CAP 12 CAP 1 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure that design would still be valid considering the direction the stats took. There's still, I think, something like a day left 'til this thread closes. I could use some feedback as to whether the original faux-griffin is still the way to go, or if people prefer the umbrella monsters.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Supporting Griffinmon, Cartoons! It's way cooler and has more personality, imo, and the backstory on umbrellamon seemed forced to me. i was really excited when you posted the griffin for the first time because I knew it would be one of the best designs in the thread. It still is, to be honest, and I hope you change your mind.

Umbrellamon is stellar and the female especially is one of the best fakemons I've ever seen. But griffonmon kicks her ass. I was ready to vote for him the day I saw it. If you can give it a more special attacker pose and write some flavor about how the disguise is also armor that explains his bulk I think you've got a real contender.

Cartoons! said:
I wasn't sure that design would still be valid considering the direction the stats took. There's still, I think, something like a day left 'til this thread closes. I could use some feedback as to whether the original faux-griffin is still the way to go, or if people prefer the umbrella monsters.
I really liked the faux-griffin design, and at the very least like it a ton more than your current design. I think the raw fluffiness and adorableness of the design worked, and quite frankly, it didn't look biased toward special or physical offense really, so it'd work for either. The umbrella, while a cute idea, just doesn't really sell it for me; it appears off, and I think it's a real stretch to say it's a Fighting-type at all.

Ok, please excuse the double post, but this one's policy related...

Our second competitive ability, Prankster, has been decided!

This means that all artists now have 24 hours from this post to submit their final submissions to this thread if they have not done so already. Also, please be mindful that your final submission follows all of the necessary rules in the OP! There were lots of disqualifications last time for entries not following rules, and people were pretty peeved at it, but rules are rules for a reason! I'll list a few of the most commonly broken rules so you guys can quickly check your work.

• Use a pure white background, not a transparent background.
  • The size limit for your final submission is 640x640 and not a pixel over in either dimension.
  • Your image must have a defined and clear outline to it. Basic Pokemon design props like Farfetchd's stick, if any exist for your design, must also have clear outlines. No blurring a Pokemon into the background.
  • No prop effects, movement effects, special effects, attack effects, background effects, or additional objects can be present in your final submission. Special effects part of a Pokemon's base design, such as Chandelure's flames, are allowed but must have clear clear outlines as stated in the just previous rule.
If you have ANY questions about your submission, direct them to one of our CAP moderators, Wyverii or Deck Knight. I can also answer your questions, although I'm not an official mod, so you should check with those mods anyway. DougJustDoug, a CAP admin intimately familiar with all of the rules (and the author of many of them), will also be scouting to make sure that submissions follow the rules. Please be careful, I don't want any of your submissions to get disqualified, and I know you didn't work on them to have them DQ'd either.

Good luck, artists!

Ok, please excuse the double post, but this one's policy related...

Our second competitive ability, Prankster, has been decided!

This means that all artists now have 24 hours from this post to submit their final submissions to this thread if they have not done so already. Also, please be mindful that your final submission follows all of the necessary rules in the OP! There were lots of disqualifications last time for entries not following rules, and people were pretty peeved at it, but rules are rules for a reason! I'll list a few of the most commonly broken rules so you guys can quickly check your work.

• Use a pure white background, not a transparent background.
  • The size limit for your final submission is 640x640 and not a pixel over in either dimension.
  • Your image must have a defined and clear outline to it. Basic Pokemon design props like Farfetchd's stick, if any exist for your design, must also have clear outlines. No blurring a Pokemon into the background.
  • No prop effects, movement effects, special effects, attack effects, background effects, or additional objects can be present in your final submission. Special effects part of a Pokemon's base design, such as Chandelure's flames, are allowed but must have clear clear outlines as stated in the just previous rule.
If you have ANY questions about your submission, direct them to one of our CAP moderators, Wyverii or Deck Knight. I can also answer your questions, although I'm not an official mod, so you should check with those mods anyway. DougJustDoug, a CAP admin intimately familiar with all of the rules (and the author of many of them), will also be scouting to make sure that submissions follow the rules. Please be careful, I don't want any of your submissions to get disqualified, and I know you didn't work on them to have them DQ'd either.

Good luck, artists!
Prankster? Cool, how lucky for me!

But concerning the 4th part, am I allowed to have the flames on my Rocket Boots entry? I mean, technically, it's not actually part of the design, the flames themselves are only emitted. But it's hard to show flight on this guy without the flames. So if someone could clear this up before my design gets rejected, that'd be super cool.

Oh wow, the Prankster ability is gonna kill practically all the submissions in this thread...

And to be frank, I think that's part of the reason why No Secondary Ability gave it such a close race in the poll. Just sayin'.

Cartoons, what compelled you to drop the griffin? The umbrellas are cool, but the griffing is just AMAZING and more obviously typed, too.

Griffin for sure cartoon, i think it does work with the current stat spread, actually even more then the umbrellamon which i can't see like special offensive.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Design Process

After starting out with a martial arts bird design and receiving lukewarm reception, I thought it would be better to restart from scratch and come up with a better source of inspiration. This led me to the concept of a fighting punching UFO, which was ultimately expressed in this design. The giant hand draws its inspiration from the idea that UFOs abduct people and animals by forcibly grabbing them from the surface of the Earth. The wings on its head are meant to evoke the winged helmet of a Valkyrie. It's got a mean grin cos it's a bad ass.

