpD: 85
Spe: 30

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Psywave
Lv1: Reflect
Lv1: Rollout
Lv1: Snatch
Lv3: Reflect
Lv7: Rollout
Lv10: Snatch
Lv14: Hidden Power
Lv16: Light Screen
Lv19: Charm
Lv24: Recover
Lv25: [M473]
Lv28: Endeavor
Lv31: Future Sight
Lv34: Pain Split
Lv39: Psychic
Lv41: Dizzy Punch
Lv45: Skill Swap
Lv54: Heal Block
Lv59: [M472]

[M472]: [M472]: Other Psychic PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- 
[E119](Dunno what this means. Help?)

[M473]: Special Psychic PP: 10 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100
[E11A](Dunno what this means either)

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
TM03 - Psycho Shock
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM63 - Embargo
TM64 - Explosion
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM77 - Psych Up
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon,
TM92 - Trick Room
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength
A very large movepool for a very diverse pokemon. Let's take it easy, take it slow and take it steady and dissect this behemoth.

• Magic Guard
    The first thing notable about this little bear is it has the ability Magic Guard, an ability only learned by 4 Pokemon(Itself, Clefable, Shinpora and Dream World Alakazam). With this, Rankurusu has nothing to fear from Sandstorm or Hail chipping at it's HP, Toxic/Toxic Spikes crippling it or any entry hazard making switch-ins difficult. This also means that Rankurusu can switch into a poison move to become essentially impervious to status conditions.
  • An absolutely huge movepool
    Have you ever wondered what would happen if Clefable and Teddie Roosevelt had some kind of sick and twisted love child? Judging from this moveset, your dreams have been somehow answered. Thunder Wave, Explosion, Psycho Shock, Reflect, Light Screen, Recover, Trick Room and Substitute are just some examples of Rankurusu's very nice movepool. While it means he's liable to run into moveset syndrome, it also gives him excellent options.
  • Good stats, especially defenses
    Clefable's Magic Guard was great, but it's stats often let it down in OU play. But with 110/75/85 defenses, Rankurusu can more than take a hit, and with 125 base Special Attack(Only 10 less than Alakazam!) can dish a hit out. It's 30 base speed can be dissapointing, however.
  • 101 HP Subs
    With 110 base HP and the ability to learn Substitute, Mr. Bear can use the coveted 101 HP Substitute to safely set-up behind Seismic Tosses/Night Shades. Given it also has Calm Mind access, and maybe even Recover on a Croset, it can set up in the face of some weaker mons. Or run a MYSTICgar-esque set!
  • Focus Blast to deal with Tyranitar and other DARK Pursuiters
    The bane of the psychic type is the "Checkmate" situation. Facing a Crunch or a Pursuit to be KO'd. However, Rankurus takes a "Gengar" solution to the problem(With only 5 less Base Sp. ATK!) and can Focus Blast Tyranitar into oblivion. Due to it's high defenses, it can also take a Pursuit if it doesn't switch, turning it into a light prediction match.
With all these insane moveset ideas, you just KNOW there's gonna be some insane Sets below!

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. ATK / 6 Speed
Nature: Modest(+Sp. ATK -Atk)
~ Psycho Shock / Psychic
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball
~ Recover / Thunder Wave / Thunder / Grass Knot / Energy Ball

With Magic Guard, Rankurusu takes no recoil from Life Orb while keeping it's damage, allowing it to become a bulky sweeping type. Psycho Shock is the main damage dealing move, making Blissey sad to wall it and giving it some kinda psuedo-mixed capabilities, while Focus Blast puts a hurting on Steels that want to resist Psycho Shock and Tyranitar. Shadow Ball provides "perfect" coverage with Focus Blast and allows you to hit incoming Ghosts hard.

