Quagsire

Unaware Quagsire is just so good. I really don't think he needs any worry from Gastrodon anymore. I was viewing a match the other day that really showcased its potential, countering Doryuzuu and Dragonite in the same match with Unaware, Encore, Recover, Toxic and Surf I believe. He really is underrated, I suggest everyone try him out and see for yourself.

He doesn't worry about stat boosts at all, Encore helps your team out loads if you get them on a stat up because they're effectively wasting their time on him which you can proceed to Toxic, switch to a counter, etc.

A minor nitpick here: for the first set, having Boiling Water and Yawn/Toxic seems a bit redundant because if you poison or sleep a physical attacker, you can't burn it. You could use Encore instead if it's legal with Unaware and Recover.

Ice Punch isn't possible with Unaware.

Personally, I run this set.

Ditto gay@Leftovers
Unaware - +Def -Atk
252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
-Toxic
-Haze
-Recover
-Ice Beam

Quagsire isn't immortal, and Haze is here for it.

A set that has worked really well for me on PO has been

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk) or Impish (+Def, -SpAtk) *I use Careful
Unaware 252 HP/252 Def/ 4 SpDef
-Curse
-Waterfall
-Amnesia/Return/Earthquake
-Rest

Basically switch in on a physical setup sweeper, particularly Dragon Dancers, Bulk Up-ers, etc, and begin to Curse. Amnesia if opponent is mixed or if you fear a Special switch-in. Once health gets semi-low, Rest it all off. I have swept several teams with just this Quagsire, surprisingly. Unaware was a great gift for it.
Also, as mentioned above, Return can be used in place of Amnesia for better coverage, or Earthquake can be used to take out Burungeru or Empoleon, who resist or are immune to Water/Normal, since even things that resist Waterfall (such as Dragons) can't really take a +6 STAB Waterfall well, no matter how slow the user is.

Also DW Wooper has already been released, meaning you can use it in Wi-Fi without fear of Ditto picking off a weakened Quagsire.

If Quagsire runs Unaware, will the stat boost negation be enough to let him take neutral water attacks? Should he run amnesia?

I use Quagsire a lot, and I can't see myself taking unaware over water absorb. Water absorb allows him to take down bulky waters who would probably dominate him with stab surf. It'll be nice to be able to switch into swords dance scizor or heracross, but at the moment he's an awesome gyarados counter and you would be sacrificing that.

Water Absorb makes it an inferior Gamegaroge or Storm Drain Gastrodon. Unaware will be what makes this puppy shine.

I've been using Unaware Quagsire with Stockpile for a while and, despite the fact that he seems to be a bad luck's magnet, he will just refuse to die without the aid of 'untouchable' pokémon with Grass attacks (Nattorei, for example. If it doesn't get burned, Power Whip 2HKOes at +3 and Quagsire does pitiful damage with Boiling Water, while being immune to Toxic and Leech Seed healing more than enough), status and critical hits

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 216 HP / 108 Def / 184 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Toxic
- Boiling Water

The EVs and Nature give 385 HP and 233 in both Defenses, which go up to 582 after the third Stockpile, up to the point almost no Grass-type move can OHKO the Water Fish Pokémon (Say, nearly anything that isn't called Leaf Storm, and possibly some of these ones too). If needed, I can BP some Calm Minds from my Espeon. With that, Quagsire becomes almost impervious to special attacks while being able to do reasonable damage with Boiling Water

If it were faster, I would say that Quagsire could have been a surefire counter to Inconsistent pokémon, but they can set up a Substitute before Quagsire can Toxic them, so...

He's an excellent counter to Roobushin (Not sure about SubPunch sets), Doryuzuu and Ulgamoth

I still run it with Water Absorb. Works great, really. Water poke's are fairly common, and a free switch-in now and then is good.

I gotta say, Quagsire is the bomb. Even his crappy stats can pull off some crazy stuff. He just owns sooo many threats, it's crazy.