After receiving comments that it looked a bit too 'prevo-like', I decided to redesign it to look leaner and meaner. It was at this point that I fleshed out the red/yellow color scheme. You can see the design here.

Meanwhile, I had received some input from Rising_Dusk, it was his idea to work clouds into the concept, an idea which I ultimately agreed with. Not only does it discourage the comparisons to a Steel-type, but it also better represented the stat spread, which placed the emphasis on bulk and Special Attack. The decision was also made to give it two hands and make them disembodied a la Haunter, giving it more of a special attacker vibe.

The first iteration of the cloudy UFO design can be seen here.

The second iteration can be seen here. It's a side view and I reworked its wings slightly and gave it smaller eyes.

For the final design, you'll notice that I've made its eyes and wings a compromise between the first and second iteration. I've also made the hands more curvish and the cloud a darker color.

Backstory

It's a bird! It's plane! No...it's this thing...

For centuries, people have reported sightings of unidentified flying objects. The ancients depicted them in tapestries and paintings, while modern day enthusiasts document them in videos and photographs. Sometimes they turn out to be just strange cloud formations or weather balloons, but more often than not, it's this Pokemon.

This Pokemon is a solitary soul. It likes traveling alone across the sky, and is most active during the hours of dusk and dawn. Its cloudy and light composition allows it to move quite freely, and from its palms it can issue a wide variety of techniques. Its disembodied hands can also move quite far from its main body to ambush unsuspecting opponents. It's very competitive, and exudes the aura of a fighter. It will never back down from a challenge, and many weaker Pokemon know to pack their shit up and flee when this Pokemon is in the vicinity.

It adores chocolate pudding and apparently enjoys the film 'Pulp Fiction'.

Closing Comments

This is the first CAP in which I've played a more active role and actually followed the process from beginning to end, and I can honestly say that I've enjoyed it. Making the design and getting feedback and comments from people was a lot of fun, and I'm astounded by the amount of talent on display here. Good luck to all the other entrants, I thank you, and your country thanks you.

Precipice

Thats bull.
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

I'm unsure if this meets the criteria of 'clearly outlined' As there are obviously some features such as the wings, and shading on the feet which are white and therefore do not show very quickly, however, the best I could do at outlining it still looks incredibly shabby, but here it is nonetheless: http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/_Giggity_/CAPfinalsmall.jpg
Sorry i didn't have time to tidy it up, I've been so busy lately its unreal -.-

Also I've had a few people commenting when I've shown them WIP's saying they cannot see what this is. To put it bluntly this is a crane pokemon, imagine the one from kund-fu panda, wearing a chinese straw hat- like this one: http://www.partypants.co.uk/hats/chinese-straw-coolie-hat.jpg I've posed it taking a bow and thrusting its wings backwards.

Concept:

Based off of a crane- well obviously- I think it fits the theme quite well, I think there is no doubt that this is a flying mon (being based on a bird) and the crane is well known to be associated with fighting, having an entire martial arts style based around it.

I picture this to be an elegant graceful creature with fluid movements so that even in battle it appears calm and udisturbed.

Supporting Art-

Attacking Moves- http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/_Giggity_/CAPsupport.jpg

Previous Pose/ Colour Scheme-
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/_Giggity_/crane-1.png

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Pic

Thanks R_D for pointing out I was 10 pixels over

Supporting Material

It's based off of a flying frog. I tried hard to come up with a design that I thought would be effective from both the flying and martial arts perspective-- I wanted a design that could fly, while avoiding anything fluffy or feathery, features I deemed uncharacteristic of a "Kakutou" (Japanese for "Fighting-Type", literally "Martial Arts") Pokemon. I ended up going for something more biological than magical, with physical flying attributes rather than simply being surrounded by clouds or wisps.

Guys, I need to quote the OP for something a few of you seem to have skimmed over and not followed:
Final Submission Rules said:
Only make ONE Final Submission Post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your Final Submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any delete + repost will be treated as bumping, and subject to moderation.
Note the bolded parts. Please adjust!

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd have to say that Wyverii's and Aragornbird's submissions stand out to me most in this thread, with additional accolades to Fatecrashers, Energy Storm, SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET, and Cartoons!'s griffin concept. This will be a very difficult poll (no surprise).

I've decided I just don't have enough time to make a final submission. Good luck to all the other artists, hopefully I can find a bit more time and energy next time

until then i will keep pegsicorn in my CAP Art folder for the next time that it fits!

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Precipice: Your perspective on your final submission is just not coming across. The execution of your original pose is better and presents the design much more clearly.

I have time today so I might attempt to change the colouring on my Lemur pokemon. I think he fits everything well, so I'm not sure why he's not getting any support, but I like him and I've put enough time into the design that I'd like to make it the best it can be. I'm kinda bored with his colours, plus they're too close to Emolga's. Suggestions welcome!

DJD's submission just totally won because of the "Run, Scrafty, Run" picture.

Seriously, there are really good ones in this thread, but that one wins hands down.

i can draw some rather good design but the problem is i cant draw with computer program and i must make a picture of it with a camera and my drawing kinda looks so unclean.

Finally im sucks with giving color.

Can i gave my design though ?

My favourites so far are Cyzir's, aragornbird's (!!!) and chomzloh's. SoIherdyoulikeSENTRET's is very cool, as well. I'm really looking forward to this =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)