The fourth move is heavily dependant on what you want Rankurusu to do. Since it has no need for speed, 252 HP and Recover can allow Rankurusu to be quite bulky with it's defenses, while Thunder Wave allows it to lay down some status support to help the team. Alernately, Thunder gives it the most powerful option to lay the smackdown on any water type, with Grass Knot or Energy Ball providing reliable alternatives.

Because of Rankurusu's crap speed, no EVs are invested into it, instead going into HP for maximum bulk.

Rankurusu @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Defense / 102 Special Defense
Nature: Relaxed(+Def -Speed)
IVs: 0 Speed IVs
~ Trick Room
~ Recover
~ Explosion
~ Psycho Shock / Psychic

A defensive Trick Room Rankurusu. With 20 speed, it's almost guarenteed to go first, after which you have two options: Switch out and get 3 turns of Trick Room and come back with a very bulky Trick Room setupper again later, or explode it to get maximum damage and use of Trick Room? Even with 65 base attack, it will put a dent into anything with Explosion. Finally, Psycho Shock / Psychic is the standard STAB move of choice.

The EVs give it balanced defenses, while the nature shores up the lower defense and lowers speed for Trick Room.

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Defense / 252 Sp. ATK
Nature: Quiet(+Sp. ATk - Speed)
IVs: 0 Speed IVs
~ Trick Room
~ Psycho Shock / Psychic
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball

Offensive trick room. Again, after Trick Room Rankurusu will often go first, after which it can fire off strong moves off base 125 Sp. ATK with perfect coverage while retaining great bulk. It also avoids Life Orb recoil thanks to having Magic Guard, essentially giving it a "free" boost to it's attacks.

There's not much to say here. It's straightforward and to the point.

Rankurusu @ Leftovers / Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard / Regeneration
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Defense / 102 Special Defense
Nature: Bold(+Defense -Atk)
~ Recover
~ Thunder Wave / Toxic
~ Psycho Shock / Psychic
~ Substitute / Safeguard / Reflect / Light Screen

Defensive wall/support Rankurusu. Taking the balanced defense from the Trick Room set and putting it over here, it's main purpose is to stall with Recover and send out Toxic/Thunder Waves to the enemy. Psycho Shock / Psychic is for constant damage. The last move is mostly a choice of various supporting moves, be it to protect itself with Substitute or psuedo-pass any of the screens/Safeguard to the rest of your team.

Leftovers is recommended, but Toxic Orb can be an option to stop status like paralysis on your Rankurusu. However, with 20 base speed and no chance of being fully paralyzed Rankurusu doesn't fear paralysis much anyway, so this isn't recommended. Regeneration is also an option, letting you heal back a lot of damage when forced to switch, and being a non-SR weak wall not running LO the greatness of Magic Guard is slightly reduced.

These are just some preliminary sets. I wanted to get out a Dual Screen set, but I'm quickly running out of time!

Go, my teddy bear rotom friends! Go and conquer!

Ramnurusu @ Leftovers
Regeneration Bold 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD

Recover
Toxic
Psychic
Reflect/Substitute

That is a solid defensive platform; it always survives an adamant tyranitar's unboosted crunch (Or pursuit on switching out) after SR + 1 layer of Spikes (While always having enough health to survive another swap into the same hazards!), and regeneration will have you coming back in at around 33% when you get back in. Couple regeneration with *Possible* recovery or wish support and you have a solid defensive pivot. Also, regeneration + leftovers far out heals adamant lucario's LO Close Combat, so you can switch in on the CC, then pivot to your *Insert valiant heart pokes name here* and shut it down (While gaining an attack boost for the switch in!).

Recover keeps you healthy, while toxic deals passive damage. Psychic is a horrible stab, but you need one. The last slot is between reflect and sub. Reflect lets you handily beat scarfTar (Crunch/Pursuit on switch) deal a max of 34.4 with that spread under reflect, so you can poison it, and then just recover until they switch;however, sub lets you scout switches and beat blissey 1V1 assuming you have a sub up as she comes in (Sadly enough blissey is faster lol) so you can poison her while she can not status her. As an added bonus, regeneration heals more than substitute takes away!

