Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after all of the OU analyses and UU analyses are done, will there be a section on the main Smogon site to see the new Pokemon the way you can now see the Gen IV Pokemon?

Hi, im new \o/

Just got my pokemon white cuz of nostalgia of my old blue and gold version and just found out that pokemon has actually a competitive community and theres much more than spamming hydropump with my blastoise that this game has to offer, so as the good powergamer i am, here i am to learn2pokèmanz =)

On with the simple question(s):

- Is it possible to trade and get traded back the same pokèmon (to make it evolve)? I had read somewhere that you cant get your pokèmon back but hope it was a lie D: EDIT: Also bumping the above question, if its possible to trick-evolve it without trading xd

- Is any race of pokèmon capable of beeing competitive or there are substantial differences stats-wise and only a chosen group of pokèmons are good for competitive playing?

- Getting to know this IV/EV thing (i had no idea that pokèmons' stats could vary between the same specie and level) made be doubt about my old pokèmons D: now im kinda getting obsessed about maxed IV pokèmons and stuff (even if im just playing story mode atm, so can also forget about it).. My concerns are, oh well.. on with another question first:
are legendary pokèmons that overpowered? And, how do you get good IVs' legendary pokemons? You just softreset untill the RNG finds out the perfect combination? xd - Are those pokèmons tradable? Even tho having em maxed would be just for the sake of it since I think I understood that they're not allowed in tournements etc(?)

- Continuing what I was trying to say in the previous question.. mmh.. not. Im gonna go with another question first:
So at some point I was trying to figure out the IVs of my pokèmon.. somehow tho the values where over the maximum for that level, so I guess those pokèmons have got em boosted by EVs.. How can I see how many EVs got to those stats?

- Ok, now the question i wanted to make before but went down here for various reasons: getting a pokèmon with maxed IVs, with the nature you want, and with EVs in the right spaces looks like impossible..! How do ppl get their perfect pokèmons? Do they? Or just breed untill its "good enuff", even if not perfect? Or do they use codes/edit savegame/some epic tricks?

- Now, apart for the fact that cheating is bad, I guess that to a certain level (where you keep it to the limits of what the game can provide you, not creating pokèmons with 7843274hp or stuff like that, but keeping it cheated but legit-like) it can be ok, when on the other hand theres days of softresetting to make the RNG find you a perfect'ish pokèmon.. is it possible to use those cheats to make the RNG a bit less random with the IVs and stuff? Wich are the risks of doing that?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was told that the way wide lens and zoom lens work, is by taking a percent of the move's base accuracy. Is the way they work any different in gen V?
Do they apply like Hone Claws, as a simple boost to accuracy, do they provide a flat accuracy increase althogether, or do they really just increase each move's accuracy?

For example with Focus Blast, how would each lens effect it's overall accuracy? Because the way I was told it worked in Gen IV, it would max out at 84, and I really, REALLY hope that isn't the case.

Err, another question too; is there a potential reader dude in Black/White, to tell you if your guys are relatively superior, outstanding, ect, and if so(which I dearly hope), where is he?
First question: it multiplies the base accuracy by that amount. So a Zoom Lens Focus Blast, for example, would be 70*1.2=84% accuracy. This is completely separate from accuracy stage boosts like Hone Claws.
Second question: yes, in the Battle Subway.
Remember how there was a trick to evolve trade evolution pokemon in platinum? Well, is there any way to evolve pokemon like gurdurr and boldore through trade without a friend in black and white?
No, they fixed that (depending on your definition of "fixed," I suppose).
So after all of the OU analyses and UU analyses are done, will there be a section on the main Smogon site to see the new Pokemon the way you can now see the Gen IV Pokemon?
I think they're still waiting for usage statistics, but once that's done, I would be very surprised if they didn't do that.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Apologies in advance if this is a double post, but it's going to take me a while to respond and I don't want the asker to miss my edit.
Hi, im new \o/

