VGC 2011 rules up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This would be like Nintendo saying "200 doubles is our standard metagame" during the Advance generation. It's certainly an interesting decision. This could turn out to be a sweet metagame, I really loved 200 when I started playing Advance. No move tutors, almost no Stealth Rock (although doubles teams don't usually run this), hardly any walls, it's too bad that they limited themselves to like 40 viable pokemon from the start though.

We might even see teams using Sandstorm (the move) like doubles teams used to use Rain Dance. No Sand Stream pokemon exist in Isshu, but Doryuuzu does. And it gets EQ and Rock Slide, effective moves in doubles. There also isn't much incentive to use any other weather, since only two pokemon get Swift Swim in Isshu (one through DW) and Sun has never really been great. This whole metagame is going to be Doryuuzu + Roobushin.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Well, first of all, I'm overjoyed that we finally have rules so I know what to RNG now. :) And I like the idea of a fresh new metagame (you called it Andreuy). However, I'm a bit concerned about how centralized this metagame could turn out to be. Last year we had what, 490ish mons to choose from. Take away the banned mons, and 95% of NFE mons and you get... 200ish (just off the top of my head). I just did a quick count, and excluding this years banned and NFE mons (most aren't useful) we only have around 75 to choose from.

seventy
five
:(

HOWEVER I don't want to start the "Oh, this year's meta is going to suck so hard wahwahwahgimmemybottle" party, so I'm going to get started with a hopeful attitude. There are still some awesome things to look forward to. They didn't ban the genies or the bull/horse/man/beast/thingies which are each awesome. And also, banning previoius mons gives mons like Sazandora and Onono a chance to breathe while Latios/Palkia/Garchomp/Latias/Flygon all sit on the sidelines. These new speed tiers are also going to be interesting. HOORAY FOR MEMORIZATION!! :D I still see this year's meta as being a 1HKO fest though with crazily overpowered "normal mons" like Hihi and Shandera, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. That was pretty fun last year IMO.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be terribly overcentralized too early on, especially since we US players have such an enormous head start. We can already RNG eggs (easily) and Captures (not as easily but hey it's possible) and we have rules. So we have a ton of time for this new meta to stagnate (hopefully not).

It's definitely going to be different. :)

[edit]
Also, can we get a source on this? Maybe a scan?

Now that this is out I'm planning my team in my head already. Let us hope that doesn't go to waste because they decided to be the dicks they are and neglect Australia again. I know for a fact that a few of my friends and I would have no qualms roadtripping it down to Melbourne to play if they decide to have it there instead of Sydney.

I can see everything being either Sand Storm with maybe a Sturdy SSer + Fake Outer.

So people expect to see some Kojondos and Zuruzukins along with the ever annoying Erufuun leading teams.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Thank you Dan. I don't even need to read it, I see the white boxes. That's enough for me.

And FYI erebody:

Voltolos / Landlos = Zap / Chomp

Yeah, Kojondo + Erufuun will probably be a very common lead, at least in the beginning. I was trying to find moves that could block Fake Out, and really the only feasible option is Fast Guard, which is learned by 4 Pokemon faster than Kojondo (Aekeosu and the Musketeer Dog Trio). Still does not block Erufuun's Taunt. I really cannot believe how awesome Kojondo is, at least for this metagame. Like, not only does it carry Fake Out, but it has Inner Focus!

The (unfortunate) only hope Sandstorm teams have from not being shut down by Kojondo + Erufuun is Focus SashKirikizan, the Dark/Steel, who knows Inner Focus and Sandstorm. The next problem is you need Kojondo to guarantee that Erufuun protects/is shut down, meaning half of your Sandstorm Team of Terror exists to try and get the weather up. The boost, however, is that Fast Guard Kojondo will save your sweepers (no Mach Punching Doryuuzu, although how long Kojondo can survive is another question altogether), so I guess it works out in the end. Then again, if the opposing Kojondo carries Taunt, then you are completely screwed in your efforts (thanks to the opposing Kojondo's Inner Focus).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Unfortunately though, there seem to still be a lot of unknowns. Namely, what about DW abilities.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately though, there seem to still be a lot of unknowns. Namely, what about DW abilities.
I think it's safe to assume that the only Pokemon for which DW abilities will be allowed are the two that already have them - Hihidaruma's Daruma Mode (which sucks to use, period) and Musharna's Telepathy, which is actually useful in Doubles.

Well only 2 isshu pokes current have been released with DW abilities and both are gotten in game not the DW so its kinda doubtful on any DW abililities unless they are released pre-VGC

Do you think they'll have a restriction on Egg Moves that require parents not part of the Isshu Dex or would that be going too far?

I'm pumped for this; we all have to use Pokemon we're not comfortable with!

Yay for Follow Me being not as common. :P

EDIT: NO DARK VOID, ECCENTRIC DITTOS, ABOMASNOW, TTAR, LUDICOLO, OR WEAVILES

LOVING THIS METAGAME

So, you know, isn't it possible that the rules extend to all Pokemon caught within Isshu?

So you don't have to deal with, say, the Regi, or Darkrai, or so on, but so long as you catch say an Isshu Metagross or Tyranitar those would still be legal?
It just seems to me that it would mean only these guys wouldn't be allowed.

And one hand it's possible it may exclude Dream World, but on the other hand they didn't outright exclude it.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm pumped for this; we all have to use Pokemon we're not comfortable with!

Yay for Follow Me being not as common. :P

EDIT: NO DARK VOID, ECCENTRIC DITTOS, ABOMASNOW, TTAR, LUDICOLO, OR WEAVILES

LOVING THIS METAGAME

Noooooooooooooooo why can't I use Weavile?!?! Why TPCi, why? Anyways, I really don't like these rules. Only 75 pokes to work with, and really it'll probably turn into more like 20. Ugh. Kojondo is my new favorite poke, though. :D:D:D

So, you know, isn't it possible that the rules extend to all Pokemon caught within Isshu?

So you don't have to deal with, say, the Regi, or Darkrai, or so on, but so long as you catch say an Isshu Metagross or Tyranitar those would still be legal?
It just seems to me that it would mean only these guys wouldn't be allowed.

And one hand it's possible it may exclude Dream World, but on the other hand they didn't outright exclude it.
Judging by the scan (NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO READ JAPANESE), it says "No001 ~ No148, No151". I'd assume it means "Players are permitted to used Pokémon numbered 001-148, as well as 151, FROM THE ISSHU DEX."

So yeah, this is going to be one new experience for all of us.... All the team types are going to have to be rechecked, and I have a feeling GoodStuffs will have a rise again.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
RN, I can't read Japanese, but I think this line of the rules:

seems to indicate that only Isshu #s 1-148 and #151 (landros) are allowed.

aha ninja'd!

When I saw the only Gen. 5 rule I was like >O

This is going to really change the metagame even more. With Kyogre and Groudon not being able to be used at all.

Lucariojr, no seal of approval for the rules? A shame.

I'm considering a really gimmicky SS team. It involves using the move SS.

It just occurred to me almost nothing can abuse Hail in Gen V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)