Rankurusu @ Leftovers
Magic Guard
Modest
252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psycho Shock/Psychic
- Focus Blast/Shadow Ball

EVs/Nature/Items are tentative because I haven't seen a complete list of available items and the metagame doesn't exist yet. But Magic Guard + Recover + Calm Mind is an amazing combination; Rankurusu doesn't really need Substitute because he can ignore Poison/Burn/Paralysis. Psycho Shock calculates damage using his Special Attack and his target's defense, essentially letting him blow though special walls like Blissey. The last move is for coverage--Focus Blast hits Tyranitar hard and Shadow Ball might save him from the new Shadow Taggers (although if you chose the latter you would be walled by Dark- and Steel-types.)

Is Flame Orb confirmed to be in Black/White yet?

In case anyone wanted to know the new moves...

[M472]Wonder Room: Other Psychic PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: All Def and SpD swapped for 5 turns.
[M473]Psycho Shock: Special Psychic PP: 10 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Calculate's damage with the target's Def stat.

These special attacks that target defense are making my mind spin!
They allow special sweepers to go Pseudo-mixed which is pure evil.

Anyway, this guy seems made for Trick Room.
Magic Guard/Regeneration + Recover + good bulk means he'll be able to stay alive for the long haul to support the TR sweepers.
Base 125 SpA + base 30 Spe + LO recoil immunity (assuming LO) means he'll be able to do some TR sweeping of his own in a pinch.

TR aside, Rankurusu's support movepool lives up to the Psychic typing.
Interesting stuff that hasn't been highlighted so far include:

-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Thunder Wave
-Explosion

With naturally high HP and decent defenses + the ability to go BOOM (albeit off a mediocre attack) I see a rather reliable dual screener here.
Actually, if the switch-in can take a hit Rankurusu doesn't have to be blown up since, with recover, it could probably pull off screens multiple times during a battle.
It would be cool if the Egg moves included U-turn or Volt Change.

Being able to wield focus sash with some level of competence probably is going to be his best use. If not, I'm thinking he'll be a UU/NU defensive pivot of some sort. A classic case of having the tools but not the stats.
As far as being a competent user of Focus Sash, I would agree if Zam didn't get Magic Guard from the Dreamworld. Zam is faster, hits harder and has an almost identical offensive movepool. Also it may be bulky enough that it doesn't need sash in trickroom(I'm not sure really)?

Code:
[B]#579 Rankurusu[/B]
Typing: Psychic
Ability 1: Dust Proof
   This Pokémon is unaffected by weather.
Ability 2: Magic Guard
   Prevents indirect damage. More in-depth information [URL="http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/magic_guard"]here.[/URL]
Ability 3: Regeneration
   When this Pokémon switches out, it heals 33% of its HP.

HP: 110
Atk: 65
Def: 75
SpA: 125
SpD: 85
Spe: 30

[B]Level Up Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Psywave
Lv1: Reflect
Lv1: Rollout
Lv1: Snatch
Lv3: Reflect
Lv7: Rollout
Lv10: Snatch
Lv14: Hidden Power
Lv16: Light Screen
Lv19: Charm
Lv24: Recover
Lv25: Psycho Shock*
Lv28: Endeavor
Lv31: Future Sight
Lv34: Pain Split
Lv39: Psychic
Lv41: Dizzy Punch
Lv45: Skill Swap
Lv54: Heal Block
Lv59: Wonder Room**

*Psycho Shock: Psychic Special Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100
                       Calculates damage with the target's defense stat.

**Wonder Room: Psychic Other Power: --- / Accuracy: --- 
                      All Defense and Special Defense are swapped for 5 turns.

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
TM03 - Psycho Shock
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM63 - Embargo
TM64 - Explosion
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM77 - Psych Up
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM92 - Trick Room
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength

[B]Egg Moves: [/B]
Night Shade
Astonish
Confuse Ray
Acid Armor
Trick
Imprison
Secret Power
Astonish
Fixed up a few things in the information.