Just got my pokemon white cuz of nostalgia of my old blue and gold version and just found out that pokemon has actually a competitive community and theres much more than spamming hydropump with my blastoise that this game has to offer, so as the good powergamer i am, here i am to learn2pokèmanz =)

On with the simple question(s):

- Is it possible to trade and get traded back the same pokèmon (to make it evolve)? I had read somewhere that you cant get your pokèmon back but hope it was a lie D:
If you trade it on the GTS, there is no way to get it back unless the trainer you traded it to puts it back up for some reason. There's no direct interaction between players, so you can't ask for it back. If you're trading something you want back, you'll have to trade it directly with someone whose friend code you have; in that case, they can just trade it back normally.
- Is any race pokèmon capable of beeing competitive or there are substantial differences stats-wise and only a chosen group of pokèmons are good for competitive playing?
This is basically what the tier system is about. While you can make use of Pokémon from any tier with sufficient skill, Pokémon in higher tiers will be better on average, especially for a new player (and, of course, there are a few like Farfetch'd and Unown that just suck no matter how skilled you are).
- Getting to know this IV/EV thing (i had no idea that pokèmons' stats could vary between the same specie and level) made be doubt about my old pokèmons D: now im kinda getting obsessed about maxed IV pokèmons and stuff (even if im just playing story mode atm, so can also forget about it).. My concerns are, oh well.. on with another question first:
are legendary pokèmons that overpowered? And, how do you get good IVs' legendary pokemons? You just softreset untill the RNG finds out the perfect combination? xd - Are those pokèmons tradable? Even tho having em maxed would be just for the sake of it since I think I understood that they're not allowed in tournements etc(?)
In the normal story, you really shouldn't worry about optimizing your stats; the difference in power isn't going to be worth the time it takes. Some legendaries are overpowered, some aren't; a general rule (by no means definitive) is that the ones with 670+ base stat total tend to be the overpowered ones. The only reliable way to get good IVs on legendaries is RNG abuse (soft resetting will only help if you get really lucky, with 887503681 possible IV combinations). They're tradeable just like any other Pokémon, nothing special about them in that regard. Whether they're allowed in tournaments depends on the rules of the particular tournament. For example, last year's VGC (Nintendo's official annual tournament) allowed up to two legendaries (not counting the event-exclusive ones, which are always banned for fairness reasons), but this year's doesn't allow any of the three legendary dragons at all.
- Continuing what I was trying to say in the previous question.. mmh.. not. Im gonna go with another question first:
So at some point I was trying to figure out the IVs of my pokèmon.. somehow tho the values where over the maximum for that level, so I guess those pokèmons have got em boosted by EVs.. How can I see how many EVs got to those stats?
Unless you want to cheat with an Action Replay or something like that, you can't. Usually when you get to the point of worrying about IVs and EVs, you're going to start planning every Pokémon you train from the moment you get it (before it has any EVs), so you'll check it then.
- Ok, now the question i wanted to make before but went down here for various reasons: getting a pokèmon with maxed IVs, with the nature you want, and with EVs in the right spaces looks like impossible..! How do ppl get their perfect pokèmons? Do they? Or just breed untill its "good enuff", even if not perfect? Or do they use codes/edit savegame/some epic tricks?
As I said before, the only way to consistently get good IVs is RNG abuse, which you really shouldn't worry about until you're more experienced with the technical aspects in general. EV training is actually quite easy, just time-consuming. In a nutshell, any particular species of Pokémon will always give the same EVs when you defeat it, so you just keep track of them in a chart.
- Now, apart for the fact that cheating is bad, I guess that to a certain level (where you keep it to the limits of what the game can provide you, not creating pokèmons with 7843274hp or stuff like that, but keeping it cheated but legit-like) it can be ok, when on the other hand theres days of softresetting to make the RNG find you a perfect'ish pokèmon.. is it possible to use those cheats to make the RNG a bit less random with the IVs and stuff? Wich are the risks of doing that?
I asked Nintendo about both RNG and legal hacks (that is, a Pokémon that you obtained by using Action Replay/Pokésav/another external device, but that still conform to what's possible in game). For RNG, their response was basically that it's frowned upon but allowed because they can't technically prove you did it. For actual cheating, they refused to comment on what will get you disqualified - rather, you will always get disqualified if you're caught cheating, but they refused to comment on what will get you caught. If you're serious about competitive play, I'd avoid cheating altogether just to be safe.

