What aren't we writing about? (Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses)

We're also shying away from writing analyses for NFEs, unless they're either especially interesting or especially good at using Evolution Stone. In any case... "have at ye".
Lets do it.

Today I am nominating Machoke:

When one thinks of Machoke, it thinks of Machamp, with much higher stats. But when equipped with Eviolite, Machoke takes hits better than Conkeldurr, the reason that Machamp is outclassed. With NoGuard, Machoke is able to beat Machamp's checks, most notably Lati@s.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Donphan has been seeing a bit of use and I've seen it reference in other OU analyses as a good teammate. Perhaps?

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Donphan has been seeing a bit of use and I've seen it reference in other OU analyses as a good teammate. Perhaps?
Previous page. Go tell those people to replace Donphan with something else before they get flamed at.

Im also nominating Claydol. It is one of the best support Pokemon as it is resistant to Stealth Rock, immune to Spikes and TSpikes, has access to Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, and Dual Screen it can be a very effective support Pokemon, and has an immunity to Electric-types. It is also resistant to Rock-, Fighting-, and Psychic- type moves. Though it has weaknesses to Water-,Grass-, Ghost-, Dark- type moves, but that can be easily covered by teammates, such as Heatran.

Using a drought team also removes its water weakness, and eliminates it being frozen. Still it is also weak to Bug and Ice... That's alot of weaknesses.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Claydol has no business in a metagame infested with Tyranitar, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Swampert, Politoed, Latios, and so many others that can outright exploit its weaknesses and its blatant inability to stop setup threats. As a defensive Pokemon, it has serious, serious competition, and it needs massive defensive support to function.

breh

強いだね
claydol's uselessness is not related to the pokemon in the metagame - in fact, it can take their hits well enough - but more to its inability to damage anything. 70 base attack is terrible if you're not running moves that have high base powers (Brave Bird etc.) and Claydol thus struggles to do damage to anything.

TBH I'm not sure if its HP Fire 3HKOes Ferrothorn, lol

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Honchkrow, perhap, could see a mention, considering that, as a wall-breaker, it can take on many of the premier new walls of the generation (Conkledurr, Ferroseed, Jellicent) with its high power and excellent movepool. Also, STAB priority in Sucker Punch merits a mention.

AccidentalGreed

Honchkrow, perhap, could see a mention, considering that, as a wall-breaker, it can take on many of the premier new walls of the generation (Conkledurr, Ferroseed, Jellicent) with its high power and excellent movepool. Also, STAB priority in Sucker Punch merits a mention.
Honchkrow's been rejected multiple times.

That's completely different. Forretress has Rapid Spin, Sturdy, Volt Change, Bug typing, [Gravity and Screens] and Toxic Spikes over Ferrothorn, giving at least some competition between the two. Donphan only fills the niche of rapid spinning and in all honesty, there are much better options, i.e; Excadrill, Starmie, and Forretress. Hippowdon completely outclasses it when it comes to just tanking hits, which is really the only reason to even use Donphan over the aforementioned spinners.
You can't compare it to other rapid spinners as its typing is completely diferent, its like comparing Starmie to Excadrill. And excradrill is more much offensively oriented then Donphan. Also I should note that Donphan has signifigantly more attack the Hippowdon, and using it does not mean you are forced to make a sandstorm by using it, should I mention ice shard proirity too! I am not seeing this thing as outclassed at all.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
LC Leader
You can't compare it to other rapid spinners as its typing is completely diferent, its like comparing Starmie to Excadrill. And excradrill is more much offensively oriented then Donphan. Also I should note that Donphan has signifigantly more attack the Hippowdon, and using it does not mean you are forced to make a sandstorm by using it, should I mention ice shard proirity too! I am not seeing this thing as outclassed at all.
Donphan was discredited already; SDS's explanation is on the previous page. It has clacs on Ice Shard, too.

Those ice shard calcs are actually pretty good, many of them enough to pick off threats after a hard game. And my other 2 points are completely not mentioned there.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
since when was using sandstorm a bad thing in this meta. hippowdon brings more support and bulk. i would go on but SDS's reasoning is on the last page and are pretty much set in stone

Not everyone like 1/16 of there health taken off every turn, maybe they just don't want it. Honestly, I find it a bit nieve that you just are like "well sandstorm works on any team," becuase it just doesn't.

Sure more bulk, but support? I am not seeing Hippowdon spinning around or punching major holes in teams.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not everyone like 1/16 of there health taken off every turn, maybe they just don't want it. Honestly, I find it a bit nieve that you just are like "well sandstorm works on any team," becuase it just doesn't.

Sure more bulk, but support? I am not seeing Hippowdon spinning around or punching major holes in teams.
donophan cant even punch major holes, spinning is all it has. and having weather on your team is important in this meta not because it works on any team, but because if the oppoenent has control of the weather they normally have a better chance of winning. there are hardly any teams that dont run weather in this meta, making your own weather starter that important

I was thinking, would Swift Swim Seismitoad be good? It has okay speed (faster than Ludicolo at least) and is a tad weaker than Kingdra. It misses out on Waterfall but it can go mixed with Earthquake and Hydro Pump, and I've seen even Politoed murder things in the rain with Hydro Pump and it is only slightly stronger than Seismitoad. In the rain, Seismitoad will have double the speed and has an electric immunity. Also it gets Drain Punch.

I was thinking, would Swift Swim Seismitoad be good? It has okay speed (faster than Ludicolo at least) and is a tad weaker than Kingdra. It misses out on Waterfall but it can go mixed with Earthquake and Hydro Pump, and I've seen even Politoed murder things in the rain with Hydro Pump and it is only slightly stronger than Seismitoad. In the rain, Seismitoad will have double the speed and has an electric immunity. Also it gets Drain Punch.
No, it's base stats are too low to compete in OU. To boot, Swift Swim and Drizzle on the same team are illegal.

AccidentalGreed

druddigon could be viable in on a trick room team as a late game sweeper
Anything slow and powerful can be effective in Trick Room, which is what we're generally trying to avoid. If the Pokemon can set up Trick Room itself, or is extremely good or noticeably supportive (i.e. Rhyperior, Uxie, Dusclops...) while having good utility outside of Trick Room conditions, it deserves an analysis.

Druddigon doesn't have anything notable to speak for itself outside of Sucker Punch and base 120 Attack STAB Outrages (which is easily exploited by many things in the metagame).

Emboar deserves a shot. I think it's the best fire type for a TR team. A set like:

move 1: Superpower
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earth Quake
item: Air Balloon
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD

It's got a really nice move pool so you could toss in Overheat / Focus Blast / Scald if you're having problems with physical walls. It's not really going to have a problem with switching in either because the main TRers (Slowbro, Bronzong, Reuniclus) mostly have weaknesses that Emboar resists.

TR is probably going to be used more since the rise of Excadrill and Chlorophyll pokes (which Emboar has a SE way to counter all of them) have been passed for OU. For Emboar, I think this can pass as a notable niche.

Oh and SDS, I think you need to make the message on the OP about unreleased DW ablities bigger and flashier since it seems there's still people that don't read it.

Just don't bring up Emboar, it's defences and speed are too low to properly function in OU. Just delete your post before the flames (that aren't Emboar's).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)