Rankurusu is already in my future in-game and competitive team. Take note that Ranku also learns Trick as an Egg Move, which I am basing my build on:

Rankurusu@Choice Specs
Magic Guard/Regeneration
252 HP/156 Def/102 SAtk
Bold/Modest
-Trick
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Recover

This thing can come in on Fighting moves at will, and the Defense EVs help cushion the blow since most of the time you'll be switching into Physical attacks. I'm just not too sure about the nature since I can't test this out yet, but I'm prioritizing Defense on this one, built just like Trick Porygon2.

Another option could be to simply dump EVs in Defense so it won't be auto-kill to Tyranitar's powerful Pursuit, in which case, Regeneration might be the better ability since after Tricking a Specs onto a TTar on the switch in will greatly reduce the damage Ranku will take from Pursuit as you escape, healing up close to 100% health in the process.

EDIT: Also, you may ask why Defense instead of Special Defense, which is naturally higher for Rankurusu. Well, as I've said, most of the switches you want to make are into Fighting type moves, which tend to be physical. Being weak to physical Pursuit too, makes the Defense EVs even more attractive, in which case, 252 Defense EVs + Regeneration really go a long way to making sure Ranku stays alive to use that newly-acquired Choice Band on a Blissey later on :)

I love this poke, I'm really curious to test it out and regenerate is broken as hell with it's massive HP. This will be a great check to a ton of the new powerful fighting pokemon released and I will definitely be fitting this on my teams /cresselia in the new metagame. Freakin' cute too lol

oh gawd, i just realized that ranku learned thunder, which could be useful, but makes you a sitting duck against kaminagator with its psychic/electric immunity. focus blast > thunder

YES, my instant fave since the leaks started is actually good! Love it. WithPsycho Shock, it could be a great Wallbreaker too, not being crippled by any status AND being considerably bulky as well:

Rankurusu@Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EV: 252HP 252SpAtk 6Def
Moves:
- Recover
- Psycho Shock
- Focus Blast
- Wonder Room
Comments: This one practically always hits on the weaker defense with high power AND good bulk, as its usual opponents(walls) don´t deal much damage and can´t even hope for status help. Wonder Room switches all SpDef and Def stats for 5 turns, screwing up walls majorly, even when they don´t face Rankurusu itself.

Item choice is up to preference. I like my wallbreakers nice and strong, while others might prefer lefties recovery.
EVs are straight forward. 252HP and SpAtk to make use of its strong points.

I don't know why but I assumed it would be faster. I really like how it looks though, I'm curious on how effective this poke on will be.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have to love this thing. Sure its speed is a lt down but its got a simply awesome movepool. Something like CM + Substitute will be deadly since it will be hard to break its Subs. heck if it got Baton Pass it would be very dangerous. Personally I mainly see its use as suppoting since with Recover and Regeneration and Leftovers it will last a long time. It can also make for a nice Duel Screener. I will have lots of fun with this things versitility!

I can see this thing used on offensive teams to break stall apart :) cm set will be pretty hard to take down

I get the feeling that the default LO attacker set should be something like;

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
EVs: ? HP / 252 Sp. ATK / ? Speed
Nature: Modest (+Sp. ATK -Atk)
~ Psycho Shock / Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast
~ Thunder Wave
~ Recover

With enough speed to outrun certain threats after Thunder Wave. It gives it a lot better support capabilities, and I can't think of all too much that Ghost/Fighting/Psychic covers better than Fighting/Psychic. Not many ghosts like Twave, Psycho Shock off of 125 SpA and LO will hit them pretty hard, and you can just switch out to something appropriate. Getting Twave on most Psychic types is pretty good anyway. There's a few situations that you'd rather have Shadow Ball, certainly, but I think that Twave is generally more useful. And, letting it be faster than stuff, such as Ttar on the switch, is great.