Unrelated note: you're using the wrong accent. It should be é, not è.

On the po server click the stats link at the top of the chat, it shows every tier, click the one you play and you get usage stats for every mon - click a mon for set usage.
Is the PO stats really that important?
I, general, only try to follow Smogon stats :/

Whimsicott on a rain team; is Hurricane a decent option, to avoid an attackless/U-turn varient? I feel like I could use the coverage of a flying-type attack(I have no psychic attacks, and see a large number of fighting types).

Would a modest Whimsicott with signifigant SpAtk investments and Life Orb deal signifigant damage with Hurricane? I tend to be bad at running damage calcs, but I'd like to see how powerful it could get, and if it could 1-2HKO prevailant fighting-types.

Unrelated note: you're using the wrong accent. It should be é, not è.
Beeing italian my proniciation would be wrong regardless of the accent I use XD

Thanks for the answers =)

Im wondering how long it will take to get a pokémon with maxed IVs abusing the RNG flaws.. T_T

Should I expect to match pretty much only maxed pokémons in wifi competitive battles? >_>

Ok, I suppose I could forget about this kind of things for now tho.. On my way to get the 5th badge =P

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Beeing italian my proniciation would be wrong regardless of the accent I use XD

Thanks for the answers =)

Im wondering how long it will take to get a pokémon with maxed IVs abusing the RNG flaws.. T_T

Should I expect to match pretty much only maxed pokémons in wifi competitive battles? >_>

Ok, I suppose I could forget about this kind of things for now tho.. On my way to get the 5th badge =P
I've heard people say they got a perfect Pokémon within an hour of learning it, so it mostly depends on how quickly you pick it up, and a bit of luck. It's hard to say how many people on Wi-Fi use perfect spreads, since you can't see your opponent's exact stats, but in tournaments you're definitely going to start seeing them once you make it past the first few rounds. But yeah, play the game first. It's supposed to be fun after all :P

If I want to SR for a latias on sapphire how would I go about doing it? When are the stats determined and whats the best place to find it quickly?

I've heard people say they got a perfect Pokémon within an hour of learning it, so it mostly depends on how quickly you pick it up, and a bit of luck. It's hard to say how many people on Wi-Fi use perfect spreads, since you can't see your opponent's exact stats, but in tournaments you're definitely going to start seeing them once you make it past the first few rounds. But yeah, play the game first. It's supposed to be fun after all :P
Yea, its my sick mentality of making a job out of any game >.<'

Tho was wondering, if someone with a flashcard makes backups of its savegame file and starts trading out maxed pokémons would they actually find that those pokémons are duplicated or something? Just wondering =P

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Yea, its my sick mentality of making a job out of any game >.<'

Tho was wondering, if someone with a flashcard makes backups of its savegame file and starts trading out maxed pokémons would they actually find that those pokémons are duplicated or something? Just wondering =P
It's fairly trivial using Pokésav to make Pokémon that are entirely indistinguishable from legitimate ones. HOWEVER, I have heard rumors that there is a secret "hacked" bit in a Pokémon's data that gets activated if it detects a flashcart/AR/whatever. I have no idea if there's any truth to the rumor, but I'm also paranoid.

Running some numbers, Modest 252 Whimsicott using Hurricane should be able to 2HKO a +SpDef nature, 252 SpDef / 252 Hp Conkeldurr (unless it has Leftovers, but also not including Stealth Rock, which I'm assuming no Conkeldurr would even bother to run these stats, or anything but Life Orb/Expert Belt). Can anyone verify this, and/or tell me what other fighting types I need to be sure to check against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)