Quagsire, to me, is a prime example of a pokemon with completely average/ downright bad stats that for some reason, just works incredibly well. If you don't have a grass type move, or get lucky with a crit, this thing will not die.

Its a shame Ice Punch is illegal with Unaware, as it can check so much with it.

I don't think Ice Punch is much of a loss really. You have 394 HP and 295 Defense for Counter + Recover which works on everything, not just Dragons; it's only truly a loss when you need to take out a Poison Heal Gliscor or something (who won't care about your pathetic offense unless you sacrifice defense). Add in Protect + Toxic and you have something that can both stall and counter physical sweepers whether they set up or not. Having Reflect up is recommended in OU since it keeps Quagsire from getting 2KOed by Pokes who are simply that powerful. Yes, this set can be taunted, but taunt will ruin him no matter what you give your Quagsire.

Quagsire
Leftovers|Unaware
252 HP|252 Def
Protect
Toxic
Counter
Recover

I don't have EV's for this because I deleted my file but if I remember correctly it was this:

CroGsire
Quagsire@Leftovers - Unaware
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def - Careful
~Curse
~Waterfall
~Amnesia
~Recover

This thing is basically invincible unless the opponent Energy Balls it before it gets two Amnesias up or Toxics it.

...Or if he runs into a pokemon with water absorb haha

I don't have EV's for this because I deleted my file but if I remember correctly it was this:

CroGsire
Quagsire@Leftovers - Unaware
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def - Careful
~Curse
~Waterfall
~Amnesia
~Recover

This thing is basically invincible unless the opponent Energy Balls it before it gets two Amnesias up or Toxics it.

...Or if he runs into a pokemon with water absorb haha
I would argue that this isn't a true Cro mon due to not having Rest/Sleep Talk lol, but it looks kinda fun. Problem is predicting what side your opponent will try and hit you from, and not having a STAB nothing is immune to.

How does this look?

Quagsire-Leftovers
Sassy (SpDef+,Spd-)
252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Earthquake
Recover
Ice Beam
Boiling Water/Yawn/Toxic

Ice Punch may be the better option when put against Ice Beam, but until the 3rd version of Gen V gives us move tutors, it's the only Ice attack Quagsire's got.

I think the best set is max defense with EQ/Ice Beam/Recover/Toxic.

Walls any boosting dragon bar Mold Breaker Ononokusu, balloon dory cant come close to 2hkoing, if Rain Dance Kingdra uses DD its never getting past this, you can toxic any non grass/steel sweeper etc. it can be such a lifesaver surviving boosted attacks nothing else could.

I personally think every quagsire should have encore. It's just so freaking good on him. I run an unaware quagsire with encore/recover/ice punch/toxic. Has trouble with steels, but water/fire/ice types (pokes who resist ice) aren't usually a problem. Even if there's a problem, just encore and switch to whatever you need.

unaware doesnt ignore band/specs boosts, i know for a fact it doesn't on pokemon online.

Encore is a great move, more so if youre running an offensive team that relies on switching in on resisted hits. It only lasts 3 turns now I think, so you'll want something to take advantage of the encore immediately.

unaware doesnt ignore band/specs boosts, i know for a fact it doesn't on pokemon online.

Encore is a great move, more so if youre running an offensive team that relies on switching in on resisted hits. It only lasts 3 turns now I think, so you'll want something to take advantage of the encore immediately.
Yeah, I thought not, but it could always be a sim error. Anyway, Encore is fantastic, the problem here is that it impacts Quaggy's coverage pretty badly, but it definitely helps getting something else in safely. Nattorei is a pretty huge issue, however, as it can take his hits with ease and threaten with Power Whip.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, I was actually considering running Quasire on my team, but I'd like users' opinion on him; how successful is Quagsire in general on a specific team? Does it need minimal support or just something beyond that?

I'm intrigued by Unaware and the fact that Quagsire's near unkillable with Stockpile (especially when Kefka posted it on that Reuniclus thread).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)