I have to love this thing. Sure its speed is a lt down but its got a simply awesome movepool. Something like CM + Substitute will be deadly since it will be hard to break its Subs. heck if it got Baton Pass it would be very dangerous. Personally I mainly see its use as suppoting since with Recover and Regeneration and Leftovers it will last a long time. It can also make for a nice Duel Screener. I will have lots of fun with this things versitility!
Ya, well we know that it's not gonna be a sweeper but that's ok, because it's not built for it. It has so many movesets to be used, a good amount of support moves, and will surely be a hard pokemon to crack, it's not easy to predict this pokemon's moveset.

This poke is awesome, it needs a good bump. This is a really well balanced psychic pokemon unlike all the others we've seen in competitive play recently (azelf, zam, cress...) it's a bulky offensive with awesome abilities to back up it's bulk. Magic Guard could work great on a hail team with Regice but Regenerate could work as just a general bulky beater that has reliable healing. I'm definitely gonna have 5-6 copies of this pokemon in my PC for sure.

Stallbreaking and OTR is probably what this Poke is gonna do best. Magic Guard makes it almost impossible to deal with using stall (could change with new strategies, but can't be dealt with using conventional methods), while the same ability gives it a free Life Orb and a lot of "speed" in Trick Room. In Trick Room, it can beat Ttar, Gengar, Shanderaa, and most of the other problems it would usually face (sans Scizor, which it can't beat too easily).

Now that I think about it, the status platform set also looks pretty good. Lots of potential in this one, plus its design is awesome.

quick question: will magic guard prevent life orb damage?

also, i'm torn between psychic/psycho shock on this one, but then again, the pokes whose special defense you want to hit are resistant to the psychic-type anyway, so focus blast takes care of that. pwning blissey with a SPECIAL attack is just too sweet to ignore :D

Yeah, Magic Guard prevents Life Orb recoil. Psycho Shock vs. Psychic depends on who you want to hit. Psycho Shock has the obvious advantage of hitting Blissey, but Psychic can take care of Swampert, Gliscor, and other physically bulky Pokemon better. Keep in mind that if you're Calm Minding then Blissey has absolutely no way to stop you, and with Life Orb you can easily 2HKO it after enough CM boosts.

Yeah, Magic Guard prevents Life Orb recoil. Psycho Shock vs. Psychic depends on who you want to hit. Psycho Shock has the obvious advantage of hitting Blissey, but Psychic can take care of Swampert, Gliscor, and other physically bulky Pokemon better. Keep in mind that if you're Calm Minding then Blissey has absolutely no way to stop you, and with Life Orb you can easily 2HKO it after enough CM boosts.
thanks for clearing that up wandy! i was asking because i wanted to employ a SubOrb strategy similar to ho-oh:

Rankurusu@Life Orb
Magic Guard
252HP / 4Def / 252SAtk
-Substitute
-Psycho Shock
-Focus Blast
-Recover

but then the sort-of low Def and SDef might let it down in the absorbing-of-hits aspect

magic guard +trick +flame orb offer another great option on this guy. with flame orb crippling one physical counter you then set up with calm mind/recover and whatever combination of two special attacks you prefer most.

I'm loving the opportunities with this guy. Psycho Shock, Trick Room, Wonder Room, Thunder, Focus Blast, a whole bunch of other moves to use, Great HP, awesome abilities and the competent use of Loads of items.

Roll on the Tardigrade.

I doubt Rankurusu will be OU. It has terrible STAB, is Pursuit weak, and has very low Speed. Trick Room still needs a turn to be set up, so Trick Room teams will suffer from the same problems this generation as the last. Stall is looking less and less viable due to unblockable Rapid Spin and numerous hard-hitting Pokemon, so Rankurusu will be a very niche Pokemon when used as a wallbreaker. I can see Rankurusu being a top UU contender, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)